Leaving It Ajar

Innocent Love

Ch. 8

Why hasn’t she been answering my messages? I even called a few times but her phone is always off. I haven’t seen her around campus either. And word started spreading fast that she has been MIA, especially if one has not been present for about a week.

I hope she’s okay. I don’t really know anyone that I’m close with that is also close to her. I don’t know why I care so much. Isn’t this only supposed to be a simple crush? Do I really have deeper feelings than that?

I was mindlessly walking through campus after my last class, several thoughts of Amber and where she might be or if she was okay floated around in my head.

If there was something wrong, I really hoped she would confide in me, but then I’m just being delusional. We haven’t even known each other that long and we aren’t even that close, at least not as close as I want us to be.

Why would she come running to a girl whom she met not too long ago when she has people like her buddy Key and her…boyfriend Minho?

I really feel like taking a bar of soap and washing my tongue out from saying that last part. I was so immersed in my thoughts that I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and resulted in me slamming into someone.

“Ow, my …” I groaned in pain, rubbing my injured bum.

“Your , what about my beautiful face?” I heard another groan of pain that didn’t belong to me and looked ahead to see who was it that I slammed into this time. I was surprised since this is the first time I ever ran into him on campus.

“Sorry…I wasn’t looking where I was going.” I said slowly getting up to help him. I reached out my hand as a nice gesture since it was my doing. He looked at my hand before back up at me. He suspiciously took my hand and I yanked him up from the ground.

“Thanks.” He replied as he starting patting himself down, making sure there’s no dirt or grass on his clothes.

“It was my fault to begin with.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Why so spaced out anyways?” He asked helping me pick up my scattered sheet music.

“Oh…Uhm…” I bit my lip, wondering if I should tell him about my endless thought of why Amber has been ignoring my messages or the fact that I miss her and it freaks me out that no one has seen her for the past week.

I looked up and he had an eyebrow raised at me, waiting for my reply and judging me at the same time.

“Do you know where Amber is?” I finally gathered up enough courage to ask.

“Ah, so you were thinking about that stupid dino. Ah, isn’t young love truly amazing?”

“I-I’m not in love!”

“Whatever and to answer your question, I don’t. I honestly don’t know where she is.”

How can her best friend not know where she is? I find that strange, is he telling the truth.

“And you are not curious as to she’s missing?”

“I know why she’s missing but I just  have no clue as to where she has run off to. This is one of those things were you just have to step back and let things run its own course and for her to fix it herself.”

“Isn’t there anything we can do? I know I haven’t known her that long but I still care for her…”

I really care for her, maybe more than I should…or am allowed to.

“Yes there is…but not right now.”

“I see…”

“Don’t look so sad, she likes you. She keeps saying how you’re such a good friend. She’ll be back, you’ll see.”

“T-thanks. I’ll see you around.” I gave him a small smile before heading back to my dorm.

I don’t know why but my heart feels heavy. She likes me, but only as a friend. I already know that but my brain won’t listen to my heart. Maybe I’m chasing after something that I know I won’t ever be able to grasp.

So why is that in my heart, I’m still hoping I have a chance?

 

Amber’s POV:

“Thanks for meeting me out here, Amber. It means a lot to me that you came.” He looked happy as I sat down in the seat in front of him. I actually debated on whether or not I should come but in the end, I’m not that kind of person and we’ve been through so much.

“No problem. It’s not a big deal.”

“It is a big deal. I’m sorry…I know I’ve said a million times already but…”

“It’s okay, I understand. I just wished you would’ve told me sooner instead of dragging this out like you did. But I forgive you.”

“I know…I only did because I still love you…” He said putting his face in his hands before letting out a big sigh. Why does he make this so hard for himself?

“I know but you have to love her now. This isn’t going to end well for anyone if you don’t let go.”

“I don’t want to let go! That’s the problem. I want to be with you but I can’t. And I hate him and life so much for it!”

“Minho…there are some things in life you can’t control or fight but what you can do is make the best of it. You can choose to be happy just like you can choose to be sad, like you are right now. Thing aren’t fair, we both know that but it doesn’t have to change your perspective on things.”

“I know but I don’t want to! I want to be happy with you! Only you! I’ve changed my mind! I should’ve stood up against him. Let’s run away, just you and me!” He grabbed my hands with his own and looked me straight in the eyes.

He means it and that I don’t doubt that but running away from this, especially from his family isn’t right. 

“We’ve already talked about this. It’s over, Minho. What’s done is done and I won’t turn back.”

“Is it because I didn’t tell you about this when it happened? Did you lose your love for me?”

“…Truth to be told I am still upset at the fact that you hid this from me and I was rather disappointed that you didn’t come talk to me about it. I thought we were closer than that. But I’m not angry nor do I not care for you anymore. I just think that…maybe this is…”

He let go of my hand and slumped in his seat.

“I don’t go around with the thought that God has my life mapped out for me but I do believe that things do have to happen for a reason sometimes and you either have two choices. To continue on that road or walk down the new one that has been laid before you.”

“I understand. I’m sorry and thank you…for letting me love you.” He said getting up from his chair. I got up as he reached my side of the table. He enveloped me in his arms and hugged me tightly. My arms instinctually went up and returned his embrace.

“You’ll find what you’re looking for one day.” I said as I pulled away and grabbed my jacket. I walked out of the café, looking straight. I don’t want to look like a jerk but I’ve already accepted it and I’ve already shed my tears. Now all I could do was look at the path ahead of me and maybe one day it’ll lead me back around.

 

No One’s POV:

It was a quiet day. A little past noon and the courtyard were filled with passing students rushing to their next classes. Though there were some students sitting down leisurely admiring the clear blue skies and cool breeze that brushes past their faces.

Krystal, the hard working student, sat at one of the few tables that occupied the courtyard. She crossed her legs, while staring down at her textbook looking rather peeved. She bit the pen that was on previously tapping on her notebook. She frantically flipped the pages, backtracking to a previous page.

She had a pair of earbuds placed snuggly in her ear as to distract her from any outside disturbance.

“Oh my god, is that Amber?!”

“H-her hair!!”

“I think my crush just turned into love!”

“I heard a rumor that Minho and her broke up.”

A bunch of voices could be heard as Amber crossed the courtyard. She was going to head to the library to catch up with the material that she has missed out on while on her week of absence until someone caught her attention from the corner of her eye.

He lips curved into a smile. She felt bad that she wasn’t able to reply to any of Krystal’s messages and calls since she shut it off due to personal problems. She excitedly walked over to the concentrated brunette.

Of course Amber was aware of the students having a meltdown with her change in appearance. But like always she always just brushes it to the side and gave them a small smile and wave.

Too bad Krystal was too immersed in own work and music that she didn’t see on coming heart attack that she was about to receive.

Amber sat down in front of the disheveled girl who had nothing in her mind than her notes. Amber chuckled at the sight before her and took out her phone and sent the girl across from her a message.

Amber witnessed as Krystal’s eyes shot towards her phone as it vibrated and shifted its place on the table.

“Look in front of you?” She read aloud and proceeded to do what the phone said. When their eyes met, Amber smiled at her like usual. Krystal’s eyes bulged out and she jumped out of fright not expecting for there to be some there. Maybe she should’ve been more aware of her surroundings.

“Hey, long time no see.” Amber greeted after laughing at the facial expression of the younger girl.

Since Krystal still had her earbuds on she only saw Amber’s mouth moving, she immediately pulled on the cord of her earphones and they popped out of her ear.

“Sorry, what did you say?” Krystal asked as if she was seeing a ghost. And there was something off about the short haired girl in front of her. Wait…short hair.

“I said long time no see.” Amber smiled. Krystal once again did not really process what Amber said but instead of staring at atop of Amber’s head.

Amber laughed again at Krystal’s cute antics. She waved a hand in front of her to snap her out of whatever was going through her head.

“S-sorry. N-nice haircut.”

“Thanks, I wanted to try something different and I’ve always wanted short hair and since there’s nothing stopping me now.”

“The blonde really suits you.” Krystal finally smiled, she hasn’t seen Amber since last week and even though Amber gave her a scare she was more than ecstatic to see her…whatever she’s feeling towards Amber, in front of her. Truthfully at this point, her heart was still thumping pretty hard in her chest and she didn't know whether it was from being scared or the fact that Amber' sface seemed to glow and her hair made her look more beautiful than she was before.

“Thanks, I thought it would a like a fresh new start for me.”

“Oh, so where have you been? I tried calling you. I was so worried.”

“I’m glad.” Amber smiled sweetly causing Krystal to blush. She doesn’t know why but this Amber is different. The same…but somehow different and she liked it.

“What?”

“I’m glad that you were worried about me.”

“O-of course! I care about you.”

Amber smiled warmly in return.

“Are you busy? I hope I’m not bothering you.” Amber eyed the pile of notes and textbooks.

“No, no. I needed a break anyways. So what’s up?”

“Want to grab dinner with me?”

“Sure, I’d love to.”

“Great, there’s this awes—“

Amber was about to get up and help Krystal gather her things when someone came dashing towards the Krystal and jumped on her back.

“Soojung! Amber and Minho broke up!” It was Sulli and she was smiling and happy she couldn’t contain he happiness that her best friend now has a chance to snatch up the music prodigy’s heart.

“Sulli! Don’t do that! And Amber’s in front of you, stupid!” Krystal said rather annoyed in Korean. Sulli looked towards the ‘boy’ that was seated in front of her best friend. She was shocked when Amber gave her a slightly awkward smile.

“Oh my gosh; I’m sorry! I didn’t recognize her. I didn’t mean it like that. I’m so, so sorry Amber.” It’s the truth, Sulli only thought it was a random guy that Krystal was talking to. But that alone should've been a red flag for Sulli.

“It’s fine. I’m pretty sure it was bound to be found out.”

“Again I apologize; I’ll call you later Soojung.” Sulli scurried away, embarrassed about what she had just done.

“Are you okay?” Krystal asked after she realized Amber’s smile faded.

“Yeah, it was a mutual agreement. I mean…” Amber grabbed Krystal’s hand, took her books, and led her the restaurant.

“Just because it’s over doesn’t mean I have to close the door completely in order to go through another.”

 

 

(A/N: Just popping in real quick. In the process of training for a new job i got so i'm sorry if my updates are taking longer than usual.

Anyways, got that Pink Tape bumping and guess who's going to KCON?!

Hope you guys enjoy this update. I'll probably let you know what exactly happened between Minber later but not now. Thanks for reading :)