Chapter 11

Goldilocks and the Dragon

AUTHOR’S POV

Dara is tip toeing on the lobby hiding from post to post, plant to plant and wall to wall. It has been two days now since the incident at the police station and she had been staying at Chaerin’s and as far as she know there haven’t been any pictures of her on the newspaper yet settling her heart on being found by her brothers. The only thing bothering her is Tamtam’s safety.

Running away from the police station, they ran directly to Chaerin’s place so she didn’t have the chance to get Tamtam and she’s really worried about her safety on Jiyong’s hands.

 

She’s still hiding behind the wall and poking her head out of the mirror door checking on what’s happening outside. She’s been on a look-out to make sure that she will be able to rescue Tamtam while the dragon is out.

 

Unknown to her, a person is now creeping behind her mirroring her ‘peek-a-boo’ moves. And unfortunately they were out of sync.

 


DARA’S POV

 

“Aah!” I shrieked when I felt something really hard hit my head and so did who ever that head belonged to. I turned to him and saw a pretty friendly face.

 

“Donghae-ssi! Annyeong hasaeyo!” I greeted him.

 

“Annyeong!” he greeted back still rubbing his head. It looks like he just came back from working out because of his sweat pants and hoodie jacket. He’s holding a bottle of water while a lollipop.

 

“Sorry about that. Gwaenchanhayo?” he smiled and nodded.

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked and peeked at the door. I pulled him back.

 

“Shh!”

 

“Why?” he whispered and we amazingly crouched at the same time.

 

“Well.” I don’t know if I should tell him about Tamtam because most people tend to say I’m crazy whenever I do. “I’m trying to rescue someone from the other building.”

 

He stood up suddenly and spoke. “What?! Why? Is someone in danger?” he said a little too loud so i pulled him down again. I put my finger on my lips to tell him to shut up.

 

He just nodded and spoke with a lot softer voice before taking a sip from his tumbler. “Why? Who’s in need of rescuing?”

 

I cleared my throat first. “It’s Tamtam.”

 

“Who’s Tamtam?”

 

“My child.” he spat the water he was drinking and started coughing and choking.

 

"Ya. Donghae-ssi. Gwaenchanha? Oh?" i asked him rubbing his back.

 

His eyes are all red when he stopped coughing.

 

"Ch-child? Y-your a m- You have a child?!" his voice loud again.

 

"Aniya! It's not what you think. Tamtam is a plush toy. A very important plushie. He's my child."

 

I saw him freeze for a moment before regaining his stance.

 

"I see. I thought.. You know..” he spoke after clearing his throat. “Anyway, why don't you just cross the street and save your..ah.. Save Tamtam." I sighed.

 

"You see that's actually my problem. He's being held captive."

 

“Captive?” i nodded. “By who?”

 

“By some monster.”

 

He gave me a quizical look. Well, even I would think I’m crazy.

 

“Well, how do I say this. You see...” and I told him the story on how I ended up working for Jiyong-ssi and why I am now hiding here.

 

“Jiyong? As in Kwon Jiyong?” he asked eyes widened.

 

“Why? Do you know him?”

 

“He’s Big Bang’s leader, of course I know him. We often see each other on Music Shows. We’re not really close though.”

 

“Music Show? He’s a singer?”

 

“Yeah. Well, not really a singer ‘cause he’s in charge of rapping in their group.”

 

“Really?” he nodded.

 

“So that’s why there were paparazzis at the station huh.” How the heck would I know. I’m not into pop music.

 

“You mentioned you often meet him at Music Shows. Are you also an idol?” Looking closely, he could really be someone who appears on tv. He’s handsome, stylish plus he really has a nice smile. Lips and eyes. Even his brows are perfect. I didn’t realize that I was studying his features too close unti he backed up and hit the plant I was hiding from earlier.

 

“Oh. Are you okay?” he stood up immediately even before I did.

 

“Yeah. Yeah. I’m fine.”

 

“You look flushed. Are you sure you’re okay?” I checked his forehead and mine. He froze.

 

“Ya. Donghae-ssi! Donghae-ssi!” now he’s turning very red up to his ears.

 

“O-oh? Yea. Yea. I’m fine. I’m fine.”

 

“You really sure?” he nodded continuously. “Yup. Yea. Really sure. Very sure.” He gave me a two thumbs up.

“Okay.”

“So, you’re waiting for Jiyong-ssi to go out so you can get Tamtam?”

“That’s the plan. He’s supposed to come out any minute now so I’m just waiting for the right timing.” I looked outside the door and the windows again. Back on the walls. Donghae did the same but he went to the otherside of the door.

We were quietly waiting when I saw that oh so familiar face coming out of the other building. I looked at Donghae and he looked back. We waited for Jiyong to walk away from the building and make sure that the coast is clear. When I can no longer see Jiyong’s figure I nodded at Donghae. He nodded back and we charged towards the door.

 

We continued crossing sneakily. We were in the middle of the road when we were stopped by a horrific shrieks coming from behind us.

 

A boy who I recognize as Sungmin-ssi is running along with Yesung-ssi and they are coming towards us. Behind them is a group of students. Girls with cards and cameras chasing the two.

 

I heard Shindong shout. “I told you not to hug one of them! Why can’t a hand shake be enough for you huh?!”

 

“But she asked for it!”

 

Donghae suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled me on the other side of the street and we ran fast into Kinchi Tower’s lobby and we were both panting. Outside I can see those poor guys being chased until the girls were stopped by the security personnels of the building.

 

One girl turned around so Donghae pulled me away from sight and we sat on the lobby couch as low as we can.

 

“What happened back there?” I was gasping for air and so is Donghae.

 

“Our daily lives?” he looked at me and smiled. His smile is too contagious so in a matter of seconds we were both laughing like idiots filling the lobby with our noise when one employee, basing on her uniform, approached us. I thought she’s going to reprimand us when she pulled out a pen and a paper.

 

“Uhm. Donghae-oppa.”

 

I looked at Donghae. He looked up at the woman, smile still pasted on his face. “Nae?”

 

“Can I get your autograph?” she asked shyly. She looked at me and I don’t know why but I got really scared so I looked away.

 

“Oh. Sure. Let’s see.” He took her pen and paper and signed. So he really is an idol huh. I’m guessing he and his friends from last time are all from one band. “What’s your name?” he asked

 

“Jessica. Jessica Jung. I’ve been an elf since forever and I have watched every Super Junior related video online and attended almost every Super Show.” She told him energetically. She’s really pretty, like a barbie doll. I think she’s really cute if not only for the icy aura emanating from her.

 

“Is she your girlfriend?” she asked glancing at me momentarily.

 

We answered no in chorus.

 

“Oh. I see. Does Eunhyuk oppa know her?”

 

I got confused and obviously Donghae too.

 

“Eunhyuk? Why?”

 

“Oh, nothing.” She said and smiled sweetly at Donghae. He gave her the autographed paper back. She said her thanks and turned her back only to turn to us again. I froze.

“Uh. Oppa, can I also take a picture with you? Please?”

 

“Oh. Ok. Sure.” She pulled her phone out. “But can you adjust a little lower?” he gestured for the girl to bend a little lower and she did with a confused expression on her face.

 

“Uhm. Chogiyo.” She called me.

 

“Nae!”

 

“Can you take the picture for us?” the way she looks at me gives me shivers. I reached out for her phone but Donghae took it before I do.

 

“Let’s just do a selca.” He told her and pulled her closer. “Hana, Dul, Set! Here.”

 

Jessica was blushing when she muttered her thanks and walked away.

 

That’s the only time I was able to breathe out the air I was unconsciously holding.

 

“Sorry about that.” Donghae turned to me.

 

“No, it’s fine. It seems that you’re very popular. Super Junior is the name of your band?”

 

“Ah yeah.”

 

“You and the others?”

“You mean the guys at the elevator last time? Yeah. We’re 13 in total.”

 

“13? Woah. You guys have many members. Isn’t it crowded when you guys perform on stage?”

 

“Us? No. Actually, when one is missing while we perform we can really sense the absence. Like there’s a really huge space to be filled and that something is lacking.”

 

“You guys are that close huh?” I can see the spark in his eyes while he continued talking about s.

 

“Yeah. They’re like my brothers.”

 

“I know that feeling. The girls are like that for me too.” We’ve known each other since forever and we had our own misunderstandings and although we may have been apart for a long time, i can feel no gaps between us. Never have I ever felt different whenever I’m with them. They treat me like a normal person not like everyone who treat me nicely because I’m Park Yoochun or Park Sanghyun’s little sister or because they need something from me. My precious childhood friends were never like that, except for one. I can still remember the last time we saw each other.

 


FLASHBACK

(5 YEARS AGO.. GRADUATION DAY)

 

Iyaa~ Im so proud of my little sister! Sanghyun welcomed Dara in her arms when she came down from the stage.

 

Beside him is Yoochun whose eyes are slightly moisty. Dara turned to her and he had his arms wide open.

 

Oppa. Were you crying? she asked while hugging him.

 

For most parts, Sanghyun answered, but he bawled when you mentioned his name.

 

Dara laughed when Yoochun hit Sanghyuns stomach. She mentioned my name twice.

 

Sanghyun turned to her. Yea? Well, I get to award her her medals. I am the one whos on the stage with her.

 

Dara can only laugh at her brothers childish fight. They are still bickering when she saw a familiar figure from afar. She called her.

 

Kiko! she stopped but didnt turn back so she called her name again. This time she looked back. Her sharp gaze pierced through Dara which stunned her. Though it may only be her imagination because it immidiately vanished when Kiko smiled at her sweetly.

 

Oh, Dara! she waved at her and walked towards her.

 

Congratulations! As expected, youre the valedictorian of the class. She hugged her which made Dara ignore what she just saw.

 

Thanks! Congratulations to you, too! We managed to graduate on the top of the class!

 

Yea. I get to be second to you again. It was almost a whisper but Dara heard it despite the loud crowd. She looked at Kiko confused.

 

What? she asked.

 

Nothing. Kiko then turned her back and went outside the hall. She decided to follow her.

 

Ya! Kiko!

 

What?! What do you want?!” Kiko's reaction shocked Dara but it didn't stop her from following Kiko.

 

Hey, whats wrong with you? Dara was able to grab Kikos arm to make her stop walking.

 

she pulled her hand away and looked at Dara “Whats wrong with me?  she smirked. What is wrong with me, you dare ask? You! You are everything that is wrong in my life!

 

What are you saying?

 

Everything was perfect for me until you came! I had everything I need! Everyone loved me! I did everything for them to love me! And then there was you! A cute talented little princess! Everything that I worked hard for was ruined all thanks to you!

 

What do you mean? I dont understand. Kiko had always been nice to her since she transferred to Tokyo. She was her first friend eversince she left Korea so she doesnt understand where all this is coming from.

 

Huh. What? You think I really like you? I dont like you, they do! Even my parents. However how hard I try. Eventhough I give my best on everything I do, its still you. Tears are falling nonstop from her friends eyes and it hurts her.

 

Kiko. She tried to approach her but she moved away.

 

Dont come near me.

 

Hey, calm down. Why are you like this all of a sudden. Youre not like this, Kiko. Dara was startled when Kiko suddenly laughed loud as if she lost her mind.

 

Hey. Do you remember that cute little dog Otousan gave you? That cute little ball of fur you loved?

 

Gaeddung-ie? Gaeddung-ie is the only pet she ever had but one day she found her lying lifeless at the garden. She cried for how many nights because of Gaeddung. Thats the same time Chaerin sent her Tamtam saying that it would never leave her and that she should treat

tamtam right because its their child.

 

You know why it died? I accidentally dropped a chocolate. And then she laughed.

 

Ever since I was young I have been asking for a pet and they say I can't. Then they gave you one. My parents! My dad! Why are you so special? Because you have the money?"

 

What are you saying?!

 

"I hate you! I hate everything about you! You took everything from me! My parents, Otousan and Obasan, my friends, everyone and now my future! Why did you have to be so greedy Dara? That scholarship could've been all I have."

 

Dara still can't find the words.

 

"Remember that boy you had a crush on in middle school? Do you know why you never got together? Well, he liked you but I told him you don't. I had a crush on Ikuta Toma even before you did. I am about to confess to him when he approached me and asked me to help him court you." this time she laughed bitterly."That actually hurt you know. But I can't do anything but smile and say yes."

 

Kiko wiped tear-stained face. "I liked him way before you did. I already told you about him and in the end he liked you rather than me. Why?! What am I lacking?! All my life I was nice, giving and hardworking. Why?!"

 

Dara wanted to approach her friend but she shoved her away.

"Stop acting like you care!"

 

"I care, Kiko! Stop this, please!"

 

"Stop? Fine. You know what? This ends today. All these nice girl act stops at this very moment." she held her hands up as if surrenderring.

 

Dara reached for her but she moved back.

 

"I wish you never came here. All those kind acts you are pulling and those innocent facades. Acting like you're the most perfect girl in the world when you in fact you are weak!"

 

"Stop this, Kiko."

 

"You're weak and too hard headed that's why your parents died."

 

"Don't drag my parents into this. Please."

 

"Or maybe the rumors are true. Your parents are frauds! They tricked people and took their money. Now you're using it for your own sake."

 

"Shut up!" 

 

"Why? Truth hurts huh? Your a swindler's daugh-" Dara's hands hit Kiko's face before she was able to finish.

 

"No one talks about my parents that way." 

 

Kiko looked at Dara. "I swear someday I will become better than you. I will have more than what you have and everyone will love me more than you! I swear to god, one day we will meet and by that time comes I will have something that you dont. Something that you want and love but you will never have. I will destroy it bits by bits, into tiny little pieces right in front of you. You will feel all the hurt I felt and cry all the tears I've cried. You will see, Sandara Park. You will." Dara remained frozen while Kiko rashly brushed her tears away before walking away fading into the dark night and out of Dara's life. That very night she lost a friend and gained an enemy.

 

 

 

PRESENT DAY

DARA'S POV

 

Donghae snapped his fingers at my face which pulled me back to reality.

 

"For a moment there I thought you were sleeping with your eyes open."

 

"Oh. Mianhaeyo. I just remembered something."

 

Unconsciously, a tear escaped my eyes.

 


DONGHAE'S POV

A single tear fell from her eyes. 'Her eyes are too transparent', that's what I thought. I don't know why but I feel this urge to wipe that tear but before I can even do so, someone coughed loudly behind us. When we turned around we saw Kwon Jiyong wearing sunglasses and a mask. His arms folded watching us. I stood up.

 

"Annyeong hasaeyo!" i bowed as I greeted him.

 

"Annyeong hasaeyo, sunbaenim!" he gave me a 90-degree bow.

 

"What brought you here, sunbaenim?" he asked me smiling. His eyes jumping from me to Dara who is still sitting down hiding her face.

 

"Oh, I- I'm just accompanying Dara-ssi. She needs to rescue someone. Since, you're here I think I should go now." i felt Dara pull my hand lightly. I turned to her and she stood up.

 

"Ehem. Donghae-ssi wanted to help me get Tamtam. Right?" her eyes pleading. She's so cute.

 

I shook my head and turned to Jiyong.

 

"Ah. Yeah. I believe I am."

 

"I see." he nods "Sunbae, choisonghandaeyo, but can I talk to Dara-ssi for a moment?"

 

Dara pulled my hand again. But before I can even speak, Jiyong already pulled her arms and dragged her away.

 

JIYONG'S POV

She gave me a hard time shooing away the paparazzis and handling the media before they write stupid things on the paper and here she is, the great Sandara Park, dilly dally-ing around.

 

"Ya. Nwa. Annwa?" she whispered not wanting to get any attention. I bet specially from Donghae sunbae-nim. Why are they even together? She had the guts not to contact me for two days and she spends her time exchanging gazes with him.

 

I only let her go when we reached the staircase.

 

"You!"

 

"Mwo? Mwo?!" she kept on bumping my body as if asking for a fight. I pushed her away, my finger on her forehead.

 

"Are you picking a fight?"

 

"No! Why would I?!"

 

"Ya! My head hurts so stop shouting."

 

"Fine!" her voice echoed throughout the stairway.

 

I covered my hands on my ears. "Ya!"

 

"Wae!"

 

"I'm warning you. Stop it."

 

"Stop what!" she's clearly enjoying this.

 

"One more time and I swear I'll make you shut up."

 

"Mwora-"

 

I covered my right hand on and pushed her to the wall before she could shout again.

 

I haven't slept for almost 24 hours now and my head is thumping from the noise she's making.

 

"I told you not shout didn't I?"

 

She nodded. "Are you going to do what I say?" one more nod. "Are you sure?" more nodding.

 

I decided to let her go.

 

"Now we talk."

 

"Fine."

"Where have you been?"

 

"At Chaerin's."

 

"Why didn't you call?"

 

"Why should I? Besides you have my number. Why didn't YOU call ME?"

 

"I was too busy fixing the mess with those paparazzis and the police record I had all thanks to you."

 

"Why is it my fault? You were the one who started chasing. I was going to help your friend from Chaerin you know!"

 

"I wasn't going to chase you if you didn't run!"

 

"I would have stopped if you stopped chasing!"

 

"That's because you kept running!"

 

"I told you I would've stopped if y-" i covered and pulled her under the staircase when I heard a camera click.

 

"Who's there?" i heard footsteps running and a door slamming shut. "! They weren't able to get a picture don't you think?"

 


AUTHOR'S POV

 

'I can't think' is what Dara wanted to answer Jiyong with but she's just too distracted of his scent.

 

Why does he always need to cover ? She can always shut if she wants to, you know.

 

Another thing is the fact that he's almost hugging her. Her nose is almost touching his chest and she's doing her best to resist the urge to just bury her face on his shirt because, God, does he smell so good.

 

He may not have those bulky chest but he has this very y collar bone. Her eyes roamed from the skin his slightly opened shirt is revealing, tonhis collar bones, neck, sharp jaw, nape, lips, nose, eyes.. Eyes. He's looking at her looking at him.

 

They stood there like that for a few moments and moved away from each other almost too quickly when they realized they were standing too close.

 

He smirked at her. "Enjoyed the view?"

 

She smirked back but her blush can't hide her true feelings. "As if."

 

"Really huh?" he teased.

 

"Mwo? What do you mean really? You thick-faced arrogant rapping bird!"

 

"So you do know who I am!"

 

"Ani! Don't be full of yourself. I only learned that you're an idol from Donghae-ssi."

 

"About that, since when did you know him?"

 

"Since I came here. I met him before I even met you."

 

"You m-met, you met him first?"

 

She nodded, chin up.

 

"You haven't gone drinking with him did you?"

 

"Drink? No. Why?" Jiyong unconsciously sighed of relief.

 

Dara remembered that time when he invited her to drink with him.

 

"Why?" she grabbed his shoulders. "What happened back then? What did I do?"

 

"Don't bother. Just don't go around drinking with just whoever."

 

"Ya! Tell me!"

 

"Shut up. Let's go get your voodoo."

 

"How many times do I have to tell you, Tamtam is not a witch's doll!"

 

"You're too small for your voice, you know that? Too noisy for a little figure. Let's go. Say goodbye to Donghae sunbaenim. Don't go dragging him to your shenanigans."

 

They kept on bickering as they go out of the stairway towards the lobby. Little did they know of the things that are about to come their way.

 


IN TOKYO – PARK MANSIONS

 

SANGHYUN’S POV

 

I almost jumped out of my seat when I heard the knock from the door. Outside I heard Butler Seo’s voice calling me so I told him to come in.

 

“Sir, dinner is served. Do you want to eat at the dining hall or do you want me to have it brought up here?”

 

Hearing him bring up the topic of food made my stomach growl. When was the last time I’ve eaten a decent food? I turned to him.

 

“Just bring it in here please.” Kang Joon nodded. “How about Yoochun-hyung?”

 

Since coming home from Paris, Yoochun-hyung have worked non-stop while looking for Dara. I took my time off from work and cancelled every show I have just to look for our baby. It’s almost a week now since she had been missing and we’re about to lose our minds. Especially hyung.

 

“He hasn’t come out of his study yet, Sir.”

 

“When was the last time he even brushed his teeth?” I can’t not do something about this. I stood up and walked to the door and I felt my brain scatter when it suddenly opened and hit me sending me on the floor behind it.

 

I heard Yoochun-hyung despite the dizziness that the impact of the door gave me.

 

“Sanghyun-ah! Sanghyun-ah! Oh? Where’s Sanghyun?”

 

Kang Joon cleared his throat. “He’s right there, Sir.”

 

“Eh? What are you doing there?” I looked up and I swear I’m seeing stars around hyung who is now tripled. My vision maybe hazy but I can clearly see his disheveled hair, loosened tie and those dark circles slowly eating my hyung’s eyes.

 

“You can’t spend your time lying around.” I did my best to focus my vision and blinked not less than five times. Man, that hurt!

 

I slowly stood up with the help of the chair lying beside me.

 

“Why are you looking for me, hyung?”

 

“I’ve found our little rabbit.”

 

That woke me up.

 

“Jinjja?! Where is she? Is she okay?”

 

“She is. She better be or else I’ll be hanging a pretty-boy idol upside down.”

 

“You’ll be doing what to who?”

 

“Doesn’t matter. Just get ready. We’re flying to Korea.”