Identity

My 'Instructor,' L.Joe [hiatus]

L.JOE’S POV:

 

Opening the door, unsure of what to expect, I opened the door as it creaked loudly. A bag, looking much like a school bag was placed on the floor with a pink pencil case on top. Next to it, sat a young -looking, petite girl her hair put up in a ponytail, wearing navy blue school uniform.

 

She seemed to be in ‘thinking mode’ and I wondered what she was thinking about. I realised that I didn’t want to break the awkward silence that was building up, but I had to introduce myself, being the older one.

 

“Hi, I’m Byunghun, Lee Byunghun-imnida,” I said politely, breaking into a smile. She nodded and smiled back, before replying.

“Hello, I’m _____. Nice to meet you.” she said, her voice different from other girls that I’d met in the past. They were all quite ageyo-contained, but I could tell that she was much more mature than that.

 

As she stood up, I walked into the practice room. Little did I know what was going to happen in the very room in the future, but all I could hope for at that very moment of time, was to hope that she did like me. I’m pretty nice, so I wouldn’t mind getting to know her good side, I thought, placing my bag on the floor. Inside were my change of clothing for later, and I regretted packing so much, as it made a loud ‘thump’ noise when it reached the floor. The little body before me that had introduced herself seconds before jumped in fright at the loud noise, as I too jumped slightly. I looked to see her panic-stricken face, and took a step closer to her.

 

“Ahh, mianhe! I think I packed too much!” I said, hoping to change the mood. Damn, I probably have already ruined the mood, and frightened her off for life. Arghhh. Why. Can’t. One. Day. Be. Normal. Especially seeing as she’s my first mentor, and I’m the only one chosen for this specific task.

 

“It’s okay; I jumped because I was getting up! Don’t worry about me!” she said, her face changing into a smile, her eyebrows rising slightly.

 

“But, um, do you carry rocks in there or something?” She said, laughing back.

 

“Haha, very funny! What about you? Your pile of books there were almost taller than you when you were sitting down, you know?” I said sarcastically, pointing at the books and then joining into the laughter. Wow, she indeed was different. She seemed cool. I like her already.

 

 

MY POV:

 

I remembered the very first time we met. Both of us mixing Korean and English as we spoke. The atmosphere wasn’t tense and I liked it.

 

I wasn’t very close with any guys, except for own older brother. But he doesn’t really count, as he always treats me like a child. Even taking me to places and making sure I wasn’t lying. I guess I didn’t mind, as he always made sure everything was okay and it was good to have an that could pick you up from parties. But my relationship with this guy was definitely different and new for me in terms of experience.

 

Nevertheless, I realised that I wasn’t sure what to call him, do I use formal language or -

I guess he is older than me.

But calling him a teacher seems a bit weird.

 

I looked back to his face, laughing at what we just joked about.

 

His eyes becoming smaller than before, revealing a cute eye smile. With a sort-of crescent shape. Grr he is pretty cute!

 

What am I saying. Uhh. Isn’t he my teacher? Bad ____!

 

“So uhhm, Byunghun-sshi what should I call you?”

 

“Hmm, when were you born ___?”

 

“Oh, I’m a ___-er!” I said, maybe sounding a bit more excited than I should be, thinking that maybe he actually was younger than me. Oh. My. What if he’s actually older?!?

 

“Haha, great, well I’m a late 93-er, and I think that because we’re pretty close in age, let’s drop the formalities. Is that okay?”

 

I was okay with that, he would just be another same age friend. One that would help me improve my dancing skills. No fuss there, right?

 

“But,” he began. I guess I was wrong.

 

“Seeing as I’ll be teaching – wait no helping umm,”

 

“Instruct?” I butted in, remembering that we were of the same age.

 

“Hmm, yeah instruct, I guess,” he seemed to ponder about the thought, as I pondered about what there was exactly to ponder about.

 

“Okay, seeing as I’m going to ‘instruct’ you in terms of dancing, you could call me an instructor,” he said, that pondering expression still on his face.

 

Good Job ____!

So you were same age friends for only a few minutes, and then babble whatever’s in your head right out.

 

I swear I really need to either keep my mouth shut or censor what’s about to come out.

 

I then pondered once more and tried to look at it in a more mature and positive way.

 

Instructor?

 

Well, he’s going to instruct right?

 

I guess it works out, I thought pouting.