04

On Rainy Days

A/N: Text in grey means it's a flashback/memory ^___^


Joon trudged back to his apartment after the meeting had finished. He took a quick shower and sat down on the sofa in the living room, turning the TV on but not paying much attention to it. He laid down on the sofa, staring at the ceiling above him. Closing his eyes, he began to think. Of his job, his way of life, of the Boss' lingering eyes whenever he saw him, of the team, of MBLAQ, of Jihyo...

Joon smiled a little as Jihyo's face floated in his mind. Jihyo's younger self, when they first met in high school. He still remembered the way she smiled and laughed. He remembered the way she looked when her hair was blowing in the wind as they sat on those grass hills in the school grounds. He remembered the way she smelled of summer when he hugged her tight first thing in the morning and when he took her home after school. He remembered how she would smile at him, waving as he arrived outside her house to walk her to school.

He remembered...

He remembered how happy she used to be, before she was into this world. Before he pulled her into this world with him.

***

"Joonie, you never told me about your family," Jihyo said as they walked to her house from school.

Joon tensed up at the mention of his family. Seeing his reaction, Jihyo apologised quickly, assuring him he didn't have to tell her if he was uncomfortable with it.

"No, it's not that... It's just..." Joon said, his sentences incoherent.

"It's okay, Joon. Tell me when you're ready," Jihyo had smiled at him, before quickly changing the subject.

When they reached Jihyo's house, Joon stopped in front of her.

"Thanks for walking me home... again. Joon, you know you really don't have to walk me home every day," Jihyo laughed as she walked to her gate.

"Wait," Joon put his hand on Jihyo's, stopping her. "Do you... Let's go to my house."

Jihyo looked up at him with questioning eyes. "You sure?"

Joon nodded firmly. Jihyo looked up at him, searching his eyes for clues. Joon had not once mentioned his family, where he lived or his life before he moved to their current school. Jihyo was uncertain whether he really wanted to tell her now or whether he had felt like he should after hearing Jihyo mention it. Joon quietly took Jihyo's hand in his and walked away from her house, leading her in the opposite direction. They walked quietly, the air between them suddenly a little awkward.

"Honestly, Joon. We don't have to do this."

"Too late, we're here now," Joon replied as they reached a block of flats.

Jihyo followed him as he punched some numbers into the key pad and opened the building door. They walked up a short flight of steps before Joon walked over to flat number 309. He turned around and smiled slightly at Jihyo before turning the key and opening the door to his flat. Jihyo hesitated before entering the flat as Joon followed behind her, locking the door. The flat was large and simply furnished. The walls were painted white and most of the furniture was white, there were hardly any decorations and the flat in itself was generally... quiet.

Jihyo stood and glanced all around the flat, still standing by the door.

"Coming in?" Joon said darkly with a slight chuckle.

"I... yeah," Jihyo stuttered. "Is anyone else here?"

Jihyo followed Joon into the living room and sat down next to him on the sofa as he turned the TV on. Joon didn't answer for a few seconds.

"...I live alone," Joon said, watching the TV in front of him intently.

Jihyo turned to him, a questioning expression flashing across her face.

"My parents... were murdered a few months ago. Just before I moved to our school now," Joon said coldly, still not making eye contact with Jihyo.

"M...m...murdered?" Jihyo stammered in shock.

"For business matters," Joon said in disgust, clenching his jaw tightly.

"Oh," Jihyo gasped softly. She didn't know what to say or how to respond. "Joon... I'm so sorry..."

"There's no need to apologise for something that's not your fault," Joon replied quietly, balling his fists. "If it's anyone, it should be them..."

Joon's voice trailed off as Jihyo watched his expression change to one of fury and anger, something Jihyo had never seen Joon like before.

"You mean... You know who... who did it?"

"...Yes," Joon replied, even quieter. "And one day, I'll make them pay for what they did."