14

On Rainy Days

A/N: Wow hi. I'm back after a gazillion years and I figured it's time to finish this fic. Please bear with me!


When Jihyo let herself back into Joon's apartment, she found him sitting in his living room, sat cross-legged, still as a statue in front of box similar to the one in her hands. She walked over to him, unsure of what he was doing and placed the box on the floor next to his. She sat down slowly, keeping her eyes trained on Joon's face as she tried to decipher his expression. He was staring at a space in front of him, his eyebrows slightly furrowed, a lost expression spread all over his face.

"Joon..." Jihyo said quietly, waving a hand in front of his face.

His eyes snapped towards her and, for a split second, Jihyo could see everything he was feeling. The sadness, the confusion and the fear were displayed in his eyes all too clearly for the second he allowed her to look at him. When he realised what he was doing, he broke the gaze and cleared his throat loudly. All Jihyo could do was blink at him, this was the first time she had seen him so vulnerable since the day he followed her to her house and saw a sight that hit him just that little bit too close to home...

"So, what did you find?" Joon asked, breaking the silence.

"Ah," Jihyo replied softly, before turning to lift the lid off the box she had brought with her. She put her hand inside and pulled something out. "Recognise this?"

***

Seungho and G.O walked side-by-side down the street, both with their hands in their pockets and looking at nothing in particular. They had been walking aimlessly across the same few streets for the past hour until eventually, G.O slowed to a stop outside a familiar looking café.

"Seungho..." G.O called out quietly, as Seungho turned around to face him. "That was... We should... I think..."

"I know," Seungho replied calmly before G.O could find the right words. He nodded, indicating he had the same thoughts. "That was definitely his."

"Right?" G.O looked at him earnestly. "I wasn't imagining things, right?"

"No... but..." Seungho shook his head. "It doesn't make any sense to me... Not yet, anyway."

G.O sighed heavily, his mind was racing and his heart was pounding but there wasn't anything he could do. He felt incredibly lost and helpless but at least he had Seungho to share it with him. He wondered if the other members were going through the same thing. Seungho also sighed as he looked up at the sky, as if he was looking for answers too.

"We should probably go back and figure this out," Seungho said.

G.O nodded and followed him as they made their way back to their shared apartment in silence. As soon as they arrived, Seungho took out a thick brown envelope from his jacket and placed it onto the table in the living room. The envelope he had found in the box. He scattered the items and laid them out; a black mask, some photos and documents headered with a hospital name. G.O sat down beside Seungho and picked up the black mask, carefully brushing his fingers over the small white letters embroidered on the back. It had been a long time since he had seen this word and now it was bringing back the memories again, washing him from head to toe with an odd feeling.

LEADJA

The letters seemed to glisten in the light. L E A D J A. That was the first word G.O had blurted out, that one night in a cold, dark basement. He smiled as he remembered...

***

"Yah, come on! Be serious! Are we doing this or not?!" G.O all but shouted at the rowdy boys in front of him.

"Yes, yes," Doojoon chuckled and clapped his hands together. "Okay boys! Let's be serious for a minute here."

The rest quietened down and sat down besides G.O on the floor, forming a circle.

"For our own sakes and for our future, we need to decide what to do... right this instant," Doojoon added cheekily, winking at G.O.

"Well, I'm assuming everyone is here for the same reason, right?" Seungho said, looking around at his peers around him.

Everyone nodded. There had been word spreading in the streets between the kids, that a new group was going to be formed. Well, more like a gang. The kids had had enough of fighting off the older gang members on the street when they were all there for the same reason. To survive. Now, the brave few of eleven kids that dared to rise up and fight back had gathered in a cold, dark, abandoned basement for their first official 'meeting'.

"Fabulous," Doojoon drawled and motioned towards G.O. "Well, kind sir, what is on the agenda first this evening."

The boys around him laughed. This was the way Doojoon was and always had been, he used his sarcasm and humour to keep social environments calm and relaxed, because he had always hated the sense of sadness or hatred in the air.

"W-well... I guess... We need a name..." G.O replied.

The boys shouted out random words at that point, some more crude than others, illiciting laughter from the others. Doojoon cleared his throat, aware that his friend was on the somewhat serious side.

"C'mon now. Serious propositions please," Doojoon said and they began to quiet down, racking their brains for a name that was 'cool' but not too cheesy.

"Leadja!" G.O blurted out in the silence.

Doojoon looked up at him. "Leadja?"

G.O cleared his throat. "Well... Don't we all just want to be leaders ourselves?"

Doojoon grinned and slapped a hand on his back. "Leaders. Leadja. I like it!"

The rest cheered as they agreed. 'Leadja' it was. Just like that, they had found a new family.

***

"Look... here," Seungho interrupted G.O's thought trail, pointing at one of the photos that was in the envelope.

G.O leaned in and looked closer. It was a photograph of a man dressed in all black, with a mask covering his lower face only to show his eyes. The photo was taken from a distance and slightly blurred, as if it was taken hurriedly and without the person knowing they were being photographed. There were a series of them, all similar and all of the same person. Seungho was pointing at one of them, his finger hovering above the blurred background.

"My... Story...?" G.O read out aloud as he squinted at the photo. It took three seconds for it to click together in his head. "That's the café!"

"Right...?" Seungho needed the assurance that it wasn't a mistake. "The one that's around the corner."

It was no coincidence that the café was near their apartment. The truth was, they had moved there because they wanted to stay close to that exact café, the same café that served as a meeting place for the boys when they were younger, the same café that harboured many, too many, memories for them all. They had stayed in the same area in hopes of finding one person: Doojoon. Now, it seemed from the photos that they were right. It really was no wonder that none of them could stray too far from this area.

"What about those?" G.O pointed to the documents this time. "The medical records."

Seungho picked them up and started reading through them.

"Bullet wound... Near nerve, patient informed of likelihood of motor tics or twitches even after full recovery..." Seungho trailed off and exchanged looks with G.O. "Bullet graze on face..."

G.O winced slightly. The thought of a bullet anywhere close to his friend's head was a chilling thought, especially when he knew the possible aftermath of the weapons he specialised in. Friend... Yes, Doojoon certainly was still a friend to them both, but it had been a long time since they had seen each other. It was strange to think that they had been so close to each other all along but had never even bumped into each other. Seungho and G.O had always kept this friend in mind, although neither had ever said it out aloud. They tried not to mention anything to do with... that day... but they both had been closest with Doojoon out of the boys in Leadja and it was the one friend they cared the most about. Now, as they sat in their apartment with the clues their Boss had left them, they were absolutely clueless as to what it could all mean. These all belonged to Doojoon. The photos were proof that he was still alive and nearby. The question was... what were they supposed to do about it?