02

On Rainy Days

A/N: This is a flashback before you get confused ^___^


Jihyo walked into the classroom to her usual seat, glancing at the boy sat at the seat next to hers. She unpacked her bag before settling it on the floor and turned to face the boy next to her. He was leaning his head on his arms, facing the wall next to him and Jihyo assumed he was staring out of the large windows out at the school grounds again. She continued watching him for a few more seconds before gathering her courage to tap him on the shoulder. He sat up slowly at her touch and turned to face her with a blank expression that Jihyo had never once seen leave his face.

"Lee Joon. I know you probably don't want to be here, and you probably don't want to hear this… but I'm Kim Jihyo," Jihyo said quickly, with a forced confident tone. "I'd like to be your friend."

Joon continued staring at her as she talked, making her a little uncomfortable. A long few seconds passed before he shrugged slightly and returned to his previous position with his head on his arms. Jihyo blinked in surprise at his reaction. She had expected him to tell her to leave him alone or something along those lines. Without realising, a small smile formed on her lips.

"I'll take that as a 'sure, why not' then," she said quietly, turning her head to the front of the classroom. She glanced to her left out of the corner of her eyes to see if Joon would react. "You won't get rid of me that easily now."

Joon continued staring out of the window, not sure what to feel. He, too, was surprised at his reaction. Usually, if someone had talked to him so strangely, he would talk back to them irritably, pushing them away before they had a chance to get close to him. He involuntarily smiled a little as he heard Jihyo's last sentence before realising what he was doing and wiped the expression off his face. Joon had only recently transferred to this school but with his cool demeanour, no-one had approached him or talked to him if they didn't have to. Jihyo was the first, but it was a little weird how Joon didn't have such an overwhelming urge to stop her as he had done with other girls in the past.

The next few weeks were full of Jihyo proving herself correct. It really wasn't easy to get rid of her. She had all but followed him around school, sometimes talking to herself since Joon never replied. She didn't mind though, she knew she'd crack him one day. Eventually, Jihyo's persistence paid off. One day, as they sat on one of the grass hills in the school grounds in silence as they always did, Joon had turned to look at her to see her looking out in front of them with a smile.

"Why do you try?" Joon had asked suddenly.

"Hmm?" Jihyo turned to face him, startled that he had suddenly spoken. "What do you mean?"

"Why do you try so hard to be my friend? Even when you didn't know me or if I was a good person, you tried. Even when I don't respond, you carry on."

Jihyo considered this for a moment. "Everyone deserves a chance," she shrugged before turning away again. "I wouldn't have carried on if you hadn't let me. So I could ask you something similar; why did you let me?"

From that day on, Joon knew he could trust Jihyo and opened up to her completely. They became the best of friends and through everything life threw at them, they had pushed through it with the immense strength of their friendship.