Three

Turning Page

 

     Under the moonlight that shown through the painted glass, under the watchful eyes of the still ones of the man in the center of the foyer. They sat in the bottom of the platform, Kai reminiscing about the good old times he had with Sehun before all this happened, before they had to move down here on Earth. Lu Han intently listened, soaking in the world Kai had clearly painted for him. 

     Kai spoke about their first meeting back some seventeen years before Sehun left. 

“We were both seedlings, toddlers as you humans call it.  I sat in the corner of the play room while the rest of EXO were happily playing. Our playgroup is a little different from the human ones. It was made for us to train and learn about each other. We have different skills but were perfectly chosen to fulfill each other's weak points. We are grouped by our skills simply put.  We are put together to someday work to fight as one in the future. So from seedling, we are already trained to work as a team.

I was a little indifferent because this was my first day in training school. Everyone knew each other and I was left to be the new seedling. But thankfully, a new boy came in for the first time, just like me. I heard he’s supposed to be a couple months younger. But somehow in that very instant he was already more acquainted with his surroundings than I. He came in stern, very well-mannered and poised. I mean for goodness sake he was only three, we were only three years old, yet he was already too disciplined that he almost worked like a machine. Ironically in addition,  he got along with the rest of EXO right away. He just had that demeanor, adaptability and flexibility that made him stand out, that made him more inviting and appealing to others. Simply put he was well liked by everyone right away. 

I will never forget the day he held out his hand to me. He said “Hey you! Kid! Want to play?” Very smug, he obviously knew that I was older than him yet he still addressed me that way. But then again, he’s just like that, you know? Everyone was equal to him. He didn’t treat anyone differently nor better or more special.” Kai’s voice was much lower now. He contemplated on the next words he let slip.

“Not until that boy came along, Lu Han. I don’t know why but he was quite taken by him. He told me once that Lu Han was just different. He made him feel things he never thought existed. That’s when I knew...” Kai paused and turned to look at the statue behind them.

“But he never changed. He still treated me the same, I have to admit. He tried to include me in everything just like he usually did. Even brought me around to wherever he and Lu Han went. It was weird but I didn’t care. I just wanted to be with him, and Lu Han didn't seem to mind because he gladly pulled on me as always to join them.

It made him genuinely happy to see Lu Han pulling me by the arm. I’ve never seen Sehun smile or laugh so much. It was beautiful..... He was beautiful." He paused to gather himself before speaking again. 

"I have to admit, Lu Han got me cracking up sometimes too. I swear I thought it’d never end, our time together. Oh that Lu Han, I never got to pay my respects to him.” Kai finally looked down in shame.

“Do you want to?” Lu Han started.

“What?” Kai was startled with the sudden question.

“Go pay your respects. I’d go with you if you want.” 

     Kai looked at the kid once and just smiled. He nodded slowly and before they knew it, they were on their way to the mausoleum.

 

 

     It was dark already and only the two walked in the streets towards the mausoleum. No cars passing, no people walking or loitering around. The stores were already close and only the street lamp post lit their way. The wind was calm but crisp at it swayed the trees. A sudden chill ran through his back making Lu Han wish he brought a sweater with him. But nonetheless Lu Han thought it was a beautiful night for a stroll. 

     He stopped by the door and left Kai to himself. He knew there were much the man wanted to say to his old friend and so he didn’t follow. He’s visited at least once a month anyway, so he didn’t mind staying behind. 

 

     He followed the direction that Lu Han had given him and slowed just by the bend. He didn't anticipate this feeling he'd have. The guilt had enveloped him as he finally turned the corner and saw the name, 'Lu Han died April 12, 2014 in battle." Just under it etched 'in our next lifetime...' Kai can only sigh, it broke him inside. He knew what it meant. It was the last words Sehun had said to the other before he left.

“Lu Han, it’s me Kai. I- I’m sorry I never came to visit or.... see you off properly." He suddenly bit his lips not knowing what to say after. Nothing came to mind at all, and he figured nothing else would matter anyway after a hundred years. So he opted to talk about the one thing he was more sure of now, Lu Han's great-great-greandson.

"Err, I met your great-great-grandson, Lu Han. He’s grown up to be a very respectable man. You would be proud. He looks exactly like you but gosh he’s more like Sehun every minute that I look at him. The way he carries himself, the way he does things; mannered and disciplined, I swear he’s exactly like him.” Kai ran his hands on the etched name on the stone letting the grooves caress the pads of his fingers.

“Thanks to him, I’m here... But that boy, Lu Han, he’s lonely. Watch over him. We can all see how empty he is and how lost his soul has been through his eyes. All he knows how to do is work and train. I don’t even think the kid knows how to live. He’s definitely different from you in that department." Kai smiles a bit to himself.

"But he’s a good kid with good intentions and he deserves to see what you, Sehun and I had experienced. He needs to see love at least once in this lifetime. So..... watch over him."  He continues not really sure what he actually meant it to entail.

     He settled his hand on the corner of the plate and leaned to whisper to himself.

"Oh and Lu Han, your boy said he'll get Sehun back. I believe him. I know he can do it. But I'm not going to lie and tell you I wish you were here... Although, I'm pretty sure, Sehun...he would.”

     His voice lost in its own echoes as the sound bounced back to the marble walls and floor of the room. A tear ran down his cheek and more came as he closed his eyes.  He thought he'd be stronger. He thought he'd be more ready to see Lu Han. But he too, missed the boy who had made everyone's lives different. And so as he whispered, he poured everything he had held on to for a hundred years and sobbed to himself.

"I'm sorry, dear friend." 

 

 

 

“He’s right though, you know. We need to start thinking of what will happen when we do get the Black Pearl back?” Tao blurted out. The group were in the study talking amongst themselves. They took this opportunity to talk about the upcoming events, plans and strategies as Kai and Lu Han was away. The leaders could tell that everyone is starting to get restless and they needed to appease everyone would at least some kind of plan.

“Well, we-” Suho.

“And what do we say about Lu Han? How are we going to tell Sehun that his beloved is forever gone?” D.O. interrupted Suho with panic in his voice.

“We also need to think about the bomb. We don't even know what the state of the bomb is now and what will happen when we bring it back." Chen tried to add his two cents in before he was interrupted by Xiumin.

"But we can’t expect Sehun to volunteer to go back to the vortex again either! So what are we going to do?”

“Then are you volunteering?” Kris replied with his voice raised and his eyes glaring at Xiumin. 

     Xiumin could only look down and shake his head in shame.

     Kris then points at the rest of the members and glares at them all.

“Is there anybody in this room willing to make that sacrifice? Anybody? Nobody?" He was left unanswered with everyone not willing to meet eyes with the leader. Because they knew that they wouldn't want to volunteer themselves for something that crazy.

“Look, even I can't commit to volunteering for a sick mission like that. But the point is, we need Sehun. The grave truth is that we don’t know what’s going to happen and as much as Suho and I want to prepare you guys for what’s to come, there is no doing it. This is just something we have to wing.” Kris hissed at everyone’s impatience and pessimism.

     There was a sudden pause from the truthfulness in Kris's remark. There aren't any way to prepare for what’s to come. 

“Kris is right guys. There’s only so much we know and can do. So if you have any ideas, come out with it. We will listen to anything and consider all suggestions. We have to work together as usual for everything to end well. For now, we might have to wing the whole thing because only time will tell.” Suho added softening his tone.

”Well...” Lay started to say and everyone turned their heads his way to listen.

“We may not have to wing the whole thing. Some, but not all.” Lay began.

 

 

     Lu Han sat on the steps of the mausoleum and pulled out the piece of paper that had the interview notes he had written down. He looked it over perusing every information until his eyes lingered at a couple of bullets. 

“The only time he ever took a break is when he and Kai walked the trail up to the mountains where the platform originally laid.” Suho started.

“We never knew what they talked about or what they did up there but Sehun would always look a bit relaxed after the walk.” Baekhyun added.

“He was closest to Kai. They were like brothers. They practically did everything together.” Chanyeol explained.

“Did they ever.. you know get together?”
“No. To be honest, we thought they were a couple or would’ve ended up together but I guess fate had other plans, because Lu Han came...and well things changed for the two.” Chanyeol replied.

“Sehun never changed”

“Still treated Kai the same”

“Included Kai in everything”

     It seemed that as Lu Han’s side of the paper had Sehun’s name all over, Sehun’s side, however, was filled with Kai’s.

     Just as Kai came out of the mausoleum, Lu Han was standing up ready to go. He pulled on Kai’s hands and started running back home.

“What’s going on?” Kai blurted out.

“Just follow. I think I got it!”

“Huh?”

     But Lu Han didn’t answer, he continued to run phoning Suho and everyone in the manor to meet him in the foyer in 10 minutes.

“Tell Chen to go to my room and pick up my journal it’s under my pillow.” Lu Han demanded at Suho before hanging up.

“Is it a Lu trait to pull on someone’s arm when they’re excited?” Kai started.

“What do you mean?” Lu Han looked back still keeping his pace.

“Oh nothing.” Kai replied with a smile on his face.

 

FLASHBACK

“C’mon Kai! It’s Christmas.  We need to set up the Christmas tree, presents, socks, 1, 2, 3...12 socks and mistle-toes..” Lu Han panted through the sentences.

“Kris’ Tree? Present Socks and Mrs. Toes?” Kai furrowed his brows at the other letting him get pulled to the store that housed nobody but the man by the cashier and the robotic Santa Claus waving and singing "ho ho ho!" It was the only 24 hour store left open and Lu Han dragged Kai in the middle of the night to make a sudden Christmas party for EXO for the next day. Lu Han almost forgot it was Christmas. He and Sehun have been working overtime on the portal that he had forgotten today’s date. 

"We only have 3 hours to make this happen so when everyone wakes up, we’ll be ready to party."

     Kai just rolled his eyes and scoffs. He knew too well that this was all for Sehun and that’s the only reason why he let Lu Han drag him at this hour. Kai loves seeing Sehun smile.

END OF FLASHBACK

     When they finally arrived, everyone was just starting to huddle by the platform waiting for them. Panting and heaving through the sentences, Lu Han mumbled “I got it! I got my three guesses!”

“Wait, we’re doing this now?” Baekhyun questioned eye-half-lidded he was clearly dragged too sudden from his bed.

     Chanyeol was still a little sleepy. He languidly rubbed his eyes as he walked towards the platform. Clearly he was rudely awaken by his roommate as he glared at Baekhyun as he caught sight of him walking towards Lu Han. Chen walked up to Lu Han as well and handed him the journal. Lu Han took off the necklace around his neck and inserted the needle pendant on the lock. 

“One, two, three, four.” He turned the key counter clockwise before the pages started rustling as it opened to a specific page he had bookmarked earlier that day. It was titled 'Birthdays'.

     Lu Han then walked towards the platform and looked around at the members. They watched in anticipation as Lu Han inserted the same key of the journal to the key hole in the platform. He did the same exact thing with the key turning it counter clockwise before the platform lit up and it churned like an engine finally starting up.

“Here goes nothing.” He said and reached out to the key pad that suddenly raised towards him. He was about to type the code when a hand stopped him and interrupted his thoughts. 

“Are you sure about this?” Suho questioned.

“No. But there’s no time to be unsure of anything. We have to take chances now and I think I have the perfect three guesses.” He answered with his voice more assured than ever.

     He raised his voice a bit and started to speak to the members.

“From everything I’ve gathered from all of you and also the journal and the manuscripts, I’ve realized two things. First the code would have to be about the two, Sehun and Lu Han, because they were the creators of the portal.  Also, I can only assume that the needle key was made to incorporate the compass’s significance because it was what Lu Han's choice of key after changing it. Yes it was changed! Lu Han was dedicated to the task at hand and saving the world so after sending Sehun off, he changed it since Kai was there to witness the code and the key. I don’t think he meant anything bad about it but he was just keeping his promise to maintain its secrecy.” Lu Han explained

"Second, I realized how much Sehun meant to Lu Han. So this is how I came upon the first guess; whatever it was, the code that is, it must be about Sehun." Lu Han looked down and blew out air form his cheeks.

Here goes nothing. He thought to himself before typing.

"1-9-9-4-0-4-1-2, ENTER"

     Lu Han typed Sehun's birthday; birth year first and numerical two digit month and date. Then there was a utter silence that deafened the room. A pin could’ve dropped on the floor and it wouldn't be missed as everyone in their breath awaiting the response of the portal.  

"DING!"

     The silence was broken when the portal chimed telling them that it was clearly the wrong combination. Everyone gasped in shock as their hearts felt like it was suffocating in anxiety and fear that the boy might not be able to do it. Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol and hid his face on his chest while Chanyeol bit his lips in anxiety forgetting how irritated he was at the other just minutes ago. A dejected exhale was heard from Kai, and Suho could only reach out to the other’s shoulder for comfort.

     Kai turned around and saw the leader nodding at him. Suho mouthed “It’s okay" and Kai had to force a smile so as not to worry the other. He turned to Lu Han once again and clasped his hands together.

You can do this Lu Han! You can do this! Kai started thinking to himself but later felt so uneasy that he looked up and started talking to his old friend in heaven. Oh for goodness sake Lu Han help your boy down here!

     His first guess was Sehun's birthday because of the fact that his great-great-grandfather circled it in his journal and put hearts around it. He also knew that Sehun was very important to the other so he took this into consideration. He inhaled for a second and thought of his next guess. Although strained, he held his hands to the keypad once again and rubbed his digits to its thumb.

     Lu Han started typing once again.

"2-0-1-2-0-1-2-8".

“January 28, 2012 was the first time the two met. I had to take this into consideration because there were no other indications about Sehun from the journal but this and the birthdate.” He had a slight suspicion that this might not be it either but he still needed to try it out. He pressed ENTER and they all stopped once again to listen. The pause deafened the room once again before the sound echoed in the room and the group grunted in frustration.

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Xiumin finally cracked. He wasn’t much of a pessimist but he realized how the boy had one more try and if failed, they will lose their chance forever. They will lose Sehun forever.

“It was just another guess I needed to try before this last one. Chen had pointed out that he and Lu Han worked on the key together while Sehun worked on the database by himself. I started thinking that the code might be more from his point of view than Lu Han’s. So it had to be something that is important to Sehun just as the compass needle was important to Lu Han” Lu Han started to say but Chen interrupted.

“But Lu Han changed it remember?” Chen exclaimed.

“No, he didn’t. You said it yourself. Lu Han worked on the structure and Sehun on the database.” Lu Han started but was interrupted one last time.

“Then that means...” Kai’s voice a bit excited, he walked closer to the platform. He reached out to the key pad and ran his fingers typing the one date he knew by heart. He didn’t hesitate. Both Lu Hans had been right all along. He had seen the key and the code and he memorized it well as if etched in to his heart. He would be lying if he said that getting Sehun back never crossed his mind but he was relieved when Lu Han changed it or so he thought. Kai just assumed that the code was changed as well along with the key but he didn’t realize that Lu Han wouldn’t have been able to because as the key was important to Lu Han, so was the date to Sehun.

“1-9-9-4-0-1-1-4, ENTER” Kai whispered to himself on a verge of tears, he fell on his knees as the platform chimed for the last time. It was a different tune that brought with it a small tiny bright light that glowed on the center of the platform that slowly grew bigger and bigger by the second.

“He loved you Kai. Sehun loved you as well.” Lu Han can only utter as he held onto the other’s shoulder.

Kai could only lower his head and sob at the moment he realized the truth. 

“Sehunnie” He mumbled and in an instant everyone gasped as they saw a hand reach out of the light. Kai felt a tap on his shoulder and he finally looked up. The sight of an arm reaching out in the light made him sit back on his heel in shock. He couldn't believe it. He's been dreaming about this moment and now its happening right in front of him. He could only hold onto the hand that was on his shoulder.

The Black Pearl is back they finally got Sehun back.

 

a/n: gosh so much had happened in this chapter; EXO as seedlings, SEKAILU relationship, A little bit of Kai's perception of the old Lu Han and the new, the group's restlesness, and finally the blackpearl. I hope you guys have enjoyed it because drama's about to come! Thank you for reading ya'll. I always appreciate you guys keeping up with my stories. Thank you.

 

cr: strawberry-taffy