Sad Sad life

Turning Page

 

“I knew you had it in you, son.” Suho smiled brightly at Lu Han before walking away to marvel at the now lit up platform. Everyone was happy to finally see it working again. They all huddled around him congratulating Lu Han for his hard work. Chen walked up to the keyhole and touched the inserted key.

“Where did you find the key?” Chen questioned.

“I had it all along. It was the pendant to my necklace; a gift for my birthday.” Lu Han tried his best to not sound too proud but his excitement was getting the best of him. He smiled slightly while everyone was busy looking at the key.

“It’s actually a compass needle another heirloom that was passed down in the family along with the journal.” Lu Han added. He smiled one last time before looking around. He noticed that Kai wasn’t in sight and wondered about where the man had gone.  Minutes later, he finally found him standing by the entrance of the door away from the group. Kai was merely watching everyone marvel at the platform once again just like they did back when their old friend, Lu Han, first started the portal. He stood with his arms crossed in his chest scowling at the boy who was getting all the attention yet again.

“Just like your great-great-grandfather.” Kai said to himself as he noticed how excited and proud the boy looked even as he tried so hard to hide it under stolen smiles and lip biting. This Lu Han reminded him so much of their Lu Han then. 

     When finally their eyes met, Kai straightened up and posed a unamused look before walking away. He didn’t want to admit it to the boy but he did well. But before he can leave the room he looked back one last time to see Lu Han talking amongst the group.

Please bring back my Sehun-ah. Please. He whispered to himself.

 

 

 

     That night Lu Han went to bed more hopeful than ever. He thought that if he had the key to the portal all this time dangling on his neck, the only other place to look for the code, the other piece to the puzzle, must be in the journal. He took the key once again that is back on his neck and opened the journal. Four turns counter clockwise and the sound of a very distinct 'click' resonated the room.

“It must be here somewhere.” He began perusing the pages once again and still after hours he still didn’t find a thing. 

“If only I had a clue or something, I would know where to start looking for the code.”

     He stopped for a second feeling a little discouraged once again.

“It’s under my nose. What can it be?” He whispered to himself.

     He closed the journal and furrowed his brow. An incoming headache was building up but he refused to succumbed to it. He rubbed the temples of his head and continued as he brushed away his hair in frusrtation and pain.

    His head fell on the back rest of the chair and he looked up at the ceiling.

“What if I don’t find it? What if I don’t solve this last puzzle?" He sighed in exasperation.

"We need to find another solution. We need to develop another plan."

     So he stayed up all night looking up at the ceiling perusing every other solution he can think of. By the end of the night, he figured that the only other way is maybe dismantling the platform itself but it’s risky. One mistake and they will never get the Black Pearl back.

“First of all his name is Sehun. He’s not just some thing.” 

     Lu Han remembered Kai’s retort earlier.

“Fine, 'Sehun' it is. If I mess up the database, we will never get 'Sehun' back.”

     He paused a bit and decided that he needed to rest, the headache is relentless and he knew what he really needs is sleep. 

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll have to examine and memorize the manual structure of the platform and database inside and out. I need to know everything about it just in case plan A fails.

“Oh God, please let plan A go on without a hitch. Help me find the right code” Lu Han finally says before sleep finally caught up with him and he suddenly fell in a deep slumber. Everything would have to wait until tomorrow morning because hell, he is still human. Disciplined or determined, he still needs to sleep. 

 

 

 

     Bright and early like he wasn’t even lacking any sleep, five hours later he sprung out of his bed two hours before his alarm clock chimed. He washed up and quickly changed into his pressed uniform and shiny cover. He darted out of the manor and headed down to the laboratory. 

     Just like Chen did the day before, he typed in some data on the round table in the middle of the room and displayed the digital copy of the platform. With his stern voice much with authority and demand, he suddenly spoke out loud. 

“Computer, send me the manual scripts of the portal.”

“Sorry User. You do not have permission to access this content” The computer responded.

“Ugh, technicalities."

     He thought for a bit until he had an idea. "Wait.”

"Lu Han, that clown, made all of our lives a little bit more enjoyable, memorable ever since he stepped into it...”

“He was always going around pulling pranks and joking with every one...”

'Hyper' was the word...”

     Lu Han remembered Suho saying to him the other night. With that in mind, he cleared his throat this time before speaking and remembered to add a bit of a hyper quality in his voice. He lowered it a bit and softened the sound that left his lips. His words were almost chimed and bright something he would expect his great-great-grandfather would’ve had back then. It was a long shot but it's all he's got at the moment.

“Computer, send me the manual scripts of the portal.”

     There was a brief pause before the computer continued.

“Gladly sir. Welcome back Lu Han.” The computer replied one last time before sending the manual scripts to the round table for the younger Lu Han to examine and study.

     Lu Han smiled to himself. "Too easy".

 

 

     Researching, reading the journal, standing in front of the round table examining the scripts and the digital model of the platform, spending post dinners at the foyer to inspect the platform in closer distance some more, the boy barely ate and slept. He turned down all the delicious snacks that were offered to him by D.O. to the point of frustration. D.O. was starting to think that Lu Han didn’t like his cooking.

“Alright I give up. What is it that you like to eat? I’ve cooked you all my specialties and still you refuse my cooking.”

     It came out of nowhere and the frustration in the man’s voice startled Lu Han on the spot.

“I, uhm, I-” Lu Han began but D.O. didn’t let him finish.

“Just tell me you don’t like my cooking, and I’ll stop cooking.” He was yelling at the younger boy but instead of pity or guilt maybe even shame, Lu Han replied other wise.

“Then, please do not cook extra anymore.” He calmly responded trying to say it nicely to avoid hurting the other’s feelings. 

“I love your cooking, but I am fine with three meals a day. I don’t really eat a lot and I really prefer to portion my meals. Most of all I’m allergic to strawberries.” He ended the response with a smile before he turned back to the books and the scripts at hand.

“You’re nothing like Lu Han.” D.O. whispered to himself but it wasn't left unheard. Out of nowhere a book slammed shut and Lu Han, irritated by the comment, pushed his chair hard making a loud dragging sound. He stood up glaring once at the elder before trudging out the laboratory. It is one thing to be forced to eat, but it was another to be compared over and over again to his great-great-grandfather. That. He really hated the most.

 

 

 

     On his way to the manor, he caught sight of the training ground and grabbed a weapon on hand. This was his only outlet in times of stress and such. He would pour all of it in the training ground and everybody who knows him dare not be around him at this time for he may really strike and definitely would not stop to say the least. 

     He stood with a sword in the middle of the open space and maneuvered it in the air. Crisp and quick, his agility and concentration peaked when he’s in this mode. He was like dancing with the weapon striking an imaginary opponent from all sorts of direction. Although it should be scary to watch someone rigorously and adamantly try to kill someone non-stop as he pictured himself doing, he was more like gracefully dancing to the music of the wind.

     It was beautiful in Tao’s eyes as he watched behind the columns of the bridge. He had to admit that the kid was really skilled and deserved all the praise. But as he watched the boy’s expression, he couldn’t help but notice the loneliness in his eyes and the impulsive moves of his body. He moved with no hesitation, good during battle, but also bad in a sense that he was more likely to meet a dagger to the heart from harshly using that technique. It was like do or die all of the time. No caution. No fear of death. Tao could only wonder what kind of life he had been living all this time to be this lonely, to be this desperate to die.

     After hours of practice, he found himself rushing towards the manor to read and research some more. He wanted to kick himself for wasting too much time at the training ground but figured he really needed to let go of some frustrations so the time wasn’t really wasted at all.

     He found Baekhyun and Chanyeol playing a sport he only read about in the olden book of his family's library, basketball. He stood there watching amused by it all because he clearly understood the importance of height in this kind of game as Chanyeol dominated under the hoop but was also amazed at how Baekhyun, a boy who is much shorter than his opponent, gained points from shooting furthest away and running quicker and more agile than the other. It was all fair in basketball as he read once, and it's definitely appropriate in this case.

     The two looked really amused by it enjoying each other’s company rather than the game. Lu Han could tell from the tender gazes and the slight joking and bickering of the two that it was for pleasure, happiness and all the positive words you can think of. He caught Chanyeol stare at the other with gazes that made even Lu Han cringed as he looked like a sick puppy awaiting for some attention and affection from its owner. Baekhyun almost always realizes it and he would pat the other or send gentle smiles his way that would earn him a more giddy Chanyeol right after.

“It’s called basketball. You want to join us?” Chanyeol hollered from the court.

     Lu Han shook his head slowly before walking away.

“I have a lot of reading to do if  you want me to get the Black Pearl back.” He yelled to the pair.

    Baekhyun started walking towards him and he stood unfazed by it but grounded nonetheless.

“You know it’s one thing to work hard and diligently, and it’s another to be obsessed by it. You are bordering obsessed if I say so myself, my friend.” Baekhyun continued.

“Yeah take a break or something. Have some fun. Sometimes you need to rest your brain for it to work properly.” Chanyeol quickly passed the ball to Lu Han and with his quick reflexes, caught it. He contemplated a bit. There was much to do, but he had always wanted to try the sport. 

     The two smiled after when he started to dribble the ball towards the hoop and shot from a distance.

“Oh so you do know the game.” Baekhyun commented and caught the rebound just to pass it back to him. He shot again and again until he got the hang of it and found his own technique. Flicking the wrist and bending the knees, he methodically learned from the old books and the videos he had seen from his family's library. He was enjoying himself and found that he was naturally good at the sport. He shot and shot until he missed and found Chanyeol guarding and challenging him at the same time. He dribbled the ball left and right until he faked one side causing Chanyeol to fall on his rear. 

Baekhyun clutched his stomach and fell to ground cracking up at the sight. “I guess you found your match Park Chanyeol!”

     The laughter resonated all over the court. Chanyeol started laughing as well and Lu Han found himself doing the same. When the laughter dissipated, Baekhyun handed the two some water bottles and they sat next to each other on the sidelines.

“You know Lu Han, your great-great-grandfather taught us how to play basketball. He was athletic and could pretty much play any sport back then." He paused a bit and took a sip of his water before proceeding.

"But more than that, he taught me more about life.... more about love.”

     Baekhyun looked out into the distance and smiled at the memories that were flashing back into his head now.

“I thought I was in love with him back then." He started, a smile grazing his lips.

"I always envied how he treated Sehun, the way he took care of him and the way he always made Sehun smile... and happy. There was something about the way he looked at the younger one. Innocent and pure, it was as if Sehun was the world to him. Our youngest once told me that he trusted your great-great-grandfather with all his heart, his mind, body and soul. And he would literally do anything for the other. How great to be able to feel secure like that about someone, I thought and so for sometime, I followed him around hoping for him to notice me." He smiled to himself once again.

"He had that affect on people you know? Granted he was funny, childish and immature. Deep inside, he had away of making you feel happy, comforted even safe and secure. He’s loyal and he loved unconditionally with his all heart. He accepted all of us for our own being not because we were Sehun’s family, but because we were all dear to him as well. Although different, he showed his own way of loving us, each and everyone of us. He was always there cheering us on and making us smile. Our lives were better because we learned what love is and how to be loved. That is all because of your great-great-grandfather.”

     Lu Han can only imagine the things the elder was saying. He looked in amazement at how great this Lu Han they spoke about. It was definitely a different perspective of his great-great-grandfather that he needed to hear. The humanity in him, the love for life and the love he had for EXO is something to be praised, something to be honored.

 

 

     He laid on his bed that night imagining everything that his new housemates have shared with him. He put it along the lines of what he have read from the journal and he laughed. Heart filled with so much emotions, he almost teared at the life his great-great-grandfather have led. 

Lu Han looked at his own life now and he can only blink his eyes to erase the sudden interruption of his beautiful thoughts. It was sad to think that he had no such friends. He had no such memories of pranks and laughter and parties and such. He thought about the day he would die and figured nobody would ever come to his funeral, nobody would ever have such beautiful memories to share in his wake. Nobody will speak highly of him and smile upon his existence the way Suho and Baekhyun have. Because until this day, he still haven't lived.

“Sad Sad life you have, Lu Han. Sad Sad life.” He whispered to himself as he placed his forearm on his face to cover his watery eyes. 

He cried to sleep that night content that at least in sleep he will forget his loneliness at least for a bit.

 

 

a/n: So we learn a bit about our young Lu Han. It definitely contrast to the life of his great great grandfather.  They may look exactly the same but we clearly see the difference in the two.

Anyways here's a tiny Lubaekyeol spam in their sweatpants because they are so cute.

Luhan: That's it? Are you serious?

cr:to owner via google. They were more serious in the story but how cute are these three as you imagine them sitting on the sidelines after playing basketball!!!! lmao.