The hundred year war and EXO

Turning Page
 

“The sweet combination of lies mixed in with the beautiful words ‘I love you’, every cursed pairing of our lips and intertwining of deceit, I can live with that. But you walking away leaving me behind, that I can never do. So let me live in this pitiful reality. Let me bask in the glory of this disguised happiness. Because God only knows, all I really need is you and you alone.”- Lu Han

 

 

     The end of the world had come upon us a hundred years ago. The old nostalgia of mere simplicity long gone. A world war yet again has come from the silent North Korea who have developed a nuclear bomb the size of a chip that can cause the world to implode in itself. They warred and threatened every opposition claiming millions of lives with no sense of direction but destruction. In the end, it has achieved its goal. It had only ended after a tragic loss and a sacrifice of two lovers unlikely to be together yet found each other a little too late to be perfectly matched, only destined for each other.  Their fragile hearts only clung to each other in the last minutes of their lives until at the very end. But nobody will ever know this story. Nobody will ever know the sacrifice of the two who have given up their love to stop what may have seemed to be inevitable.

 

     Sehun is probably still out there, holding on to the slight hope that he’ll see Lu Han one day. Unfortunately, he’s lost that chance a hundred years ago. Unknowingly, he’s still waiting in the middle of the vortex that oversees both time and space, and nothing has changed for him as it may seem.  A hundred years has passed and he’s still 20 years old.

 

 

 

“It took 12 individuals from a foreign place to stop the destruction of our world. I, We are alive standing here a hundred years later because of these unexpected guests. As we celebrate they’re bravery and courageous act of sacrifice, I want to say thank you to Wu Yifan, and his comrades Huang Zitao, Zhang Yixing, Kim Minseok, Kim Jongdae, Kim Jongin, Do Kyungsoo, Kim Junmyeon, Byun Baekhyun, Park Chanyeol, Lu Han and the never forgotten Oh Sehun who have sacrificed much to the preservation of our human race. Let us not forget their sacrifices. Let us continue to protect what they have worked so hard to fight for. Let us stand together as one yet again and pass on their knowledge and courage to our future, the Class of 2117.” The speaker now turned to the students decked in full military uniform; gray and black pressed to the crisp and their covers shining and sitting perfectly atop each of the head of the chosen students who through critical scrutiny passed testing to join and study at the best acclaimed military school, EXO Military Academy.

 

“May your next four years be filled with dedication and perseverance working with one goal in mind; to be as brave and courageous as your forefathers, EXO. The duty is now yours. Welcome to the EXO Military Academy.”

 

     Applause and cheers boomed in the assembly hall as the students who now took a stand in unison, turned to the guests behind them basically families and friends who they may never see again, and saluted with much pride. There is not a single dry eye in the audience because hell, they will never see their sons and daughters ever again unless they make it through twenty years until retirement being left unscathed which is unlikely because there has only been ten individuals who have lasted that long. And their mere existence is now under strict secrecy. 

 

     The imminent world destruction has been long gone but the war is still not over. North Korea now called Freedom Republic still spat its misconceiving slogan, “We are the future. We stand for freedom and equality.” They still occupy a quarter of the planet under the command of the Communist army Commander Kim Jongun. 


     EXO Military academy has been established right after the departure of their most beloved hero, Oh Sehun. Because of his sacrifice, he was able to regain some leverage by taking with him the bomb which was the only thing the North Koreans had against the world at the time. It didn’t stop the endless warring and fighting overseas which still killed millions. It was, however, thanks to the remaining eleven that the Allied Forces have regained control of the war and has now put The Freedom Republic in more restrained limits. World destruction is long gone but the war is still not over. Kim Jongun promised to come back with the deadliest threat to the world once again. It's just that nobody knows when. He is currently in hiding with not so much as a trail or clue and it's been that much harder to find him and put an end to his cruel regime.

 

“Lu Han!”, a voice called out from the stage as the students and families say their last good byes. 

 

     A doe-eyed boy turns around with his fresh honey-colored crew cut that is hiding under his black-uniform cover (hat). The boy smiles at the caller and he bats his lashes to smile at his uncle.

 

“Come with me Lu Han.” It didn’t even take a second but Lu Han obeyed instantly. He had no family to congratulate and cry for him that day but his old Uncle Henry, who has worked in the academy for most of his life. Lu Han’s parents have died a long time ago when he was younger. He grew up under his Uncle’s care only nothing else but the olden ways that have been passed down from their generation to generation. 

 

“Congratulation, Son.” He smiles but doesn’t turn to the other. He kept a stern facade right after as he led the way to the more undisclosed part of the academy. They walked out to a long bridge that connected two huge buildings. Nothing but mountains and trees can be seen on both side. To Lu Han, the walk had been silent but filled with wonder, the slow urgent pace giving an eerie feeling of nostalgia as they trudged down til' the end. It reminded him so much of his father's old house. As the ones beside it or along the neighborhood had been minimalist, simplicity, his father's indoor decor had been traditional, warmed tones and wood, soft cashmere and velvet. walls lined with old books, things that haven't been seen for many years, lamps that had a string you pull to light your desk and even extravagant Persian rugs with intricate designs of flowers and scrolls. It was nothing like the white and grey box that everyone had nowadays with what a clap and motion of fingers can turn any electronic on.

     

     The rickety wood and stone holding up the bridge was nothing sort of close to what he had come from, stone walls, tall and cold with not so much as decor of any sort. Rows and rows of buildings lining up a clear path was nothing compared to the oldness of what's beyond his view, greenery surrounding him, as endless downfall on either side of the ledge. Carvings on the column that held the canopy, even the cobble-stoned floor, had been everything but what he had grown up with. It's a sight to see the beauty of intricacies and detail that he doesn't see too often outside in the world nowadays.

     The building in front of him stood erect atop the tallest mountain among its neighbors. The school ground itself was the monumental sight where their hero, Oh Sehun, was last seen.  

     Lu Han kept calm and swallowed dryly as he followed his Uncle towards the monumental site. A lump on his throat had been clawing in anticipation and fright as he was now approaching, the very spot their world's heroes had been laid to rest.  He almost feels small as he approached the wide door in front of him not feeling like he belonged to such a place. Lu Han had never thought a day like this would come where he'd get to see the building itself. But nothing can stop him now. He needs to be brave and strong just like the courageous great-great-grandfather that he was named after.

 

      Lu Han looks back and as if he had stepped into some kind of time machine where three steps back would've been 2117, and three steps forward, was another world only familiar to him through the books he's read and reminiscent of his father's old place. He takes those three steps forward and he's standing in front of an old dusty golden door that was 20 feet high laced with markings and carvings that is far from the new alphabet that has been adapted. It was written in old English a lost language of a hundred years ago. Only a few can read and understand it now. Lu Han is one of them.

      Henry swiped his card and inserted a key in the hole next to scanner and the door opened a jar. Lu Han has never been in this side before. This other building looked like some old castle from a Harry Potter book, an old book that his family still kept from the olden days. It may be the last living proof of that simple life. There is not a book in sight anymore. It has been replaced with digital devices and such. But the Lu family still held on to their little treasures. It was the favorite past time of Lu Han’s great-great-grandfather apparently and he treasured his books. Hence, Lu Han is able to read the simple markings on the door

“Here lies the last battle for humanity. Here lies the door to the lost soul of the black pearl.” He whispered to himself.

 

     Lu Han ran his fingers on the makings that were written in old English alphabet font.


“You can read it.” It wasn’t a question but a statement from his proud-looking Uncle.

 

     They walk in a grand foyer, a huge room much like walking into an old vintage movie he’s seen a long time ago. Marble floors, grand chandelier in the middle hanging with sparkling crystals against the light in the center, it’s like a million diamonds sparkling over head. There were paintings of the original eleven and a statue of a tall boy with sweeping long hair in the center of the room. He was decked in armor holding a small object in hand. It is not clearly seen though with its height, but he among a few others knew what it was; a compass. As tales had been passed down, it was said that Oh Sehun sacrificed himself saving earth from self-implosion by jumping into a vortex that overseen time and space, hence disrupting the normal cycles and orbits of the universe preventing the explosion of the bomb.  In simpler words, he carried the bomb to a place where time was nonexistent to prevent the bomb from exploding and destroying not only earth but also the universe. The explosion would've disrupted the universe creating a temporary black hole that would've in god knows the whole galaxy if left alone.

 

     Back to the compass on the hand, it was said to have been given by his lover asking Sehun to find his way back to them one day. Both knew that it was unlikely but the sweet lies of each word promised and received were the only thing that two clung to as they had less than a minute to spend together before Sehun walked inside the portal sending him to wherever they have decided.

 

    Lu Han caught himself looking up at the statue, his fingers barely grazing the arm that held the compass. He’s never loved before but by the look in the statue's eyes, he could only imagine the sincere sadness the boy felt when he had to part with the only one he loved.

 

“Lu Han, welcome to EXO Manor.” a figure descended down the grand staircase in front of him and he snaps his body erect to salute. It was the gold chevrons that gave it away gleaming from a distance. The gold hexagon shining on the other’s shoulder as the light reflected from it only indicated a high ranking official in the military. He dared not look at him directly and he stayed saluting until the other said ‘At ease, Cadet!” He clasped his hands on his back with his legs apart, body still erect and eyes still looking out to the farthest wall in front of him. It was the picture of the late Kim Jongdae, a member of EXO smiling at him from the painting. He only grew more nervous. 

 

     The man chuckled to himself at the sight of a very fresh cadet in front of him. He could tell Lu Han had been a new graduate by his near to perfect stance and demeanor. He continued to descend down the stairs but was slowly  stopped as he had managed to finally get a closer look of the boy's face. The man just about dropped his jaws in  shock as he examined the boy head to toe when he finally reaches Lu Han's Uncle.

 

“Henry, your nephew... I--- I never thought.” He was breathless at the mere sight of the younger boy in front of them.

 

“I know, sir. Trust me, I know.”

 

     Lu Han furrowed his brows and he wanted to question the comment until he heard another footstep this time running down the stairs followed by other hurried footsteps behind it. He snapped his irises to the side and caught more gold shining chevrons, meaning more officials. He wanted to salute again but one of them crashed into his body and hugged him tight, the one running down the stairs.  


“Lu Ha-!”, the other whimpered into his shoulder. And Lu Han tried to keep his bearing but lost it when he heard the silent sobs of the one clinging onto his shoulder.

 

     The sound of his gasps echoed in the room and everyone hurriedly came to his side to gawk as well. The tallest male sporting longer golden fringes that drooped on the side of his face gawked at him and ran his fingers to Lu Han’s face.

 

“Wow. Spit image.” The tall man started to say in awe. The rest all hummed in agreement. 

 

    The man and Henry could only chuckle to themselves as their comrades  the face of the boy mindlessly and continued to examined him from top to bottom. Lu Han had begun feeling irritated, but he stood on his spot trying his hardest not to move or swat their hands because these were high-ranking officers of the military and it's not his place to avoid them or say 'no' to them. Instead, he had began looking rigid in annoyance.

 

 “Uncle Henry!” Unable to breathe from the tight embrace, he could only whisper to his Uncle for salvation. The arms around him loosened and the boy yelped in front of him.

 

“Uncle?” The tall boy with dark circles under his eyes mumbled under a hiccup and he snapped his head at Henry.

 

     Henry walked up to the very confused man and squeezed his shoulder with an assuring smile.

 

“Yes. I'm his Uncle. This, my friends, is my nephew, Lu Han. Named after his great-great-grandfather, our dear friend, Lu Han.”

 

     The boy with dark hair had paled contrasting to the dark circles under his eyes and his hands reached for his mouth in shock. 

 

“It can’t be! He looks--- exactly like him” after the murmured shock, he then turned speechless noticing the now scared and horror-stricken face of the younger boy. He grabbed the younger's wrist and pulled him in front of one of the paintings on the wall.

 

“See!” The man pointed out to the painting and Lu Han gasped at the resemblance he saw. It was like looking into a mirror. Making him want to touch the face in the painting but held his hand back bringing it to his mouth instead. It took a while for Lu Han to digest everything. He looked up at the boy who is holding his wrist and jumped a bit as he recognized the face, his eyes now darting at the others behind him and back to the paintings that lined the wall. He ran to each painting as he tried to verify his suspicion.

 

“You--- You guys are EXO!” He stuttered with his wide-eyes scheming every face in front of him still unsure of what he sees.

 

“You are right, Lu Han. We are EXO, the one only. Welcome to the Manor.” One of them had started to say but still Lu Han couldn't digest the information. With all the confusion and suddeness, Lu Han found himself simply turning away from the familiar faces and now stared intently at the most familiar face of all. Lu Han’s shoulder fell and his eyes darted back to what may seem like his reflection against the acrylic paint on the canvas and he's in more awe now that he had just been seconds ago.

 

“EXO...” He said breathless to himself.

 

cr: kaieru-wa