Then and now

Turning Page

 

 

     Lu Han fiddled with his pendant once again. He was in class finally and the teacher is talking about having testing in the end of the week. 

Already? Dang, we just started. He blinked his eyes in irritation. It’s not that he doesn’t know the material. He learned it a long time ago from one of his readings. It’s just annoying to him, the repetitiveness of it all.

     Lu Han spent much of his known childhood reading in his great-great-grandfather’s library. He practically read every hard covered book in it. He wasn’t much with going out with friends, let alone playing. His free time which was after fencing, Judo, swimming, range practice, and language lessons, was spent reading the books in the library. He enjoyed every one of those books. It’s like spending time with his great-great-grandfather which he never met but was sure to have enjoyed his company. 

     Many spoke about how great his great-great-grandfather was. It also didn’t surprise him that Suho spoke highly of the man. He was told that he was a prankster, but quiet observant. Never serious unless needed and very smart. His favorite book series, he heard, was a fiction called Harry Potter. Lu Han quickly read the series after hearing about it from his grandparents. Although there was nothing useful in the book, he enjoyed it. He enjoyed getting lost in the world of wizards and magic. But most of all, he liked the idea of friends and the loyalty that the main characters had for each other. Lu Han had always wondered how it would’ve been like to have friends.

     School was hectic but he only found himself to be half engrossed in it. He still thought about the group’s reaction earlier. He thought about Kai and his obvious disdain for his great-great-grandfather. He tried to see it in his point of view because he had never seen himself too narrow-minded when it came to other’s perception of things. He was clearly jealous of Sehun and Lu Han’s relationship because before Lu Han came, Kai was Sehun’s best friend. 

     Then Lu Han thought about the journal and its contents. A headache was boiling inside and he’s irritated at what he’s not seeing. The answers are all in the journal. He just knows it.

 

     He was in the training grounds, sparring with another student. It’s not class time but he's doing it just for practice or maybe he enjoys it. Lu Han anticipated every blow from the other striking him from every direction trying so hard to outdo him. But Lu Han just stood there perfectly still awaiting for an imminent opening when his opponent will tire and try to catch his breath. That’s when he decided he would move in. The 30 seconds he stood there blocking and dodging every blow, he was slowly trying to read his opponent. And in moments time, he found it; the expected lag, a sign of the other's tiredness. The boy stood not even a millisecond to catch his breath before picking another stance. And in that uncertain pause of the other, Lu Han made his moves that had the other student pinned under him, submitting right away. 

"Lu Han, your skills are impeccable. You definitely live up to your great-great-grandfather's name." His opponent congratulated as Lu Han drank his bottled water. Lu Han however, was not amused. He stopped drinking right away and glared at the boy. With his jaws clenched and the empty bottle of water thrown harshly to the ground, he walked away without saying a word.

"What? Did I say anything bad?" The other boy could only turn to his peers in confusion.

 

 

     Meters away, there stood Kris, Tao and Lay watching him from the bridge.

"Indeed he is good." Lay started.

"Can't be better than me." Tao defended.

"Oh, child please. You can't even beat D.O.-Umma who practically stops every time he hits you to say 'Are you okay!'"

"Exactly why I can't beat him. I feel bad hitting him back right after he stops and comes towards me with those tenders and caring big eyes." Tao retorted. Lay could only laugh at the other's persistence.

     Kris however was lost in his thoughts the whole time still watching the young boy walk away. He remembered Lu Han, their Lu Han back in the day. They were close as brothers can be. Lu Han was older than all except for Xiumin, but he acted like the youngest all the time. Kris's mind wanders to the time Lu Han asked Tao to teach him how to fight. He was a persistent child lacking skills in fighting but never determination. His spirit and humor, his light-heartedness, that is what got him through the gruesome training Tao had put him through. That was the only reason why he lasted in battle back then. It was also the reason why he died.

     Losing Sehun of all things, he lost his spirit just as if Sehun took his heart with him to the vortex. Lu Han was never the same after that. The depression is what killed him. One day, he just gave up all together. Tired and lost, he just succumbed to his death as a dagger that was coming his way pierced straight into his heart. He could've dodged it or so it may seem. But he didn't. 

     Kris looks at the younger Lu Han now and sees the skills, the methodical mannerism and actions of a child who has been brought up to be a fighter trying to live up to his great-great-grandfather's name sake.

"It must be hard for him. He's had the responsibility of upholding the name since birth."

Tao and Lay stopped bickering in an instant and turned to their leader. They followed the gaze that was still stuck on the younger boy fleeting the training field. They both understood.

 

"Lu Han, your skills are impeccable. You definitely live up to your great-great-grandfather's name."

     The statement made his blood boil. He hated being compared to or praised for his skills like it was his great-great-grandfather that worked hard to perfect all of it. Granted he loved his family but he hated how he was named after him. He looked up to the hero that which is his great-great-grandfather but the more EXO spoke about him the more he realized that he was not what he expected. Granted he was known to be a prankster and such but he never knew he had a "weak- childish" heart as he called it. He heard of the way his great-great-grandfather died. It was something for the books. Heroic Lu Han charges up in battle with nothing but his fist and his courage. Nothing stood alive in his way. 

He was just a child at heart. Immature and young, he led his life always listening to his heart. Lu Han presumed. 

"Listening to his heart..." He hummed to himself before something clicked inside and he had an idea that made him sprung out of his pace, darting off to one direction.

     Lu Han hurried off to the manor and locked himself in his room. He took out the journal and slipped off his necklace again to unlock it, four turns and then 'click'. He thumbed the pages and began reading where he left off.

 

 

     EXO on the other hand had figured that they needed to help Lu Han in the best way they know. They all knew that it wasn’t going to help if they just kept pushing the responsibility on Lu Han. One day he would crack and they may lose all hope all together. 

     D.O. spent the whole afternoon cooking up the best meal ever. He didn’t realized it but as he laid down the countless entrees on the table, he literally cooked all of his old friend's, Lu Han’s, favorite dishes. He went back to the kitchen and polished the icing in the strawberry cake on the counter, his old friend's favorite dessert. He was too proud of his work that he clasped his hands after situating the last strawberry on top of the cake admiring his creation. 

“There. All done!” D.O. thought of feeding the boy good food to energize and encourage the kid to work hard in finding the clues. He thought that it was the least he can do since his old friend Lu Han, always enjoyed his cooking back then. He once said so himself.

“Umma, I swear your cooking is the best! In no time, I bet I’ll finish the portal because of your delicious food that always inspire and energize me. Thanks, Umma!”

     D.O. can still hear the echo of his voice in the kitchen. It made him happy to see Lu Han like that, happy and full of life.

Oh, how I miss you Lu Han.

 

     Dinner time came and every body is already seated except for one person, Lu Han.

“Xiumin, go get Lu Han.” Kris demanded.

     Right away Xiumin stood up and headed for upstairs. He slowly knocked on the door of the younger one and told him about dinner.

“Yeah, I’ll be right there.” Lu Han answered

     Xiumin started walking away from the door when he figured to pull a prank on the boy. He pulled one of his plastic spider toys and held it in his hand. He stood opposite of the opening of the door and waited. Pulling pranks on the other members where Xiumin and Lu Han’s favorite hobby back then. It was mostly towards D.O. and Chen because they were the easiest to scare. It was always funnier seeing D.O.’s pale face with wide eyes as if it can get any bigger than it already was. Chen would just plainly squeal and scream like a girl. He hated spiders and so Lu Han made sure they were always equipped with a fake toy.

     Lu Han finally opens the door and does not see Xiumin standing on the opposite side. Xiumin then throws the spider toy on the boy’s shoulder making Lu Han snap his head towards it, quickly snatching it and throwing it on the floor. He caught sight of Xiumin standing right behind him, and Xiumin could only stare at the boy's expressionless face before the other walked away.

Oh that was a downer. Xiumin thought to himself before following the boy downstairs.

 

 

     Although shocking, EXO looked at the massive amount of food laid out on the table and just knew why D.O. cooked it and planned it this way. It was literally everything that their Lu Han, liked. So it was just that much anticipation when they saw the younger Lu Han stare at the table in front of him. His eyes widened in shock at the array of entrees all laid out for all of them. It was still clearly too much serving, granted there was eleven of them.

Wow, so much food. And they all look so delicious He wanted to say out loud but thought that it would’ve been disrespectful and childish to drool over it. He simply bit his lips quick as he lowered his chin to his chest while pulling his chair to sit.

     The platters got passed around and he took a little bit of everything. He would’ve wanted to clean out every entree but was just too shy to do so. He opted to portion his meal and eat quick. The table was silent and everyone although minded their own plate was secretly taking short glances at the boy’s response and actions. It was as if they were awaiting for his joyful cheer of the food displayed much like the old Lu Han would’ve done back in the day. 

   Minutes later, although most were still half-way done, he took the napkin to his mouth and started to speak. 

“There’s a flaws in your plan.” He said in a monotoned voice. His statement made everyone stop what they were doing. All eyes were on him now intently curious of what he has to say.

“What if, when we do get the black pearl home, he doesn’t want to go back after two weeks? Then what? And...” He stopped a bit and cleared his throat. He glanced at Kai making the other look away before resuming his questions.

“Have you guys ever thought about the black pearl’s reaction as to coming back? One hundred years later? With Lu Han already dead?” It wasn’t a far-fetched question. If he didn’t know anything about love, he understood the importance of Lu Han to Sehun and vice versa. Surely, Sehun’s reaction would not be a pleasant thing to see.

Kai snapped his head at his statement and hissed at Lu Han. 

“First of all his name is Sehun. He’s not just some 'thing'. And what do you know of what he’ll feel?” Kai retorted.

“It’s a legit question Kai. I’m just saying.” Lu Han replied with hidden irritation in his voice. He tried to keep his calm because he already knows that if he blew up on Kai, things will not end well and they will not get anywhere. But he was interrupted right away.

“So what if he refused? So what if Lu Han’s dead? The point is we need him!” Kai didn’t realize he was yelling on the top of his lungs that his voice cracked at the last sentence he made and it took a comforting touch from D.O. to calm his nerves down. He looked at D.O. to reassure the other that he was okay before excusing himself away from the table and walking out the dining room.

Everyone looked back at Lu Han and he almost felt guilty on the spot.

“I’m sorry everybody. I’m just...I was just..” Lu Han began.

“We know Lu Han. We all have thought about it. Trust me. It’s been a long time, a hundred years worth. But bottom line is we have no choice but to cross that bridge when we get there. More than anything we really do need Sehun to put up a fair fight.” Suho said with his voice understanding and comforting at the same time. It only made Lu Han lower his head more in shame and guilt. Suho brought the napkin to his mouth and pressed it against his lips.

“I’ll go after him.” He said right after. There was a line crossed and a question in haste that shouldn't have been asked but needed to be addressed. But still Lu Han felt the guilt even more after watching the leader walk away after Kai.

 

 

     When dinner finally finished, everyone scattered the manor on their own. Chen and Kris decided to hang out at the study while Tao and Lay continued their bickering about who was a better fighter between the two which brought them to their training ground as they tried to settle it once and for all, while D.O. Xiumin, Baekhyun and Chanyeol sat on the grass cheering and betting against each other.

     Lu Han was invited to join as he passed them on the training ground on the way to the main building. He wanted to look at the portal which was the statue, from a closer standpoint. He figured maybe he’ll find more clues there. When he finally arrived on the main entrance, he heard voices, two people talking in a hush. He suddenly lightened his steps and snuck behind a pillar to hide. It was Suho trying to talk to a distraught sounding Kai.

"I don't have to understand him, Suho. He comes over here trying to act like he's some goddamn big shot."

    Lu Han balled his fist to his side trying so hard to hold his temper and get himself together before he's found eaves dropping.

"I hate that we have to rely on that kid who looks like he's not a bit interested to help."

"I doubt that, Kai. I think he's just trying to cover the bases. I mean he's very different from our Lu Han. He's more mannered and methodical, more serious and disciplined. To be honest, imagine if it was our Lu Han who bore the responsibility. He would've whined about it first and then turn to Sehun to make him smile. He would've done it right away but not after he gets the attention he needed from Sehun." Suho chuckled earning a smile from the other.

"But you have to give it to this Lu Han. He's as dedicated as our friend. He's loyal too and that is something to admire about the kid. It's not hard for a kid to bare all the responsibility just because he had to be loyal to his family." Suho added and Lu Han relaxes to this last bit.

Suho squeezed his shoulder and turned the other to face him. He looked into Kai's eyes intently and began to speak once again.

"Have faith Kai. I believe that kid will figure it all out without putting his family and his namesake to shame. He is after all Lu Han's great-great-grandson."

"He better or I'll take that journal with or without his permission." Kai scoffed before replying sarcastically.

     They both walked away leaving Lu Han alone with his back against the pillar. He was feeling that burden once again. Suho is much too kind to him that now he doesn't want to disappoint the elder.

     He walked over to the platform and looked up at the statue in the middle.

"Tell me already, Oh Sehun! Where do I start?" He called out sarcastically as if the stone would answer back. He paused obviously not really expecting an answer from the stone carved look-a-like but began to chuckle because he wanted by any means a miracle, magic, anything for an answer from somewhere, anywhere to pop out of nowhere.

    He circled the platform as he fiddled with his pendant once again examining every nook and cranny as he had done countless of times in the laboratory. He stopped walking right in front of the keyhole. He grazed his fingers on it while continuing to fiddle with his pendant with the other hand, when he stopped all together and his eyes widened. The shape of the hole and the shape of the pendant were the same. He quickly slipped the necklace off his head and unlocked the latch that held the necklace together dropping the gold chain without care and gripping the pendant with his fingers.

"Let it fit. Let it fit. Let it fit!" He chanted until the key slid perfectly inside and as if by habit he turned it four times counter clockwise and something in the platform lit up and the key pad on the other side ascended and lit up at the same time.

     He got the panel started. He figured out the key to the portal and he released the key slowly smiling proudly as he had figured out the first clue. Of course he stopped right away and looked around to see if anybody saw him. He thought it wouldn’t be good for his uncles to see him so childish. He might lose their respect of all things. He finally looked up and smiled gently at the statue. 

"I'll get you home, Oh Sehun. I will fulfill his promise."