Conversations

Baby Steps

Key had just finished a meeting with an important client and it was taking all his will to prevent him from sprinting back to his office. It wasn’t that he was frustrated with the client or that the meeting went badly. No, it actually went really smoothly even though the meeting itself went on for much longer than usual since the client wanted to discuss and go over all the details at one go.

Key usually didn’t have a problem with that since it would save a lot of time in the long run but he couldn’t help but feel a sense of urgency. He knew that Onew would do just fine on his own but he couldn’t shake the feeling of wanting to see his baby boy. It was just slightly over 4 months since they brought Jaesung home and every day has been nothing short of a challenge but it was also the most rewarding experience just to watch Jaesung grow.

He knew that he was being silly right now as he rushed to pack his things and stuff all his work stuff into his bag. He took one last look around his office to make sure that he had taken everything that he needed since he was now working mostly from home and only came to work whenever there were meetings to attend or clients to meet.

He passed Woohyun just as he was walking briskly towards the elevators. “Can’t wait to get back to your son?” Woohyun teased, knowing exactly how to read Key’s behaviour by now.

Key rolled his eyes at his best friend. “Oh shut it. Wait till you get a kid of your own, I’ll be the one laughing at you then.” He retorted playfully.

“Yeah yeah, sure, whenever that ever happens.” He smiled, knowing that he had won this round for now. “See you later. Drive safe!” Woohyun said just as the elevated dinged its arrival.

“Alright later! Call me if anything urgent comes up.” Key reminded out of habit.

“Will do. Give Jaesung a kiss for me.” Key heard Woohyun say before the elevator doors closed shut.

 

- - - -

 

Key slipped the key into the lock and turned it, letting out a soft sigh when the door unlocked and allowed him to push it open. It felt good to finally be home. He thought to himself as he toed off his shoes and quickly placed on the shoe rack beside the door before making his way through the hall.

He would usually announce his arrival when he came home but he and Onew decided to stop that ever since Jaesung was added to their family because they never knew where exactly Jaesung might be napping and didn’t want to accidentally startle him awake.

The house was so quiet that he wondered for a moment if both Onew and Jaesung were taking a nap, especially since it was only 4 in the afternoon. He heard voices coming from the kitchen as he walked further into the house. It sounded like it was coming from the kitchen but it was too soft and muffled for him to make out what was being said.

He stopped by the living room first where he slid his bag down onto the couch and shrugged off his jacket before draping it over the back. He was much closer to the kitchen now and could finally hear what was being said.

“Are you sure it’s ok? Not to cheesy or anything?” Onew asked seriously and this has Key wondering for a moment whether Onew had invited someone over while he was gone but what he hears next makes the corners of his mouth tilt upwards in a wide smile.

A chorus of babbling followed Onew’s question and that was immediately answered by a response from Onew. “Ah, that’s good to know.”

Suddenly, Key was moving again, this time towards the kitchen because now, he really wants to see what was taking place in the kitchen.

A strange gurgling sound was made just as Key stuck his head out and peeked into the kitchen through the open doorway. “Oh, you want to hear the melody? Let me see if I can remember how the chorus goes.” Onew said as he tapped his chin and looked up for a moment before starting to hum a tune that Key had never heard before. Key’s eyes flicked towards Jaesung when the latter hadn’t made anymore sounds, only to see that Jaesung’s big brown eyes were fixed on his father who was still humming the chorus.

A warm smile appeared on Key’s face even as he felt a warm tingly sensation spread through his body. He let his eyes wonder to the kitchen countertop and saw that there was an empty milk bottle off to the right of Onew and a bowl settled in the space between Onew and Jaesung.

All of a sudden, Onew stopped humming and Key feared for a second that his presence had been noticed but was relieved when his boyfriend spoke once again.

“Opps. I forgot the rest of it already.” Onew admitted with a laugh, causing a burst of high pitched squeals and laughter from his son.

“Yah, you were supposed to be helping me with the bridge of the song, you know, not distracting me.” Onew playfully admonished as he lifted the orange-coloured plastic spoon from the bowl and brought it to Jaesung’s open mouth. He clamped down his lips around the spoon and swallowed some of the thick puree but most of it ended up dribbling messily down the sides of his mouth, leaving Onew to pull out the spoon and scoop up the food that was dripping down his chin.

“Do you want more?” Onew asked, looking expectantly at Jaesung for a response and was answered by a string of syllables.

“Ok then. Here we go.” Key has to hold back a chuckle as he watches Onew lift the spoon up high and make zigzag movements in the air accompanied by airplane sounds as he brought the spoon closer and closer to their son’s mouth. Jaesung clamps down on the spoon again once it was in his mouth and this time, succeeded in swallowing most of it.

Onew returned the spoon to the bowl before using Jaesung’s bib to dab off the remnants of the food. “You’re eating so well today.” He commented happily before his expression changed in a split second. “If only your appa can do as well as you with his song composing.” He said, acting exaggeratedly depressed. Key watched the whole scene unfold with familiarity, shaking his head at yet another one of his boyfriend’s many dramatic spur-of-the-moment acting.  

Jaesung’s curious gaze never left his father’s face though even as he let out a series of squeals and burbles. Onew smiled and nodded as he listened attentively and nodded as if he understood exactly what his baby son was trying to say,  reaching out unconsciously to adjust Jaesung’s bib so that it was tucked properly under his chin again.

“You think so?” Onew asked earnestly. “I really should have more confidence in my work, shouldn’t I?”

Key found himself smiling again and had the resist the urge to walk over and give his silly boyfriend a hug and a kiss. After all this time, he was still falling even more in love with this man.

Onew scoops more of the pureed orange food and brings the spoon once again to Jaesung’s mouth but this time, he doesn’t open his mouth. Onew tries again, this time mimicking the action and sounds of a train and although Jaesung’s eyes follows the moving spoon with interest, his lips remained firmly shut.

“No?” Onew cocked his head to the side in question as if he wanted a confirmation from Jaesung but then smiled a goofy smile and popped the spoon into his mouth. “Mmm. Yum. I’ve always liked sweet potato and pumpkin.” He announced with an elaborate smack of his lips before quickly scooping another spoonful and popping it in his mouth.

Key couldn’t stop the chuckle that bubbled out of his throat but didn’t feel at all guilty when Onew spun around in his seat and saw him. Key stepped out from behind the wall and leaned against the frame of the doorway, crossing his hands as he regarded Onew with an amused expression on his face.

Onew rubbed the back of his neck and returned Key’s look with a sheepish smile. “Hey, how long have you been there?” He asked, his voice full of warmth and longing in contrast with the expression he wore.

“A while.” Key replied as he pushed himself off the doorframe and moved towards his son, leaning down to place a brief kiss on his forehead before settling into Onew’s lap, his side against the older’s chest, arms around his boyfriend’s neck as he tucked his face into the crook of Onew’s neck and breathed in the scent that he missed the most.

“We were having a heart to heart talk.” Onew felt the need to explain when Key didn’t say anything else after that.

“I know. It looked like a pretty serious discussion to me.” Key decided to play along since it was rare that he could tease the older.

“It was. Jaesungie was helping me with the song I’m working on.” Onew answered as seriously as he could but couldn’t control the smile that appeared on his face. He craned his neck and tipped Key’s head back so that he could press a kiss onto his lips. It was meant to be a simple greeting peck but Key surprisingly chose to deepen the kiss, which of course, Onew didn’t have a problem with.

Key hummed in satisfaction after they had pulled away for air. “You taste sweet and yummy. I’m hungry.” 

 

 

====

Ok, got an update out~ This time it didn't take as long as the previous chapters! I'll try my best to be diligent with my writing although it really depends on how much free time I have that week. This coming week is going to be crazy busy but I hope I can get an update up by next weekend? *fingers crossed*

There are probably just a couple of chapters left to this so I'm already thinking about the my next story ^___^

Enjoy~