Surprises

Baby Steps

“Babe, you know you didn’t have to do this right? I could have just taken the other car.” Key turned to the side to look at Onew who had insisted on driving him to the office, which was totally out of the way from where he was headed to himself.

Onew turned and gave Key a quick glance and a goofy smile before returning his attention back to the road.  “Yup, I know. But I wanted to. I’ve always wanted to be able to drive my beautiful boyfriend to work and then pick him up at the end of the day, so that we can head home together.”

“So cheesy!” Key scoffed, rubbing his upper arms like he was trying to get rid of the goose pimples but Onew paid him no mind.

“I know you love all the cheesy things I do for you, even if you won’t admit it.” Onew beamed confidently, a warm happy feeling spreading throughout his body when Key didn’t even try to deny it.

“Tch. You know, you really shouldn’t be using the word ‘beautiful’ on a man.” Key mock huffed, trying to change the topic instead, even crossing his arms across his chest to try and make the act more convincing.

Onew just chuckled, not falling for Key’s acting, even though it was pretty convincing and would definitely trick those that didn’t know him well enough. But Onew wasn’t one of those people. He could read Key like a book by now. “Would ‘pretty’ be better then?” He teased, earning him a glare from Key, but one that lacked any coldness, as Onew discovered when he stole another glance at Key.

“You’re impossible.” Key huffed again and looked out the window as he decided to keep up his act for longer than usual.

Onew knew the reason why the younger was so out of character today though. Key was going to give a pitch today and although he had given quite a few before, those projects were rather minor compared to the one at stake today. He remembered Key using the words “huge” and “very influential” to describe this particular client before going on for the next 5 minutes about how securing the project would help his career and gain him the recognition he needed to make it big in the fashion industry.

Onew hadn’t understood much of what Key had rambled about that day—he had never been that interested in fashion anyway, but he did know how important designing was to Key, so he did make a mental note of it, even if Key wasn’t aware of it.

The rest of the ride to Key’s workplace was rather silent, with only the songs from the radio playing softly in the background. Onew allowed Key to get lost in his thoughts and also allow him to calm himself down. He knew that Key didn’t like to talk much when he was feeling jittery.

When Onew finally pulled up at the lobby of Key’s workplace, he heard Key let out a soft sigh before flicking his eyes towards Onew. He knew that Key was about to apologize for snapping at him earlier so he quickly added.

“Why don’t you look in the glove compartment?” Onew suggested quite cheerily.

Key just raised an eye brow and shot Onew a skeptical look, as if to warn, “it better not be a practical joke, or else…”.

Onew just chuckled, “Just open it, I promise that nothing is going to jump out and scare you.”

Despite the reassurance, Key still reached forward very hesitantly and opened the glove compartment really slowly, stealing a peek inside before he allowed the compartment door to fall open.

A small smile appeared on his face as he reached out to take the Polaroid that was taped to the back of the empty compartment. It was a snapshot, that Onew that taken just the night before while Key was in the shower, of Onew and their dogs. It had taken several tries before Onew finally managed to get both Comme des and Garcons to look into the camera and not at him.  He had then written the words “We’re always cheering you on! Fighting (파이팅)!” at the bottom and then quickly ran out of the house to the car to tape it in place before Key got out of the bathroom.

Key stole a quick glance at Onew, feeling shy all of a sudden as his gaze softened as he continued to look at the photo in hand, the smile on his face widened and he finally relaxed for the first time since getting into the car. “When did you do this?” He asked softly.

“Last night, while you were in the shower.” Onew beamed proudly, happy that his surprise event was a success.

Key cocked an eye brow and smirked at him. “Is that why you didn’t take up my offer to join me in the shower?”

“Y-yeah.” Onew conceded, his face heating up ever so slightly as he settled for a monosyllable answer instead of trying to form a sentence. He could never get used to Key being so forward about ual stuff even if it was the two of them.

Key chuckled and leaned over, filling Onew’s vision with his face and then kissing him in the next second. Onew’s hands immediately cupped each side of Key’s face to hold him in place as he deepened the kiss.

Key’s lungs were burning when Onew finally broke the kiss, his forehead resting against Key’s as they panted heavily.

“I love you, baby.” Key said breathlessly, after a moment, his eyes still locked with Onew’s.

Onew stared back, it was insane how much love he had for Key, he wanted to express it into words, to whisper them to Key everyday but words weren’t nearly good enough. As crazy as it sounded, he knew that Key knew exactly what he was thinking as could see the conflicted emotions in Key’s eyes as well.  He bit his lower lip as he fought the urge to kiss Key again, it didn’t help that Key was now staring intensely at his lips, no doubt drawn by their movement.

He tilted Key’s chin up a little with his fingers, successfully locking gazes with Key once again. “I love you too, baby. I know you’ll do great today, so don’t worry so much, alright?” Onew leaned up and placed a quick peck on Key’s forehead while his thumb gently brushed against the soft skin of Key’s cheekbones.

Key could only hum in reply, his eyes closed from the kiss placed on his forehead. He took a deep breath before opening his eyes. “I’ll see you this evening?” Key asked.

Onew smiled. “I’ll see you this evening. I’ll definitely be here waiting for you.” He replied confidently. “Good luck.” He said before pecking Key on the nose and releasing Key’s face from his hold.

Key gathered his things before pulling the handle and opening the car door, looking back at Onew one last time and sharing a smile with the older before stepping out of the car. He hadn’t voiced out how nervous the pitch he had to give today was making him but of course, Onew knew. He practically knew him inside out.

There was a smile plastered on Key’s face all the way as his mind was filled with nothing but thoughts about his wonderfully perfect boyfriend.

- - - - -

The sky had a faint orangey pink glow when Onew arrived at Key’s building. He checked his watched and saw that he still had 15 minutes to spare so he killed the engine and got out of the car to wait for Key. He leaned against the side of the car as he typed a quick text to Key to let him know that he had already arrived.

20 minutes later, when Key walked out of the lobby, he was greeted by the sight of Onew leaning against the car, his attention totally fixed on his phone. Key rolled his eyes but playfully smiled to himself. “He’s probably playing some game again.” He thought as he quietly made his way to Onew.

When he was near enough, he reached out with his free hand—his other hand holding a bouquet of roses—and snatched the phone out of Onew’s grasp, making the older gasp audibly in shock. Key immediately hid the phone behind his back and plastered the most innocent smile on his face when Onew looked up at him.

Onew took another second to gather his wits. He blinked once more at the now empty space between his hands before registering what had happened and letting his hands drop to his side.

“Hi.” Key greeted sweetly with the same innocent smile.

Onew found himself returning the smile with a silly one of his own. “Hi yourself.”

Without any warning, Key threw himself at Onew, his arms going around Onew’s neck as he pressed his lips against Onew. Onew’s eyes widened at the sudden action but only for a moment as he found himself closing his eyes and relaxing as he responded to the kiss.

“What brought this on?” Onew asked after they had pulled apart, his eyebrows raised, his hands now resting comfortably on Key’s hips. Key wasn’t usually this affectionate in public, so this was definitely something new, although Onew didn’t dislike it. He could never dislike anything when it involved Key.

“I got the flowers and the coffee and muffins.” Key answered simply but his voice was filled with so much emotion.

“Ah~” Onew nodded in understanding. He knew that Key always got hungry after his pitches because he usually got too nervous in the morning to eat anything too filling, so he arranged for a delivery of coffee and muffins from their favourite café and also a bouquet of roses from the florist near his workplace. He knew that Key loved getting flowers even though he always complained about how embarrassing it was for him to receive them at work.

“I take it you liked them then?” Onew asked with a sweet smile, his face leaning closer to Key’s.

Key nodded. “Not so much the flowers but I liked everything else.” He added as an afterthought.

Onew chuckled. “I know you love getting flowers at work, so there’s no point denying it.” He nudged Key with his nose, as if challenging him to say otherwise.

A faint pink colour dusted across Key’s cheekbones as he made a soft whining sound and proceeded to hide his face in the crook of Onew’s neck, causing Onew to chuckle even more.

“I dislike you.” Key grumbled even as he continued nuzzling against Onew’s neck.

Onew laughed out at that. Key was being far too adorable right now. “I love you too~” He replied, planting a kiss into Key’s hair.

“Come on, let’s go home.” Onew whispered into Key’s ear.

 

 

====

Just finished this chapter and rushing to post it because it's been awhile =/ 

It's going to be 5am over here, way past my bed time!! I should probably be getting ready for bed right now...

Enjoy the update~!