Unexpected

Baby Steps

It was one of those unassumingly normal Saturdays, where Onew slept in and only woke up when the air was filled with the wonderful smell of food being cooked. He would then drag himself out of bed and into the shower before heading to the kitchen to greet Key with a kiss. The latter would always be in his apron fussing around the kitchen as he put the finishing touches on their brunch. They had been living together so long that their routines were, by now, ingrained into their bodies and perfected such that Key no longer had to try and roll Onew out of bed and Onew didn’t have to wake up to Key’s wrath.

They would usually snuggle on the couch with Comme des and Garcons and watch variety programs or go out to do the groceries after brunch but today, the both of them had things to work on so they agreed to spend the afternoon working before heading out for dinner.

Key was currently in the living room with magazine cut-outs, papers and folders spread out over the coffee table as he chattered quickly into his handphone, while Onew was in the study where he could have the quiet he needed to get his work done. He was working on a brand new song because Jonghyun had somehow managed to talk him into trying a hand at composing again.

He already had the lyrics written down, that was the easy part for him, but now he was stuck trying to figure out the melody—which chords to use, and the tempo of the song. There were just too many elements to be considered but he was on a tight dateline and had to at least have a demo ready by Monday. Onew was just about to have a mini-mental breakdown when he was startled out of his thoughts by the sound of the telephone ringing. It was their house phone and Onew momentarily forgot about the song he was working on, his face registering surprise as he wondered to himself who might be calling.

Onew stood up on the fourth ring and was about to walk towards the door to get the phone, assuming that Key was too busy to answer it, when Key called out. “I’ve got it, baby.” He smiled to himself and sat back down but strained his ear to try and pick up clues on the identity of the person who called their house number. However, after a full minute of trying but not hearing anything, he decided that it was best to get back to his work.

It wasn’t for another 5 minutes before Onew heard the sound of their cordless phone being placed back in its holder. “Who was it, babe?” He called out, knowing that he had to grab the opportunity to ask before Key called Woohyun back.

A few seconds tickled by and Onew’s brows furrowed in confusion when he was met with nothing but silence. He was just about to go check on Key when the study door was pushed open to reveal a rather pale and shaken Key.

“Babe?” Onew’s face fell and he stood up immediately, walking around his desk to go to Key and enveloping the younger in his embrace when he was close enough.

They must have stood there to a few minutes as Onew ran his hand up and down Key’s back soothingly and held him close until he felt Key relax against him.

“What happened?” He asked softly, pulling back just a little and craning his neck so that he could look at Key’s still rather pale face.

“The agency called.” Key revealed, leaning forward to pull Onew back close so that he could hide his face in the latter’s chest.

“And?” Onew prompted encouragingly while burying his nose into Key’s hair, making the word come out a little muffled but still understandable.

“It’s a boy.” Key said against Onew’s shirt, muffling his anwer as well but Onew heard it perfectly.

“Ohh…” Onew stopped his previous actions as his brows furrowed towards the middle in confusion just a second later before he continued, “What’s the matter then? Have you changed your mind about the adoption?” His voice hesitant and slightly concerned.

Key pulled back immediately, his eyes wide in panic when he finally looked into Onew’s eyes. “No no! It’s not that. I just wasn’t expecting it and I’m just shocked and happy and scared and nervous and excited all at once.” He quickly clarified before conceding, “I’m a mess.”

Onew chuckled, as he tightened his arms around Key, pulling the younger close once again, tilting his head back a little to allow Key to tuck his head just under his chin.

“I’m a mess too you know.” Onew confessed quietly. “But just knowing that I’ll be doing this with you gives me strength. You’re all that matters to me.” He continued when he heard a soft sniff coming from the younger. He raised one of his hands to softly Key’s hair but chose not to say anything else.

Key wasn’t exactly a crybaby but whenever he got too stressed or emotional, the tears would come and there was really nothing Key could do about it, except to stay in the comfort of Onew’s arms until it was over.

“How is it that you always find the sappiest things to say no matter what situation we’re in?” Key asked in mock indignation when his tears had finally stopped flowing. He always felt the safest when he was in Onew’s arms and the older’s embrace never failed to bring him comfort. He only cried in front of Onew and despite having seen him at his weakest many times over, Onew never once about it, which just made Key love him even more than he already did.

“That’s because you make me cheesy, baby.” Onew answered while grinning playfully and topped it off with a peck on Key’s slightly pink nose.

Key really should have been used to it by now, but he could not stop the faint pink colour that dusted across his cheekbones as he scrunched up his nose in response to the kiss.

Onew lifted his left hand and tilted his wrist so that he could look at the time. It was just after 3 in the afternoon. “Are you done with work, baby?” Onew asked, an idea popping into his mind.

“Not really, but it can wait till later. Why?” Key rested his cheek against Onew’s shoulder so that he could look at the older without pulling back.

“Shall we drop by our favourite café for tea and then maybe head to the mall to get some baby shopping done before dinner?” Onew suggested, craning his neck to look down at Key, deciding that it would be best to let him have a say in what they were going to do.

“What about your work?” Key asked softly.

“It can wait. I was stuck anyway, so a break might actually do some good.” Onew sheepishly admitted.

Key snickered softly before leaning up and planting a kiss on the corner of Onew’s lips. “Ok, let’s do as you say then. I’ll go get changed.”

Before Onew could even blink, Key was already out of the room and humming softly to himself, no doubt cheered up just by the idea of comfort food and shopping. Onew stood there was a few more moments before he chuckled to himself while shaking his head and went to save his work.

 

 

====

This was supposed to go up early this morning but when I scanned through it again, it sort of felt unfinished to me so I decided against updating. I thought about how to fix it for most of the day and finally added more to the ending so that it seems more complete~ 

Oh, and there might be some questions that pop into your mind after reading this chapter, you can always ask me when you comment. There will be more details about the adoption in the next chapter though ^^

Hope you're happy with this.

Note: I know some of you hope that this would be an mpreg story and I'm sorry to disappoint but as you can tell from this chapter, this story isn't going to be one. Onew was just being his dorky self in the previous chapter. Sorry again~~ >/////<