Warmth

Baby Steps

Onew shrugged off his overcoat as he toed off his shoes, raking his fingers through his hair to shake off the water droplets. It was wet outside, another one of the many typhoons that passed through Korea during summer. Out of habit, he bent down to gather his shoes and placed them back in their place on the shoerack.

The house was dark and quiet—as quiet as it could be with the muffled sound of the storm outside, but he knew his way around well enough. He padded further into the house and hung his coat over the back of one of the dining room chairs to air since it was a little damp. He emptied his pockets and set his phone and wallet down on the table before quietly making his way up the stairs.

He headed straight to the bathroom that wasn’t connected to their room since he didn’t want to wake Key up and sure enough, his towel and pajamas were folded neatly in a stack on the counter when he opened the bathroom door. Key was always doing such wonderfully considerate things, but it was the little things that made Onew smile the most.

He took a quick shower and made sure to towel dry his hair properly before heading to bed. Key had drilled into him that going to bed with wet hair was not good and even though Onew didn’t really see why, he knew that it was pointless to argue with Key on such matters.

He shivered a little when the chill of the air outside hit him as the exited the bathroom, he picked up his pace towards the bedroom and opened the door as quietly as he could before tiptoeing to their bed. Key was on his side, with his back to him, and sound asleep, if his slow quiet breaths were any indication.

He quickly slipped under the covers, slowly inching closer towards Key’s sleeping form, his hands reaching out, blindly searching for the younger’s waist so that he could pull himself against the latter. His arms wrapped tightly around Key’s waist as he moulded himself against Key’s body, Key barely stirred, only shifting a little before relaxing against Onew.

Onew tensed for a moment, thinking that he had woken the younger but relaxed once again when he felt Key relax as well. He let out a soft contented sigh as he nuzzled his face against Key’s neck, his tired eyes falling shut, his nose picking up the faint vanilla smell that he was so used to, his body welcoming the heat radiating from the younger’s body.

Onew continued nuzzling against Key’s neck until his nose met with bare skin. He smiled, pleased with his actions and planted a kiss against the skin. Key stirred a little more this time, tensing again, no doubt having felt the nuzzling and kiss.

“Sorry.” Onew whispered his apology before continuing to place small pecks against Key’s neck, clearing a path by brushing aside Key’s hair. Key’s only response was to relax again, allowing his body to sink back against Onew’s chest as he let out a soft hum.

“How was the meeting?” Key mumbled out groggily, his hands moving under the covers to find Onew’s and clasp their hands together.

Onew paused his actions for a bit to answer. “It was alright, just the usual discussions about the progress of the trainees.”

“Mm. No one waited for you and ambushed you for more one-on-one training?” Key teased but Onew’s ears picked up the slight bitter edge in his voice.

He snuggled closer to Key and kissed him behind his ear before whispering into it. “There was one, but I told him that it was better if we continued another day.”

“You did?”

“Mmhmm.” Onew hummed out a confirmation.

“Why?” Key asked softly, already more than awake now.

“Because there’s a storm.” Onew answered, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. To be fair, it was a proper reason for Onew because he knew how much Key hated falling asleep by himself when it was raining outside. It didn’t even have to be a thunderstorm (he hated that even more) but he just didn’t like the eerie sound of the wind that echoed through the house.

“Sorry I’m late.” Onew whispered against Key’s skin when the younger didn’t ask any more questions.

There was movement all of a sudden as Key suddenly rolled over and ended up facing Onew, taking the older’s face in his hands. “It’s not your fault but I’m glad you’re here now.” He said with a small smile before releasing Onew’s face and dipping his head down so that he could snuggle against Onew’s chest.

“And you should tell the trainees that you’re no longer giving extra coaching after hours. They’re stealing you from me. You’re mine.” Key said in a child-like manner, his hands Onew’s shirt as he buried his face into it.

Onew chuckled as he enveloped Key in his embrace. “You know why I can’t tell them that. All they want is to get a chance to debut, you remember that feeling right?” He said kindly.

“You’re just too nice and too perfect. Why must I be stuck with an angel for a boyfriend?” Key whined and teased at the same time.

Onew laughed again, the vibrations of his laughter reverberating through Key, making him smile at his dorky boyfriend. “I’m not; I just have a tiny soft spot for them but you shouldn’t be jealous though because I’ll always be yours and you’ll always be my number one priority.” Onew said as sweetly as he could, tightening his embrace just a little.

Key huffed a little at the cheesiness of the statement but chose not to say anything because he was secretly happy and melting on the inside.

“Did you have a good day then?” Onew asked, now that Key was done with his questioning.

“Yeah, I’m still working on that huge project. I asked Woohyun to be my assistant though, since I trust him the most at work.” Key informed the older.

Onew’s immediate reaction was to pout. “Does that mean you’ll have to spend even more time with him?”

Key tilted his head back just enough so that he could look up at Onew. “He’s my best friend, baby, and he knows about us. You really have nothing to worry or be jealous about.” He reassured patiently. He knew that Onew trusted him but he just somehow didn’t really trust Woohyun that much.

Onew looked down and pouted even more, and Key did the only thing he could do to when Onew was like this, which was to kiss him, several times, until the older wore a silly smile on his face. He pecked Onew on the lips one last time before returning to his previous position, snuggling into Onew’s chest and draping an arm over his waist.

Onew shifted slightly and pulled Key even closer, allowing the younger to slide a leg between his. This was the way things should be, everything felt so warm and familiar, as the both of them slowly drifted to sleep, each lulled by the soothing sounds of each other’s breaths and heartbeats. 

 

 

====

Another update! ^^

I'm just having so much fun writing these stories~

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do! :D