Vacation

Baby Steps

Onew was humming a random song while pouring milk into the pancake mix that he was stirring. It was a little after 9 in the morning on a Monday but neither he nor Key had to go to work so Key was still sleeping.

It was summer and they were having a little vacation of their own. Onew had found the ideal beach house that they could rent purely by accident while he was looking for places to stay in Hawaii. Key had been dropping hints about going away on a vacation ever since he had successfully finished his big project and since Onew wanted to get away from work as well, he suggested a summer vacation.

Key had initially wanted to go somewhere to where he could do lots of shopping and soak up the fashion scene but he gave in after Onew reasoned that the both of them needed a break from all the stress and work so a relaxing vacation spot would be much better.

Onew added the roughly diced strawberries into the pancake batter and mixed them all together. He was going to serve Key breakfast in bed just because it had been ages since he last did that for the younger. He took a look out the window as a light breeze came in through the window. It was a perfect day to spend at the beach.

Onew plated the steaming pancakes, placed 2 small squares of butter on the side of the plate and placed a small jug of maple syrup in the tray together with a cup of freshly brewed coffee before carefully lifting the tray off the counter and heading to the bedroom.

Key was still sound asleep when Onew set down the breakfast tray on the bedside table so he laid down beside Key as gently as he could, choosing to lie on top of the covers as he supported his head up by propping his elbow on the bed. He stayed like that for a few moments, happy just to admire Key’s sleeping face. The soft glow of the morning light that filtered in through the curtains only succeeding in making Key’s skin look even softer and more flawless than it already was. Onew really couldn’t help himself when he reached out to brush the back of his knuckles against Key’s cheekbones.

Key scrunched up his sleeping features and shifted a little as he stirred from his sleep. He cracked open his eyes for a moment before the brightness of the morning caused him to shut his eyes again and bury his face into the crook of his elbow with a groan. Onew knew that Key saw him though because of the smile that appeared on the younger’s face even though he only saw it for a split second.

“So adorable all the time.” He said softly while poking the side of Key’s cheek that wasn’t blocked by his arm.

Key tilted his head a little and took a tiny peek at Onew, still hiding most of his face in the crook of his elbow but Onew could tell that he was blushing. “Why are you up before me?” He asked groggily, he had set his alarm for 9am and normally, Onew wouldn’t even hear the alarm when it went off, leaving Key to have to drag him out of bed.

“Because I wanted to make you breakfast and I did! Are you awake enough to eat it already?” Onew answered as he looped his arm over Key’s covered form so that he could pull himself towards Key.

“Mmm… is that pancakes that I smell?” Key asked, his face now fully turned to the side and resting on his arm as he took sniffs of the air.

“Of course it is!” Onew replied with a smile as he leaned in and placed a light peck on Key’s nose. “Good morning, sleepyhead.” He added with a short laugh when Key crinkled his nose.

“Good morning.” Key greeted back, tilting his head a little more to the side and up a little, as if waiting for something. Onew smiled, knowing what Key was waiting for so he leaned back in and closed the gap between their faces, leaving a peck on Key’s lips.

“Ok, breakfast time.” Onew announced happily as he rolled out of bed and went to collect the tray from where he had left it.

Key buried his face into his pillow as he brought his knees up under his body as if he was prostrating himself under the covers. He let out a sleepy groan of protest before he flipped himself over and plopped down onto the bed, sitting there and watching Onew bring his breakfast over to him.

“Could you hold the tray just for a second?” Onew requested as he handed the tray over to Key, who took it with both hands. Onew reached below the tray and carefully extended the “legs” so that the tray could stand on the bed before lifting the tray off Key’s hands and setting it down over his lap.

Onew remained silent as he watched Key spread butter and poured maple syrup all over the pancakes before cutting a portion and putting it in his mouth.

“Mmmm!” Key hummed in approval, flashing Onew a quick smile of satisfaction—the one where his eyes would almost disappear, before quickly returning his attention back to his food. It was too adorable him when he was like this, especially with his cheeks being slightly stuffed with food. He sat down at the foot of the bed, contented with just watching Key enjoy the breakfast that he made.

“What shall we do today?” Key asked when he had finished all the pancakes and was sipping on his coffee.

“Hmm, I was thinking that we could spend the day at the beach since the weather is perfect today.” Onew suggested.

 

- - - -

 

They had ended up spending a really enjoyable day at the beach where Key went water-skiing while Onew watched on from the shore and then relaxed under the umbrella with a magazine while Onew went for a swim to cool off. They also managed to find this little beach restaurant where they had a delicious lunch by the beach. The day really could not have been more perfect and Onew was feeling rather proud of himself for planning everything.

However, as the day wore on, it became more and more apparent to Onew that something was up with Key, especially when he caught the younger spacing out while cutting the vegetables- that they had picked up from the store on the way back from the beach, and not noticing Onew’s presence in the kitchen until he wrapped an arm around Key’s waist. His other hand moving in that same instant to remove the knife from Key’s grasp before joining his other arm around Key’s waist.

His action gave Key a start as he drew in a sharp breath in a silent gasp, his entire body going rigid from the shock but relaxing when he finally registered what had happened.

“Sorry.” Key breathed out an apology, staring down at the half-cut vegetables.

“Hmm? What for?” Onew murmured, nuzzling into the side of Key’s neck to soothe him.

“……Nothing.” Key hummed in response after a moment of hesitation.

Onew paused his actions, his eye brows going up as he looked questioningly at Key as he picked up the knife again and resumed cutting the vegetables. He knew that Key could see him from the corner of his eyes and that the younger was just choosing to ignore him right now. “Are you sure? What’s going on, babe?”

“It’s nothing. I’m fine. Really.” Key almost sighed out his answer this time and Onew knew better than to leave things as they were.

Onew sighed a little in his head as he placed a hand over Key’s to still his hand and plucked the knife from his grasp again before setting it down and then turning Key around by his hips. He took a step forward, moving into Key’s personal space, his feet spread apart on either side of Key’s feet and his clasped hands resting on the small of Key’s back to prevent him from trying to move away.

Key had his head slightly bowed, keeping his eyes on Onew’s chest until Onew peered down to catch his gaze. “Kibum. Baby. Please talk to me.” Onew said as sincerely as he could while looking into Key’s eyes.

Key broke the eye contact and pouted a little. He always found it incredibly hard to deny any of Onew’s requests when they were extremely reasonable and especially so when his real name was used. “Why don’t you ever just let me mope around for a bit?” He whined.

Onew couldn’t help but chuckle at how adorable Key was behaving before planting a light peck on Key’s nose. “Because I don’t like seeing you troubled. When you’re thinking about something so deeply that you space out, it makes me feel like I’m not doing enough to make you happy.” Onew pouted in return.

Key’s features immediately softened and a look of worry washed over his face before he realized what was happening and proceeded to land a playful smack on Onew’s chest. “I know what you’re doing. You’re trying to guilt me into telling you what’s on my mind right?” He narrowed his eyes accusingly at Onew.

“Is it working?” Onew grinned, not bothering with trying to deny it since it was completely true.

“Maybe?” Key answered, his voice lacking any resolve though and Onew knew that Key was already caving in.

“Please?” Onew pushed his pout out even more, knowing that he just had to keep up his act for a little bit more.

Key looked at  Onew for a few more moments before he threw his hands up in resignation. “Oh alright. I’ll tell you. Now please stop pouting before I kiss you.”

“I won’t complain if you do.” Onew grinned widely at Key, his eyes turning into crescents as Key shook his head slightly in mock disbelief.

“So what is it?” Onew asked when Key didn’t say anything.

Key struggled internally for a bit before covering his face with his hands. “God. This is going to be so embarrassing. I swear, you’re just going to laugh at me when I tell you.” He groaned.

“No, I won’t. I promise I won’t laugh, no matter what it is.” Onew promised, trying to keep his voice as serious as he could without smiling because Key being flustered was just too cute to witness.

“Okay….” He said apprehensively, his eyes kept flicking towards Onew to make sure that he wasn’t smiling or laughing before continuing. “You know how there were so many families at the beach today?”

“Yup, what about them?” Onew nodded and asked, taking care to keep his expression in check.

“It's just that I got a chance to watch the family beside us while you were taking a swim and it got me thinking.” Key explained before pausing again.

“Oh? About?” Onew prompted encouragingly, trying to coax it out of Key.

“A-about us…." Onew's eye brows went up at that, momentarily worried about what was going to come next. “….about us starting a family of our own.” Key finally revealed after steeling himself but he still refused to meet Onew’s eyes.

Onew couldn’t control the silly and goofy smile that appeared on his face. “So you’ve been thinking about this since then? Like seriously thinking?” Onew quizzed, a happy grin on his lips.

Key nodded shyly, unable to meet Onew’s eyes. They had always talked having kids when they discussed about their future but it was always just a touch-and-go thing, something that was just mentioned in passing without much thought but now, it had a whole new meaning and Onew couldn’t be happier. Onew tried his best to keep his emotions contained but you could see the excitement and happiness dancing in his eyes and Key wasn’t looking into them. His head was slightly bowed as he fiddled nervously with his fingers.  

“Say something, please?” Key whispered shyly when moments passed and Onew still hadn’t said anything, his body fidgeting anxiously whilst still in Onew’s arms.

“You’re really cute when you’re shy.” Onew beamed, the happiness clear in his voice and it made Key finally look back up into Onew’s teasing eyes.

All the nervousness and tension that was coursing through Key instantly disappeared and he found himself powerless to the smile that spread across his face. Onew’s smile was always so infectious. “Yah! Is that all you have to say?!” He scolded, trying but failing to sound upset, especially so with a hint of a smile still on his face.

Onew’s eyes softened when he held Key’s gaze again, he unclasped his hands from behind Key and brought one up to cup the side of Key’s face, his thumb gently brushing across the younger’s cheekbone. He continued staring into Key’s eyes for a few more moments as he watched Key’s gaze turn into a questioning one. He leaned down and stole a quick kiss before pulling away just slightly and saying, “You know I love you, right?”

“Of course.” Key replied, “And I love you too, but-“

Onew silenced Key with another quick peck. “Would you mind if dinner was delayed a little?”

Key cocked his head to the side, confused at the sudden change in topic. “Umm, no?” He answered, still wondering where this was headed.

A mischievous grin appeared on Onew’s face. “Shall we work on that baby right now?”

Key’s eyes widened in surprise at Onew’s words but before he could even give him an answer, he was lifted up suddenly, his arms and legs automatically wrapping themselves around Onew for support as the older walked the both of them away from the counter.

“Jinki, no! Put me down!” Key protested as Onew started taking big strides towards the bedroom. Onew paid no heed to Key because he knew that if Key really didn’t want this, he could quite easily get out of his hold.

 

- - - -

 

“I think we should have a boy first. Girls seem so fragile.” Key said as he laid his head on Onew’s chest. “Do you have a preference?”

Onew hummed for a moment before he placed a kiss into Key’s hair. “As long as it’s with you, I don’t mind either.” He whispered his answer.

Key breathed out a smile and he was glad that he wasn’t facing Onew. They stayed like that in silence for a few more moments before Key suddenly got up and slipped off the bed, bending down to retrieve his briefs off the floor and slipping them on quickly before lightly slapping Onew’s legs.

“Put on some clothes, you’re helping me with dinner since you’re the cause of the delay.” He ordered as he pulled on his cut-off denim shorts.

“Come on!” He picked Onew’s briefs off the floor as he headed towards their bedroom door and threw it at the older, who was now sitting up and regarding him with an amused expression, before heading out the door.

Onew continued sitting there with the sheets pooled around his waist and a silly smile on his face until his thoughts were interrupted. “30 seconds!” Key shouted, causing Onew to scramble off the bed immediately.

 

 

====

Sorry for the unannounced disappearance! Had to take a break from writing because of something and after that I sort of lost my motivation to write this chapter which is why it took so long to get completed. 

Anyway, I finally got down to completing it today and it's 6am =.= I always get the most writing done in the middle of the night. My eyes are like a panda's now so I better turn in~ 

I'm pretty sure there are tons of errors in this so I'll re-read it and correct them when I wake later! In the mean time, I hope you enjoy the update, errors and all! ^^

One last thing, thank you to everyone who has subscribed so far!! Love you all! And also all my silent readers too ^__^