A Place of Our Own

Baby Steps

 

There was so much tension in his body as he stood there, out on the veranda on the 2nd floor, looking out at the view but not really seeing at all. His bottom lip was bright red and beginning to sting from the all too recent abuse by his teeth. Key could make out the faint sound of the front door shutting and feet shuffling but he didn’t feel the need to move from his spot.

It was only just the beginning of Spring so even though it was midday, with the sun shining brightly in the cloudless sky overhead, it was still too cold to be standing out on the veranda for too long. Especially if you only had a thin cardigan on like Key had, but the cold seemed to be the last thing on Key’s mind at the moment.

“Baby?” A voice called out.

“Up here.” Key turned his head back slightly and answered over his shoulder. His response felt so natural that it should have scared him, but it didn’t. Not anymore, anyway.

More shuffling was heard before Key felt familiar arms wind around his waist and pull him against a warm chest. He relaxed into the hold almost instantly, welcoming the warmth radiating from the other and enjoying the warm press of lips against his neck.

“Did you get everything from the car?” Key asked as he laid his head back against the shoulder behind him. His hands coming up to rest over the arms that were around his waist.

“Yes, I did… but is everything alright, babe?” Onew craned his neck slightly to look at Key’s face. His voice quiet because their surroundings seemed too serene for anything louder than that but Key could hear the concern in his voice.

“Hmm. It’s nothing.” Key answered quite simply and seemed to not want to talk about it but Onew knew better, so he just chose to remain silent and be patient while Key gathered his thoughts.

It was a good minute or so before he finally spoke again. “I just feel a little odd. I mean I’ve always known that we’d eventually have to move out and live separately but it still feels… strange now that it’s actually happened. Strange and different.”

Onew hummed in agreement. He didn’t really need to say anything for Key to know that he understood exactly what he meant. Instead, it turned his head and nuzzled his nose affectionately against Key’s cheek before giving him a quick peck. “I love you.” He said before tightening his arms ever so slightly, pressing Key even closer against him and resting his chin on the younger’s shoulder.

Any remaining tension in Key’s body just dissipated after that as he melted completely against the other. Only Onew was capable of doing such things to him, of turning him into a puddle of goo even when he wasn’t in the best moods, of making his heart flutter which does silly things to him like make him blush or make him stutter, and even though Key would never admit it, the older has only ever gotten better at doing so over the years.

He tapped the arms around him lightly and wriggled around in Onew’s hold when he felt the older’s arms hold around him loosen. He wrapped his arms around Onew’s neck and nuzzled his face into the crook between Onew’s chest and neck. “I love you too.” He whispered, lips just barely brushing against Onew’s neck, his warm breath ghosting over Onew’s skin and making the older shudder a little in response.

Onew’s clasped hands came to rest on the small of Key’s back as they continued to stand there for a few more moments. Key thoroughly enjoying the warmth of being in Onew’s embrace as he let out a contented hum and attempted to bury his face further into the crook of Onew’s neck. Onew tilted his head back just a little to allow the action by the younger, opting instead to rub soothing circles into Key’s back.

“Shall we head back in?” Onew asked when Key had finally stilled and was just leaning against his chest.

“Mmm.” Key nodded, his head rubbing against Onew’s neck. “I don’t feel like unpacking though.” Onew could hear the pout in Key’s voice even though he couldn’t see Key’s face.

“Yeah?  What do you feel like doing then?” Onew asked accommodatingly, knowing that Key wasn’t the type to delay unpacking on purpose.

“I’m sleepy. I feel like taking a nap.” Key whined cutely, causing a smile to form on Onew’s face.

“Alright, let’s get you to bed then.” Onew cooed, unwrapping Key’s arms from around his neck before taking a hold of his hand and leading him back into the house.

“Nap with me?” Key asked after he had crawled under the sheets that Onew had held up for him and then pulled it up to his chin as the older tucked him in.

“I’m not tired but I’ll lie with you.” Onew nodded with a smile before making his way to the other side of the bed and sliding in himself.

Key immediately rolled onto his side and slid closer to Onew, snuggling into his side until Onew lifted his arm and allowed Key to move even closer, resting his head on Onew’s chest instead of the pillow.

“Wake me up in a few hours so I can prepare dinner, ok?” Key added, shifting a little to try and get more comfortable.

“You sure? We can always just order in if you’re tired.” Onew suggested while slowly combing his fingers through Key’s hair because he knew that the younger really enjoyed it when he did that.

“Mmhmm. It’s our first night in our home, I want to make you dinner.” Key answered determinedly although his voice was already heavy with sleep.

“Always so perfect.” Onew tried to keep his voice level and seem unaffected but in reality, he had the happiest smile on his face.

“Am not.” Key protested but there really wasn’t any fight in his voice and Onew could tell that he was smiling as well. “But I love you too. Now shush, I want to take a nap.” Key said, slapping Onew lightly on his chest.

Onew just breathed out a quiet laugh and gathered Key in his arms before pressing a kiss to Key’s temple. Key would always be perfect in his eyes. 

 

====

This took a while but finally the first chapter is up.

Enjoy ^__^