Party (Adventure Part III)

Baby Steps

“Babe, are you sure about this? You know that you don’t have to come with me right?” Key couldn’t help but ask for what must have been the fiftieth time.

“I know that I don’t have to, baby but I want to. I think it’s about time I met your colleagues anyway.” Onew reassured.

“You know that I’d love to introduce you to everyone but you hate parties and crowds and we’re going to a party where there’s going to be a lot of people.” Key emphasized, trying to talk his boyfriend out of the idea even as he stood in front of the older boy and straightened his outfit.

Onew quirked his eyebrow, “Do you not want me to be at the party with you?”

“That’s not what I mean.” Key sighed. “I just don’t want you to end up having to suffer the whole night just because of a dumb party.”

Onew’s eyebrow shot up even more. “Since when are parties dumb? Babe, I know you love parties and everything that goes with it!”

“I know but if you’re not having as much as fun as I am, I’m still going to thinking that the party is dumb.” Key pouted.

“You don’t have to worry about me. I’m a big boy now.” Onew added cheekily with a grin as he leaned forward and placed a light peck on Key’s nose. “But do you really think it’s a good idea for us to be bringing Jaesung along?” He cast a sideways glance at Jaesung who was sitting on their bed and playing with a fluffy bunny plush that was almost twice his size. “We could always just drop him off with Jonghyun, you know?”

He chuckled, knowing that Jonghyun would probably go into full-panic mode if he was left alone with Jaesung even though he did adore babies. “Nah, Jaesungie handles crowds pretty well so I think it’ll be fine as long as his sleep schedule isn’t interrupted.” Key stated as he combed his fingers through Jaesung’s hair affectionately.

“Come on, let’s get going since we won’t be staying long.” Key commented, picking Jaesung up and heading out of the room before Onew could even reach down to pick the stuffed bunny off the bed. He knew Jaesung would start to miss the fluffy toy really soon so he took the bunny along with him as he left the room.

 

Onew had known, from his idol days, what parties were like so he had full confidence in the fact that he knew exactly what he was getting himself into when he insisted on accompanying Key to the New Year’s party that his company had organized. But right now, seventy odd minutes after arriving at the party, Onew wasn’t so sure he knew what to expect anymore.

They had spent the first 40 minutes or so mingling and greeting the other guests and Onew managed to handle everything without saying anything too goofy. He really didn’t want end up saying anything that might embarrass Key because these were they people that he worked or might work with.

Key, on the other hand, had expected that Onew would need quite a bit of “saving” when it came to interacting with the guests at the party but was really quite impressed when his boyfriend proved that he could actually hold his own when it came down to it, even managing to earn quite a few compliments from the guests, particularly the ladies, for being so charming even though he was clearly taken—seeing how he was the one Jaesung was clinging to.

Key couldn’t even pretend to be jealous though because he had to agree that Onew never looked more charming and perfect than he did right now, when the older boy was trying his best to help him leave a good impression. He leaned in close to Onew after the last of the VIPs that they had to greet had left.

“You look so unbelievably handsome right now that I really want to kiss you.” He whispered directly into Onew’s ear and felt pleased with himself when a shudder ran down the older boy’s spine.

Onew looked around hastily out of habit even though Key had told him plenty of times that no one would bat an eyelash at their relationship status here. Upon seeing that no one was looking their way, he gave Key a smirk. “What’s stopping you?”

Key returned the smirk with a playful one of his own before leaning in to claim his prize but before his lips could even touch Onew’s, Woohyun’s panicked yet relieved voice interrupted their private time together.

“Oh my god, Key! I’m so glad that I finally found you!!”

Key groaned a little before pulling away and turning his head towards Woohyun, not missing the small smile that was playing on Onew’s lips and the teasing glint in his eyes.

“And now that you’ve found me?” Key wondered out loud while trying not to glare at his best friend especially since he looked far too pleased to have interrupted them.

“The Richmonds have been asking for you since they arrived an hour ago. They’re really interested in the latest line that you’ve designed!” Woohyun revealed somewhat animatedly.

“Isn’t there supposed to be a no work policy at this party?” Key huffed, clearly not pleased that his moment with Onew was interrupted, even if they were only teasing each other.

“Yes Key, but you know as well as I do that the line becomes blurred when it comes to clients like them.” Woohyun explained patiently, clearly somewhat used to having to deal with Key’s attitude.

Key rolled his eyes at his best friend but knew that Woohyun was right so he opted instead to pout at Onew, hoping that his boyfriend would speak up for him. Onew knew Key better than that though, he knew that Key would regret it if he didn’t go and meet with his potential clients, so he chose to make the decision for Key.

“Just go do your thing, babe. We can always continue this later.” He reasoned while placing a soft peck on the younger’s nose, the teasing edge in his voice only just barely there as he knew how important this was for Key.

Key pouted even more and took one more glance at the elder before yanking him closer by his tie and leaving a quick peck on his lips before walking away with Woohyun. “Laters baby~” He called back just a moment later as Onew could only look on at his boyfriend’s retreating figure.

Onew carefully adjusted a sleepy Jaesung, who was already falling asleep on Onew’s shoulder, completely oblivious to all the happenings around him. “Looks like it’s just you and me for now, baby boy. Daddy’s off being serious without us.” Onew whispered with a hint of a pout. Despite what he had said to Kibum, he really didn’t fare too well at parties and always did prefer to be surrounded by people he already knew and considering the fact that the only two people he knew had just left him moments ago, he was already feeling slightly awkward by himself.

He made his way to the bar, taking care not to bump into any of the guests and also not to startle Jaesung awake. This really wouldn’t be the place to have to deal with a bawling baby. He took a seat at one of the bar stools and cradled Jaesung against his chest, looking down and taking a moment just to admire how long his eye lashes were. He could never get enough of watching Jaesung sleep.

“Would you like something to drink, sir?” A voice suddenly interrupted Onew’s little moment. He shouldn’t have been surprised but he was sure that it was written all over his face as his head snapped up and saw the bartender waiting patiently with a questioning look.

“Oh, umm, can I just get some water?” He blurted out the first thing that came to his mind, before realizing belatedly how ridiculous that sounded. It was a given that he couldn’t have alcohol because he had to drive later but he could have asked for so many other things besides water.

Thankfully, the bartender handled the situation professionally, seemingly having dealt with many others like him before. “Of course, sir. Would that be mineral or sparkling for you?”

“Mineral please, thank you.” Onew answered, feeling a little better about his request.

Just when he had let out a breath of relief after the bartender had walked off to the side to get his drink, was he greeted by yet another difficult situation. “You’re Onew, Key’s husband, aren’t you?” He heard a female voice ask from behind him.

He turned his head and looked behind him, only to find himself facing not one, but four women, who seemed to be appraising him in some manner. He groaned mentally; this was going to be a long long night.

“We’re not married yet, but yes, that’s me. May I help you?” He nodded with a smile plastered to his face.

 

 

The women turned out to be Key’s colleagues that worked closely with him and were curious about him because apparently Key couldn’t stop talking about him even at work. They were also very keen to meet the person who was always randomly sending Key flowers at work and who had the ability to make Key blush over the phone.

He was currently engaged in a rather heated discussion about the quirks and habits of Key when he is under a lot of stress when he was interrupted, this time by a very familiar voice.

“So… this is how it is huh. You flirt with my colleagues while I’m off discussing boring work stuff with potential clients.” He huffed in mock indignation, cocking his hip to one side and placing a hand on it.

Onew took a quick glance towards his boyfriend to make sure that he wasn’t reading the situation wrongly before excusing himself. “Pardon me, ladies.” He inclined his head in a small bow before getting off the bar stool and walking towards the younger.

He paused for a second before reaching Key and carefully handed over Jaesung to Woohyun before taking the last few steps towards Key and bent him back in a dramatic kiss as Key clung to him to keep his balance.

Onew’s grand gesture didn’t go unnoticed as they drew applause and even some cheers and teasing whistles from the guests around them. When the kiss finally ended, Onew righted Key with a cheeky smile before taking a step back and giving the guests a playful theatrical bow, prompting Key to smack him lightly on the arm, an obvious blush dusted across his cheeks.

 

 

====

Hello everyone!! It's been the longest time ever!

I do apologize for dropping off the face of AFF without leaving all of you an explanation but I wasn't sure where I should put an announcement. I've been really busy with university because I'm doing a masters degree right now and my free time is practically non-existent. I've taken part of my sleep hours to piece together this update so I hope you will enjoy it.

I cannot promise that I will update soon or when an update will happen but I won't abandon this story, so don't worry! I will definitely finish it :)

Until the next update guys~

 

PS: To those that left suggestions in the prompts, THANK YOU so much! I've read all the prompts and they've left me smiling so much. I've been thinking about doing some one-shots or drabbles that aren't related to this story since they are much easier to write and I do have some that aren't posted and just sitting on my laptop. So do let me know if you're interested in reading one-shots or drabbles ^^