Luck and Fate

Confessions of a Runaway Bride

After I was done with unpacking, I came out of my room to find Siwon sitting on the couch watching television. He suggested that we have dinner at a nearby mall and I agreed. We got our tummies filled with delicious Japanese sushi and noodles. During dinner, we talked a bit about ourselves.

“So what do you like to do in your free time?” I asked casually but in genuine curiosity. I was going to live with this guy for a period of time and it would be nice if we got to know each other better.

“I’m usually in the bakery or at the gym. I’m a pretty boring guy,” Siwon replied. “What about you? You never really tell us much about yourself before you arrived in Seoul.”

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. “I love fashion and movies. Basically, I’m just your typical American girl.”

He kind of took the hint that I wasn’t really keen to talk about myself and changed the topic to baking. We had a pleasant conversation and I actually found him interesting to talk to, despite his quiet demeanor.

We were about to foot the bill when out of the blue, two people in animal costumes jumped out around us.

“Congratulations! You are our 100,000th customers and with that you have won yourself a trip for two to Tokyo!” A manager of the restaurant announced before blowing loudly on a whistle.

Siwon and I were taken aback.

“Guess we’re really lucky together,” he commented as a big smile appeared on his face. I can’t take my eyes off him when that happens, those dimples are so irresistible.

They presented us with the travel vouchers and we were asked to take a photograph with the animal mascots as part of their promotion. Out of the blue, Siwon put his arm around my shoulder and I turned to look at the side of his face.

“Look at the camera please!” The photographer instructed. I snapped out of my daydream and looked at the camera as the bright flash blinded my sight.

----------------------------------------

The next morning at the café, we told Sooyoung about the trip we won and she got so excited for us.

“Wow, I’m so envious of you two!” She exclaimed as she looked at our travel vouchers. “You’ve got business class air tickets and a stay at luxurious hotel! It can’t get any better than this!”

“Why don’t you two go instead?” I suggested.

Sooyoung looked at me and shook her head vigorously, before pulling me in to whisper into my ear. “You should go instead. Who knows what may happen between you two when you’re all alone?”

“What are you talking about, Choi Sooyoung?” I froze when I heard what she suggested. “You’re thinking too much.”

“I’m sure Siwon would rather go with you, wouldn’t he?” Sooyoung directed the question to Siwon, who gulped nervously before replying.

“I… I’m fine with anything. You girls can decide.”

Siwon was back in the kitchen the whole morning to repeatedly churn out our famous bread and pastry. Business was exceptionally good today for some reason. Sooyoung and I were terribly busy that I started to feel my head spin after two hours of working continuously.

Finally the crowd was gone and I took a seat while clearing an empty table.

“Miss? Could I talk to you for a moment?”

I looked up and the owner of the voice turned out to be the tall, young mysterious man in the suit that wouldn’t stop looking at me the last time he was here.

I was taken aback but gestured to him to take a seat.

“I’m Mr. Jung Yunho.” He reached into his card case and took out his name card. “I’m a lawyer.”

I held up his card and took a look at it.

“What are you here for?” I asked calmly, trying to hide my surprise at a lawyer’s sudden appearance.

“I’ve been instructed by my client to follow you since the day you arrived in Seoul. My client would like to meet you in person.”

My eyes shot wide open. “What? Is this some kind of prank?”

“No, it’s not. It’s my pleasure to meet you Miss Choi Anna, otherwise known as Miss Kwon Yuri.”

My heart skipped a beat when I heard him call me by my real name. I guessed I had no choice but to follow him. I told Sooyoung I had an emergency and would be back by dinner time, before hastily leaving with Mr. Jung.

---------------------------------------

We arrived at the Choi Corporation building located in the central of Gangnam business district. I was hesitant as I stepped in through the giant glass door, heavily guarded by numerous security guards. The Choi Corporation is one of the most powerful companies in South Korea with businesses in many different industries. I walked behind Mr. Jung who was greeted by everyone who passed him by. As we rode in the elevator up to the top floor, I tugged nervously at my white shirt and swept my hair behind my ears.

“Don’t worry, Miss Choi. You’re a naturally beautiful girl.”

It was a compliment but he said it so monotonously I didn’t think he actually meant it.

The elevator stopped and the door opened to reveal a gigantic office with a large table located in the middle.

“Mr. Choi, I have brought Miss Choi as you have instructed.”

“You may take your leave, Mr. Jung,” said a deep voice which sounded like it belonged to a young man.

The owner of the voice spun around from his chair and faced me.

“Miss Choi, we meet again.”

It was him. The man I sat next to on the plane on the way to Seoul. This was the man who comforted me as I was sobbing while I looked at my only baby photograph taken with my Dad. I told him who I was and what I was in Seoul for. I thought we were strangers, never to cross paths again so I let my guard down and was completely honest with him.

“What do you want, Mr. Choi? Minho, if I remember your name correctly.”

He pointed to the chair in front of his table. “Relax, take a seat and we’ll talk.”

I sat down as he had suggested and kept my eyes on him, eager to find out what was going on.

“Do you still have the photograph of you and your Dad?”

I rummaged into my bag and pulled it out from a hidden compartment. “Yes, I carry it everywhere with me.”

Minho picked up a photo frame from his table and handed it to me. It was a photograph of him at his graduation ceremony with his Mom and Dad. Wait, his Dad looked kind of like my Dad. I compared the photographs side by side and gasped when I realized they were the same person. Except that the man in his photograph looked more aged and had white hair.

“I believe you’re my half-sister, my Noona.” Minho took a deep breath and then exhaled. “It’s fate that we should meet again.”

I couldn’t even look up at Minho. Tears started falling from my eyes as I grasped onto my photograph and his photo frame. My wish had finally come true. I had found my Dad. Despite the millions of people in South Korea, it was fate that I should sit next to my half-brother on the flight here and shares everything with him. I silently thanked God in my heart for fulfilling my wish of many years.

“Noona. I’m sorry I took so long to tell you this. I was worried that you were only after Dad’s fortune but after enlisting Mr. Jung’s service, he has assured me that you are a simple, innocent person with no ill intentions.”

I shook my head. “That never crossed my mind. I didn’t even know that Dad was rich. I have heard of the Choi Corporation but I know nothing about its founder.”

“Noona, there’s another reason why I’m telling you this now. Dad is in a critical condition.”

---------------------------------------

I couldn’t believe that my reunion with my Dad was going to be in a hospital. I watched through the glass as he laid weakly on the hospital bed in critical condition.

“He had a heart attack two days ago. The doctor says he’ll probably be gone by tomorrow. That was why I had you urgently summoned to my office. I have to let you see him for the last time.”

“I’m not even sure if he knows of my existence.”

Minho placed his arm around my shoulder. “He does. He told me I had a sister from his previous marriage before he met my Mom. He called your name last night while half-asleep.”

I entered the room dressed in a hospital gown and sat by my Dad’s bedside.

“Dad…” I called out in soft, low voice. He seemed to have heard me and his eyelids slowly lifted up to reveal his lifeless eyes.

“Anna? Anna, is that really you?” He asked as he tried to reach out for my hand. I instantly held on to his hand tightly.

“Dad, it’s me. I came to Seoul to look for you. Thanks to Minho, we are reunited. Dad, I miss you so much. I never ever got to tell you I love you as well.”

I broke down into tears again as I saw tears trickle down my Dad’s cheeks.

“It’s ok, Anna. I broke your Mom’s heart and I never blamed her for leaving me. It was my fault. I was a bad husband. I had an affair with Minho’s Mom and left your Mom for her because I wanted to be rich. I’m sorry, please forgive me.”

It pained my heart to hear what an atrocity my Dad had committed in his younger days to hurt my Mom and me. No wonder she hated him so much when I mentioned him. But looking at this weak, dying man begging for my forgiveness, there was no way I could remain stonehearted and deny him forgiveness.

“It’s all over now, Dad. We’ve been fine for the past few years. Mom made a fortune in America; she’s a really smart woman. We lead a comfortable life now.”

“Please tell your Mom I’m sorry. I wish I could tell her that in person but I know it’s going to be too late.”

The machine he was connected to start to beep as Minho and his Mom rushed into the room. My Dad passed away while holding on to my hand and Minho’s in his other.

---------------------------------------

Another update! Now that Anna/Yuri has found her Dad, this subplot for the fanfiction is over. What is going to happen next? ^_^