Damsel in Distress

Confessions of a Runaway Bride

 

I leaned on the wall and watched silently as Siwon was intensely engrossed in making his macarons. His eyebrows were furrowed as he focused on sifting powdered sugar and almond flour into a large bowl. I offered some help but he told me to run the café till closing time, even without Sooyoung’s presence. Well, I guess he was right to suggest that. We wouldn’t want to upset any loyal customers who made their way here, only to find us closed.

Night fell. I cleaned up the last table, swept the floor, cleared the thrash and closed the main entrance to the café. Making my way to the kitchen, I could smell the fragrance of macarons baking in the oven. Siwon already had boxes of them prepared but he didn’t look like he was anywhere near ten thousand.

“Maybe you could use some help.” I suggested as I stepped beside him while he was whipping egg white.

A little smirk appeared on his face. “I was told someone wasn’t too gifted with making macarons. But it’s tough work so I understand.”

“Well I’m sure there’s something I can help you with…”

I felt bad watching this guy work non-stop on these little pastries. He looked exhausted, with sweat trickling down his sideburns.

“I’m hungry. Could you grab me some dinner from the store across the street?”

I did just that and returned with two bowls of piping hot noodles. I watched as he hungrily gobbled the noodles. Poor thing, he hadn’t eaten anything since the morning.

“It’s kind of late. I’m surprised that Sooyoung still isn’t back.” I commented randomly because the silence in the room was killing me.

Siwon put his chopsticks on the table and shook his head with a cryptic smile on his face.

“I’m guessing her boyfriend is back in town so she’s with him now.”

“Oh? He’s a foreigner?” I asked in a curious manner.

“He’s a pilot. Well I’m not too fond of him so Sooyoung doesn’t tell me when she meets him. I’m a little over protective, she says.”

Siwon sounded a little hurt when he said that. All I could say was “Oh.”

“I bet you don’t know this yet. She’s not my biological sister.”

Wow, that was kind of shocking. They seem so close and bore a pretty close resemblance to one another.

“We’re from an orphanage. That lonely aunt she told you about, she was the one who helped brought us up. We’re really close to her.”

That was so tragic. I didn’t really know what to say. I know it must be painful to grow up without parents. At least I had my Mum even though she can be quite a pain at times.

“So… what happened to your parents?”

Siwon avoided my eyes and looked down on the floor with a grave expression.

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t be so nosy. I’m really sorry for asking.”

Thankfully, he didn’t get mad at me and offered to send me home since it was already so late. But I rejected his kind offer since I live just right across the road. He reluctantly let me go back alone after my repeated rejections.

It was already past midnight by now. This was the first time I was all alone on the streets at this hour. The usually busy street was now almost pitched dark except for the occasional street lamps ignited. There was not a single car passing by. I felt the chills from the wind and rubbed my hands against my shoulders to try to stay warm since I was wearing a sleeveless blouse.  I ran across the road and was heading towards my guesthouse when I heard some footsteps from behind.

My gut feeling told me something was not right. But my mind mocked me for overthinking. This was Seoul, one of the safest places in the world. What was I thinking about?

The footsteps intensified. I tried to turn around to peek at whoever was shadowing me. But before I could get a good look at the person, I felt a strong arm around my neck and a hand over my mouth. I tried to break free but I wasn’t strong enough. My mind panicked and the only thing I could do was resist from being dragged into a dark alley behind a row of restaurants.

I was tossed against the wall and fell on the floor which was grimy and wet. I looked up and saw a big, burly man’s silhouette lingering in front of me. I let out a sharp scream before his hands were pressed against my mouth again. I was scared stiff as he ran his hand over my slender shoulder and ripped my blouse open.

I was about to faint from fright and exhaustion. There was nothing I could do to stop this from happening. But miraculously someone appeared and knocked the man on the head with a sharp rock. His large figure collapsed and hit the ground.

“Are you alright?” I heard a familiar voice asking me that and calling my name repeatedly.

I knew I was safe and opened my eyes to see Siwon looking at me with his wide eyes filled with concern. I nodded but was still confused from what had just happened. The next thing I knew, he was carrying me in his arms and bringing me back to where I suppose was the house he shared with Sooyoung.

My back hit the soft mattress of a bed. He was panting in exhaustion as he placed me down.

“Are you alright, Yuri?” He asked after I seemed to have visibly calmed down.

But instead I burst out into tears and wrapped my arms around him to cry on his shoulder.

“You’re safe now, Yuri. I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have let you walk alone even though it was a short distance.   There have been two cases of unsolved attacks on women the past month. I had a bad feeling so I ran after you shortly after you left the café. Thank God I was in time.”

I slowly let go of him after I regained my composure.

“Thank you, Siwon.”

I looked down at my blouse and realized my black bra had been exposed to him the whole time. My cheeks flushed red and I quickly pulled the blanket over me. He seemingly came to the same realization and quickly stood up from the bedside.

“I’ll get you one of my shirts. Sooyoung’s might be too tight for your curvier figure.”

He quickly returned with a shirt and I pulled it over myself.

“Have a good night sleep, Yuri. You can have my bed; I’ll sleep out on the couch.”

I shook my head and reached out to hold his hand to stop him from leaving.

“No, don’t leave me alone. Stay with me tonight.”

The moment he sat down on the chair by the bed side, I fell into a deep sleep.

-------------------------------------------

I woke up next morning to see him still sitting by my side. He looked fairly uncomfortable in that position. I kind of felt bad for making him suffer through the night. I got up from the bed and leaned my face close to his to study his features.

It’s been ten days since I met this guy and so much had happened between us that I had more than enough material to write a movie. After what happened last night, I felt connected to him in a special way. He saved my life. I owed him my life.

I tapped him on the shoulder and he slowly stirred awake. He had a lost expression on his face when he woke up which I thought was adorable.

“Hi Siwon.” I greeted him with some awkwardness.

He rubbed his hand over his neck and looked like he was in great pain.

“I’m sorry I made you spend the night on this hard chair.” I apologized sincerely but concluded it with a cute gesture of sticking my tongue out. Let’s hope acting cute works on this guy.

“Yuri, I’m glad you’re fine. That’s all that matters anyway. Don’t worry about me; I’ll be alright in a couple of hours.”

I felt bad so I stood up and went behind him to give him a back massage.

“Feel better? I’m good at massages by the way.”

He chuckled.

“Yea, you’re pretty awesome at this.”

We heard a knock on his room door and turned to it as the door swung open. Sooyoung stood there with her eyes bulging out and wide open enough to form an O when she saw us.

“That escalated quickly.” She said with a playful grin. “Good going, brother.  Yuri, you sneaky little girl. I didn’t know you had a thing for my brother.”

I quickly removed my hands from his shoulders and hid them behind my back guiltily. Sooyoung obviously had the wrong idea.

Siwon was quick to make things clear. “Not what you think, nosy little sister. Go open the café; I’m sure you already had your fun last night.”

“I know, I know. I wouldn’t disturb you two anymore, continue to have your fun.” Sooyoung cheekily replied. She gave us both a wink before she shut the door.

Siwon got up from the chair and looked at me with a bashful expression.  I burst out into laughter and so did he. And then we remembered about the macarons and our smiles faded. 

--------------------------------------------

A/N:

I realized I meant to type "macarons" not "macaroons". Foolish me. Corrected it :P