Peculiar Situations

Confessions of a Runaway Bride

 

Sooyoung was back the next morning and all three of us were busy getting ready to open the store. I held a broom in my hand and swept the crumbs that were scattered around on the floor. I never had to do any cleaning at home so this was a new experience for me. It was tough work but I kind of enjoyed doing it. It made me felt more human and less like a spoilt child I had always been.

“I heard you were coping well on your own at the counter. Good job, Yuri!” Sooyoung praised me and slapped me on the back as a form of encouragement.  That was a small acknowledgement but it meant a lot to me.

We got busy real quick this morning as customers streamed in one by one to get their daily fix of coffee and pastries. Most did takeaways and by the time rush hour was over, the crowd slowed down and we could catch our breaths.

Sooyoung and I were out working the counter the whole morning. We worked well as a team and communicated perfectly. The customers were so pleased. As I was busy arranging the freshly baked croissants that Siwon had just taken out from the oven, Sooyoung tapped me on the shoulder and whispered into my ear.

“Yuri, that guy over there has been sneaking peeks at you the whole time. Do you know him?” She asked in curious manner.

I stuck my head out from behind the display and made eye contact with a tall, dashing young man dressed in a suit. He froze for a moment when I looked at him, before darting his eyes away and nervously sipping his coffee. That was actually kind of cute.

“No I haven’t seen him before. Is this his first time here?”

Sooyoung nodded and began teasing me. “I think so. Oh man, he’s totally checking you out.”

I shook my head and laughed. “You’re overthinking it, Sooyoung.”

Ten minutes later, the man stood up and was about to leave. But not before he took a long last look at me. I smiled politely at him and he nervously smiled back at me. He didn’t say a word to me and quickly left the café.

-------------------------------------------

“Hot and fresh chocolate puffs on the way!”

Sooyoung and I stood aside as we heard Siwon approaching from behind. Sooyoung got a phone call and she excused herself to the kitchen to answer it. I noticed she smiled sweetly at the screen when she saw the caller ID. Maybe she’s in love with someone? The nosy person I had always been wanted to find out.

I took a whiff of the freshly baked chocolate puffs as I placed them into the display counter. It made my mouth water and I wanted to try it so badly.

“Wow, I love chocolate!” I exclaimed like a little girl, albeit a little too excitedly.

Siwon let out a rare smile on his face. I seldom see him smile but when he does he looks so cute with his dimples showing.

“Try one, Yuri. It’s my new creation!”

“Thanks Siwon!”

I picked up the chocolate puff with a napkin and bit into it. Chocolate sauce oozed out into my mouth as the soft pastry melted along with it. It tasted so heavenly! I couldn’t believe it! As I was busy chewing on it, Siwon pointed at my mouth and smiled coyly.

“Yuri, you’ve got some sauce at the corner of your lips.”

Oh man, that was so embarrassing. I quickly use the napkin and attempted to remove the sauce but instead made a bigger mess on my face.

“I’ll help you with it, if you don’t mind.”

I stayed still as Siwon picked up a clean napkin and wiped the sauce off my lips. He had a serious expression on his face as he focused on the task. I looked up nervously at him because I felt a little weird inside when he was standing so close to me.

“SIWON!”

We jumped apart as someone shouted for his name from the entrance of the café. The owner of the voice was a beautiful young woman who was well-dressed and carrying an expensive Dior handbag. I could tell from the way she carried herself and walked towards us that she was from a privileged background.  But my impression of the woman instantly went down the drain when she pointed her finger rudely at me.

“Siwon, who is she? What are you doing with her?”

Siwon shook his head and placed the napkin on the table.

“She’s my new staff. Yoona, I told you to stop coming. We’re impossible.”

Oh, so Siwon had a persistent pursuer. Well I wasn’t too surprised about that. Siwon does look quite handsome if he wasn’t being an annoying jerk.

“So you like her now? Is that why you stopped going out with me? You like her more don’t you?”

Yoona wouldn’t stop going on and on about me. She looked livid while Siwon just stood there and shook his head exasperatedly.

“Yes, whatever you said.” Siwon threw his hands over his head and paced around for a moment.

Before I knew what was going on, I felt myself being swept into an embrace by Siwon’s powerful arms as he planted a kiss on my forehead. I stood there not knowing what to do or said but I kind of felt safer in his arms. This crazy woman looked like she was going to attack me any second. What a weird situation to get embroiled in on my third day at work.

“Alright I’m going to order ten thousand macarons from you guys and I want it by tomorrow morning. You two lovebirds can have a great time together working on it. If you don’t get it done on time, you know what I can do.”

Without saying another word, she walked out of the café as the sound of her high heels touching the ground started to become distant.

Sooyoung came out of the kitchen and smirked when she saw us still tightly huddled together. Siwon quickly released me from his grip and blushed. I straightened my uniform and hair, while trying hard not to turn tomato red.

“Sorry Yuri.” He quickly apologized and I nodded, accepting his apology.

Siwon went into the kitchen while I stood there motionlessly, with my brain still trying to process what had happened. Sooyoung made me a cup of hot chocolate and we sat down on a bench as she started to explain everything to me.

“Yoona’s crazily infatuated with my brother ever since she came here a few months ago. She asked him out a few times and he didn’t know how to turn her down so he agreed. But he doesn’t want to give her anymore false hope so he made it clear that he wasn’t interested in her. She wouldn’t take no for an answer. A spoilt brat like her can’t take rejection. She’s too used getting her way all the time.”

I shook my head because I didn’t know what to say. This sounded more like a Korean drama than real life. I can’t believe it actually happens.

“She’s insane to order ten thousand macaroons and expecting us to make them.” I commented with a snigger.

“Well we’re going to have to at least try though it sounds impossible. Her father owns a leading food publication in Korea. We’ll be ruined if she uses this to spoil our reputation.”

I hit my fist against the wall. “That’s despicable.”

“Unfortunately the rich people can never understand the hardships we ordinary people have to go through. So what if you have all the money in the world and powerful people on your side? It doesn’t give you the right to bully anyone.”

I felt awful hearing that even though I was rich but innocent.

“I’m sure we can all work together and get this done by tomorrow.”

Sooyoung shook her head. “I’m sorry, Yuri. But I just got a call from our lonely aunt that her light bulb wasn’t working. I’m going to have to go help her out before the sky gets dark. It’s going to take me a few hours to travel back and forth from where she lives so I’m afraid Siwon is on his own with this.”

“Well, no. He has me. I can learn how to make the macarons and help him with it. It’s kind of my fault in a way.”

“Don’t be silly. It’s not your fault. Anyway you’re the first girl my brother hugged and kissed, he must have been so nervous just now.I'm sure you got his heartbeat racing!”

I couldn’t help but feel like blushing again. So I quickly excused myself to the kitchen to see what I could help with.

--------------------------------------------

A/N:

I'm sure everyone can guess who that guy is ^^

And I'm sorry everyone who likes Yoona. She'll be pretty annoying in this story throughout her appearance :P