French Pastries

Confessions of a Runaway Bride

 

So the announcement came that we were approaching my destination. I excitedly shot up my seat and hopped off the bus. But it seemed like he was getting off at the same stop too. The bus driver assisted us in getting our luggage off the bus.

“Wow couple suitcases. Lovely shade of purple,” he commented casually. Mr. Annoying and I shot each other an awkward look and kept quiet.

I took out my map to try to figure out where my guesthouse was. Mr. Annoying paid no further attention to my presence and took his suitcase along with him as he crossed the road. So long, I hope we shall never meet again.

Following the directions I had lifted off the website, I got to my guesthouse which was on a small quiet road pretty far from the main road. I paid for my month of stay and was led to my room on the second floor. It was miserable, as I had expected. There was a thin mattress on a low wooden bedframe on the left side of the room; a chair which didn’t look all too reliable to take any weight and an empty desk on the right side of the room. The moment I got my suitcase in the room, there was hardly any standing space left. Needless to say, I had to use a common bathroom.

I threw my weight on the bed and heard the springs make some weird noise. The reality hit me. I was all alone in a foreign land, living in a room with the bare minimum and having to eat as frugally as possible until I figure out a way to get more money.

But this was the only way out. Mom always believed she had everything done for my own good. My entire life had been dictated by her. She wanted me to learn ballet when I would rather much prefer to learn tennis. She didn’t like me to wear ‘trashy clothes’ that my friend wore so she took control of my wardrobe. She wanted me to be an accountant so I got into business school. But enough was enough. I was not going to let her have a say in my lifelong happiness. I know running away from this marriage was just a short term solution but there was nothing else I could do for now. My fingers traced the material of the bed sheet. If only I had appreciated all the luxury I had been blessed with since I was young.

---------------------------------------------

One week has passed since I arrived in Seoul. My money had shockingly depleted faster than I had anticipated. I was almost broke. I looked at the calendar on my phone. Today was supposed to be the day I married Kim Jongwoon and lead a life of luxury, one greater than my Mom had ever provided me with. If I was a greedy , maybe that wouldn’t seem like a bad idea. But I believe in spending the rest of my life with a man I love, it doesn’t even matter if he was rich or poor.

My phone hasn’t stopped ringing since I came. My Mom hasn’t given up on hunting me down. Thank God Tiffany hasn’t betrayed me yet. Well I know I could count on her. She’s been my best friend ever since and if there was anyone in this would I could trust, it would be her.

The sound of the vibration from my phone was interrupted by my growling stomach. I ran my hand over my flat tummy. I hadn’t had anything proper to eat since the first day when I indulged in a bowl of naengmyeon.

I could get a job to feed myself. But any place that required my identity to be recorded wouldn’t work out. My Mom has some powerful connections in the country; she could hunt me down faster than I can run. Needless to say, my degree in accountancy wouldn’t be put to any use. I have to basically start from scratch.

I dragged my hungry self on the street; hopefully a small eatery around the area would be looking for a waitress or something. No luck after walking through the whole street where I lived. I intended to cross the road to where there were another line of shops. While I was waiting for the light to turn green, I noticed a job advertisement pasted on an electrical box.

Café assistant needed. Experience in baking required. If interested, cross the road, make a left turn and walk into the small alley. We’re at the end of it. 

Now that doesn’t sound too bad and it was something I’m qualified for.

--------------------------------------------

The smell of fresh bread and coffee enticed me as I approached the café given in the instructions. The entrance was lined with fresh flowers just below a gigantic wooden window with small stone steps leading in. I inhaled a mixed fragrance of fresh madeleine and chocolate chip muffins as I entered the café. There were only four small round tables, all fully occupied by customers.

“Hi welcome to my café!” A tall, slim and beautiful young lady greeted me from behind the counter as she placed some freshly baked macaroons into the display.

I returned her pleasant greeting with a sweet smile.

“Hi I saw the advertisement for a job here. I was wondering if it was still available.”

She nodded enthusiastically and invited me behind the counter so we could talk.

“Yes, I’m looking for a full time assistant here. Unfortunately we’re a small establishment so we can’t afford to pay much. I hope you wouldn’t mind the pay being not so attractive.”

“Oh as long as I can make a living, it’s fine with me. I enjoy baking so I would love this job.”

A bright smile appeared on her face.

“That’s lovely. What do you bake?”

“I have tried baking everything here except macarons, which I haven’t succeeded in making perfectly!” Well I hope my honesty doesn’t hurt my chances.

She laughed and gently placed her hand on my shoulder.

“You’re qualified, don’t worry about that. My brother is great with baking, he’ll teach you as we go by. Unfortunately he’s ill today so I’m running the café alone. When can you start?”

Oh my God, I got a job! Just like that! I’m going to be able to feed myself! Hooray!

“I could start now. You could use some help I suppose.”

“Thanks, anyway I forgot to introduce myself, I’m Choi Sooyoung.”

Aww Sooyoung, I like her already. And she has the same surname as I do. But to play on the safe side, I decided to use my alias.

“I’m Kwon Yuri.”

That was my fifth grade teacher’s name. She was such a dear so this name stuck in my head for a long time.

She quickly got me oriented around the place, taught me how to use the coffee machine and gave me a brand new white apron. I tied my hair into a high ponytail and got straight into the action. It was hard work but I had fun working with Sooyoung. She could still be so bubbly and cheerful despite being hounded by unreasonable customers with their numerous requests. I had a hard time maintaining my smile by the end of the day but I’m sure I’ll get used to this after a while. This beats having to be stuck in in an arranged marriage any time.

--------------------------------------------

I was kind of reluctant to get out of bed the next morning but I knew I had to. Dinner wasn’t a problem last night because Sooyoung kindly offered me some of the leftovers that could not be kept till the next day. I had some bagels with jam and fruit tarts; the best meal I ever had since I arrived in Seoul.

I arrived at the café which wasn’t opened to customers yet. I put on my apron, made sure my hair was neat and entered the kitchen. The smell of freshly baked bread greeted me the moment I stepped in. A man was busy getting the trays out of the oven and placing them on racks to cool. He must be Sooyoung’s brilliant older brother whom she can’t stop praising to the skies.

“Hey.” I said softly.

“HOLY !”

I was taken aback when he jumped up from the spot and almost dropped the tray in his hand. He turned around and I gasped when I saw who that was.

“You got to be kidding me! You’re my boss?!” I exclaimed but quickly regretted what I said and covered my mouth with my hand. I didn’t want to piss off my new boss and lose my job. But damn, what a small world it is. I thought I had seen the last of Mr. Purple Suitcase.

“You’re the new girl Sooyoung hired? She told me you were sweet, gentle and beautiful. I didn’t think it would be you.”

He was mocking me. This petty guy is still mad at me for whatever reason. I should be the one mad at him for laughing at my stuff and molesting me. I was pissed off, but I knew I had to swallow my pride and let him have his way if I wanted to keep this job. It’s like a job sent from Heaven when I most needed it. I get to work with a lovely young woman, do something I enjoy and actually make money from it.

“Yea, I’m the new girl here. I’m Kwon Yuri. Let’s put everything that happened behind us and start anew.” I walked towards him and held out my hand. He hesitated for a moment before shaking my hand.

“I’m Choi Siwon. So I heard you can bake pretty well.” He calmed down and sounded nice enough. Ok maybe he wasn’t that bad after all.

I bit my lips and nodded. “Pretty well but I heard from Sooyoung that you’re a baking genius.”

“Oh my little sister, she praises me a little too often. She thinks really highly of me, we’re really close to each other.”

I could see the look in his eyes when he spoke fondly of Sooyoung. This made me kind of wish I had an older brother to dote on me like that.

“Sooyoung wouldn’t be here today. I’ll be in the kitchen most of the time. Can you handle the counter?” He asked.

I jokingly replied, “I can’t say no to my boss, can I?”

He nodded and laughed awkwardly. We didn't say more than ten sentences to each other for the rest of the day. He's one quiet dude, or maybe he's still mad at me?

Hopefully things will get better between us soon. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Another chapter completed. Please bear with me as I set up the story. More characters will appear in the next chapter :)