Close Proximity

Confessions of a Runaway Bride

We arrived at the café and found Sooyoung standing outside the kitchen with her arms across her chest.

“You two were in such a hurry to leave that you left the kitchen in a big mess.”

Indeed. The kitchen was in a terrible state with flour and sugar scattered around by the ceiling fan that continued to run as we speak.

Sooyoung came towards us, shaking her head.

“You should have known better than to be so irresponsible, Siwon.”

I put my hand up to stop Sooyoung from reprimanding Siwon. It was my entire fault. Everything bad that has happened thus far was my fault.

“Sooyoung, I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I left the café late last night and Siwon went after me, worried that something bad might happen to me. I was attacked last night by an unknown man and was in a terrible state. I made Siwon stay with me the whole night so he forgot about the mess in the kitchen.”

“Oh my God, are you alright?” Sooyoung came rushing towards me and holding on to my arms. “Oh, no wonder I saw a man being escorted out of the alley by the police this morning. Suzy from the flower shop next door told me he was a wanted man.”

I heaved a sigh of relief that this criminal was now taken into custody. I shuddered when I recalled what happened last night until my hero came to save me. My eyes met Siwon’s and I immediately looked the other way to prevent myself from giving away how much I admired him after last night.

We hurriedly tidied up the kitchen and opened up for business. There was no way we could present the ten thousand macaroons to Yoona though and we didn’t even want to continue trying. It was mission impossible.

After the morning crowd had gone, Sooyoung and I could finally catch out breaths from working hard non-stop.

“So… there’s nothing going on between you and my brother?” Sooyoung asked abruptly.

I blushed and avoided eye contact with her. “There’s nothing between us.”

“Oh man. I was actually really happy for him when I thought that something happened between you two. It’s about time Siwon finds someone who loves him.”

“He already has you, doesn’t he? You’re such a sweet sister.”

Siwon walked out of the kitchen at this moment and wiped the perspiration off his forehead.

Sooyoung waved to Siwon. “Siwon, come here. There’s something I want to tell you.”

Siwon sat down next to us and looked curious as to what Sooyoung had to say.

“Siwon. Kyuhyun’s asked me to move in with him and I agreed. We’re engaged. He proposed last night.” Sooyoung flashed a bright blissful smile at us and rose up her left hand to show us the ring on her fourth finger.

“Congratulations Sooyoung!” I pulled Sooyoung into a tight hug.

Siwon grunted and cleared his throat. “I noticed that this morning. Congratulations Sooyoung. You deserve the happiness he can give you.”

“You don’t sound too happy.” Sooyoung went over to Siwon and gave him a big hug. “You know I’ll still love you and I’ll always be your little sister. I’ll still be working at the café since Kyuhyun doesn’t stay too far away from here.”

Siwon patted her on the head and ruffled her hair. “I know. My little sister is all grown up now. I’m so proud of you.”

It warmed my heart to see the touching scene between them. Even though they weren’t real siblings, the love and bond they shared was true. I started to get teary-eyed and missed my Mom. But even more so, I missed the Dad I never had. I always wanted to experience love from a complete family but my wish has never came true. That’s the same wish I make every year before I blow the candles on my birthday cake. Would my wish finally come true this year?

Everything was back to normal after that, although Sooyoung would have to go home and start packing by tonight. She’ll be gone from their house in a few days. Even though I knew Siwon was happy for her for finding her true love, he couldn’t hide the sadness of somewhat losing the little sister he had been living with his whole life.

While Siwon was in the kitchen making more bread, I sneaked in from behind and tapped him on the shoulder. He got startled by my sudden intrusion and jumped in fright. I giggled when I saw his terrified expression.

“Yuri, you scared me.” He commented while placing his palm on his heart.

“Sorry about that.” I stuck out my tongue. “Are you alright? I can see you’re a little upset with what Sooyoung said.”

Siwon dusted the flour off his hands placed his arms across his chest. “I’m glad she’s found a man she can entrust her life to. But it’s still kind of painful to lose someone I had been staying with since I was a kid. We may not be blood-related but I treat her like my real sister. I’m going to have to get used to not having her around the house.”

“I understand where you’re coming from.”

His eyes darted to the clock. “It’s already noon. Thank God Yoona isn’t here yet.”

Speak of the devil. The next moment we knew it, we heard the clicking of her heels and then her loud voice asking for Siwon at the counter. Siwon sighed and shook his head before exiting the kitchen while I followed closely behind him.

“So do you have my macaroons ready? I’m going to complain about how lousy your café is to my Dad if I don’t get them.”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes at Yoona. “We don’t take absurd requests from rude customers.”

“You…” Yoona’s eyes turned to slits as she pointed her finger at Sooyoung who was smirking at her. She then turned her attention to me who was standing by the side.

“You’re wearing the shirt he wore on our 2nd date to the mall!” Yoona exclaimed as she walked up towards me. “Why are you wearing his shirt?”

Just as I was about to give her a witty reply, I felt Siwon’s arm around my shoulder.

“Because she’s living with me now and I’ll let her wear anything of mine that she likes.”

The way he put that across was just so swoon worthy that I actually believed it for a moment.

“Alright, if that’s the case, don’t regret it.”

Yoona was close to tears by this point and ran out of the café instantly. I actually kind of felt bad for her. She was probably having one of those crazy infatuations I used to have in high school. I actually confessed to a guy on the school field in front of the entire school population once. Thank God he was nice enough to at least take me out on one date and then dump me over text so I wasn’t so humiliated.

“You know what, that just gave me an idea.” Sooyoung chirped just as Siwon took his arm off me and hid his arms behind his back. “Yuri can move into my room. It’s definitely safer than living at that guesthouse across the road.”

“I’m cool with that if Siwon agrees. I’ll pay rent.” I actually liked that suggestion. It was terrible living at that guesthouse all alone with absolutely no facilities.

Siwon nodded. “Well that’s definitely a brilliant idea. I don’t feel good letting Yuri stay all alone in that isolated guesthouse.”

------------------------------------------

A week passed and Sooyoung moved over to Kyuhyun’s house, which was an expensive private apartment just twenty minutes away from the café. The past week flew by quickly as we were busy at work almost every day. I grew closer to Sooyoung who told me a lot about her dearest Kyuhyun, whom she describes as the perfect man for her even though she was imperfect herself. I was kind of envious of how lucky she was to find her Mr. Right so quickly in life and having the freedom to marry him just as she wanted to. But I believed I would find my own happiness someday, it would come.

The café was closed for the day so we could take a break and I could move. I packed what little I had and turned up at Siwon’s doorstep. Siwon opened the door and helped me with my purple suitcase.

“I hope you don’t take to heart what I said on the first day we met,” he said with a little smile on his face.

My mind went back to the eventful day when I arrived in Seoul and had a run-in with Siwon before I was formally introduced to him. Argh, it was so embarrassing that I would rather not talk about it.

“So, that’s Sooyoung’s room?” I pointed to a room just next to Siwon’s in a weak attempt to change the topic.

“Yes, that’s her room.”

He helped me bring my luggage in and the lights. The room was small but cozy with rose-colored wallpaper and white furniture. The bed frame was lined with numerous stuffed animals, some resembling the ones I saw in his purple suitcase. Oh, so they were for Sooyoung. That’s sweet of him.

“I hope you don’t mind these stuffed animals. Sooyoung has way too many of them and couldn’t take all of them to Kyuhyun’s place. She’s giving them all to you.”

I picked up a blue rabbit that I vagulely recognized.

“It was in your suitcase, wasn’t it?”

“Yea, I got it for her as a gift but she didn’t really like it,” replied Siwon as he frowned. “I thought it was the cutest of the bunch.”

“Aww I like it though. It’s special.” I cuddled the rabbit and grinned at Siwon.

“I’m glad you do. I’ll leave you alone for now. I’ll be in my room if you need me.”

I kissed the blue rabbit on the nose after Siwon had exited the room. 

"You're going to be my new best friend. I'll call you Blue." 

-------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for disappearing for so long. I kind of hit a writer's block and stopped to figure out how I want the story to continue.

The relationship between Yuri and Siwon will pick up steam SOON. And who is the mysterious guy at the cafe?