Clearing Things Up

Ride of a Lifetime

 I jumped and turned off the music, turning to face him. Why him of all people? He hates me! I looked at Kyuhyun through my hair I had let down. He was smiling kindly at me. I guess he couldn’t tell who I was. “My manager and I got stuck in traffic. There was an accident.”

“Er…um..It’s okay.” I bowed to him. “Thank you for helping me today. Please take care of me.” My heart was racing in my chest. Please, oh please don’t let him hear it. Please don’t be mad when you see it’s me. PLEASE Kyuhyun-ssi…

“So what’s your name? And would you pull your hair back so I can see your face?” His voice was kind. Was this really the same man who called me stupid earlier? I hid my bandaged hand behind me.

“Okay but….please don’t leave. I really do need your help.”

“Why would I leave?” I took a deep breath, and with shaky hands I tied back my hair. “Autumn…” his face darkened and his near black eyes hardened. I flinched at the instant change in atmosphere.

“Hello Kyuhyun-ssi.” I bowed again. “I am sorry about this morning and I’m sorry you are being forced to work with me. You startled me earlier. I will buy you a new shirt to replace that one if you’d like.” He rolled his eyes and let out an indignant snort.

“No. Now let’s get this over with.” He voice was like ice.

“Yes sir.”

“A-cha. What part.”

“Yours, sir.” He grunted. “I’m having trouble on one part in particular.”

“Dance.”

“The whole thing?”

“Yes, you stupid girl.” I cringed at his harsh words.

“Okay.” I turned the music back on and started dancing, stumbling at that same part again. “Dammit,” I muttered.

“Your feet are in the wrong place.”

“What?”

“Look. You were standing like this. You need to be like this or one of these times, you’ll eat it and chip or lose a tooth.” I watched as Kyuhyun danced.

“Okay.” I copied him, not stumbling this time. “Like that?” I looked up happily.

“Yes.” I smiled. Finally! “You have it. I’m going now. Being around you makes me inconceivably angry.” He grabbed his jacket and left, leaving me standing in the middle with tears in my eyes. What did I do to deserve this? Why does he hate me so much?! I tugged at my hair, slumping to the floor for a moment before I composed myself. I grabbed my things and went to meet Junho to head home.

“Ah! Autumn-ah! There you are!” I noticed Kangin jogging over to me.

“Kangin oppa? What are you doing here?” He bounded over to me with a huge smile on his face. He really is handsome in a very masculine way. His smile is so nice.

“I’m here to take you home.”

“Really? Where’s Junho-ssi?”

“He took Kyuhyun to his schedule.”

“Why didn’t he tell me?” I muttered to myself, pulling on my hoodie and cap. Kangin shrugged.

“Dunno. Junho is one of the weird managers. I’m going to take you back to the dorm, but then I gotta get to my schedule.” We hopped in the car. “How was rehearsal?”

“Eh.” I shrugged, not really in the mood to talk. Damn that maknae.

“Okay…Who’s your helper?” My hand tightened on the handle of the door.

“Kyuhyun,” I grumbled. “Unfortunately.”

“What do you mean ‘unfortunately?’”

“Can’t you tell he hates me? I don’t even know what I did! The first day here and he was treating me like I was a piece of dirt not worth his attention. NOT how I was expecting to be treated by anyone here! Especially not my bias!”

“Autumn-ah…” I was on a role now.

“Then he goes and calls me stupid, tells me I should be here, that I don’t belong here. He didn’t realize it was me rehearsing at first and was all nice to me, then started hating me as soon as he realized it was me! I mean, I know I’m a girl. I know I’m a foreigner. But really! What did I do to deserve this?!” I grabbed my hair, pulling. Huh, should probably stop that if I want to keep what I’ve got… Kangin was quiet.

“That’s odd,” he said quietly.

“What?” I snapped.

“Kyu’s not generally like that. He can be evil, yeah, but he’s not mean. He plays pranks but he’s not cruel. He’s really sweet.” His eyes flicked to me. “There’s got to be an explanation. Maybe he’s stressed?”

“Whatever,” I sighed. “I don’t care anymore.”

“Bull.”

“Excuse me?” I glared at Kangin. “Would you care to say that again, raccoon?” He shrugged.

“I said bull. You said yourself that he’s your bias. No E.L.F. wants to be hated by their bias oppa.” I rolled my eyes and leant my head on the window.

“He’s not my bias anymore,” I muttered. He just shrugged again.

“Whatever you say.” Kangin pulled around back, into the garage and let me out. “Minnie and Hyukkie should be home, so knock and they’ll let you in.” I nodded.

“Thanks for the ride, oppa. Good luck at your schedule.” I hopped out of the car.

“Thanks. And hey,” He leaned across the seat. “It’ll be okay. I promise.” I nodded again, wanting to believe him but finding it difficult to.

“Thank you. Now go oppa. You’re gonna be late.” He chuckled and rolled up the window, heading out. I sighed and headed up in the elevator. I met Donghae and Siwon coming down the hall to the elevator on their way to the shoot.

“Ah! Autumn-ah!” Donghae chirped, a huge smile on his face. I laughed to cover up how upset I felt.

“Hi Donghae-ah, Siwon-ah. Good luck with the shoot.” I winked and walked out of the elevator as they walked in.

Thank you. We’ll see you tonight.” Siwon said in English.

Okay. Bye!” The doors slid shut and muffled the sound of Donghae’s complaints of not being able to understand us. Maybe I could teach him something other than “You are so gorgeous” while I’m here. I shook my head and quickly walked up to the apartment, wanting a shower and to sit down and cry. I knocked loudly.

“Who iiisssss iiiiitttttt~?” A voice sang. Hyukkie…

“Hyukkie oppa…It’s Autumn.” I let out a sigh, not in the mood for his tom foolery. He quickly opened the door and I suddenly found myself in a hug. “Oppa?!” He laughed, picking me up and carrying me over his shoulder into the den.

“Minnie hyung! Look what I caught!”

“What is it Hyukkie?”

“LEE HYUKJAE YOU PUT ME DOWN THIS SECOND!” I yelled pounding on his back and kicking my legs like a child. He laughed.

“Is that Autumn?” Sungmin was curled up on the couch. “What are you doing to her?”

“I caught an Autumn” Hyukkie cackled.

“Minnie oooopppppaaaaaaa!” I whined. That’s right es, the American can do aegyo.  Minnie just chuckled.

“You forget that I am the King of Aegyo.” Damn. Time to change tactics.

“Eunhyuk oppa?” I pouted. “Pretty please put me down?” He switched me to carrying me bridal style. I pouted, curling my hands under my chin.

“Aw, look at you. Little baby!” He dropped me on Sungmin.

“Yah!” We yelled together. Minnie let out an ‘oof!’ when I landed on him. “I’m sorry oppa!” I quickly got off of him and turned slowly to face the monkey. Monkey’s gonna die.  

“Lee Hyukjae?” I hissed quietly. He’s dead. Dead, I tell you. I am in NO mood for this.

“Wh-what?” he stumbled back a little as I stepped towards him.

“What would your hyungs think of me attacking you?” My voice was low, deadly. Abby called it my ‘Halloween voice.’ Eunhyuk’s Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed.

“Attack me?” His eyes were huge. I nodded slowly as I shifted my weight onto the balls of my feet, leaning forward.

“Autumn?” Sungmin asked quietly. 3…2…1…I ran at Eunhyuk. He let out a scream-a rather girly one, mind you-and ran down the hall.

“When I get my hands on you, Lee Hyukjae, you are so dead!” He would have outrun me if he hadn’t stumbled on a shirt on the floor. I tackled him and we fell to the ground. Immediately, I started tickling him. He tried to push me off, but was too weak from laughter. I was so rapt with torturing the monkey that I didn’t hear the door open to the apartment. I only hesitated when I heard other voices start to laugh. Eunhyuk used this to get up and sprint to his room, slamming the door.

“You’re evil!” he yelled.

“You started it!” I hit his door and heard him squeak. “Stupid monkey,” I grumbled. “Oh, hi oppas.” Yesung, Shindong, and Ryeowook were all watching with an amused expression.

“Hi,” Yesung waved and Shindong shook his head.

“Do I even want to know?” He asked. I just shrugged.

“Long story.” I closed my eyes and yawned. I felt someone holding me and opened one eye to see who it was. I swear if it is Eunhyuk again, I will hurt the boy. Turns out, it was just Ryeowook.

“Wookie! What are you doing?!” Shindong yelled. I smiled.

“It’s fine. In America, we give hugs all of the time.” I hugged him back. “Long day, oppa?” He nodded into my neck. I laughed at him. “You’re adorable oppa. Why don’t you go take a nap?” He nodded, let me go, and stumbled down the hall.

“Yah! Hyung, don’t!” Shindong yelled again. Was this man ever quiet? Yesung grabbed me in a hug.

“Oppa?”

“I wanted a hug, too.” He pouted at me. Now Yesung is doing aegyo? Do they want me to die!? I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a hug. “Yay!” He let me go and ran down the hall to his and Ryeowook’s room. Weird turtle.

“Let Wookie-ah sleep!” I called. “Aish, what a weird kid.” I looked at Shindong. “Are you hungry?” He nodded eagerly. “Okay, I’ll fix you something. Sungmin oppa?” I asked as I walked back through the den. “Do you want some food?”

“Please!” he called from his spot on the couch.

“How’s fried rice sound? I have my own special way of making it.”

“Yummy!” I chuckled.

“Shindong oppa, will you help me?”

“Sure.”

“Thank you.” We walked into the kitchen. “Okay, so, I need a small bowl, cutting board, small pan, large pan or wok, sesame oil, soy sauce, eggs, salt, pepper, peas, carrots, and, of course, rice. Ooo! And garlic!” I ran over to the fridge and pawed through it. Sure enough, Wookie had been shopping.

“Okay, I got out the dishes you need. And the rice.”

“Will you wash the rice please?”

“Sure.” I grabbed the eggs, carrots and peas. “Rice is washed.” He handed it to me.

“Thanks, now wash these please.” I handed him the carrots and peas and started the rice. Things were going smoothly in the kitchen, until Shindong knocked over the open sesame oil. On the stove. On the hot burner. Did you know that oil is flammable? Well, it is. Especially when it gets hot. Like when it’s spilt on a hot burner. Shindong let out a girlish squeal-wow, they do that a lot- and ran to the sink when the oil ignited.

“I got water!” he yelled, holding a cupful.

“No!” I knocked it out of his hand, turned off the burner and slammed a lid down over it with a bang.

“What happened?” Sungmin was surveying the damage with Eunhyuk and Yesung peeking around him. I glared at Eunhyuk and he squeaked, hiding.

“Shindong, grab a rag and help me clean this up. Yesung! Don’t touch that lid!” He pulled his hand back.

“Why not?”

“Shindong spilt the sesame oil on the burner and it caught on fire. That lid will burn your skin right off if you touch it.” His eyes widened and he hid behind Sungmin again. Shindong was busy wiping up the water and I started cleaning up the cool, non-burning oil.

“Oh…are you two okay?” I looked at Shindong.

“Yeah, we’re fine. The food will be fine too. And Shindong oppa. I’m sorry I hit you, but oil floats on water. The fire would have continued to burn on top of the water and could have spread. He smiled at me.

“It’s fine. I’m sorry I panicked.” I smiled, patting his head.

“Where are the hot pads?” Sungmin threw one at me and it hit me square in the face. “Yah! Oppa!” he giggled and ran. I shook my head and carefully lifted the lid. Yup, fire’s out. I wiped down the burner and finished up the rice.

“Oppas! The rice is done!” Before they all ran in, I divided out two portions and hid them. “Guys, save some for the others when they get back!” Cue the door opening.

“Hyung! Why? I really, really don’t want to!” I heard Kyuhyun whining.

“Quit complaining and go!” Kangin? He’s back early. I looked at the clock on the stove. Or not. It’s already five…

“Aish! Fine!” Kangin and Kyuhyun walked into the kitchen. “What smells good?” Kyu asked.

“Autumn made fried rice!” Minnie chirped.

“Oh.” He looked at me. I could have sworn I saw something like regret flick through his eyes, but it was quickly replaced with the cold animosity of before. “I’m not hungry.” He turned and left, slamming the door to his room. I sighed and looked down.

“I hope you like it oppas.” I quickly left and locked myself in my room. I would like to say that Kyuhyun's cold glances had no effect on me.

But that would be a lie.

No, I broke down and sobbed into my pillow like a teenager.

I did feel better after I finished crying and quickly ran to the bathroom, washing my face. There, I look normal again. When I walked out and into the den, everyone was sitting in the den talking.

“Pocky!” Eunhyuk yelled. Oh dear. The Pocky game… “Play with us Autumn!” I shook my head.

“No thanks . I need to do something. Is Kyuhyun-ssi in his room?” Hyukkie looked confused. Probably because he knew I wanted nothing to do with Kyuhyun.

“Yeah, he hasn’t come out since he got home.” I nodded.

“Thank you.” I went into the kitchen and grabbed the two servings of rice I had divided out, heating them up in the microwave. When they were done, I grabbed some forks and headed to Kyuhyun’s room. I knocked softly.

“What?” He snapped.

“Kyuhyun-ssi…I brought you some food. Y…You had a busy day today.” He opened the door slightly.

“What?” His voice sounded confused. I looked up at him.

“I brought you some food. I made sure the others couldn’t get it so you could have some.” Be still, my heart.

“…Okay.” He opened the door and grabbed the plate. When I didn’t leave immediately, he looked at me. “What do you want now?”

“May…may I eat with you?” He looked shocked.

“What?”

“Please…I want to talk to you. May I eat with you?” He scowled.

“After all I’ve done and you still want to talk to me. Fine, come in.” I followed him in and shut the door before sitting on the ground. “Why are you down there? Get on Minnie’s bed, stupid.” I nodded, brushing off the name as he sat in his computer chair. “What do you want to say? Hurry, I’m busy.” My eyes flicked to his Starcraft account that was open on his computer.

“O…okay.” I set my fork down and took a deep breath. Now or never, Autumn. “I want to apologize. For whatever it was I did when I got here. I honestly don’t know why you hate me, but it’s obviously something I did.” I picked at the gauze on my hand. I should probably change that and put some more ointment on. “I hope you can forgive me and that we can grow to have an amiable relationship.” I bowed my head, nervous to meet his eyes. Kyu was silent, so I looked up at him. What was that expression on his face? Confusion? Amusement? He scratched at his forehead. Oh God. Please say something already! ><

“Well, I don’t hate you. Not as much as you think anyways.” My eyes widened and I snapped them up to look at him.

“What?”

“I don’t hate you that much,” he repeated.

“But…but yesterday. You were so mad! And today! You call me stupid, you never talk to me if you can avoid it, and your whole demeanor changed when you saw it was me you were teaching. You…” I trailed off, looking at him. What the hell was going on here?!

“I am very uncomfortable with the prospect of a new person, an American girl none the less, staying with us only a few months after Leeteuk left. It’s like Soo Man threw you here to test us and I don’t like that idea. I don’t like being played. It showed through when the guys took to you so easily. I don’t like the fact that they accepted you without question. You’re a stranger we know nothing about.  I’m sure you can see why I’m unhappy.” He leaned back and put his hands behind his head, shrugging.  “Then you got food on one of my favorite shirts.”

“I am really sorry about that Kyuhyun-ssi…” I hesitated. “You startled me is all. But…why did you say that I didn’t belong here?” My voice cracked. Oh no. Dammit body! You are NOT going to start crying on me again!

“I was upset and thinking. I really didn’t, and still don’t, want anybody else here, and you were just dropped on us.” He shrugged again. He took a bite of the rice. “Did you make this?” he pointed at his plate.

“Oh, uh, yeah. After I stopped a fire Shindong started on the stove.”

“What?”

“He spilt sesame oil on the hot burner and it caught on fire. Nothing big, but enough for him to panic.” Kyuhyun chuckled. It was the first happy sound I had heard from him. He should laugh more.

“Well, it’s really good. Not as good as Hannie’s, but still really good.” Then he muttered something I didn’t catch under his breath before he looked up and, you won’t believe this, smiled at me! I felt my heart stutter in my chest.

“Y-you’re welcome!” God, I sound like an idiot >< “I’ve heard that Hankyung made amazing Beijing Fried Rice.” Kyu nodded.

“Yeah, he does.” He looked sad.

“Do…do you keep in contact with him?”

“He calls occasionally to wish us luck in awards, but I haven’t seen him since he finally left after we got the law suit settled a few years ago.” He set his fork down, running his hands threw his hair.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“It’s fine.”  He smiled at me again. “Now, about our relationship and being friends.” I sat ramrod straight on the bed.

“If you are still uncomfortable with me, then I understand you wanting to avoid me. I won’t be offended,” I said quickly.

“Uh, I was going to say I’d try. It’ll just take a while.” I nodded, agreeing.

“Oh! Okay.” I set my plate aside, stood, and bowed. “Thank you for talking with me Kyuhyun-ssi. I feel much better now.” I grabbed my plate and turned to the door.

“Autumn-ah.” I spun around to face him again.

“Yes, Kyuhyun-ssi?” He smirked at me.

“Call me oppa?” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

F0rever15: Oh God...I'm so late on this update. Thank you to whoever is still following this! I really apreciate you putting up with my lack of updating!

Autumn: Still writing about other bands, huh?

F0rever15: Autumn! Hush!

Autumn: I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You don't control me.

Siwon: Are you two fighting again?

Autumn: Oooppaaaa!!!! Can we go get icecream?

F0rever15: Yah! No you can't!

Siwon: Sure.

F0rever15: *facepalm*

Yesung: Well...At least she's out of your hair now.

F0rever15: Doesn't comfort me, Yesung. 

Ryeowook: Please support us! Send us letters with questions about anything relating to any of us or what has happened. We haven't gotten any yet and it's making me sad.

Sungmin: Yeah! We also apreciate comments, subscriptions and votes! 

Yesung: Author-nim does too...*stares grumbling F0rever15 in the corner*

Shindong: Thank you for reading! See you soon! If...F0rever15 can hold onto her sanity that long...