The Phonecall

Ride of a Lifetime

 

 “Autumn! Wake up! Phone’s for you!” my little brother shrieked from outside my door. Grumbling, I rolled out of bed and answered my room’s phone.

 “Hello?” I sat at my desk, ruffling my awful bedhead.

 “Is this Autumn?” said a distinctly Asian accented voice.

 “Yes, may I ask who is calling?” Who would be calling at this ungodly hour?

 “My name is Lee Youngwoon. I work for SM Entertainment in South Korea.” I sat up ramrod straight in my chair. SM? SM was calling me? Does that mean they got my application?

“Oh! Hello! It’s good to hear from you. What can I do for you?”

“We recently received and application from you to come and become a part of the SM family. Song and dance, yes?”

“Yes, that’s me.” I was grinning from ear to ear.

“The board has looked over your application, and would like to fund a trip here for you to audition.” I nearly dropped the phone. “Miss?”

 “Ah! Yes! Yes, I would love to come and audition. When were you thinking?” I quickly pulled out my pad and pen, ready to take down whatever he gave me.

"We are prepared to have you board the seven a.m. flight tomorrow. A manager from SM will be at the airport to pick you up when you arrive.” My pen scratched at the yellow pad.

 “And how long will I be staying?”

 “The audition will be a week from tomorrow, to give you time to prepare. Depending on how you do there, you will either go home the following week or you will stay here.”

 “I see. Alright, will you be emailing me my ticket information?” I couldn’t believe how calm I was able to stay.

 “Yes, I have your address. You will receive it shortly. Pack well. I look forward to meeting you,” he said kindly.

“Thank you. I look forward to meeting you as well.” I smiled.

“Have a good day.” Youngwoon said.

“You as well.” I put the phone back on its cradle and sat there for a minute, letting it all sink in. When the sound of receiving an email chimed from my cell phone, I realized it was all real. I jumped up and sprinted out of my room, down the stairs. “MOM! Mommommommommommom!” I yelled frantically. She poked her head out of the kitchen, concerned.

“What is it? Are you okay? Who was that on the phone?” I grabbed her around the waist, clutching her in a hug.

“That was a representative from SM Entertainment on the phone. They want me to come and audition!” He face broke into a giant smile.

“That’s great honey! When do you go?” I let go of her.

“My flight they reserved for me leaves tomorrow at seven in the morning.” My mom’s smile faltered slightly before she perked back up.

“Well, then you need to get packing! You start and I’ll get some breakfast for you.” I hugged her again.

“Thanks Mom.” She kissed my forehead.

“You’re welcome sweetheart.” I turned and ran back up the stairs. I yanked out my bright purple suitcase and started packing. I started up Super Junior’s “Don’t Don!” dancing and singing as I threw clothes on my bed. “Don’t! Don! Modeun ge don se sang won ane gadhin nuh What is your mind!” I turned down my music when there was knock at my door. “Come it!” My little sister Abby came in and sat on my bed next to my suit case. “Hey Abby. What’s up?” She looked sad. No, sad isn’t the right word. She looked flat out depressed.

“You’re leaving,” she said simply. I feel this would be a good time to point out that I’m twenty and still living at home. I sat next to her on the bed.

“Yeah. I’m going to Korea for a while.” I smiled at her and she just crossed her arms.

“You won’t come back.” Those words stabbed me. She thought I was abandoning her and the rest of the family. How could my little sister have so little trust in me?

“Abby, that’s not true! I’ll only be gone a couple of weeks for the audition. If I’m let in, then I’ll always come visit, and you can come visit me in Korea.” Abby has this habit of puffing her cheeks out whenever she thinks you’re lying. Right now, she looked like a chipmunk. I giggled and patted her head. “I swear I’m not lying to you Abbigail.” She looked up at me with her big crystal blue eyes.

“Promise?”

“I promise.” She stuck out her pinky.

“Pinky swear on it. You can’t break a pinky swear.” I smiled and hooked my pinky around hers.

“Okay. I pinky swear!” She smiled and crawled into my lap, giving me a hug.

“Thanks sis.” I smiled and kissed her head. Suddenly, “Mr. Simple” started playing. Abby gasped and jumped up. “I love this song!” She started dancing and singing along in broken Korean. Though her singing was lacking, she knew the dance perfectly. “Bwara Mr. Simple Simple,” she sang. I laughed at her and joined, dancing and singing Leeteuk’s part. We were almost to the end when my mom can in. She laughed and we stopped.

“Well, my two little idols, breakfast is ready.” Abby bounced out of my room, still singing. My mom smiled after her. I stopped before going down the stairs to give my mom a hug. I felt something wet drop on my neck and pulled her back to arm’s length. Tears were making their way down her cheeks.

“Mom? What’s wrong?” I felt a sudden worry over her. She just smiled and shook her head.

“Nothing sweet heart. Just a mother fretting over her child.” I wrapped my arms around her.

“Oh Mom…I’m so sorry.” It broke my heart to see her like this. Especially when I knew that I was the cause.

“Don’t be honey. You are following your dreams. I’m so proud of you.” She pulled away. “Now go eat hun.”

“Okay. I love you Mom.”

“I love you too sweetie.” She brushed my hair out of my face then nudged me towards the stairs. I smiled and took them three at a time, jumping into the dining room. Michael’s friend Shinglee was sitting at the table with Abby.

Good morning, noona.” He said sweetly in Korean.

Good morning Shinglee. How are you?” I asked, sitting across from him. He bowed his head slightly.

I’m well today, noona. Thank you for asking.” I giggled at his use of the formal Korean dialect.

Shingie, you don’t have to speak so formally to me. I may be your noona, but I’m still your friend.” He smiled shyly at me.

Okay, noona.” He turned to Abby who was prodding his arm.

“Shingie…I can’t understand you.” She scowled. He blushed a beet red.

“I’m sorry, Abby,” he switched back to flawless English. I smiled and went to take a bite of my eggs when I felt something smack the back of my head.

“Ya!” I yelled, spinning around to see who hit me. They were in for it now. However, all of the anger melted from me when I saw who it was. There he stood, uniform still on.

“Aiden…” I breathed. My brother smiled down at me as I slowly stood. “You’re home…” Tears were starting to brim in my eyes. He opened his arms and I ran into them. He picked me up and spun me around.

“Hey sis,” he said into my hair, kissing my head. I pushed back from him gently and looked to the stairs.

“Mom! Aiden’s home! He’s finally home!” I heard the frantic steps of my mother as she ran down the stairs. She stopped at the bottom, starring at Aiden. She just stared at him, unable to speak.

“Hi Mom,” he said softly. That did it. My mother ran from her spot by the stairs and into Aiden’s arms.

“Aiden. Oh, my Aiden. My baby boy.” My mom was sobbing in his arms and I blotted tears form my own eyes. Abby got up and poked Aiden in the side. He pulled away from my mom to see her. Mom let go of Aiden and came over to me. I wrapped her in my arms as Aiden lifted up Abby and spun her around. She let out a delighted squeal. My final sibling came sprinting into the room.

“Hadoken!” Michael yelled, coming within inches of hitting Aiden. Aiden just laughed, setting Abby down and ruffling Michael’s hair.

“Hey kiddo!” Michael scowled and moved away.

“I’m not a kid! I’m fifteen!” He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, trying to look tough.

“Sure sport. You’re a kid to me.” Aiden captured Michael in a headlock. He immediately started protesting, pushing away.

“Hey! Let me go!”

“Holler uncle!

“Never!”

“Do it and I’ll let you go.” Aiden started giving Michael a noogie. 

“Alright. Alright! Uncle!” Aiden laughed again and let Michael go. I’ve missed his laugh so much since he’s been overseas.

“Shinglee.” I turned to the small boy still sitting at the table. “Come and meet our brother Aiden.” He stood up and came over quickly. “Shingie, this is Aiden. He just got back from military service.” Aiden smacked me over the head again. “Yah! What was that for?!” I yelled at him in Korean.

What did I tell you about using languages only you and I can understand?!”  he yelled back in Korean. I crossed my arms and fake-glared at him.

“Fine,” I said, switching back to English. “Aiden, this is Michael’s friend Shinglee. We call him Shingie.” Aiden shook his hand.

“Nice to meet you young man. I trust you’re taking good care of my sister?” He pointed to Abby and Shingie nodded rapidly.

“Y-yes sir,” he stuttered. I smiled.

“Aiden! Don’t scare the poor child,” Mom scolded.

“You’re noona’s brother?” He pointed to me then Aiden.

“That’s right young man.” He grabbed me around the neck in a headlock.

“Yah!”

“This little devil’s my sister.” I reached up and poked him in the side, his only weak spot. He gasped a giggle and his hold loosened long enough for me to wiggle out of his grasp. “You shouldn’t have done that,” he said severely. My eyes widened and I stepped back to the stairs.

“Don’t even think about it Aiden…” I warned, pointing at him. He moved steadily towards me, like a hunter. Finally I snapped and made for the stairs, shrieking when he tackled me to the floor. He showed no mercy as he tickled me. “A-Aiden! St-st-stop! Can’t breathe!” my sentence came out choppy, I was laughing so hard.

“Holler!”

“Uncle! Uncle!” I gasped out. He smiled and stopped, sitting up over me. I reached up and grabbed him in a hug. “I’ve missed you so much.” He hugged me back.

“I’ve missed you too.” He stood and helped me up.

“Alright you two. Autumn has a lot to do today, so let her eat.” I sat down and started eating. It was cold. Oh well.

“Alright, what’s up kid, that’s so important?” I swallowed the bite of my eggs.

“Well…I got an invitation to audition with SM Entertainment.” He smiled at me.

“That’s great! When?”

“My flight leaves tomorrow morning.”

“Wow…so soon?” He looked sad. I felt my heart break for the third time that day and I set my fork down.

“Yeah…I know it’s soon. Now that you’re back, I don’t want to go…” Tears were building in my eyes. Aiden frowned at me. “What?” I whispered.

“You’re going.” I looked up sharply.

“Wha?”

“You’re. Going. You aren’t giving up on your dream just because I came home.” He leaned back and crossed his arms.

“But-“

“No. You leave tomorrow morning. I’ll drive you to the airport!” He smiled brightly at me.

“Okay…” He stood up and ruffled my hair. I smiled up at him. “Love you, bro.”

“Love you too, kid.” I scarfed the rest of my food and Aiden cleared my plate. “Hey, Mom. Let’s go to the mall today. Family time.” She turned off the water and came over to us at the table.

“Sounds good to me. Abby, Michael. Go get dressed.”

“Yes ma’am!” They chanted and rat to their rooms.

“Shingie?” I asked, turning to the small boy.

“Yes noona?”

“I’m gonna take you home in a few minutes. Go get your shoes on.” He nodded and ran to Michael’s room. “I’m going to get dressed. Be right back!” Humming, I ran up the stairs and quickly changed into jeans and a t-shirt with Ryeowook, Yesung, and Kyuhyun from Super Junior K.R.Y. on it. My friend Lindsay had made if for me as a graduation present. I slipped into my black converse and sprinted downstairs, grabbing my keys and phone.

“Are you ready noona?” Shinglee asked from the door.

“Yep! Let’s go. I’ll be back soon Mom!” I heard her yell goodbye before yelling at Michael. I chuckled and pulled the door closed. “Want a piggy-back ride?” I switched back to Korean now that I was alone with Shingie. It really was such a pretty language.

Sure!” I smiled and got down on one knee. He climbed onto my back. Though Shinglee was fourteen, he looked twelve. He was a small, cute Korean boy with big, dark eyes and an angelic smile.

Hey Shingie. Do you like my sister?”

“Yeah, she’s nice.” I giggled. Oh the innocence of children.

No, I mean do you like her?” He was quiet for a minute as I walked.

Yeah, I have a crush on her.” I smiled.

Knew it. Alright, down you get.” He hopped off and stood there for a minute. “Shinglee.”

Yes, noona?” he looked up at me and I laid my hand on his shoulder.

I’m going to Korea tomorrow and I’m not sure how long I’ll be gone. I also don’t know when Aiden will be leaving again. I’m going to ask you to do something. Take care of my sister. Protect her for me, okay?” Shinglee looked up at me with determined eyes.

Yes noona. I’ll take care of her.” I smiled and pulled the boy into a hug.

Be safe Shingie. I’ll call and write to you when I can.” I let the boy go and he stepped back and bowed.

Goodbye noona.” He righted himself and ran into his house.

Goodbye Shingie…” I was shocked by how said I felt knowing how I would not see him for a long time. I shook my head and jogged back to my house. “I’m back!” I yelled, opening the door.

“Yay! Sis! We’re going to the mall!” Abby danced over to me . She stopped and danced to the music playing in her headphones. I recognized Eunhyuk’s dance solo in “Wonderboy.” When she finished, I clapped for her.

Well done Abby! That was awesome. Hyukkie would be proud” Abby gave me a weird look. “What?”

“Autumn…I can’t understand you again.”

“Oh! Sorry!” Juggling English and Korean could be very difficult. “I said you did a good job and Hyukkie would be proud. She beamed up at me.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Yay!” She pumped the air. I smiled and patted her head.

“Yah! Aiden! Let’s get this show on the road!” He poked his head up from behind the couch. “What are you doing back there?” He just grinned at me.

“Look what I found!” he came out and opened his hands. A small gardener snake writhed in his hands. A bright orange stripe graced its back.

“It’s so pretty! But you better get it out of here before mom sees it.” Aiden nodded and took it out back. “Mom! Aiden and I are ready to go.” She moved into the den, ready to go as well.

“Michael! Abby! Let’s go!” she yelled. They ran into the den, as energetic as I’ve ever seen them. I laughed and we were off to the mall.

 

When we go to the mall, we all piled out of the car.

“Aiden! Let’s go to the pet store!” Abby begged, tugging on his hand. He smiled kindly and picked her up.

“Okay kid. Let’s go.” They headed off, Mom in tow.

“I’ll take Michael to Hot Topic, Mom.” She looked back at me.

“Okay. We’ll meet up for lunch at noon.”

“Sounds good!” I waved and grabbed Michael’s hand. “Shall we?” He nodded and pulled his hand out of mine, stuffing them in his black jeans.

“Fine.” He turned and started walking. I just watched him for a minute, confused at his rejection, before following him.

“Michael…” I said quietly when I caught up to him. He looked at me from under his pitch black fringe. “You’re upset. Talk to me?” He let out a deep sigh. It wasn’t a frustrated sight. No, I had heard that one enough to know what it sounds like. This sigh was different. He was sad, trying not to cry.

“Aiden just got back from his enlistment, and a day later you’re leaving. Why can’t we all just be together?!” He said in frustration. His voice cracked on the last syllable. I placed my hand on his shoulder. He was shaking and his fists were clinched at his sides, trembling. I got in front of him and lifted his chin. Tears were b in his black ringed eyes.

“Oh Michael. Please don’t cry.” I wrapped him in a hug. “Shh. You don’t need to cry. I’ll come back. You’ll see me again. I promise. I could never abandon y’all.” I felt him hug me back and nod into my shoulder.

“I know. I just don’t want you to go.” There were times when I forgot Michael’s actual age. He always acted so grown up, but looking at him shaking in my arms reminded me that he was only fifteen.

“C’mon bro. Let’s go get you another My Chem shirt.” We headed into the dimly lit store. I flipped through some skeletal patterned stuff while Michael tried on some clothes. I found a ring that was a chain of small skulls with red eyes. “This is cool!” I held onto it. Mine! Score.

“Got the one I want sis.” Michael tapped my shoulder.

“Okay, let’s go.” After we checked out, we headed out to the food court. I was humming “U” as we walked, doing little dance steps here and there. Michael just watched in amusement. When we got to the food court, I started scanning the crowd for the rest of our family and one face in particular caught my attention. 

 

~~~~~~

Aaaannnddd there's chapter one! Stick with me guys, I know there are no SuJu members in this chapter, but they will be ariving shortly.

Autumn: Do I get to meet Kyuhyun and Sungmin? Please say yes!

F0rever15: Go away. You'll find out soon enough.

Autumn: Aww!!!

Aiden: Quit pouting Autumn. You at least get to meet them and be in the rest of the story.

F0rever15: I NEVER SAID I WAS TAKING YOU OUT OF THE STORY AIDEN!! *ehem* Sorry about them.  Anyways. I'll try and update this either once a week or once every other week. Let us know what you think! Thanks everyone! Oh, and the gif has noting to do with the story, I just find it funny and adorable. :3

Aiden and Autumn: Thank you!