Chapter 4

Tantei Gakuen Q - The New Beginning

General POV
 

Kyuu and Ryuu decided to split the gym and each searched an area. They looked for about 2 hours and yet were unable to find anything except for a gum wrapper near the timer with the knife. It was about dinner time when they decided to leave the place and take a brake. "Hey let's go check on Megu" said Kyuu as he exited the gym. Ryuu didn't say anything and just followed him. 

"Megu, open the door it's us", said Kyuu as he knocked on her door. The boys stood there for quite some time until Megu finally decided to open the door. "Sorry for the wait, I was in the bathroom" said Megu with a big awkward smile, "Did you guys find anything about the case?" The boys entered her room and made themselves comfortable on the carpeted floor. "Well, Ryuu found a gum wrapper but that is as far as we got. Ah! Also, the guy was Yamaguchi Ryuta, our sempai". The faces of all three teens saddened. They were used to this kind of cases, however no matter how many time they had to go through someone's death, they always felt a sense of guilt and sadness. Megu stood up and made her way to her desk, she picked up her cellphone and started texting someone. "What are you doing?" asked Ryuu. "I'm texting Karin, she was Yamaguchi's girlfriend after all. I wonder if she is fine".

"I wouldn't if I were you" Ryuu paused, "in this type of situations people prefer to have some time alone to... think through things. Talk to her tomorrow".

Megu understood what Ryuu meant and when she was about to put her phone down, it rang. It was Kazuma. "Hey Kazuma" she said while putting him on speaker mode. "Megu! Finally someone bothers to respond", the other two boys checked their phone and realized that they had a few missed calls from him, "Sorry Kazuma" they both said at the same time. "Anyway, getting to the point. I looked about this Yamaguchi guy. It turns out that he is in the top three smartest students in your school. However I also found some signs of cheating. I checked his inbox and there were many mails between him and some Mr Nakajima, who I believe is your english department head" reported Kazuma.

"So? what did those emails say?", Kyuu asked insistently.

"Im getting there! Well apparently he changed his grades several times and gave him a higher score in exchange for money"

"Well, we could assume that the person that killed Yamaguchi was aware of this problem and maybe tried to take revenge" suggested Megu.

"But with this is really not enough to work with" The three of them sat silently with Kazuma at the other side of the phone.

"Let's split around school tomorrow and see if we can find any rumors regarding Yamaguchi, that will probably help" said Kyuu. "Okayy then, I will call you guys again if i find anything else" Kazuma hung up after the others said good bye.

The boys were about to leave the room when Ryuu suddenly stopped and said "Are you sure you will be alright?" he had worried eyes. A faint blush appeared in Megu's face, "Yes I will, thank you for worrying" she smiled, feeling gratefull that he cared for her. This time the boys really left.


Kyuu's POV

"Hey Kenta! Do you know anything about Yamaguchi sempai?" I asked curiously. Kenta was known for being on the persons that knew almost every single rumor in the school. It was a pretty good place to start to find about anything about Yamaguchi. "Well, he had a girlfriend, Karin I think it was. Also, did you hear about his results?!"

"What about his results? Doesn't he have almost the highest scores in school" i said with a puzzled face. Doesn't EVERYONE in this school know that?

"Well yeah but that is because he is a total fraud. He used to live right next door to me. One night I heard him make a phone call and he was saying how he didn't have to do anything for his academics since money would resolve it all for him" before I was able to ask another question Kenta said "Sorry Kyuu but i have to go, I have to meet with someone, if you know what I mean" he winked and left. Well, now we know that some people were aware of his cheating. Now I am just wondering who knows. 

Hey isn't that Karin? Maybe I should talk to her. She should know something more about Yamaguchi sempai. I approached her slowly. She didn't face me until she realized that I was walking towards her. Her face looked rather panicked but it quickly disappeared. Was that really panick? "Hey Karin, how are you feeling" I asked while I placed one hand on her shoulder. She looked at me and her eyes soon became watery. Oh no please don't cry, please don't cry. "Not really well Kyuu, but I appreciated that you asked" she said. Now that I think about it, I really like Karin, not that type of liking, but as a friend. She seems like someone really trustworthy and innocent. "I am sorry to be asking you this right now but we are trying to find about what happened to Yamaguchi. Would you mind if I asked you some things?" I asked, unsure of how she would take my request. "Sure, I would be glad to help" was her response, although I could see in her eyes that she would prefer not to talk. But I really needed the answers.

"Were you aware that Yamaguchi was cheating? You know, that he actuallyy bought his grades?"

Karin's eyes suddenly became big. "What are you talking about? He spent  most of his time studying! Why would he have the need to buy his grades when he is totally and competely capable of doing perfectly fine by himself?!" she responded, rather shaken by what she had just found out.


Megu's POV

I walked around the school, often through the corridors of the third floor, where the classes of the seniors were located. "That stupid Yamaguchi! I told him to keep steady!" I turned around to see where that comment was coming from. It was one of the seniors, Morimoto Shunsuke. He was with two other boys. I hid behind the door and kept listening to their conversation. "I told him not to go crazy with the night clubs. Last week, when Karin found him making out with other girls she got so pissed she almost punched him in the face" Morimoto continued his conversation with the other two guys but it soon diverted from Yamaguchi. Well, so it seems that he was not only cheating at school but also on his girlfriend. What a dousche. I came out of my hide out and let a small scream out when I found that Ryuu was right in front of me. We both slightly jumped because of the sudden encounter. "Megu! What were you doing?" Ryuu said, with a surprised face that soon calmed down. "Sorry Ryuu, I was listening to the sempais' conversation. Apparently Yamaguchi was cheating on Karin and she found out last week." Ryuu looked stared at me for a moment and then said "Interesting, I was just talking to some girls and they told me that Karin had told them how happy they were with each other recently". That is actually kind of strange, these are two completely different versions. I wonder which one is the real one.

"Anyway, lets go look for Kyuu and tell him what we found out" I said, walking toward the stairs. As we were going down I felt someone starring at us. Have you ever had that kind of feeling that someone is looking at you, but when you turn there is no one there, well in this case, when I looked upward there was someone there but with a creepy mask. Suddenly a plant pot fell, straight at me. I was rather slow to react but then something tackled me from behind, and that thing and I both rolled down the stairs. Ouch, these things have to stop happening to me. I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was a really bright light. Suddenly Ryuu was right in front of me. Well, to decribe it properly, we was right on top of me. "Are you okay Megu?!" I tried to move, but I couldn't, after all he was kind of squishing me on the ground. "Heavy" was the only word I was able to say. Ryuu suddenly moved away and helped me up. "Yeah I think I am, but who was that?!" I was about to run up when Ryuu suddenly hel my hand, stopping me. "Leave it, he might have been long gone. Let's go find Kyuu first. Can you walk?" I could see in Ryuu's eyes that he was worried. "I think I can. Come on, lets go"

Ryuu's POV

Well so apparently there was nothing wrong between Yamaguchi and Karin. I guess it was something else then. I wonder where the others are, probably they found something. I was walking down the third year's corridor when suddenly Megu poped out of nowhere. What the hell?! Where did she come from? "Megu! What were you doin?" I asked, still a little surprised. "Sorry Ryuu, I was listening to the sempai's conversation. Appareently Yamaguchi was cheating on Karin and she found out last week". That's weird. According to what the other girls told me, they were completely fine. Judging from the fact that sempai was talking casually about it to his friends might mean that his version is real. Eh, so either those girls lied to me... or Karin lied to her friends. Then I realized that I was blindly starring at Megu. "Interesting, I was just talking to some girls and they told me that Karin had told them how hapy they were with each other recenty". 

"Anyway, lets go look for Kyuu and tell him what we found out" she said. I followed her down the stairs. Suddenly, Megu turned to face up and so did I, following her actions to see what she was trying to look at. A person with a devil's mask was the first thing I saw. The second thing was a plant pot falling form above us, right at Megu. Oh no, she isn't moving at all. I stepped forward and tackled her. We both rolled down the stairs. "Megu!", her eyes were closed. I was lying righ on top of her, face to face. She is so beautiful. "Are you okay Megu?!" I asid, worried at the fact that her eyes were still closed and she wasn't answering me. Maybe I put too much force on that tackle. "Heavy" I heard her say. My worried expression relaxed a little. I stood up, lifting my weight from her and then I helped her to get up. "Yeah I think I am but who was that?!" I held her hand when I saw that she was about to chase after the devil. "Leave it, he might have been long gone. Let's go find Kyuu first. Can youu walk?" Her hand was soft and petit. It really makes me feel like holding it and never letting go.

"I think I can. Come on lets go" she said.

Megu's POV

We walked through the school, looking for Kyuu, still holding hands. At the beginning it was slightly awkward but when i tried to let go I felt his grip become stronger. Why isn't he letting my hand go? Oh no, I feel like I am in one of those awkward situations again. What should I do. Think Megu, Think! Even though I have to admit that I sort of enjoy this feeling. I tighten my grip as well and I think I saw a faint smile cross his face. What was that? Is he enjoying this as well?

We kept walking, holding hands until we found Kyuu. He wa sitting inside the classroom. Before we went in, Ryuu let go of my hand. Hmm... it would have been nice if it had lasted a little longer. But I have to focus. We are here for something else. "Kyuu, what have you found" I heard Ryuu say. Kyuu seemed a little disturbed when he saw us. "When did you guys come in? I didn't notice at all". He's distracted and in his own world, as always. "Never mind that, but the fact that you are thinking so mch must mean that you have found something right?", Ryuu knew Kyuu too well. 

"Well, yeah. But I am not sure" There was a brief pause. It was as if Kyuu was thinking whether or not her should tell us what he found out. "I talked to Karin and she was totally shocked when she heard that Yamaguchi was buying his grades. Then when I asked her about their personal relationship she wouldn't stop crying. I understand that she is extremely sad about Yamaguchi's death but, she was totally lying to me" What? She was lying to Kyuu? Why would she have to? Okay, now I am extremely lost.