Chapter 7

Tantei Gakuen Q - The New Beginning

Kyuu's POV

Out of all of things, why a haunted house?!

"And that is what has been decided. So we need everyone to make sure to help and organize everything. We are definitely getting the prize for the best class project this year!" said the class president with a look of determination shinning in his eyes. 

"Hey Kyuu! This is going to be so exciting! I already have so many ideas: everything is pitch black, you can hear thunder and rain, and while they are walking through the house BOO!" shouted Megu. Her action was so unexpected I slightly jumped from my seat but unfortunatelly couldn't make it back safely and instead landed first on the ground. Even though I was in pain, the only thing I could hear was Megu's loud laugh.

"You can be so mean sometimes you know?" I said while trying to recover from my painful fall. "I think you might be hanging out too much with Ryuu".

"Ha! and you are telling me that when you are the one that goes to school with him, has lunch with him and even lives with him!" responded Megu.

Suddenly Megu turned her head abruptly towards the window. She simply stared. "Is there something wrong?" 

"I-... I felt someone watching me". Ever since that incident about The Widow in the girls' dorm I noticed that Megu has been feeling uneasy. As if she was afraid that the ghost was looking especifically for her. Maybe I should...

"Oi". Megu and I turned our faces towards the direction which the sound was coming from. It was Ryuu. He was standing by the door of our classroom, leaning on his left side. "How much longer are you guys going to stay for?"

Ah right. Today we were going out. The five of us. It was a plan Ryuu and I had discussed with Kazuma and Kenta to try to distract Megu a little. Our destination was ---> the amusement park.


General POV

It was 6:15 pm when they all met at the recently inagurated amusement park. "You guys are late!" complained Kazuma when he saw Ryuu, Kyuu and Megu. "Sorry, it's just that Megu was soooo slow" said Kyuu, earning him a punch on the arm from his female friend. She looked around and saw that there was an extra person with them.

"Sorry guys, forgot to present you, this is Haruka Matsumura, my girlfriend" said Kenta proudly, especially from those last two words. They all said their greetings and proceeded to go into the park.

For the next two hours the six of them got onto as many rides as they could, from the rollercoaster, to the merry-go-round, to the spinning swings (AN: I have no idea what they are called...). But that did not stop them from continuing having fun. Next stop, was the haunted house. 

"Kyuu! Make sure to take note" Megu winked at her friend while saying this with an enourmous smile. "I have heard that this is one of the scariest haunted houses! We can get many ideas from here"

"Ehh... So your class is making a haunted house ha..." said Kinta with a hint of nostalgia.

In order to go into the house they had to be in pairs because there was a maximum availability for two people per cart. They could go single, but no one except for maybe Ryuu looked very convinced about that option. Kenta and Haruka went in first. They were holding hands very sweetly the whole time they had been in the amusement park. "So, how are we going to split?" asked Kyuu, making eye contact with his three friends. There was no discussion about the way they were going to set things: rock, paper, scissors. "Jan, ken, pon!". The results were clear: two scissors and two rocks. Kazuma and Kyuu jumped into the second cart, leaving Megu and Ryuu in the last one. 

At this point Megu wasn't really sure about whether she was more nervous about the haunted house or going in with Ryuu. 

The ride started and three carts went in one after the other. As expected, it was pitch black inside. Like a typical haunted house you could hear the sound of people screaming and some hanging limbs were visible from time to time. Sometimes things would even pop out of nowhere, resulting in acute screams comming from Kyuu and Kazuma. What was unexpected was the fact that the ride stopped suddenly. 

"Ehhhhh! Why are we stopping?! What's going on?" shouted Kyuu desperately while hugging Kazuma as tightly as possible. 

"We are encountering some technical difficulties, the seats will unluck in a moment, please exit the building through the emergency exit" said a female voice from a loudspeaker that was not visible. Their eyes were getting used to the darkness, allowing them to see more details of the place. They were in the centre of an obscure dome with dead vegatation, a dim chandelier and paintings of what you could say high class people looking miserable in their tight clothing. If the ride had continued then they would proceed to enter a big metal door decorated with skulls. The emergency exit was meanwhile exactly next to it. As the seats unlocked, Haruka, Kenta, Kyuu and Kazuma started to make their way out.

"Why isn't this openning?" asked Megu a little irritated. She and Ryuu tried everything they could to unlock the seat but it was useless. Suddenly the ride started again. "Oi you two! Get out of there" said Kenta. "We can't! The seat won't unlock" responded Megu. 

"This is not working. We will just meet you guys at the end of the ride!" shouted Ryuu as he and Megu entered the metal doors and closed behind them. 

Click a small sound was heard. The seats unlocked. "Great, why now?" complained Megu as the ride started to spin. At first it was a gentle spin but it eventually got faster and faster. Megu was being chrushed by Ryuu who inevitable was shifting to her side because of the spinning motion.

Ryuu's POV

There is definitely something wrong with this, everything is working out too suspiciously, as if it had been all planned. I tried my best to not crush Megu with my weight but it was getting harder and harder to hold myself from all that spinning. I placed my hand behind her to give me more support. This resulted in a awkward hug position from which neither of us moved away from. As I closed in a little more, she wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me tightly until the cart finally stopped spinning. 

"I am- not feeling very well" I heard her mutter with a quiet voice. I patted her head gently.

"Minami Megumi-chaaan". The voice had come once again from the loudspeaker that was not visible. It was the sort of voice that would give little children a horrible nightmare: squeaky, loud and broken. At this point all of the lights were off and all of a sudden a spot light appeared in front of us. We were in something that looked like a theater. The spotlight was shinning brightly, pointing exactly at the centre of the stage. It turned off but then in again and this time there was a woman stading there. She had long, black hair. Her skin was pale, almost white. She was wearing an old kimono, half torn, half bleached... was that, blood on it? What was most disturbing was her body. From the sections where the kimono was half torn you could see her limbs, her skin... her bones. She was so skinny it felt as if you could break her with a simple touch. Her fingers were bony and long. Disgusting. However, to mismatch that her face was actually beautiful, to some extent. Her eyes were dark and penetrating, when our visions crossed I felt a chill go down my back. I hugged Megu tighter. Then I noticed when she started to speak again. was big, revealing sharp decaying teeth, or what was left of them. 

"We finally get to meet" she said with that creepy voice again. I was so distracted by the new character in front of us that I failed to notice how much Megu was trembling in my arms. I thighten my grip, basically pulling her whole body towards me now. Her face crashed to my chest.

Megu's POV

I felt Ryuu's arms around me. That made me feel safer, but the fear inside me kept growing. The more I stared into that woman's eyes the more my fear grew. 

"Who are you" asked Ryuu with deep voice. 

"Ah, I am glad that you ask Amakusa Ryuu" by the time she had said Ryuu's name her voice had deepened. It was not squeaky nor broken any more. Instead she sounded like a normal woman who you would have thought of as beautiful if you had only heard her voice and never seen her. "But I will not answer that, it is just a waste of my time. Instead, I would like to have a little chat with my dear Megu" she said smiling.

Suddenly I felt extra hands touching me. I shouted in despair as I noticed that we were not alone. More hands started to appear, separating Ryuu and I. They held him still on the cart while they dragged me onto the stage. "Let her go!" shouted Ryuu deperately, "Let her go!"

I kept on shouting and trying to free myself from whoever was holding me. Failed. I was on stage. Closer to her. Much closer than I would have prefered. My wrists were tighten with chains to a wall. There was nowhere else I could go. I turned and saw Ryuu's face on the cart. His gaze was something new. I had never seen him so... worried. My eyes started to tear.

"Now, now..." the woman walked closer to me. "Don't come near me" I shouted desperately. She lifted her arm and reached out for my face. I could feel her cold and rough touch on my skin. "You trully are beautiful" her face got closer and closer. "But what would happen if..." I felt a sharp edge plastered on my left cheek. My eyes opened widely. I started screaming again once I felt the sharp tool moving, creating a cut down my left cheek. She stopped and backed away. Then I saw it. That sharp thing was one of her nails. It had some blood on it. She it off and showed a face of exitement. She started to laugh like a maniac. My tears wouldn't stop flowing down. I could see Ryuu was still trying to free himself. I closed my eyes. Still listening to her wicked laugh. Then it suddenly hit me. This... this has happened before? The laugh, the chains, the blood. But.. why can't I remember. 

Ryuu's POV.

"AAAHHHH" I heard Megu's scream. I felt something in my heart break a little. The woman was standing in front of her so I couldn't really see what was going on. When she finally backed away, then it was clear. I saw blood dripping down from Megu's face. the cut was thin but long. She was crying in anguish. That despicable woman was now the blood of her nail. This is disgusting. I felt something else break inside me. 

Suddenly she started laughing. Now she seemed like she had finally lost it. "Let her go you *itch!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. She stopped laughing.

"Now Amakusa Ryuu". She jumped off stage and approched me. "This is just a warning. But be ware because I will come back for her". Her devilish smile grew until the lights shut off. When they turned back on I realized I was free now. I ran upstage and saw Megu on lying on the ground unconcious. There was still blood drooping down her face. I knelt on the ground and picked up her upper half, hugging her tightly to my chest. 

She's going to pay. I stood up and carried Megu bridal style to the nearest exit door. I walked out and saw the rest waiting outside. They were laughing at each other until they saw me coming. 

"Megu!" shouted Kyuu and ran towards us as so did the rest. "What happened in there Ryuu?" asked Kenta, still holding Haruka's hand. 

"I will explain later. For now let's go to a hospital" I said quickly.