Chapter 2

Tantei Gakuen Q - The New Beginning

 

Kyuu, Ryuu and Megu stared out the window, looking for anything suspicious. Nothing happened. The weather seemed to be a perfect autumn day, the wind blowing, the leaves falling, no dark whatever things walking around… Megu turned toward Kyuu and said, “Maybe you mistook someone”, while trying to convince herself at the same time that Kyuu was wrong. “Yeah, maybe…” murmured Kyuu while still looking outside. “We have to go now, it’s already 3 and we have assembly. Let’s go” Ryuu stood up and forced Kyuu to face the exit. Megu followed next to them.

During assembly, all the students were lined up in their form rooms. Kyuu and Megu were in the same line while Ryuu was at the one next to theirs. The principal walked up to the stage as usual and made some announcements. “Now last, but not least, I want to inform you that the vice-principal has been involved in a minor accident, however due to his injuries he will not be able to come to school for then following months”. Everyone looked shocked. The vice principal was one of the teachers that the students liked the most because of how chill and easy going adult he was. He also gave great advices when someone needed it. Some students would see him more as a friend than a teacher. “Therefore”, the principal continued, “let me introduce the new vice principal. His name is Mr Okamoto. Please give him a round of applause”. As everyone clapped involuntarily, the new vice principal made his way slowly up the stage. He was tall and had a pretty good body for someone his age. He was probably around his 50s. Behind him walked a woman with long black hair. “Good afternoon students. My name is Mr Okamoto and I will be now your new school vice principal. This person next to me, is Mrs Yamada, she is my personal secretary and will now also be the conduct and behavior supervisor.” The vice principal continued with his looooong speech about wanting to change the school and yara yara yara. Everyone eventually lost interest after 30 seconds.

Suddenly, the lights in the Gym (where assembly usually took place) went out. Some light from outside still shone in the place but it was still pretty dark. The students started talking between themselves until BAM!

 

Ryuu’s POV

The lights went out. Well this is the best time for this to happen. I hope this will make assembly end early. BAM! What was that? I turned to face Megu and Kyuu who were right next to me. Their faces looked worried, just like mine did. We saw a group of students make a circle around something. I pushed my way between the crowd until there it was. A dead person. The body looked awkward. And when I say awkward I mean that some of the person’s body parts weren’t the way they were supposed to be. He was kind of… twisted. The scene was grotesque. I turned my head and Megu was beside me. Her eyes showed immense fear. “Megu!” I pulled her hand and hugged her, making her face rest on my chest. That way she wouldn’t be able to see the body. She was shivering.

 

Megu’s POV

I made my way into the crowd. I knew something bad had happened but I didn’t expect this. The body on the floor. It was like it wasn’t even human. The … everything was just … wrong. I started to panic. I started to remember all those things that I didn’t want to remember. Images that were better to be forgotten. But I couldn’t. They overflowed me, taking all the calmness in my mind until I felt someone pull me. My face crashed into something warm and cozy. It was Ryuu. “Don’t look”. I couldn’t help but shiver. He hugged me tighter. “Kyuu, I’m taking her out of here first and I’ll call the police. You get everyone out of here”. “Megu are you okay? You are getting really pale” I heard Kyuu say. “Yes go on ahead. I’ll deal with the stuff here”.

Once outside, we were still hugging. “Thank you for that” I said, even though I think he could barely hear me because I couldn’t really speak out loud. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll take you back to your room. Sleep for a while and I will help Kyuu”. We headed toward the girls dormitory.

 

Kyuu’s POV

Finally everyone left. That took longer than I expected. This person. I feel so bad for him. I can’t imagine how excruciating the pain must have been. This person was dropped from the ceiling of the gym. I went up to look for any clues. When I walked right above where the body was, there was a rope attached to some metal columns and a small device that looked like a timer and a knife. So that’s how it was. He must have been brought either during classes or last night, but judging by the fact that the gym didn’t stink when we came in, he must have been brought during classes. I hope Megu is okay. Sometimes it really pains me when I see her enter that state. I walked down again and the police was already here. “Hey Kyuu, we meet again huh?” said the inspector. I told him my deductions but because the person’s face was almost destroyed, I couldn’t really tell who it was; therefore I couldn’t reach any conclusion. “It’s okay, leave that to me and I’ll investigate his identity. If you find something else tell me!” He walked out.

I should probably check on Megu for a while. Right now I have done everything I can here. I wonder what’s the deal with Megu by the way. She has been acting all weird whenever Ryuu is close.