Custard Tarts

Please Like Me

 

“Aw gee,” Kyungsoo thinks aloud.


He’s standing in front of the refrigerator, the door handle in his hand. Yes, literally in his hand. Somehow, in the process of opening the door to retrieve two eggs and two rashers of bacon (his mother can grab something to eat later), Kyungsoo had somehow managed to break the fridge.


Kyungsoo was sure fridges couldn’t be broken, at least not the handles.


But now he figures he’s probably wrong.


“So, what do you want… for breakfast?” Kyungsoo asks awkwardly, turning in his spot, door handle still sitting awkwardly in his palm. Kai occupies a chair on the opposite side of the kitchen counter, feet tapping away at the floor as he stares at Kyungsoo awkwardly. Kai remains silent.


“There’s cereal in the cupboard somewhere!” Kyungsoo exclaims, snapping his finger.


“You need milk for cereal,” Kai interjects.


“Oh.”


The pair stands awkwardly in silence, until Kyungsoo’s phone squawks. Exclaiming loudly, Kyungsoo throws his arms up in the air in surprise, the fridge handle flying the short distance between Kyungsoo and Kai’s face.


“OUCH!”


Kyungsoo silently apologizes, bringing the phone up to his ear. He hustles across to the counter, leaning across it to the end of Kai’s nose softly. He calls out a soft hello into the phone before almost somersaulting up and over the bench and onto the tiled floor below.


It’s a wonder his mother hasn’t woken up yet.


“Hi, it’s Luhan,” Kyungsoo hears, and suffice to say the short Korean teen visibly pales and almost falls over on top of Kai for about the tenth time that morning (the trip down the hallway had been quite interesting suffice to say, what with Kai almost impaling himself on the pot plant).


“Luhan??”


“I broke up with Sehun.”


“You what?”


“I’m coming over.”


Before Kyungsoo can protest, the phone is disconnected. He almost hurls it out the window, but he remembers that Kai is just sitting there, and Kyungsoo stares at the taller, darker skinned male staring at him.


It’s quite unnerving, now that he thinks about it.


Kai has nice plump lips.


And a nice face.


And nice hair.


And wow, the guy should never have to wear a shirt ever again, because those toned muscles…


Kyungsoo shakes his head, trying his best to will his thoughts to skate around those images his mind is conjuring up images of Kai . In his bed. On the couch. Kitchen bench. Shower?


Bad, Kyungsoo thinks to himself. Not necessary. They hadn’t even done the do yet.


Kyungsoo bites his lip, sending Kai a nervous glance.


“Err, so you remember Luhan from the other day?” Kai just stares.


“Well, he’s coming over. He… and Sehun… broke up?”


And just like that, the kettle pings and the door bell goes off and somehow his phone is squawking again and really it’s just too early for all of this to be going on at once. Kyungsoo dreads his walk down the hallway to the front door, but he is pleasantly surprised when he meets a rather familiar face.


A familiar face that had brought along what looks like custard tarts.


“Sehun?”


“He called you, didn’t he?” Sehun grumbles, dumping his bag down at the doorway. He storms off to the kitchen, and upon noticing the lack of a door handle on the refrigerator, and the red mark across Kai’s left cheek, bursts into spontaneous fits of laughter. He grabs a mug out of a nearby cupboard and tosses in a teabag, almost spilling half a litre of scorching water on his fingers.


“You and Luhan broke up?” Kai asks quietly, glancing between Sehun and Kyungsoo. Sehun merely shrugs, taking a sip and instantaneously burning his tongue.


Awkward silence.


“Uh, Sehun. Luhan’s coming over…” Kyungsoo announces.


“He what?” Sehun shrieks.


“He sounded a right mess. What exactly happened?” Kyungsoo continues, unaware that his best friend is quite ready to rip his head off.


“Is there nowhere in this world Luhan free?” Sehun asks. Kyungsoo makes a face at him before stealing a custard tart from Sehun’s little paper bag and shoving it into his mouth, drooling all over himself in the process. Sehun looks at him with disgust, eyes going between Kai and Kyungsoo.


“Hang on,” he says, turning his mug in his hands.


“Kai, what the are you doing in Kyungsoo’s house so early in the morning?” he asks.


Kyungsoo pales, not able to meet Sehun’s scrupulous gaze. He holds the custard tart between his fingers and walks into the cupboard, emptying one of the shelves onto the kitchen floor.


He then proceeds to scrunch himself up at awkward angles, pulling the door closed behind him after he finds himself seated (slightly uncomfortably) on one of the shelves. Somehow the custard has ended up on the end of his nose and he’d like to scratch it off, but, to Kyungsoo’s chagrin, he finds himself practically stuck.


“We went on a date last night,” Kai explains, as if it’s obvious.


“Did you do it?”


“No, we didn’t have yet,” Kai announces loudly.


Kyungsoo’s breathing halts as he hears Sehun chuckles, and he wishes he had the foresight to keep the cupboard door open so he could judge the thoughts that must be racing through his friend’s mind.


Which must have been interesting considering his mother’s awful timing.


“What? ? Who the hell are you?” she exclaims, pointing an accusatory finger at the darker teen.


“Hey Mrs Do,” Sehun greets with a laugh.


“This is Kai. A friend of mine. And Kyungsoo’s…”


“Boyfriend,” Kai interjects.


“Oh?” Mrs Do says casually.


“You don’t mind your son being gay?” Sehun asks in surprise. Mrs Do merely shrugs.


“Sehun, dear. He’s friends with you,” she says pointedly. Sehun raises an eyebrow at her, thinks to himself for a minute, and nods.


“You’re right. If he’s friends with me, there’s no way he can’t not be gay.”


“Well then. Have you two by any chance seen my son?”


But before either can respond, Mrs Do answers her own question. Kyungsoo comes toppling out of the cupboard with a face much redder than that cherry on top of his custard tart.

 

 


I'm super sorry everyone for the long hiatus! I've just been so busy with uni and it's been killing me to get all those deadlines done for uni let alone have time to actually sit down for a decent amount of time and actually write!

The next two weeks will remain super busy for me, seeing as I'm going into finals, but I'm going to try my best to update my stories as much as I possibly can for you guys! I feel horrible not being able to write... ;__;

Thanks for sticking around so long, I hope it's well worth the wait!