Sundae (Pilot)

Please Like Me

 

It’s a bright Sunday, and Kyungsoo is sitting on a deck chair by a freshly mown lawn out the front of a small café, waiting slightly impatiently for that amazing-looking albeit slightly expensive, almost twenty dollars, ten scoop chocolate sundae ice cream he had ordered from the, well, at least in his opinion, mildly attractive waiter.

A girl sits on the opposite side of the table, yellow sundress fluttering in all its lacy glory around her ankles, her dark brown hair wavy and drifting down her back.


When the sundae is unceremoniously dropped onto the table between the pair, Kyungsoo lets out a sigh of relief, picking up his small spoon, lips tugging upwards in a smile as the almost twenty dollars worth of ice cream sits appetizingly in the heat of the sun.


“Incredible!” Kyungsoo exclaims with glee, sinking his spoon into the top of the sundae. He scoops a bit of vanilla with a drizzle of chocolate topping and sticks it between his lips, letting out a sigh of contentment as it melts on his tongue. Perfect.


“Kyungsoo, we need to talk about something...”


Oh , Kyungsoo thinks to himself. If only puberty had done a better job. He’s almost twenty now, and his cheeks don’t seem to want to grow out of that cute cabbage patch doll phase that all of his friends had seemingly gone through. His cheeks are smooth and his skin is quite nice and pale, at least in his opinion, but still, much to Kyungsoo’s chagrin, he’s at least half a head shorter than everyone else. Puberty could have done a better job, but no.


“Oh,” Kyungsoo says, dropping his spoon.


“No… no…”


“I think we need to break up.”


The girl has no smile on her face, instead the familiar frown that Kyungsoo has become accustomed to. There was always something too good to be true about Yuri. She was so sweet and perfect and loving to him, but he had never truly felt the same way about any of the girls he’d dated thus far.


“Oh no,” Kyungsoo repeats, watching the ice cream melt.


“I just… I feel like we’ve drifted…” she continues, eyeing him intently. Kyungsoo blinks a few times, letting the words sink in.


“Well that’s not good at all…” he manages to choke out.


“Also you’re gay.”


Kyungsoo’s eyebrows rise until they hide beneath his hairline. He leans back in his chair in surprise, a look of hurt flashing through his eyes. He looks down at the sundae, watching as it dribbles all over the napkin.


“What? No… No I’m not…”


“You’re probably gay, Kyungsoo.”


“N…No I’m not…”


“I mean we can still be friends, if you like. I mean, we’re not really that different,” Yuri continues, flicking her hair back over her shoulder. She taps her manicured fingers impatiently on the table, looking up at Kyungsoo with nothing but kindness in her eyes. Kyungsoo gives her a nod, leaning over to pick at the sundae.


“Well this nineteen dollar sundae now seems ing humiliating…” he mumbles.


Yuri watches with a blank stare as Kyungsoo picks up his spoon again, snaking it into the frozen mess that has melted during their short conversation before dragging it to his lips. He repeats this until only one scoop remains, little care for the fact that his teeth are chattering and that was definitely not a healthy amount of ice cream to consume in a single sitting.