Snickers

Please Like Me



Kyungsoo drags himself into an all too familiar office, dumping his grocery bags by the door as he plops himself down on Sehun’s desk. He’s already familiarised himself with the greyed carpet that has far too many coffee stains in it, it needs a super-powered cleaning product soak or something, so instead, his eyes line up with the post-its that sit stuck to the equally boring pale white walls.


Sehun practically glares at him as he shovels a fork covered in slightly overcooked pasta into his mouth, using his free hand to attempt to close down the page of Google he’s got up on his desktop computer. Kyungsoo’s pretty sure he shouldn’t be googling anything on the job, but it’s not like he’s Sehun’s boss or anything so it really doesn’t matter.


“Watching again?” Kyungsoo asks.


“No?”


His flat mate’s voice sounds more like a question than a simple response to a simple question, so Kyungsoo jumps at the opportunity. He flings his legs off the side of the desk and shoves himself up against the back of Sehun’s black work chair, making groaning sounds as he grinds up against it.


“Work place ual harassment! Work place ual harassment!” he exclaims, running a hand through Sehun’s hair. Sehun merely swats him away, kicking him off the chair before sticking his legs in the place Kyungsoo’s was planted mere seconds before so Kyungsoo resolves in walking across the room and pulling out Sehun’s neighbour’s chair, giggling as he rolls it across the carpet.


“You don’t even work here! This isn’t work place ual harassment, its just normal ual harassment!” Sehun explains, as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world.


“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo asks.


“I’m on my break,” comes the simple explanation.


“Oh my God, Sehun, are you googling giraffes again? Please tell me you’re not! You’re always googling giraffes!”


“I’m not always googling giraffes. Just the last time you came in I was googling giraffes, and I just happen to be googling giraffes again today.” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, clearly not convinced.


“I just think you have some sort of special affinity with giraffes. Like, Sehun. Really.”


“I don’t!”


Kyungsoo goes in for the kill.


“You know what I think? I think it’s because you think… you look like one, but you know… less graceful!”


“Giraffes aren’t graceful!”


“I think they’re surprisingly graceful!”


“No they’re not have you ever seen one pick something up off the floor?”


“I guess you would know seeing as you know… all that… special research!”


Sehun holds his head between his fingers, giving Kyungsoo his usual why the do I know you look before opening up a new page in Word and refreshing his Tumblr tab, which happens to be in the tab next to his giraffe one.


“Yuri said she broke up with you,” he says, giving Kyungsoo a sympathetic glance.


“Yep,” Kyungsoo says, bashing his head against the desk.


“Two years… not exactly the best day to be quite honest. She dumps me, I cut myself shaving… you won’t shut up about giraffes…” Kyungsoo rambles.


“I’ve decided I’m going to break up with Luhan.”


Sehun presses his lips firmly together, and Kyungsoo almost bursts into a fit of spontaneous giggles. He looks serious this time, so Kyungsoo holds his breath, waiting a few seconds before casting Sehun a wary glance.


“Why do you do this to me? We all know you’re not going to… you always say it and you get my hopes up and then you never do.” Kyungsoo says, raising an eyebrow at his flat mate.


“Something always gets in the way.” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes.


“Of course! I think you’re just scared of him!”


“No, seriously!” Sehun complains, glaring at Kyungsoo threateningly.


“Last time I was going to his turtle died and I couldn’t exactly do it then.”


“Of course he owns a ing turtle!”


Owned.”


Kyungsoo’s eyes run over the post-its, eyebrows creasing every now and then as Sehun’s handwriting becomes less and less legible. He is about to return his gaze to the carpet when he feels a hand on the back of his chair, spinning him around. Kyungsoo gasps in surprise, almost falling off the chair. He looks up and a blush threatens its way onto his pudgy cheeks.


“Uh… can I…?”


“Oh, you two haven’t met before. Kai, this is my flat mate Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo, this is Kai,” Sehun says emotionlessly.


All Kyungsoo can do is gasp up at the tall, dark and broodingly handsome figure before him. With perfectly tanned skin, and those strong and muscular arms showing through that sleeveless singlet, Kai looked like a runaway model. His hair was combed and gelled, perched up above his forehead in a quiff that made Kyungsoo, if only slightly, question his uality.


“I think you might be in my chair.”


Oh God, Kyungsoo thinks to himself, an equally ual voice to match that highly ual jawline.


“Oh , sorry!” Kyungsoo says, leaping out of the chair.


He whirls it around so that it’s facing Kai, shuffling back to Sehun’s desk before shoving Sehun’s rarely used stapler off the edge of the desk and perching himself cross-legged on the end of it. He throws a glance across to the other side of the room, watching as this Kai person runs a frustrated hand through his hair, sighing. And Kyungsoo can’t help but think his hair is even better messed up. He blames his hormones for this revelation, of course. Because he is not gay.


Sniffling sounds can be heard from across the room, and Kyungsoo turns to Sehun, eyes wide. He nods his head to the side and Sehun pushes his feet off the desk, gliding across the carpet.


“Are you OK?” he calls. There is a louder and perhaps unattractive sniffle, and Kai lifts his head up, throwing a quick glance to Sehun.


“No, I’m OK. Uh… you don’t… I don’t want to put this on you.” But Kyungsoo’s pretty sure he needs a little attention, craves a little attention. As if on cue, Sehun’s phone starts ringing, and Kyungsoo watches as he fumbles around in his pockets before pulling out the device.


“Oh God, it’s Luhan. I have to get it… sorry…” Sehun hits the answer button, stalking off towards the doorway, leaving behind a silent Kai and a slightly awkward Kyungsoo. Sehun slams the door behind him and Kyungsoo jumps as the velvety sound of Kai’s voice fills the nearly empty room.


“My dad got arrested again.”


“Oh…” Kyungsoo says quietly.


Oh no! Should I… Should I ask you what for or should we just not… yeah let’s just not go there…” Kyungsoo silently curses himself. That sounded forced and insincere. Kai probably thinks he’s some sort of giant prick right now!


“No, don’t mention it,” Kai agrees.


The room falls into dead silence before Kyungsoo can hear that sniffling sound again. He jumps up from his spot on Sehun’s desk and drags himself across the room, draping an arm awkwardly over Kai’s shoulder.


“I just don’t know who to talk to!” Kai sobs, bashing his head against the desk. Kyungsoo looks up in wide eyes, scanning for Sehun, who is, of course, now MIA.


“Sehun keeps chocolate in his top drawer!” Kyungsoo says with a snap of his fingers.


“You know, like… chocolate… I’m sorry it’s not much but it’s the best I’ve got to offer…”


With this, Kai cracks a small smile, rolling around in his chair until he’s facing Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo blushes wildly, showing him a Snickers bar.


“I love Snickers…” Kai says, head tilted to the side. Kyungsoo laughs, throwing the chocolate bar across the room. Kai nods in thanks, tearing the packet open before biting into it, letting out a moan of happiness as the caffeine hits his lips. It is now that Sehun makes his reappearance, phone still attached to his ear.


“Kyungsoo just broke up with Yuri… he’s a mess…”


Meanwhile, Kyungsoo’s mouth is wide and bits of nut and chocolate are stuck between his teeth. A few grunts later, Sehun makes his way back to his desk, sighing loudly.


“Luhan’s coming for dinner.”


Kyungsoo growls, shifting in his seat.


“No! You were supposed to break up with him!”


“I can’t… they kicked him out of his poetry group…”


“He got kicked out of a poetry group?


“He’s upset!” Sehun snaps.


“Come on, that’s no excuse!”


“Fine! I’ll break up with him tonight. Kyungsoo, I swear to God I…” Sehun trails off, noticing the trail of saliva dribbling down Kyungsoo’s chin, and the empty wrapper that sits on his keyboard, bits of chocolate somehow weaving their ways in between the keys.


“Kyungsoo! Are you eating my chocolate?” Sehun growls threateningly, to which Kyungsoo laughs jovially, knowing full well that Sehun’s going to make him scrub the toilet when they get back to the apartment before Luhan arrives.


“Can… can I come to dinner?” Kai asks in a small voice.


The pair snaps their heads towards him, giving each other a glance before nodding.