A Sinking Heart

Diaries Of A Girl

 

I stared at my calendar for a moment. Today's the eighth of February- just 6 more days to the dance... or concert... whatever you want to call it. Six more days to go and I still don't have a date. I my laptop and logged into my MSN messenger.

 

“Unnie, are you up?” I heard my little sister knocking on the door. I groaned and rolled over the bed to get the door.

 

“What, Nana?” I looked at her as if she just wasted my energy by making me get out off bed. I can't help it, once I'm on the bed, it's pretty difficult for me to get off it. It's like my bed loves me.

 

“Are you gonna be at home this Sunday?” She asked.

 

“Sunday.. hmmmm, no. I'm going to a pool party,” I said. “Why?”

 

“It's Dongwoon's birthday, and well.. I wanted us to have dinner, here.. Do you think April would mind?”

 

“Birthday dinner huh?” I smirked, “Better make sure it's a birthday dinner. No birthday for Dongwoonie, or I will kill you, Nana. I will kill the both of you.” I poked her. “Why don't you go ask April if she's home or not? She's downstairs isn't she?”

 

“Yeah, she is. She won't talk to me,” Nana pouted. “I don't know what's up with her.”

 

“I'll check on her. Shouldn't you be going to school now?” I said, glancing at my leather Bonia watch.

 

Now, what is up with April. I went downstairs and headed to the living room, where April is. “April, are you okay?” I asked. April turned around and remained silent. “What's wrong?”

 

“Valentine's Day is approaching and guess what I'm gonna do! I'm gonna rot at home and play RE5 while others are having fun! All of my friends have a damn date and they're asking me to come along to their couple dinner thing with my date. What am I gonna say to them? 'Oh, my date died'. God, this is so frustrating,” she groaned, throwing a pillow. “Worst thing is.. Jiyong cancelled out on me,” she toned down.

 

“He did? THAT BASTARD,” I fumed. What kind of guy asks a girl out and backs out after? “What happened to Junho?”

 

“Seungmi, Junho's my best friend. Plus, he's out of town on that day,” April sighed, “This .”

 

“If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a date to the dance,” I looked at her miserably. “I'm going shopping with Kim for an outfit to Amy's pool party. You wanna come with?”

 

“No thanks, Mi. But do get me some tidbits on your way home,” April said.

 

I nodded. “I'll be back soon.”

 

-

 

“What do you wear to a pool party?” Kim stared at the variety of clothes in front of her.

“You show up in something stylish and then change into a cute bikini later right? No?” I picked out a yellow halter neck dress and a pair of black gladiator heels.

 

“Daesung asked me to the dance,” Kim said.

 

“I KNEW HE WOULD!” I squealed. “Okay, now you have a date and I still don't.”

 

“Awww, don't worry Mi. Someone's gonna take you to the dance soon. I see a cute boy taking you to the dance,” Kim placed her fingers on her temples, as if imitating a psychic.

 

“You can see the future now?” I laughed. “Well let's hope that cutie asks me to the dance soon.”

 

After an hour of shopping, my stomach started grumbling, so I had to drag Kim to Burger King. I had a craving for a large burger anyway. I ordered whatever I wanted and went to an empty seat. And then I started thinking about what happened in the store room the other day- when I fell on top of Nichkhun like a complete retard.

 

“What are you smiling at?” Kim asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

“Nothing,” I bit my lip to refrain myself from smiling again.

 

“Na-uh, there is something. Spill it,” She stared at me.

 

Well I couldn't lie to her, can I? “Alright, fine... so.. the other day, I stayed behind to help out with the decorations right...” I paused. “Let's just get straight to the point. Nichkhun scared the out of me and I fell on him.”

 

“No way. HOW?! LIKE, WERE YOUR FACES TOUCHING?! OH MY GOD!” Kim shouted, almost screaming. I had to calm her down for a bit. “So, were your faces touching?” She toned down.

 

“His face was just an inch away from mine. So close..” I thought about it again, only this time, I smiling twice as bigger and my cheeks were blushing red. “Oh god.”

 

“You're so lucky Mi! You know how many girls out there have their eyes on Nichkhun. And you don't wanna know how many of them are fantasizing about him right now. That dude is like, the most popular guy in school! Popular around the girls, that is. But seriously Seungmi! OH GOD, I THINK I'M GONNA FAINT RIGHT NOW!”

 

My cellphone vibrated on the table. Kim and I both looked at it at the same time. I was about to die when I saw the caller ID- Nichkhun.

 

Kim looked at me and said, “Speak of the devil. PICK IT UP!”

 

I grabbed my cellphone and pressed the answer button, “Hello?” I said.

 

“Seungmi? Uhm, I kind of need some help back here in school. I called Amy but she said that she's busy with the party tomorrow, so she can't come. Taecyeon's going to her place to help her out so I was wondering if you can help over here. Can you?”

 

“Yeah, could you hold on your a second? Just a second,” I asked, pressing the mute button immediately after he said 'Okay'.

 

“What does he want?” Kim asked.

 

“He wants me to go back to school and help him out. Would I be a bad friend if I went and leave you here?”

 

“NO! HE WANTS YOU THERE?! YOU GO THERE WOMAN! GO GO GO! I'LL GET A CAB FOR YOU!” Kim grabbed me and dragged me out of Burger King.

 

“Nichkhun? I'll be there in a few minutes. Seeya later,” I said.

 

“Okay when you get back home, you gotta tell me whatever happened between you and him alright!” Kim closed the cab door and waved at me as the cab drew further away from her.

 

-

 

Twenty minutes later, I arrived in school. I checked my hair and went in the art room, where Nichkhun is. Inside my heart, I was silently praying for me not to embarrass myself. I'm a clumsy klutz when it comes to things like this. “Hi,” I walked in the art room casually.

 

Nichkhun turned around with a paintbrush in his hand, “Hey,” he smiled, sending my stomach a family of butterflies. “Sorry you had to come here even though it's not a schooling day.”

 

“No, it's alright. What can I do to help?” I asked, hanging my shopping bags onto the few hooks behind the door.

 

“You brought your clothes with you?” He asked, realising my shopping bag hung onto the hooks.

 

Yeah, I was out shopping for tomorrow's party with Kim. You're coming aren't you?” I walked over to the seat next to him and grabbed a paintbrush. I dipped the paintbrush into some icky black paint and began outlining the banner.

 

Nichkhun dipped his paintbrush into the palette, “Of course I am. Don't wanna miss Amy's party. Amy always hold awesome parties.”

 

I raised my eyebrows at him and beamed. We both fell silent for a while, and I was digging through my brains for something interesting to talk about. As I was about to open my mouth to say something, I realised Nichkhun was looking at me. “What?” I said.

 

You have black paint on your face,” he pointed and started laughing.

 

I touched my face and felt the gooey substance on my left cheek. Nichkhun was still laughing like a retard (that still looked cute) so I took my paintbrush and poked his face lightly with it. “Whoops, my hand slipped.”

 

Nichkhun stopped laughing and gave me smirk. The next second, he was chasing me around the room with his paintbrush and palette. My legs gave way after a minute so I stopped and the paintbrush immediately landed on my other cheek. “Great, now one of my cheek has black paint while the other has blue. You're such an ,” I snatched the paintbrush from him. “Payback,” I smirked, about to chase him around the class just like he did.

 

What.. are you guys doing?” The door slid open. Minra stood outside with her arms crossed, obviously pissed with us because we were not painting the banner, but each other's faces again.

 

Sorry,” I said.

 

A little reminder; the banner has to be completed by today. Please, don't fool around.” Minra spoke firmly before she left that class.

 

Nichkhun and I chuckled. “Minra's not usually like that,” Nichkhun said. “She's a really nice person.”

 

Ah, so have a soft spot for her?” I joked, even though inside I was hoping he is not crushing on her.

 

Somewhat,” Nichkhun said with a little smile on his face. I was kind of glad that he was being open and straight forward with me, but that moment he said that, my heart sank slightly. “Used to actually. I'm not sure about now though.”

 

What happened?” I asked, trying not to sound disappointed.

 

I told her I liked her knowing she was dating Sungyeol. It was pointless, I know. But inside, I was hoping she maybe would break up with Sungyeol and then come to me. To think that she might actually do that, it's so stupid,” Nichkhun kept his eyes on the banner.

 

Oh,” I said. I tried to think of something better to say other than 'Oh', but all that came out was a stupid, pathetic 'Oh'. “How long have you liked her?”

 

About three years? I kept my feelings inside for two years and I decided to tell her because I felt that she needed to know. We were good friends in middle school,” he said. “Now, we're just 'hello and goodbye' friends.”

 

I glanced at Nichkhun. The smile on his face was slowly fading, and I hated to see him sad. “Oh look, we're done with the banner!” I said, changing the topic to get him off the whole Minra thing.

 

Yeah, couldn't have completed it without you,” He placed his paintbrush down and the toothpaste advert smile appeared again on his face. “Thanks, Seungmi.”

 

For helping out with the banner? No problemo,” I grinned and grabbed my bag.

 

Yeah,” He said. “And for hearing me out, “I appreciated that.”

 

Again, no problem. I'll be there to listen if you need me,” I said. “See you at Amy's tomorrow.”

 

**

 

Later that night, 8PM.

 

How's tomorrow's party coming up?” I stirred my warm caramel cappuccino and took a sip of it.

 

Going pretty good. I've got the food catering sorting out and decorations are perfectly sorted out too,” Amy said. “Sorry I couldn't help out in school today, and sorry Taecyeon couldn't either.”

 

Ah no, it's alright. You need Taecyeon anyway, he's... a good help,” I said.

 

Hey guys, what did I miss?” Kim came up from behind me.

 

You're late,” I pulled out a chair for her. “I already ordered you a latte.”

 

Thank you,” she sang. “Party's tomorrow, I'm so stoked. Are you gonna wear a bikini?” She asked.

 

I don't have a bikini, Kim. Can I just wear a one piece?” I said. It is not that I do not want to wear a cute two piece bikini, but I have issues with revealing clothes. Besides, it's not like I have one.

 

I have lots of cute two pieces! You can wear them tomorrow if you want to!” Amy said, excited.

 

Yeah, well no thanks, Amy,” I refused and took a bite of my apple pie. I looked outside the window and saw a familiar looking boy. His cheek was bleeding and so was his lips. I went nearer to the window to see who it was till I realised... “Is that..” I tugged onto Kim's shirt.

 

Wooyoung?!” Kim stood up to get a clearer view.

 

What is he- WHAT THE HELL, OH MY GOD!” I got up from my seat and dashed outside to catch up with him. “Wooyoung!” I yelled.

 

Wooyoung turned around, “Seungmi?” He wiped his lip with the sleeve of his black leather jacket. “What are you doing here?”

 

DON'T ASK ME THAT NOW, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?” I asked.

 

Oh god, what's going on?” Amy asked, panting. I turned around to see Kim catching up with us.

 

Did you get into a fight?” I searched my bag for a tissue. “Oh my god your hand,” I look at the huge cut on his right hand. “We need to get you to a doctor.”

 

No, I'm fine!” Wooyoung pulled his hand back away from me.

 

You're not you idiot! We'll go back to my place, I'll get you treated,” I said and turned to Amy. “Could you drive me to my place?”

 

Amy nodded and whipped out her car keys. I hopped into Amy's Porsche with Wooyoung and me at the backseat. Thank god my house was not far from here. “Thanks Amy. I'll see you guys tomorrow okay? And Kim, I'll call you tonight,” I said, before getting out of the car.

 

I dug in my pockets for the house key, but couldn't wait any longer because Wooyoung was already bleeding. I pressed the doorbell repeatedly and waited for Nana or April to open it.

 

I'm fine, you know,” Wooyoung said.

 

I ignored him and dragged him into the living room when Nana opened the door. “Get me the first aid-kit,” I told Nana.

 

Nana handed me the huge first aid kit. Her face looked tired and sleepy. “I'm going back to bed.”

 

Arasseo, sorry I woke you up,” I apologized and opened the first aid kit. “Cotton wool... alcohol swabs.. Where's the large band aids... Oh, yes, stitches...” I murmured.

 

How do I know that you know what you're doing?” He looked at me, clearly thinking that I was unsure about what I'm doing.

 

My mom was a doctor, trust me, I know,” I said, “Do you need painkillers or can I just start stitching you up?” I asked.

 

I don't need painkillers,” he said.

 

Okay,” I nodded and took his hand.

 

You said your mom was a doctor... What happened to her?” Wooyoung watched me clean his wound up.

 

I swallowed, “Car accident.” I haven't spoken about my mother ever since the last death anniversary me, April and Nana went to. It was painful.

 

Oh, sorry. I shouldn't have asked,” he apologized.

 

S'okay,” I grabbed the alcohol swabs and gently dabbed it onto the wound. “What happened to you anyway?”

 

I fought,” he said. “With my brother.”

 

Dongwoo?” I asked. “TILL YOU NEED TO GET STITCHES?! GOD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE BOTH OF YOU?!” I shouted, not remembering that Nana and April were asleep upstairs. I tore another packet of alcohol swabs and dabbed it onto his cheek, cleaning the blood off. Wooyoung didn't speak a word as I did so. I looked at him and realised he was looking at me, or gazing... if you may call it. “What?”

 

Wooyoung didn't answer and only looked away. I ignored that and wiped off the last bit of blood on his cheek. “Annnndddd, done.”

 

Thanks,” He stood up. “I'll see you tomorrow at Amy's.”

 

I nodded and opened the door for him, “You too. Take care, please.” I closed the door after wishing him goodnight. I went over to the couch and grabbed my cellphone to ring Kim up.

 

Hello?” Kim answered.

 

Hi Kim,” I said.

 

Is Woo okay?” She asked, worry showing in her voice.

 

Yeah, he's fine. He just went back home,” I sighed.

 

Oh thank god. Anyway, you still haven't told me, what happened between you and Nichkhun just now in school?”

 

I grabbed a cushion and placed it under my head. “It was fun. But.. I think he likes Minra...” I said. “He told me about him liking her for few years, and that he's unsure about his feelings towards her now. This .”

 

Aww. Don't worry Mi. But if you think about it, he's not really the type to open up his feelings to someone you know. Trust me, Wooyoung and him are good buds and it took Khun a while for him to open up. So considering that you've only been his friend for a month, and he's opening up to you, a good thing. Who knows, he might like you,” Kim said, convincing me slightly.

 

Yeah, hope so. How are things with you and Dae anway?” I asked.

 

Kim giggled, “Mi, you're asking this as if we're actually together. I'm only going to the dance with him.”

 

Come on Kim. It's so obvious. You, have got a thing for him,” I teased. “Admit it.”

 

PSH, NO MI, NOOO I DON'T!” Kim denied. “Alright, I'll see you tomorrow, my mom's nagging at me to go to bed. Night Mi.”

 

Goodnight, Kim.” I ended the call and stared at my cellphone wallpaper. '1 New Text Message'. I opened the message and read it, 'Hey, sorry to text you at this hour, but thank you for helping me out today. Cya tomorrow okay? Goodnight, Seungmi. - Khun.'. My heart skipped at beat as I read the text. I smiled to myself, falling into deep slumber after.

 

**

 

Dear diary,

 

So I already got my outfit to Amy's tomorrow. I'm pretty tired today, so I won't write much. I found out Nichkhun used to (or maybe still does) like Minra. ): And I haven't gotten a date to the dance yet. This .

 

Xoxo, Seungmi.