O10: I'm Yours Tonight

Diaries Of A Girl

 

“Please come to Oxford High's fund raising festival tonight!” I smiled widely, handing out brightly printed fliers. Drops of sweat trickled down my forehead. I took a deep breath and wiped them off with the cuff of my teal coloured quarter sleeved. I lifted my eyes and stared at Wooyoung.

 

He wore his usual red and black chequered shirt and a pair of dark jeans. As soon as his eyes met mine, I quickly turned away, trying to contain a smile as I handed out the fliers. “What are you smiling at?” I said, sipping at a bottle of fizzy liquid.

 

“Oh nothing,” he shook his head. I watched him, wondering why on earth was I feeling like this? Believe me, I couldn't find a reason either. The fluttering insides, it's been happening a lot lately. “Whatcha wearing tonight?”

 

I arched an eyebrow, puzzled by his question. “I don't know? Something simple I guess. It's not like I have to wear fancy tonight. It's just a festival, remember?” I said, handing out the very last flier to a couple.

 

“Wear something nice okay?” He said, a smile forming on his lips.

 

**

 

“What? Why are the boys' names in the performance list?!” Amy's soft brown eyes that were hidden behind her black rimmed glasses widened. “Even Taecyeon's name in this! You've got to be kidding me! That kid's gonna be performing tonight?!”

 

“Even Dae's?!” Kim grabbed the slightly crumpled piece of paper. “Goodness, what are they up to now?” She placed her face in her palms, sighing deeply.

 

“Now that you've mentioned it..” Amy ran her hand through her lovely curls. “I haven't seen them ever since this morning. Oh my god, where are they?”

 

**

 

Present day, 6.45pm.

 

I pushed through the oncoming crowd, scanning carefully for Kim and Amy. I stared down at my chiffon rosette dress, straightening the frilly ends of it. I hope I didn't come overdressed. After all, Wooyoung did told me to put on something nice tonight.

 

Amy waved frantically from the gates of Oxford High. She was dressed in a white coloured lace and knit top paired with a pair of skinny jeans. Kim stood beside her, grinning hugely at me. She, too, was dressed rather nicely. It wasn't often I'd get to see her wear a dress. Kim was more of a jeans-and-tshirt person. Kim wore a vibrant floral dress with a skinny belt that hugged her slender waist.

 

We greeted each other with high pitched squealing and made our way backstage after. My eyes glittered with joy as I watched the members of C.N Blue brushing past me. I had to admit, they look ten times better in real life. I guess that's why there's such a big crowd tonight.

 

My eyes searched around the crowd, landing on Nichkhun who stood around the corner. He gave me a small smile when his eyes met mine. I smiled back and gave a slight wave. And then my eyes widened when with pleasure when it landed on Wooyoung. As usual, he looked effortlessly gorgeous in a navy blue Levi's hoodie and dark jeans. His coppery hair was spiked up, making him look twice as charismatic.

 

I looped one arm around Kim's and the other around Amy's, dragging them to the front row just right in front of the stage. I was giggling and squealing like a mad loon as soon as Kim realised the lead singer of C.N Blue, Jung Yonghwa was smiling at us. I guess this is the benefit of working back stage, you get to meet the cutest celebrities.

 

As soon as their performance ended, I felt the need to gulp down a huge cup of fruit punch. I slowly walked through the crowd, making my way to the mini drink stall that's been set up by Suzy and Sunye.

 

“Test, testing 1, 2, 3..” My head turned as soon as I recognised the voice. Hastily, I scurried over back to the front row. Wooyoung stood in front of my eyes, along with Daesung and Taecyeon behind him. “We practiced a lot for this song. It's called 'I Can't', written by me and composed by Dae and Taec. I hope you guys like it..” he said. “And Mi, this is for you.”

 

“OH MY GOD!” Kim screamed. “THEY'RE PERFORMING? OH MY GOD. DAE WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME!” Her cheeks flushed a scarlet red. Amy eyes were glued to Taecyeon, evidently mesmerized by his singing. While I had my eyes on Wooyoung. Did he really just dedicate this song to me? Did he really just say my name into the microphone?

 

I was already blushing like a red traffic light, but when Wooyoung pointed towards me, I blushed even harder. My heart melted like puddle around my feet. It felt so surreal. Am I really being serenaded to? When everything ended, I was frozen and stiff, like as if my feet were permanently glued to the concrete ground. “What.. was that? Oh my god..” I breathed.

 

“I had a reason for telling to dress nicely tonight. And guess what, you did,” Wooyoung smiled, sending probably a gazillion butterflies to my stomach. “By the looks of it, you liked it didn't you?”

 

“Can you not say it like that?” I smiled, nudging him lightly.

 

“Come on, I need to take you somewhere,” he said, taking my hand gently. I swear I did not have any clue where the heck he took me because everything was just so bloody dark. At least, not until we sat under the unusually bright moon.

 

“Cause it's you and me, and all other the people with nothing to do, nothing to lose~”

 

“Whoa, you can actually hear the concert from here? How far are we?” I pulled my hair back into a loose bun and pulled out a few wavy strands.

 

“Doesn't matter where we are,” Wooyoung chuckled. “Now, may I have this dance, my lady?” He perfect pink lips curved into a smile.

 

It actually took me a lot of guts to take his hand and slow dance with him. I could feel my heart thudding against my ribs. I lifted my head up, only to find his eyes gazing into my mine. I started to stiffen when he inched closer, but my heart all melted again when I felt his soft lips gently pressed against mine. And then there it was, my first kiss.. gone.

 

My Android buzzed inside my leather purse. Sighing, I picked up the call. “You just had to call right now didn't you?” I said.

 

“YAH, WHY CAN'T I CALL YOU?! Where are you now?” Kim screamed into her phone, her voice almost drowning in the loud background music.

 

“Why? Is there a problem?” I tucked my Android under my ear and adjusted my dress. Wooyoung stood behind me with his head lifted up, watching the deep blue skies. I felt the corners of my lips twitch into a smile. “Aha, okay. I'll be there,” I slipped my phone into my purse and tugged onto Wooyoung's shirt. “Kim needs help with something. I need to go back.”

 

He nodded and picked himself up, brushing the bits of dry leaves off him after, “Kaja.”

 

**

 

“Where have you been? We've been looking around for you!” Amy tugged my by my dress and dragged me to the drink stall. “We're running out of drinks. I thought you ordered like a load of them? Where are they?”

 

“It's in the classroom, didn't you guys check? I thought I told Kim before I left..” I trailed off, my eyes going straight for Kim.

 

“It is?” Kim knitted her perfectly shaped eyebrows. “I'll tell Dae to bring them down. I've never seen that kid work out for the past few weeks.”

 

“Geez, you could've told me they were running out of drinks! The way your phrased everything made it seem like there's a huge crisis going on,” I sighed.

 

“Sorry,” Kim brought her pink lips into a pout. “Where were you anyway?” She at Wooyoung, who stood behind me with a bar of Snickers in his hand. Kim looked at me, wriggling her eyebrow and giving me weird looks.

 

“Right, I thought you guys were on duty for stall number sixteen? No?” I said, quickly avoiding Kim's question. I was planning to tell her after all, just not now. I glanced at my leather Swatch- 8.15pm. “Oh, I'm on duty for stall number three. I'll catch you later okay?” I said, giving Wooyoung a wave.

 

I have never thought Oxford High was that huge, until today. I spent about twenty minutes trying to find stall number three. And by the time I got there, Minra already helped me cover my shift. I stood there, panting and feeling useless.

 

I took a turn and strolled into the open basketball court. The wind was blowing through my hair, messing it up. I didn't bother fixing and adjusting the little pieces of hair, I guess I could rock the messy look once in a while. My eyes landed on Nichkhun, he sat on a bench, kicking around a pebble. “Hey,” I said, moving towards him. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Hi. I'm just.. taking a break..” he said, his dark brown orbs looking straight into mine. “You look nice tonight,” he smiled, a rather weak one.

 

“Thanks,” I took a spot beside him. “You should get back, I bet Minra's looking for you.”

 

“No, she's not,” Nichkhun shook his head, the smile gradually disappearing. He clasped his hands together and let out a loud sigh.

 

“Why not?”

 

“We broke up.”

 

Nichkhun's lips tightened and his eyes glittered. We both fell silent for a minute. I was trying to find the right words to say to him. I've never seen him like this, heartbroken and depressed. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-”

 

“It's fine, really..” He said, sliding his hands into the front pocket of his striped hoodie. But how was he fine? Just who in the right mind would be fine after a break up? I placed my hand gently on his shoulder, giving it a squeeze. Nichkhun gave me another smile, a smile that evidently showed that deep down, he was hurting.

 

“It'll be okay. You'll be okay. I'm certain of that,” I said.

 

 

Dear diary,

 

It's weird how a broken heart can be healed by the person you least expect from.

I've got my heart plastered back together, and Nichkhun's got his shattered into little pieces.

I'm really hoping that things will work out between me and Wooyoung. I guess I'm considered his girlfriend now? Man, I never thought I'd fall for that kid. Ever.

 

Xoxo,

Seungmi.