Chapter 3

For the sake of my love

 

Seoul National University Hospital

Tiffany’s shift just end but she need to stay at the hospital since she’s on-call duty tonight.

 

 

Tiffany POV

Arghh… I’m so tired. I miss my bed but I need to stay at the hospital until 6 am.

I’m not complaining okay, it is just that a lot of things happen lately make me feel tired easily.

Besides today is one of the busy day, I just finish my third operation for today.

Sigh…

Maybe a drink can make me feel better. I walk towards the vending machine.

I found myself staring at the vending machine blankly, what should I drink?

There are;

Hot chocolate

Tea

Milk tea

Latte

Mocha

Black coffee

White coffee

Wait

Wait

Black coffee?

It reminds me of my new friend and her black coffee.

It’s going to be long and tough night right? So, this is what I need now.

I push the button;

Black coffee

Hot

And lastly

No sugar

Yes, perfect choice Tiff.

I take my coffee and put it on the right side of my table.

I sit on my chair and begin to read report of the patients under my care.

 

After a few minutes, my bestfriend Sunny come into the room.

She walks towards her table which is on my right side and sit on the chair.

She rest her head on the table, she looks defeated.

“Long day?” I ask her.

She just nods her head without looking at me.

 “Want some coffee?” I point at my coffee cup.

She looks at me,

“Coffee? Since when you drink one?” she’s curious.

“Recently,” I smile at her.

“Whatever,” she shrug me off and sip my coffee.

I look at her, wait for her reaction.

Her face change as soon as the coffee hit her taste bud, she swallows it real fast.

“Why so bitter?”  Sunny’s face, priceless.

I laugh at her expression.

“I like it bitter. Like someone said, the bitter, the better.” I smile at my own words.

I don’t believe that I quote her.

“Owh Tiff, you are definitely not okay. Did your newlywed wife,” I cut her words

“I feel like I swallow not only the bitterness of the coffee but also the bitterness of my life.”

Wow I said that?

My own definition of ‘The bitter,the better’.

Is she like me to, swallowing the bitterness of life with coffee?

Sunny hug me tight, I don’t know how but I can feel her support from it.

It means a lot to me.

I know Sunny hates my decision.

I know Sunny hates Taeyeon for taking advantage of my love towards her.

But both of us know, it’s never been Tayeon intention to take advantage of my love for her because she never knew that I love her more than as a bestfriend.

It is all because of my cowardice, I trap myself in this heart wrenching situation.

If I brave enough to confess my love to her, she’ll never come to me and tell me how much she love Jessica.

If I brave enough to confess my love to her, she’ll never come to me and break my heart over and over again.

If I brave enough to confess my love to her, she’ll never ask me that question that night.

I remember that night clearly, that look at her face.

It breaks my heart.

I heard a door bell, I opened the door.

She’s standing in front of the door.

She just smiles at me, a sad one.

She asked me if she can come in, I said yes.

She sat on the couch.

I offer her a drink but she refuse, instead she asked me to sit beside her.

I comply without questioning.

She rested her head on my shoulder.

I wrapped my hand around her shoulder.

She started to cry silently.

Slowly she said, Jessica will never let Yuri go unless she’s married.

After that her body started to shake violently, she cried her heart out.

I tighten my grip on the left side her shoulder.

It’s killing me to see her in that state.

After found her composure back, she excused herself.

She said sorry for the disturbance that she made.

I walked her to the door before she leave, she hold my hand and look into my eyes.

She’s pleading through her eyes, I don’t understand it.

Then she said, “Fany-ah, will you marry Yuri for me?”

Dumfounded, that’s how I feel that time.

I try hard to comprehend the meaning of what she said.

Realizing her mistake, she apologizes repeatedly and asks me to forget that she ever asked me that question.

I closed the door as soon as she left, then I walked slowly towards my bedroom.

I crashed my body on my bed.

I cry my heart out that night, I don’t remember when I fall asleep.

The next morning, first thing I did after I wake up is texting Taeyeon.

To: My Taetae

Good morning tae, I have a good news for you. Guess what? I’ll marry Yuri for you. So, rest assure. Jessica will marry you! That’s it, I want to resume my sleep. Keke.

After make sure that I have successfully send the text, I turn off my phone and then I hid myself under the blanket.

I cry again.

Upon remembering those painful events, I tighten my hug on Sunny as if my life depends on it.

“Sunny, it hurts.” I say while sobbing on her chest.

“that’s it Tiff, let it out. Let everything out, you’ll feel better after this.” She said while caressing my head softly.

After a while, I regain my composure back. I loosen the hug.

We look into each other eyes.

“So, how do you feel now?” she asks with a concern look.

“Never better,” I give her my famous eye smile.

“Good,” she pats my head.

“Thanks Sunny,”

“Yah, stop looking at me like that.”

“Why? Feeling something for me already?”

“Me? You? Never! Ii is so gay.”

With that we laugh at each other.

 

 

 

Meanwhile, in Yulti’s apartment

Yuri is sitting on the couch facing the TV, tears running down her cheeks. She didn’t even bother to wipe her tears.

She’s watching her favourite anime, One Piece. This is the scene where Ace, Luffy’s brother died while saving him.

With that, Yuri switch off the TV and walking towards her bedroom slowly while wiping the tears on her cheeks.

She enter her room and close the door.