CHAPTER FIVE

Life's Second Chance

 

 

                Weekends, though many like it, I hate it as much as I hate weekdays. Why? Because I still need to work. When I woke up I just stared at the broken window which was open again. I grabbed my phone expecting a text or maybe a phone call from Ilhoon. But nothing was there. I got up and threw my phone on the bed and wore my pink hoodie.

                My jog today as hell, first I tripped because of my shoelace then after ordering coffee a guy bumped into me making the hot coffee spill all over my favourite hoodie, and he didn’t even bothered saying sorry!! Jackass, then when I was about to go inside my apartment Mr Park stopped me

                “Kang Eun Mi-sshi, I’m but, I need this room emptied by next Sunday” he said giving me a fake sad face. This old man, I hated him when I moved in and I’m totally hating him more. If only Death Note was true.

                “But you said I still have until next Saturday to pay you my late rent!”

                “I know, but I have a new client who’s willing to pay double. He needs a place since he’s a foreigner. And I really need that money to pay for my uh. . To buy my Granddaughter a gift for her birthday I’m sorry but you have to move out”

                “Where do you think I can find a cheap apartment in 8 days???!!!” He shrugged and left me without saying anything else, I slammed my door shut and lay on my bed. He doesn’t even have a granddaughter, that old liar.

               I took out my phone and dialled Ilhoon’s number. If he doesn’t answer, I swear I’m going to cry and curse his name. It rang, two, three, and four. He picked up

                “Hello?” He asked. Somehow he answering the phone after ignoring the others made the tears the I’ve been fighting came out.

                “O-Oppa” trying not to sob but failing

                “Yah, are you crying? Why?” his concern was obvious in his voice

                “Oppa, can you come here? No, let’s meet at the park near the café”

                “Okay. I’ll be there so stop crying okay”

                “Yes” smiling a little bit, he always made me feel safe. I hung-up and went to the bathroom to take a quick shower, got dressed and went to out meeting place.

                When I got to the park Ilhoon was already there pacing back and forth while biting his nail. His bad, but cute habit.

                As soon as he saw me walking towards him with my bike his face softened. He felt relieved.

                “Eun Mi ah, are you okay?” He asked, wrapping his arms around me. I could feel his heart beating fast. And it made mine beat fast too, but in a different way. What is this I’m feeling? Before I could answer my own question he ask me again.

                “Why did you cry? Did something happen?”

                “I also don’t know why I started to cry. Why didn’t you answer my calls??” I asked raising my voice a little

                “Sorry, it’s just something came up. But don’t change the subject. Why did you cry?” He asked again, his concerned eyes never leaving mine.

                “I told you I don’t know. Maybe because a lot of things happened, first you didn’t pick up my calls, then I had a lot of bad luck earlier and… and now I’m being forced to move out the apartment by that old lying bastard”

                “What? He’s kicking you out? When?”

                “Next Sunday. Ahhh! I seriously don’t know where I can find a cheap apartment in 8 freakin’ days”

                He took my hand which was covering my face and smiled at me, a reassuring smile

                “Why are you smiling. I’m about to live on the streets and you’re smiling?”

                “Why would you live on the street when you have me and Hyung and our house? You can just stay there. Honestly why didn’t you even stay with us in the first place?” he said holding my had firmly, I didn’t said anything, but he knew what I meant with the look that I gave him.

                “Why? Are you and Hyung uncomfortable with each other? Didn’t you see him the other day?”

                “Uhh. I still am. I went there to look for you, if you didn’t ditch me I would have never gone to your house anyway. And besides, you know I don’t like living off you guys”

                “Then I’ll ask for rent and water and electricity. Come on. Just stay with us” He was looking at me with pleading eyes but I was stubborn, I promised myself that I’d never meet his brother or see him even

                “I don’t want too. I told you, me and Junhyung are awkward with each other. If we live under the same roof it’ll be like hell”

                “No it won’t I’ll be there. Come one. Just until you find another place” he grabbed my hand tighter and did his best move, he widened his eyes in a cute way and puffed his cheeks

                “Fine. Just stop with that stupid look. But just until I find a new place” I pointed my finger at him making my point, now he was the one that saluted

                “Yes Ma’am!”

                We both laughed and went to the café. I was glad to have my Best Friend back, though I’m still curious what he did that day to ignore all my calls and text and to forget our plans. It never happened before. On our way home later, I’ll ask him before I forget it ever happened.