CHAPTER TWO

Life's Second Chance

 

 

                Taking orders, giving change, cleaning tables, this was my routine for the rest of the day. When it was finally about to end, I excitedly called Ilhoon to pick me up. When I was about to leave the café with my best friend, Yewon Unnie gave me the extra key and told me, wait scratch that, ordered me to take care of the rest, before I could object she hopped on her scooter and drove off.

                “You’ll help me right?” asking Ilhoon while batting my lashes with doe eyes knowing he’ll go for it.

                “Nope” Darn.

                “Oppa” I whined grabbing his arm and shaking it along with me. I’m seriously not good with aegyo.

                “Fine. Fine. But you owe me” a slight smile appearing on his face.

                “Yes! Now let’s clean-up”

 

                Thanks to Yewon Unnie we got to my apartment later than usual.

                “Yah, don’t forget to lock your doors okay?”

                “Ne”

                “Close your window or else you’ll get a cold”

                “Ne”

                “And-“

                “And be sure to check if I locked my door before I go to sleep. I know Ilhoon, you should go home. Your Mom must be worried” I patted his shoulder and pushed his softly, he grabbed my arms and pulled me close

                “Okay. Goodnight” he kissed my forehead softly and gave me one last meaningful look before walking out the building. I went inside still shock about what happened. WHAT just happened?

                I and Ilhoon had been friends for 3 years now.  We do anything together, we’ve done everything in front of each other, even farting together. But he’s never done that before. Why did he? Why? My phone vibrated inside my pocket. It was him. Ilhoon.

                Surprised you right. Haha. See you tomorrow, Ajumma

                Goodnight.

                Ajumma. It’s been a long time since he called me that. Remembering old memories made me smile. It’s really been a long time.

                “Sure. Ajusshi” I click send and heated a pot of water for my ramen.

 

                I ran across the field like a mad woman, wet hair flying everywhere, bare face greeting well make-up face. I just can’t stop making myself look more like a loser can’t I? As I ran up the stairs, I bumped into someone who was walking as slow as a turtle, and because of that turtle person, I tripped on the last steps making me fall on my knees. Before he can even see the clumsy maniac I ran across the hall towards the classroom.

                It was a good thing that Teacher Jung was a little late today.

                “You made it” Beakhyun commented, a little relief in his voice.

                “Uh, I don’t want to pay for the late fee” I said still out of breath. Baekhyun gave me his bottle of water

                “Don’t worry, I haven’t opened it. You can have it” His usual bright smile flashing in front of me.

                “Thank You”

                “Beakhyun –“

                “KANG EUN MI!!!!” A loud voice interrupted before I can even ask the important question I wanted to ask Beakhyun

                “YAH!” Ilhoon shouted again walking towards my table

                “Oppa! Can you lower your voice?” I look around the room, 22 pairs of eyes were looking at my direction.

                “Oh, sorry” he sat on the empty chair across from me “I called you, but you didn’t answer” his cute pout appearing again

                “Sorry, I woke up late and I had to run after locking my bike. And I tripped on the stairs because of a turtle. I’m sorry Oppa”

                “Okay” he was about to leave when he turned to me again “A turtle?”

                “Uh? Ah, haha. Nothing. Just a slow guy who wouldn’t give way and made me trip”

                “Ahh, but are you okay?”

                “Yup. I’m okay” I said standing up and jumping and skipping “See”

                “Okay. I’ll treat you lunch today” he said ruffling my hair, making it messier.

                I sat down and felt a prick on my ankle. This isn’t good.

 

                When lunch time came everyone but me ran to the cafeteria. Beakhyun wanted to stay with me but his stomach wanted something else. As soon as he left Ilhoon came in.

                “Yah, I was waiting for you at the cafeteria” Ilhoon pouted. He’s been pouting a lot this week.

                “Oh?? But I was waiting for you here”

                “Yah! Let’s just go. It’s a good thing I told Sungjae to get us a seat” he took me by the arm and almost dragged me to the Cafeteria, he must be really hungry.

                The Cafeteria wasn’t that full today there were lots of empty table but what caught my attention was the new kid, Junhong. He was sitting alone eating his lunch, he looked so lonely. As I stared at him he looked up and our eyes met for a second, he seemed shy.

                “Hey guys. Mind if I join my friend over there?” I asked and pointed towards Junhong’s direction

                “Sure” Sungjae said with a smile and continued his story about how he lost a special game because of Eunkwang.

                I grabbed my tray and walked towards the lonely boy’s table.

                “Hi” I greeted delightedly and placed my tray across from his and sat down         

                “Hi”

                “Why are you eating alone? Still no friends”

                “Isn’t it obvious?”

                “A little bit”

                “Why are you here?” Junhong asked, annoyance was present in his voice

                “Uh, I just wanted to eat with you. Can’t I?”

                “You know how to skateboard?” I almost yelled as I saw the skateboard beside him, he just nodded a small smile forming

                “Can you teach me?” as soon as I asked that the smile faded away

                “How can you board when you have a sprained ankle?” He asked tilting his head

                “How did you know I have a sprained ankle?!” his eyes widened, so he’s the turtle at the stairs!

                “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. You were running when I was about to say sorry you were already gone” he apologize, he sounded sincere. He looked cute when he’s sorry. He handed me an ointment for my ankle. He took his skateboard and left the cafeteria.