CHAPTER ONE

Life's Second Chance

             

 

                Alarm clock ringing and cold wind blowing through the window, which I was sure I closed last night before going to bed. Everything else was silent except for the deafening scream that was coming from the phone’s alarm clock. I lazily left my bed and went straight to the bathroom to get ready for school. It was Monday and no student loves Mondays. When I was all set, I grabbed my bag and checked my surroundings just to make sure I wouldn’t leave anything. But when I was about to go out there was this feeling that I barely felt. That feeling you get when something won’t go right.

               Get a grip Eun Mi, now’s not the time to feel lazy .I thought to myself as I turned the knob of my old apartment door.

                I was greeted by a lonely coloured building as soon as I stopped at the front gate of Ace High School. I never really appreciated the gloomy aura the school gave me.

                “EUUUUN MIIIIIII!!!!!“ A familiar voice called from behind.

                I looked at my old friend who was catching his breath as soon as he stopped in front of me. I grabbed my bottle of water and handed it to him. Ilhoon smiled and we started walking.

                Ilhoon has been my friend ever since I started living alone, which was 3 years ago.

                “Yah! You shouldn’t be running like that so early in the morning, except when you’re late“ I said a slight giggle escaping my lips.

                “Y-Yah, I-I was j-just excited t-to see you!“ Ilhoon answered a slight of aegyo in his tone even though he was already having trouble breathing “I heard you found a new job”

                “Yeah, Jiwon from class 3 quitted her job and she recommended me“

                “It’s that café a few blocks away right Heaven’s Door was it?“ He asked, he took my bicycle being the gentleman he usually is.

                “Yup. Can you lock it up for me Oppa? I need to get to class”

                “Sure. Key?”

                “Here. I’ll meet you at lunch” I ran towards the building hearing his agreement.

                When I got to the class room everyone was there busy with their own thing, some fixing their hair as if it wasn’t perfect already and the others just gossiping about how hot our literature teacher is and how the girl from class 1 got pregnant by a guy who’s in a gang. And of course the students who devoted their time reading books and reviewing for exams which was about to come. Typical.

                “Hi Eun Mi“ Beakhyun my  seat mate greeted. I smiled in response and sat next to him putting my bag on the side.

                “Beakhyun-sshi can I copy your History Homework? I forgot to do mine, I just remembered that we had Homework at that subject. Can I? Please? I seriously don’t want to be sent out of class later. Uh? Uh? Uh?“ I asked. Beakhyun, looking at me his eyes wide.

                “ S-sure. No need to get worked-up too much. Here “ he handed his book together with his sweet smile. He’s always been nice to me, always offered me food when I didn’t feel like eating and always made me copy answers to an equation I was having a hard time with. But I never really accepted any of it. I actually wondered why he kept offering. Weird.

                I took the book and calmly copied his answers, I wanted to make sure that all of them were correct but I didn’t have time to do so since it was almost time.

                “Beakhyun-sshi, Beakhyun-sshi” I called his name a couple of times but he didn’t hear me through his earphones.

                “Class quiet down“ Teacher Jung said. Besides me and Beakhyun no one else heard her, well listened to her actually.

                “Yah!!! I said quiet down!“ She yelled as she slammed her record book on the desk. Now she has their attention. I slipped the book to Beakhyun and faced Teacher Jung, she seriously looked like she was about to blow.

                “Okay so, we got a classmate. His name is Choi Junhong“ Teacher Jung signalled the new student to introduce himself. He stood in front of the class with confidence.

                “Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Choi Junhong, Glad to meet all of you“ He greeted with a 90 degree bow. After his introduction Teacher Jung pointed the seat beside Jungup who was behind me and Beakhyun.

                “Okay, I know all of you had been in Junhong’s position. Moving into a new school and not knowing anyone, so I hope you’ll be nice to him. And Jungup, show him around so he doesn’t get lost okay.”  Jungup nodded and Teacher Jung continued “ Okay, I’ll see you later at class “

               

“ YAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!! “ everyone screamed as soon as the last class ended. Everyone was out like speed of lighting. It seemed like they were prisoners who’s been released after 30 years of being locked up.

                I looked at my watch and packed my stuff quickly. I was late. I ran out of the room while waving goodbye at Baekhyun.

                Ilhoon was already waiting at my Bicycle’s usual spot when I got there. “You’re late” He said pouting. He took the last bite from the ice cream and hopped on the white bicycle.

                “ Sorry. The devil didn’t want to release us from hell” I said jokingly as I got on the back of the bicycle. I wrapped hands around Ilhoon’s waist and we started to move. Just like our ever day routine. He would drive me to my part time job after class and take me home after.

                “Oppa”

                “Uh?”

                “I don’t feel good”

                “What? Are you sick” A sudden concern present in his voice.

                “No. I just feel like something bad is going to happen”

                “Is that why you’ve been quiet all day?” He knew, as expected. I nodded my head knowing he would feel it.

                I tightened my arms around his waist and closed my eyes, feeling the cold wind on my face.

                “We’re here” Ilhoon announced already? I wish the shop was farther.

                “Thank You Oppa “

                “Okay, call me when your shift ends okay? So I can take you home” He said pinching my cheek softly.

                “Yes, Sir!” I said saluting. Ilhoon stuck his tongue out cutely and patted my head. As soon as I was inside the shop he walked away. Probably meeting Hyunsik.

 

                “Eun Mi-ah can you take the next costumer for me? I need to take a break” Yewon asked

                “Ne Yewon Unnie. I’ll take care of it” I tried smiling as I said it. It’s not like I can do anything about it right. She’s my senior so all orders comes from her.

 

                A tall man in a Black V-Neck shirt and faded blue jeans stood in front the counter.

                “I’ll have a cappuccino” He said a small dimple appearing near the left end of his lips. Which I’m sure would melt any heart.

                “2,000 won please” I said softly. Seriously, why the sudden change of tone?

                “You’re new here aren’t you?” He asked, handing me the bill.

                “What? Yes” I answered quietly. I seriously wanted to slap myself right there for losing all my confidence, when I heard his quiet laugh I felt myself heat up. Kill me now before I embarrass myself any further.

                “I’m actually a regular here so I kind of know everyone” he said scratching the back of his head. Feeling shy?

                “You’re not much of a talker are you?” He asked in his deep voice. There was a hint of playfulness in his tone.

                “Just to people I don’t know” I said handing him his cappuccino.

                “Bang Yongguk” he said as he took his order from me slightly brushing his long fingers against mine

                “Excuse me?”

                “I said I’m Bang Yongguk” His y smile flashing again

                “Now that you know me we’ll talk more the next time I order okay.” He said taking a sip and winking before leaving me stunned behind the counter.

                Did he just wink at me? He seriously winked at me? Why did he wink at me? Why? Seriously.