Ninth Song

Dream High 3

"It might seem right now like I don't have a chance,

but if I try hard enough, something will come my way."

-Song Sam Dong(Dream High)

 

"You're what?" Niel asks, grinning. 

"Tempermental," I bark, and pull my hand away from his. 

"Is there a difference?" He asks, trying to stabilize me. 

"There's a huuuge difference," I lie, hoping he won't know. He does. 

"There's no difference at all, liar." he grumbles. Sometimes I swear he can read my mind. I don't say anything, and Niel helps me to the more comfortable bed. "I can patch you up, but I can't diagnose your ankle," he taps it gently with one finger and pain sears like fire up my entire leg. I cringe. Niel's eyes widen and he pulls his hands away, "did that hurt?" He looks at my ankle, then at me again, "Are you okay? I didn't know it would hurt so bad, really!"

"I'm okay," I lie. "Can you just get me some ice?"

He nods and his hair bounces with him. He stands up and looks around, running his hands through his hair. I in a breath, and hold it, just watching him. He bites his lip and digs through a couple of baskets, searching for a rag. When at last he's found one, I realize how long I've been holding my breath and breathe out heavily. "You okay?" Niel looks over his shoulder, eyes alert. 

"I'm fine," I retort, "You take too long." Why did I say that? I groan in my head, Why can't I be nice for once? 

"Mianhe! I can't find the ice..." 

"It's in the refrigerator!" I point at the small white box in the corner, Niel runs over and drops on his knees to open the door. He pulls out several cubes of ice and wraps them in the rag, then hurries back to me. He sits on the side of my bed while he sets my leg on top of pillow and puts the ice on top. 

"Niel," I say, trying not to sound to desperate for his attention. 

"Huh?" he looks up, his mouth slightly ajar, and I have to shake my head a little to get my own attention, I'm too distracted by his lips. 

"Um, thank you." I say, embarassed. I turn my face into the pillow to hide my blushing cheeks. Niel smiles and nods. 

"Sure, anytime."

A girl passes by the door, she stops and looks inside. Niel waves to her and she looks flustered. She bows quickly and leaves red-faced. "What's up with her?" Niel thinks out loud. 

"It's because she thinks your hair is weird," I lie. "It's too long." I reach my hand up and pick up a stand of his hair. It's actually not a bad length, attractive, even. He puts a hand on the nape of his neck and pets his hair. 

"Is it?" He asks, biting his lip again. He's gotta stop doing that. 

"Ahem." Niel and I both look up. Sunggyu is standing in the doorway with his eyebrows raised. "May I have a minute?"

Niel nods slowly at first, then bobs his up and down like he's in a rocking chair. He stands up, gives me a quick wave, and struts out of the door. I wish he wouldn't leave me alone with Sunggerm. 

"Hey Miss Karate-champ," Sunggyu walks over and pulls a chair to my bedside. 

"If my leg still worked I'd kick you a second time," I bark. 

"Correction," Sunggyu says, "it would be the first time. The last two times you missed."

"Whatever."

We sit in silence for a minute, Sunggyu moves his hand from his earring to the nape of his neck and back down to his lap. Being we're not quite friends, neither one of us knows what to say. My stomach rumbles loudly, why does it choose the worst times to do this sort of thing?

"Are you hungry?" Sunggyu asks. 

"Yah, why are you skipping class?" I try to change the subject.

"Don't try to change the subject." He says. Busted. 

My stomach rumbles again, even louder than before. I wish it wasn't so verbal this early in the morning. Way to voice your opinion now, I yell at it in my thoughts.

"Let's go get something to eat," Sunggyu offers, standing up.

"No thanks."

He tilts his head and raises his eyebrows. "You shouldn't put up a fight. You're going like it or not." I purse my lips at him and look away. "Do you want it the hard way or the easy way?" I don't respond. 

"Hard way it is." Sunggyu puts his arms underneath me and hoists me into the air, not quite as elegantly as Niel did. He swings me over his shoulder like I'm a deer being dragged by to the van by a hunter. I kick my one usable leg and pound my fists on his back. 

"Yah! Let me go!" I look over his my shoulder and raise my eyebrows, "Kim Sunggyu, you better let me go right now!"

"Hmm...I don't think I will." He retorts and walks out of the infirmary. I put up a fight for a little while, doing my worst when we pass by a laughing Boram and a worried Taemin. Eventually I give up, and my arms up on his shoulder with my head in my hands. 

"How far are we going to walk like this?" I ask when we're leaving the school courtyard. 

"There's a cafe nearby, but you're much too heavy to carry that far."

"Yah!" I kick him in the chest and hear him groan in pain. 

He flags a cab and once its stopped he puts me down carefully, with his hands on my waist and sliding out from under me so I land gently. 

"Are you okay?" He asks with wide eyes, checking me to make sure I don't fall. 

"I'm fine." I growl. He smiles. I've seen him smirk an awful lot of times, but I have never really seen him smile. His smile reveals a set of perfect teeth, his already small eyes arch upward. A smile suits him a lot more than a frown. 

"Where did your eyes go?" I fake-worry and get under him so I can look up. "They disappeared!" I shout and point at them. 

"Ladies first," Sunggyu ignores me and motions to the car. I awkwardly hobble over and settle myself into the cab. Sunggyu comes after me and sits next to me. 

"Where to?" the driver asks. 

----

Oh my gosh I am SO sorry this took so long to get out there! I have been super busy lately. No time for writing! I will be adding a lot more chapters after this as fast as I can! 

Who else adores Sunggyu's smile?

sunggyu.gif

 

tumblr_lwlo3wExqC1r5c63lo1_500.png

thank you readers! I love youuu~