First Song

Dream High 3

"Song Ji Eun?" The judge called Ji Eun's name. She instantly popped up from her seat, heart throbbing in her chest. 

"Y-yes?"

The judge beckoned her over, and shakily, she made her way over. "I'm sorry," the judge shook her head, trying to explain. "You're just not what we're looking for."

"W-why not?" Ji Eun held back her tears by pinching her skirt. 

"Well," the judge looked her up and down, "you have nothing out of the ordinary. Your singing ability is average. Your looks," the judge flips her own red-dyed hair, "Also average. You just don't have a future in this industry."

Ji Eun stared at the woman a moment, considering even dropping to her knees to beg to be accepted. She knew she could do it, if she only got the chance. She'd always been a hard worker, but whenever it came down to it, it always seemed the hard work never payed off. 

"Song Ji Eun," the judge cut into her thoughts. "You need to leave now, or else I'll have you escorted out."

Ji Eun shook her head, "n-no, that's not necessary," she tried to hold her head high, but it was difficult. "I'll leave by myself."

----

JI EUN/YOUR POV
 

"Ji Eun-ah! Hurry up!" Omma calls from downstairs. "I know I know I know I know!" I shout, darting around my room to grab all of my must-haves. I hear a door open downstairs, most likely the front one. "Ji Eun-ah! Cho Hee is here!" I furiously tousle my hair. I don't have time for Cho Hee right now!

"Dongseeennnnggggg~" I hear my childhood best friend, Cho Hee, sing up the stairs. I love her to death, but I wish for once Cho Hee just wouldn't be so...so...Herself. I run down the stairs two at a time, going straight past Cho Hee and nearly running into a wall. 

[Dongseng=younger brother/sister(used for anyone younger than you who you are close to)]

I eat my entire breakfast in one bite, and am out of the door before CHo Hee can even say hello. "Where are you going?" Cho Hee yells from the doorway, I'm already half way down the street. "Kirin Art School Auditions!" I scream, a smile spreading across my face. 

The brick building looms above me. My future is in its hands now. A teacher is herding students into the cafeteria to practice before their auditions. I duck behind a wall before he can see me. My breathing is heavy. Calm down, Song Ji Eun, I tell myself, You can do this. 

"Please oh please oh please," I clasp my hands together, shut my eyes and pray just once before making a 180 turn back around the corner.

"Yah!" someone shouts as I run into them, knocking their shoulder back. A boy who's at least 3 inches taller than me frowns at me. "Watch where you're going stupid!" he barks. Why I oughta... I growl in my mind, A face like yours is wasted on that personality. 

"It was your own fault!" I yell, and flick his head, storming past him. 

Or I wish I had. "Watch where you'r going stupid!" he barks. "S-sorry," I bow sheepishly instead, and maneuver myself around him to follow the other students. "Is that guy auditioning here too?" I think out loud, "I sure hope not.."

Suddenly everything is quiet. "The first auditioner!" someone screams and points. I follow their finger to a tv tacked up in the corner of the room. I'm swept with the crowd rushing towards the screen. A girl on the screen with a beautiful face opens to sing and...she's amazing. "I'm better than her!" someone shouts out. "That's nothing!" says another. "Wait until they see me!"

Where do they get this confidence? Does stardom run in their blood or something? I suddenly wish I could just disappear, maybe I'm not meant to be here after all. No, don't think like that, I tell myself. My reason of being here is just as good as their's. 

"Kim Sunggyu," the speakers burst with sound. "Kim Sunggyu, please come to the audition room, Kim Sunggyu." 

The crowd parts for a boy with brown-blonde hair. The same boy who yelled at me from earlier. I consider sticking my foot out and tripping him, but he walks by me before I can come to a decision. As soon as he disappears up the stairs, we all focus our eyes on the TV. 

"Kim Sunggyu?" the main judge, the principle, asks. "Yes," Sunggyu replies bluntly, and without bowing or showing any respect to his elders, he walks straight to the piano and sits down. "I can start, right?"

A female teacher looks angry and scoffs at his audacious personality. "Sure!" she shouts, ing her head up in anger, "Mamderohae!" 

[Mamderohae=Do whatever/Do whatever you like]

Sunggyu shrugs, and turns his head back to the elegant black piano. He raises his hands, preparing to play, when he stops. He smirks, and I know I don't like him already. "Oh right," he laughs breathily, "I can't play the piano." 

"Yah!" A short haired girl next to me shouts, "Are you trying to make a fool out of us!" she yells to the TV, waving a fist in the air. 

Instead of actually playing the piano, he stands up and returns to the mic. He wraps his fingers around it slowly, and a tension falls over the crowd. 

"That cloud that foats up high alone above the mountain,"

a few gasps erupt from the crowd. "Wow, he's so good!" someone whispers. "shh!" another yells to quiet them. The song is one I recognize, an old song. Who knows from how far back, but it strikes a vague familiarity that lights up something inside me. 

"I would like you to know," he holds the mic tightly, his eyes twinkle. By the sound of his voice, why do I feel like crying? It's as if this song is his being, put into words, and he's truly saying how he feels. "How I feel in my heart," he sings. 

He closes his eyes and raises his voice. "My heart is with the stars," I hear him in a breath, "I hope it will be a star in the sky."

In this instant, it seems all of us have handed ourselves over to him. We are all subject to his greatness, forgetting his earlier joke or comments, we have been in by his voice. "...That shines forever."

I feel a hot tear run down my cheek. I don't like him, so why am I moved? Why has the sheer emotion of his song led me to forget such an important detail?

I look around, and see I'm not the only one who feels that way. The girl who yelled at him earlier is staring wide eyed and teary. Everyone has been taken by him.  He lowers the mic, and stands patiently. 

No one says anything. All of us are silent. It seems centuries pass like this, everyone in shock of him. At long last, the judge taps his papers together and clears his throat. "Kim Sunggyu....Pass."

----

Sorry for the super short chapter! You can expect chapters to be generally short, but I'll update them as often as possible! And as always, I want to feel you all in!

http://vimeo.com/57683968

Here is a link to the amazing Kim Sunggyu's performance of "My Heart is Like the Stars". (I seriously almost cried when I heard it)

Stay tuned for the next chapter! Thank you!