23

That Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Luhan woke up late, his alarm was damned. He should have charged his phone last night instead of trusting that it would last ‘till morning. No wonder his eyes didn't feel that heavy when he opened it, turned out he had a long satisfying goodnight sleep. He quickly shuffled out of bed and prepared for school in a whim, almost tumbling down in an attempt to be as fast as the lightning. Down the stairs he found his mother fretting over the kitchen, making breakfast as usual. In years he had yearned for this scene to happen before him. He envied Yoori sometime during his stay in Busan because she’s with Miss Kang, a mother figure that cares for her. But now, he had no reason to envy the girl or any children in the world for his life was already as perfect as it could be in his opinion - or not quite yet.

"I thought you wouldn't wake up." His mother must have felt his presence as he entered the kitchen. She gracefully turned to him. A smile was tugging at her red thin lips. "Good morning honey." She said with that ever soothing voice.

"You didn't even try waking me." Luhan grumbled, taking a seat at the kitchen island and propping his elbows on the counter to rest his head on the palm of his hands. He eyed his mother closely. The woman was like gracefully dancing and a smile couldn't help but to appear on his sleepy face.

"I did…thrice but no response." His mother replied while turning back to the stove and to the meal she was preparing.

After the summer in Busan his mother decided to take him in. Luhan was ecstatic with this arrangement but got disappointed when his grandparents opposed, calling his mother a few times to tell her to rethink her actions before something could go wrong. His grandparents were always against his mother. However luck was on their side and soon Luhan left home and moved in with his mother. His father was reluctant at first but since he agreed, on terms that Luhan would stay out of trouble and he would visit him as often as possible. The other woman - the evil woman was no longer at his back, finding faults in his character. Luhan was tad bit too happy about that but he was a little worried about his younger half brother, who would most probably take all of his mother's hurtful words. But Sehun was big enough to protect himself. The younger assured him once when they talked before he left his father's house that he'll be all right. Luhan only scoffed at his confidence but soon found out how strong Sehun could be if he didn't cower.

With his new life, Luhan started to change bit by bit. He no longer involves himself in useless fights, though he still hangs out with Jongin and the rest. Yixing found the change amusing but was glad that his friend wanted change. It was not every day that Yixing would see Luhan trying so hard at that department.

On the first day of school Yixing questioned him about this girl he often talks about. His friend was eager for a story but all he got was a stern look from Luhan.

The last day of his stay in Busan was nowhere near to what he had pictured days after Yoori and he got a little friendly. He wanted to see the beach with her for the last time before heading to the city where he could only see tall buildings. But all of his plans were spoilt because he ended up being in the hospital. Screw those amateur gangsters for appearing that night. Screw him for fighting back and making things worst. He left Busan without a proper goodbye to Yoori. Miss Kang was at least there to send him off. He had thanked the older woman for taking him in her humble home for weeks and he apologized for the bad things he had caused which the woman didn't mind. For the first time he admitted out loud that he was happy to be sent off somewhere in Korea rather than be in Beijing where he only gets ignored by everyone.

He could still remember how Miss Kang apologized that Yoori could not make it that day. He could have easily got around his step mother but Luhan felt like Yoori purposely didn't want to see him and bid goodbye.

 

 

 

 

 

☆☆♛☆☆

 

 

 

 

 

"So where will you study?" Jongin perked up, placing his chopsticks on top of his half-eaten bowl of rice. His words were a bit muffled due to him speaking in between of chewing. Having just started his talk he held out a hand to silence everyone so he could continue on. "Man, you passed Seoul U, Kyunghee and Yonsei! Three of the best schools out here! If you chose to go back in Beijing I will kill you." Jongin threatened, having Luhan beside him, he instantly had his arms locked around Luhan's neck. In a playful manner he tightened his grip but release the other man sooner. They were having lunch and a free period after; staying longer in the cafeteria would probably be their only option.

The brown haired guy just let out a chuckle at his friend's childish threat, flexing the muscles in his neck once he got freed from the lanky grip Jongin had him.

"Luhan would probably reject those schools and pick Seoul Arts." Yixing concluded, as he munched on his own food. Time to time he was looking between Luhan and Jongin.

"Huh?" Jongin dumbly asked. The poor guy hadn't taken in what was said yet. Instead of understanding Yixing words he went on with his own thoughts, voicing it out loud for everyone to hear. "But if I were as intelligent as you I would have taken law or medicine!  Which I am not so I'll go to Seoul Arts and I'll major in dancing~" He ended dreamily, already picturing his own future.

Across him, and beside him, Luhan and Yixing simultaneously gagged at Jongin's dreamy expression but that didn't last when Jongin abruptly stood up, hands slammed on the long table. "Wait you say Seoul Arts? Dude you mean..." He asked but trailed off. He looked at Luhan as if to confirm his thoughts. A smile was threatening to appear on his face.

"I didn't say anything... Yixing said that." Luhan replied. He pursed his lips in a tight line, pretending not to know anything.

Yixing smiled seeing that the three of them will be seeing each other in college as well. It was not a secret that the three have a common denominator – dancing. And the latter was happy that they still could hang out in the future.

They continued talking for over an hour until their free period was spent and the students needed to be at their homeroom for their last period.

"I'll see you two." Jongin stood onto his feet. He was in a different class, unlike Yixing and Luhan who were classmates. He had to take the other way because his classroom was at the end of the hall opposite to theirs.

And that was how their last day in school was spent, attending their last class and preparing for the big event the next day.

 

 

Luhan was standing in the center of the soccer field, a ball under his feet. He had been kicking the ball for a good hour now, running around the field with nothing in mind and aimless shots.

"What are you doing here?" Another figure appeared at the center, slightly panting from running towards the other male.

Yixing was still in his school uniform like the other male, only that his blazer was nowhere to be found. The latter gazed at the new comer and passed the ball towards his direction. "Let's play." Was what Luhan said before running around, nearing the net to block Yixing from scoring a goal. Yixing followed suit and the two ended up playing a game or two. The time ran quickly until the sun was barely visible. Streaks of red, yellow and orange were already painting the semi dark blue sky, creating a picturesque view but the tall buildings were obstructing the good sight.

"We'll graduate tomorrow... Believe it or not I'll miss this.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter