Chapter 7

Fighting for Light

 

“I can’t tell you everything here,” he begins, “but I can tell you that the light that was coming from you is called chi. It’s basically… power.”

“What?” I furrow my eyebrows. “What kind of power?”

“Internal power,” Kris replies. “Everyone has some chi inside of them- okay, you know what, it’s complicated. Meet me after school today in the parking lot. I have to take you somewhere.”

Suddenly, I realize that while I’ve been fighting, I’ve probably missed the rest of lunch and a class period.

“Oh my god! School! Are they going to file a truancy report or something on me? Will the teachers think that I’m cutting class?” I ask agitatedly.

“Hey. Calm down.” Kris chuckles. “Actually, it’s only been about half an hour. Lunch is going to end in a minute.”

Only half an hour? It felt like so much longer... but I'm not complaining. 

“Just look for me in the parking lot after school,” Kris repeats. “Now go to class. I’ll leave the forest a few minutes after you so we won’t raise any… suspicions.”

My face burning, I sprint through the large trees and thick underbrush and finally exit the forest. The sunlight throws my body into sharp relief, allowing myself what to see what I really look like. And it's not pretty. My shirt has large streaks of dirt all over it, my skirt’s all torn and wrinkled, there are nasty-looking red cuts on my hands, arms, knees, and face, and my hands are covered with blood. 

How dandy. 

When Amy, Key, Jon, and Emily see me approaching them, they quickly rush over to me. “About time you came, but Jessica already- holy crap, what happened to you?!” Emily shrieks, clapping her hands over .

“You’re covered in blood,” Jon sputters. “Hana, I thought you were supposed to get a napkin, not- not-,”

“Hana, we’re going to the nurse,” Key says firmly, but I quickly shake my head.

“No, I’m totally fine, guys,” I reassure weakly. “I just… tripped over… something.” 

"Tripped over what? A chainsaw?" Key snorts. 

"Ha ha. Um, we should go. Class is about to start, right?" I give my friends a half-hearted grin and quickly stride away. 

 

During my last 3 periods, I learn a few things:

1) Webster Academy has 5 football teams but not a single art club.

2) Everyone apparently worships the ground that the Holy Krisus steps on.

3) Key can do a really good Mariah Carey impersonation.

 

Although I'm preoccupied with the extraordinary events of lunchtime, I still manage to notice these things and a variety over other tiny little details. Unfortunately, most of them have to do with Kris. This entire school seems to revolve around the Wus and their million dollar grants and perfect son. It annoys me to no extent. Oh, and apparently he fights monsters in school forests as well. How quaint. 

When the final bell rings, I watch him out of the corner of my eyes are he casually slings his bag over his shoulder and strides out of the classroom, followed by a posse of girls and guys alike. How does he expect us to "talk" when there are about a million people surrounding him?

I bid Emily, Key, Jon, and Amy farewell and head out to the school parking lot. It looks like an expensive car dealership, with all the shiny Mercedes-Benz, Porsches, and Lincolns. Further back, however, are a row of Camrys and Hondas, their color faded and their paint chipping off.

The teacher’s parking lot, I think to myself, and for some reason this makes me smile.

“Oh my god, Kris, you’re so funny!” a high voice titters.

I twist around and there he is, leaning against the hood of his black BMW and smirking superiorly at the crowd of girls that are standing around him. I recognize Jessica from lunch. Her skirt's spotless, and judging by the way she's Kris' bicep and simpering up at him, she doesn't seem to be very mad either. 

Slowly, I inch towards Kris' car, and when I’m within hearing distance of him I cough loudly.

Kris and the girls all stare at me.

“Um.” I say, my face reddening. Oh great, Jessica’s giving me the evil eye. Looks like she still isn't over the events of lunch. “Uh… hi…,”

“Oh, I forgot,” Kris cuts me off. “I was supposed to give her a ride home. See ya.” After waving goodbye to his fangirls- excuse me, the wealthy females of Webster Academy, he gets in his car and slams the door shut. 

"Be happy I'm doing this for you," he snarls. "I'm missing football practice and a possible date with the hottest girl in this school." 

This ought to be pleasant.