Chapter 10

Fighting for Light

 

Captain Sterling outstretches his hand. “We didn’t meet properly,” he smiles. “I’m Captain Richard Sterling of Region 6.”

“What’s Region 6?” I ask, shaking his hand.

“That’ll all be explained in good time-,”

“No.” I bang my hand on his desk in frustration. “I want to know now. I need answers. I’m so confused. I barely know what's going on. I need explanations. Please,” I add, at some attempt at deference. 

Captain Sterling examines me with wide eyes.

Finally, he sighs and says, “I’m sure Kris explained the Hado and Kado to you. Did he tell you about its ranks and formations?” When I shake my head, he continues.

“The universe is everything, anything, all that has existed. In this universe there are two forces: the Hado and Kado.” Sterling grabs a piece of paper and draws out a diagram for me:

 

 

               

“There are 3 worlds in existence; the Earth, the Underworld, and another world which we don’t know many details about. However, we do know that it contains a vast amount of chi; so much that it could possibly burn you up.”

Sterling points to the word “Divisions”. “The Earth is broken up into Divisions by continent. North America is Division 3. Every Division is then broken up into a number of Regions. Region 6- our Region- covers the mid-Eastern United States, and everyone in Region 6 reports to Headquarters." 

"Oh, I almost forgot," he says, "every Region, Division, and World is headed by a Captain and a Lieutenant." 

It's a good thing he's said all this stuff slowly. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to wrap my head around this. 

“So what are squads then?” I clarify.

“Squads are 2 to 3 members in a Region that work together to fight whatever Kado monsters or forces may appear in their area.”

“So is Kris on a squad with Avi and Kai?”

Captain Sterling shakes his head. “Kris is a special case. He was put in charge of his area alone, due to the fact that there isn't as much Kado activity in his area... and because he’s an exceptionally strong Fighter.”

I raise my eyebrows. Kris isn't just a prissy little heir? Shocking. 

“Now, let us begin your induction.” Captain Sterling places my hand on a large, tightly bound silver book lettered with only one word: “Hado”.

“Do you, Kim Hana, promise to uphold and protect the Hado way until death take your life?”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, death?” I stammer, quickly withdrawing my hand. “I barely know anything about this Hado business. How am I supposed to swear to sacrifice my life to this organization.”

“Believe me, I don’t want to be this hasty about it either,” Captain Sterling admits in a low voice. “But the bond between you and Kris has already been created and the Kado will be after you. Either live your life in isolation, running from monsters your entire life, or join the Hado and fight.”

I bury my head in my hands.

After a few minutes of pondering, I take a deep breath and say, “I’ll do it. I’ll join.” Placing my hand on the book again, I whisper, “I swear to uphold and protect the Hado.

Suddenly I feel a snap under my hand. I jerk back my arm, rubbing my palm in pain. “Ow! What was that?”

 “You’re not being sincere,” Captain Sterling tells me. “You have to really mean it when you make this oath. Try again, except speak the truth this time.”

The truth?

I warily put my hand on the book again and murmur, “I will try my best to uphold and protect the Hado. I will do everything that I can.”

A warm sensation flows through my body, moving through my veins and my arms and my legs. It feels like something is growing in my chest, overtaking me and giving me strength, power, and most of all, peace of mind. For a second everything feels balanced, calm, perfect. Then the sensation gradually ebbs away. 

When I look down at my hand there’s a small purple circle tattooed on my wrist, a series of curlicues imprinted inside the circle. It is slightly throbbing and it aches just a little bit. I raise it to the light in wonder, my eyebrows raised.

“That is your avastama,” Captain Sterling informs me, pulling back his shirt sleeve and showing me a similar tattoo. “It will alert your senses to levels of chi. Kris will explain more about that during your training.”

Oh thank god. I was expecting this avastama branding to be some painful process involving tongs, a large metal brand, and the fire in the corner of the room.  

Captain Sterling strides over to the door and pulls it open, revealing a mildly irritated Kris.

“Is she done?” he asks him questioningly. 

“Yes. Kris, since Hana will be on your squad, you are in charge of sufficiently training Hana to harness her chi.

“I’m not her babysitter,” Kris growls. “Why do I have to do that?”

“Orders are orders,” Captain Sterling replies smoothly. “And you would do well to follow them. Now, the two of you are dismissed.”

He sits down at his desk and reopens his book. 

 


YOU'RE WELCOME FOR THE ILLUSTRATION I JUST FELT IT WAS NECESSARY SORRY THIS WAS A LOT OF INFORMATION IN ONE CHAPTER 

AND DON'T EVEN MENTION THE WHOLE CAPTAIN/LIEUTENANT THING I REALIZED IT WAS FROM BLEACH LIKE 9 MINUTES AFTER I WROTE IT /creys