Chapter 28

Fighting for Light

I wake up to the sound of an incessant beeping noise. My alarm clock. I internally groan. 

Groggily fumbling around my dresser and turning the alarm off, I heave myself out of bed and head to Kris’ room. It’s pitch black outside, with only the faint chirp of crickets breaking the silence in the air.

5:01 AM, the alarm clock tells me in angular red numbers.

After flipping on his bedroom light I stride inside and shake Kris awake. "Wake up," I command (admittedly a little sleepily). "We have to go to the library." 

Kris dazedly opens his eyes and props himself up on an elbow. “What’re you doing here?” he murmurs huskily, running a hand through his dishelved blonde bed hair.

No. It is too early in the morning to get all flustered over Kris' attractive just-got-out-of-bed behavior.

“We have to go search the library, remember? Get up.” I kick his leg repeatedly until he finally grumbles "Fine, fine." 

“Usually I’m the one who wakes you up,” he yawns. "You're getting more disciplined."

"Yeah, yeah," I roll my eyes. When Kris ungracefully tumbles out of bed, collapsing on the floor, I snort. “I can see you’re incredibly coordinated in the morning."

“Shut up, Hana,” he groans. “I’m too tired. Let me go get ready.”

“Please do. Oh, and put some pants on.”

"Why? I thought you liked seeing me in only my boxers." Even at 5 in the morning, he manages to make his smirk extra-annoying. 

I give him another kick and get out of his room. 

 


 

Hours of searching at the library still gives us no viable results. All the books we’ve checked so far are totally normal- aside from the ripped pages and occasional burn marks. It’s grueling, frustrating work. I swear, if I ever have children, I’m never reading them bedtime stories. "Green Eggs and Ham"? More like "Green Eggs and Go To Sleep".

At around 8:50 AM, Kris and I transport out of the library and walk over to a café a few blocks away to grab some coffee before going and doing our homework. It's a small picker-upper for our disappointing day.

However, when we’re walking up to the entrance of the building, the door slams straight into my head and I fall to the floor.  

“Oh my gosh!” a familiar voice gasps. “I am so sor- Hana?”

Key’s standing above me, gaping. He bites his lip and offers me a hand up.

“I am so, so sorry. Are you okay?” he frets, rubbing my forehead. Key's worried face is admittedly adorable. I giggle and gently push his hand away. 

“I’ll be okay. Don’t even worry about it.” I smile. “Are you here alone or-,”

“No, I’m with Amy. She’s getting her coffee.” Key gestures behind himself.

Peering behind him, I see a tall blonde girl taking a cup of some foamy brown liquid from a waiter. She smiles at him and then turns around. When she spots me, her face lights up in a smile.

“Hey!” Amy chirps, playfully shoulder-bumping me. “What’re you doing here?”

“Oh, I was going to go grab some coffee with-,” I’m about to say “Kris”, but I remember just in time that Key and Amy don’t know about our friendship.

If they find out that I went to a café with Kris Wu, the guy that they loathe…

“-with no one! I just... wanted... coffee.” I finish awkwardly.

Key chuckles. On the other hand, Amy’s looking at me dubiously, like she knows something’s up.

“Oh god.” Key looks at something past my shoulder. “11 o’ clock. Guess who it is.”

Amy whirls around and curls a lip.

“What’s Wu doing here?” she mutters. I cringe, slowly turning on my heel.

Kris is standing in line in front of the cashier, waiting to place an order. Apparently some people from school were at the café too, because sure enough he’s surrounded by a group of fans- I mean, classmates.

When he sees Amy, Key, and I staring at him, he throws us a condescending look and turns away.

"I really just want to punch him in the face a few times,” Key growls, slamming a fist into his open palm. “He’s so annoying.”

“Tell me about it,” Amy scoffs, turning away from Kris.

I, on the other hand, am still looking at Kris. I didn’t think he would leave me so quickly, just because he found some of his fellow popular rich friends. That's such a two-faced thing to do...

Kris must’ve sensed my stare, because he turns around again and looks at me. His eyes are strangely alight with an annoyed emotion. Why?

Ah, forget this. I’m going to ignore him and spend time with Amy and Key. It’s not like I can go hang out with Kris now anyway; his friends would skin me alive with their disdainful stares. Plus, he’s being super snooty. 

I turn back around and don't look at him again. 

 


A/N: Yikes, why's Kris being such a D?

This chapter was sort of filler~ and the next chapter will kind of be as well. But don't worry, Kris and Hana are going to discover something very important pretty soon ;D 

If you like this story feel free to comment and upvote! :) I love you all~