Chapter 4

Fighting for Light

 

When lunch time rolls around, I head down to the lake with my new friends. We plop down in the grass and bask in the sunlight, occasionally throwing crumbs of bread to the ducks.

I get to know Amy, Emily, Jon, and Key a lot better. I'm starting to like them more and more. 

Even though I'm making new friends, I still feel guilty about my sisters back home... 

But I don't think they would want me to mope away my time here obsessing over them.

So I try and let loose and stop worrying.

"Why the long face?" Key asks, looking at me with a questioning look.

"Oh, it's nothing." I smile half-heartedly and look down at the hasty PB&J sandwich I made this morning.

"Do you want one of my cookies?" he asks.

I grin and nod. "Yes, please, I love cookies-,"

Key cuts me off by throwing the cookie in my face, grinning cheekily. 

"Did you seriously just do that?" I ask, half-laughing, half-yelling. "You-," I throw one of Pringles chips at him. He ducks behind Jon, laughing, and the chip hits Jon.

"Hey!" Jon throws his ranch dip at me and I jump out of the way. Pretty soon we're all throwing food at each other in one of the most enjoyably epic food fights I've ever been in. 

"Hey, Amy!" Emily pelts her with grapes. "This is for that one time when you wouldn't buy me an extra slice of pizza!" Amy giggles and launches a slice of ham at Emily. 

“Key, this is for that cookie!” I yell, and I rip open a ketchup packet, aim it at Key's hair, and squeeze as hard as I can.

The ketchup flies through the air and hits-

Some random girl.

“Oh my GOD!” she screeches, gaping at her skirt... which is drenched with the red condiment. “You- you- my skirt!

“I’m so sorry,” I apologize, clapping a hand over my mouth. “Um, I’ll get napkins!”

“How could you?!” the girl yells, tears filling her eyes. “You’re horrible!”

“It was an accident, Jessica,” Amy protests, then turns to me. “Hana, you won’t be able to enter any of the main buildings during lunch. Try going to the shed near the polo field, it's straight ahead and to the right. They have a bathroom and paper towels there. We’ll take care of her.” She discreetly motions towards Jessica, who’s wailing and crying, shaking her perfect blonde curls.

“Got it.” I take out my crumpled school map and sprint away, looking for the polo field. After running for a good 10 minutes, I find myself smack dab in the middle of a grassy field.

I whirl around confusedly. I can no longer see the lake, or my friends, or that Jessica girl.

“How does a polo field even look like?” I mutter, scratching my head. “Okay, so Amy said I have to take a right after I walk ahead... but how far is ahead? Where am I?”

I run to the right, trying to find the polo field (or any school building, actually) but I must have gone too far ahead.

Finally I head so far out that I reach the forest.

“Seriously?” I groan. I’m about to turn around and backtrack my steps when I hear what sounds like a screech coming from the middle of the trees.

I freeze.

I must have been imagining it, I think. Why would a noise like that be here?

But then I hear it again, followed by… grunting?

And slowly, I begin to sense something. Like the forest is pulling the pit of my stomach, drawing it in. 

It's not strong...

But I can definitely feel it. 

I uneasily bite my lip. Is this a result of the 4 hours of sleep I got last night? Are these pulls and howls and growls just a result of my hungry stomach?

I present myself a question: Should I go inside the forest, where there could be poisonous snakes, lizards, animals, where I could possibly get in trouble if I'm caught in there, where it'll be dark and spooky...

Or should I just turn back?

Pft. Who am I even kidding.

I push aside a branch and step inside the forest.

As soon as I enter the forest I am enveloped in thick darkness. I can barely see a few yards in front of me. At first I walk confidently, towards the pull, towards the eerie noises. But then as I advance in this tight-knit area of tall trees that look like they're closing in on me... fear overtakes my senses. A cold shudder runs through my body. I shouldn’t have entered the forest. What was I even thinking?! 

Okay, Hana, breathe. I inhale and exhale slowly. Then I slowly continue making my way through the thick underbrush. The noises are getting even louder now. Along with grunting and screeching, there are clanging sounds, like someone's banging two metal rods together.

My stomach clenches, but I force myself to take a few more steps.

I've gone this far. I can't turn back now. 

And that’s when I see him.

His face contorted in an expression of pain, his left arm dripping with blood. His previously clean white uniform shirt is now ripped and torn with black splotches of mud. Bright red scratches cover his cheeks and forearms. 

He is glaring at something with such intensity, such hatred that it's terrifying.

Mustering up his strength, he breaks into a sprint and launches himself onto a tree branch that should be higher than he should ever be able to reach. From there he raises his right arm and throws himself off the tree, quickly moving his right arm down.

Judging by his furious expression he missed whatever he was aiming for; instead, he tumbles onto the ground, wincing in pain. 

“K-Kris? Kris Wu?” I gasp loudly. “Are you okay?”