Chapter 30

Fighting for Light

Kris stumbles back as I use my chi to flash out of his sight and then reappear right in front of his face. Before he regains his balance I hurl a succession of quick, hard punches at him. He barely blocks them; I manage to make contact with his face at least twice, however. Sweeping my leg across the ground I knock him down to the grass, then pounce on him. He scuttles to the side before I can land on him, however.

“Hana,” he grunts, panting. “How did you suddenly-,”

I interrupt his sentence by concentrating a ball of chi in my hand and launching it at his stomach. When it makes contact, he lets out an agonized scream and curls over.

I feel wonderful. Amazing. Like I am the most powerful being in the world. My entire body is a flaming apparatus; a human weapon. Nothing can stop me. Adrenaline rushes into my veins as I launch into a roundhouse kick and knock Kris back to the ground. Red droplets spatter on the ground, the bright red contrasting with the dark asfalto of the dirt. The sight sends a pulsing feeling into my body and I feel myself shine brighter.

I form another chi ball, but before I can aim it at Kris a streak of light arcs through the air.

He’s unsheathed his sword.

This means he’s turning serious.

Kris skillfully slices his sword upwards, intending to cut my shoulder, but I twist out of the way just in time.

Every one of his movements look like he’s moving in slow motion. This is too easy.

Even when Kris is equipped with his sword I manage to brutally assail him with various attacks, every one of them hitting their designed target on his body. His sword only grazes my skin a few times on accident. Finally, I teleport behind him and manage to grab him in a headlock, kicking upwards on the hilt of his sword so that it flies out of his hands. 

“I win,” I rasp triumphantly-

And all of a sudden everything stops.

My energy seems to desert me in the span of a few seconds. My vision blurs and begins to spin all around. There is a strange buzzing noise in my ears. It feels like a deep metal claw has clutched my trachea; I can’t breathe.

My last thought before I slip to the ground is, What have I done?

 


 

“Kai, she’s blinking!”

The sounds of the door hitting the wall and heavy footsteps resonate through my ears. “How’s her temperature?”

“Still so high. She’s barely alive.”

“Then why aren’t we taking her to a goddamn hospital?! We’re not professionals, we can’t take care of two injured people!”

A blinding pain is throbbing in my head. My entire body feels like it’s burning up again; except unlike last time, the sensation isn’t pleasant at all.

“Calm down. If we take her to the hospital then questions will be asked. How’re you going to explain that she passed out while she was in a death match with another guy?”

“Uhhhhmm,” I croak. My throat feels like it’s been rubbed against a sheet of sandpaper. “W…wa…ter. Water.”

 “Hana's thirsty. Get her water.”

A few seconds later, a straw is gently guided into my mouth. Every sip of water makes me feel more refreshed. By the time I hear the coarse noise of my straw an empty cup, I feel a little less hot... but only a little. 

When I open my eyes I am greeted by the sight of Avi and Kai standing over me, staring at me concernedly. I am lying down on a large, downy bed in a warmly lit room. The blinds over the windows are shut so I can't tell what time it is. “What happened?” I wheeze.

Suddenly all the memories of what happened during me and Kris’ training session comes flooding back to me. My eyes widen. “Kris- is he okay? Where is he?”

“He’s okay,” Avi says gently. “Hana, we could sense your chi all the way from Westbrook. I didn’t know you possessed that kind of power.”

“Same,” I whisper. “I don’t know what exactly happened… all of a sudden I just exploded. I became stronger and faster.” The memory of Kris’s blood, of his bruised face, of his damaged body fill my mind. And worse, those sights gave me a rush. They made me feel more powerful. 

How could I do that to Kris?!

Tears trickle out of the corners of my eyes and into my ears. I have to go apologize now.

“Hey Hana… don’t mention this incident while you’re around any other people than me, Avi, or Kris,” Kai says uneasily. “We didn’t report this to HQ. We don’t want you to get in trouble, or… be experimented on.”

Experimented on? Why would they do that?

"You've been out of school for 3 days now," he continues, causing my jaw to drop. "If anyone asks, say you came down with a strain of flu. I forged you and Kris's doctor's papers already." 

I bite my lip and look away. This is all my fault. 

“Your own chi almost burned you up,” Avi murmurs. “Work on harnessing it, Hana. I don’t want you to get hurt again. But seriously, the amount of chi you had… how is it even possible for you to possess that much power? It’s only been a few months since you joined the Hado.

“Didn’t Kris say that she used his weapon, though? They have a chi bond, so maybe it’s his chi that was acting with her chi.” Kai speculates. Avi shakes her head.

“Kris has a lot of power, but unless he combined it with an extremely powerful Fighter's chi, we wouldn't be able to sense it miles and miles away in Westbrook.” Avi shakes her head. “Whatever, we’ll figure this out later. For now, just rest, Hana.” 

They exit my room and gently shut the door, leaving me alone with my massive guilt. 

 


A/N: Poor Kris :( any theories? I shall discuss with you~