Chapter 31

Fighting for Light

The next time I awaken, I am determined to go see Kris.

Shakily pushing myself out of bed, I painfully limp out of my room. There are two doors in sight and what looks like the beginning of a hallway on the other end of the room. Let me check these first two rooms first, I decide. If I can even make it there.  

It takes all my energy to stumble to the first door, and it turns out that it is only a bathroom. Clutching my stomach and panting, I crouch down to the carpeted floor and lower my head. This is insane. I’ve never been so exhausted in my life. Not only do I feel clammy and feverish, but I feel like I sprinted an entire marathon in an oven. All I want to do is go back to sleep…

And then the image of Kris’s bruised, bloodied face flashes in my mind.

No. I have to find him. I have to apologize, at least. 

I pick myself up and hobble to the next door. Please let this be it, I pray, and twist the doorknob.

Inside is Kris, sitting in his bed, reading a book. When he hears the creak of the door opening, he looks up, startled.

“Hana.” he says in a neutral voice.

“K- Kris.” Half of his body- including an arm, his head, and his chest- is bandaged up. A pair of grey crutches sits propped up against a dresser next to his bed. Scratches and bruises dot his pale skin. My eyes widen. I did this to him.

I callously maimed my best friend.

I scuff to the side of Kris’s bed and take his hand.

“Kris, I am so sorry,” I whisper, my voice cracking with emotion and a sore throat. “I don’t know what happened, I swear-,”

“It’s alright, Hana.” Kris’s tone is one that a schoolteacher would take with a child that forgot her homework. Even, steady, mildly irritated. “You didn’t know your own powers. Now go back to your room and sleep. Oh, yeah, you beat me for the first time, didn’t you?” he adds, his lips twisting up into a mocking half-smile. “You must be happy.”

My jaw drops. I didn’t expect for him to have this reaction. I knew that Kris wouldn’t be overjoyed to see me after what I did to him. I thought he would act reproachful and hurt, but would accept my apology and then tease me about it. That's the Kris thing to do.

I didn’t know he would act so cold and clipped towards me. He doesn't even care that I've come to see him. He sounds so fed up with me- 

Then it hits me: all I’ve ever been towards Kris is a burden.

He had to train me. He had to watch over me. He had to teach me. He had to protect me. 

It gets tiresome after a while. 

What have I done for him? Give him food? Let him stay over? Those few measly acts don’t make up for all he has done for me. Kris has probably reached his limit now.

“Aren’t you going?” he asks, not looking up from his book.

I sink to the floor and lean up against his bed, clutching my knees to my chest. I’m too drained to go back to my room. I’ll just stay here for a little while until I have more energy, I tell myself.

Don’t cry, you don’t deserve to cry. This is your fault. Don’t stay in Kris’s room, you’ll just annoy him.

Unsteadily hoisting myself up I try to make my way out of Kris’s room. My vision is blurred and my head is throbbing and I just want to lie down. I have to get… back…

I crash to the floor. “Hana!” Kris exclaims from his bed. He reaches towards his crutches but I mumble, “Don’t. I’m fine.”

“Wha- no you’re not. You can barely walk-,”

“What do you want me to do about it?” I retaliate. “Just… give me a few minutes, and I’ll be out of your hair.”

 A look of realization dawns on Kris’s face, and he sighs. “Hana. I didn't mean to act so snippy with you.”

“It’s not your fault,” I reply. “I would be pissed myself.”

“No- it’s just that I was- well- I-,”

“Forget it, Kris.” I try once more to lift myself up and walk, and it works. “I’m sorry. I really am. Now I’m going to go sleep.”

 


A/N: It was so painful writing this chapter... you'll see why soon. Just keep this chapter in mind because it's important, although it doesn't seem like it now. 

I'm sorry I sound so nebulous LOL