Chapter 20

Fighting for Light

The owner of the voice is a skimpy purple dog standing on its stubby hind legs. However, this dog's head is strangely elongated, and its eyes are 3 times its original size. I narrow my eyes. This monster has a glint of slyness in its eyes. 

"What are you?” Kris asks warily, raising his sword a little higher.

“Kris Wu,” the dog says in a singsong voice. “16 years old and one of the strongest Fighters of Region 10. They gave you the entire area of Spring Valley to guard alone. And your father… oh-”

“Don’t talk about him!” Kris snarls furiously. 

“Ooh, touchy subject.” The dog cracks a smug smile. “And who do we have here?”

“That doesn’t matter,” I hiss. “The only thing we care about is you getting out of Spring Valley. I don’t know what you are or-,”

“Hana Kim.” The dog’s jaw drops. “No. No way."

"How do you know my name?" I question. 

"Oh, this is good," the dog says, shaking his head unbelievably. "Oh, this is really good."

And he starts guffawing madly, clutching his stomach with his two front paws.

Kris and I exchange a bewildered look. “How do you know who I am?” I repeat.

“This is just too precious.” The dog collapses on the floor, shaking with laughter. “Holy Kado, this is great.”

“NOW!” Kris yells and both of us sprint forward, ready to attack the dog. I bring my right hand down in a chopping motion across the dog's stomach, but it almost leisurely spirals backwards out of reach. The monster dodges Kris’ sword and my next round kick.

“I was wondering,” the dog chortles, “why the chi level in this area was so high. And now I see that Kris Wu and Hana Kim are fighting together as a team. The both of you have forged a bond as well, haven’t you? You two have no idea, do you?”

 “What are you talking about?!” I scream frustratedly, launching my entire body at him. Just as my elbow is about to make contact with his gut, he flits away. “Where did he go?” I yell.

“He probably ran away super quickly using his chi. Do you remember the running technique we practiced where you channeled your chi into your feet and-,”

“Oh. Got it.” I sharply examine the area around me, looking for any conspicuous blotches of purple. 

“How did that monster gather so much intel about us?" Kris mutters, wiping a trail of sweat off his face. “It's almost as if he knows something that we don't-,"

“Oh, I do," an amused voice above us says. I look up and there, suspended 5 feet above us, is the purple dog itself.

“I was waiting for you,” it continues. “Our monsters have been attracted by an exceptionally strong pull of chi in this area recently. I was assigned to go inspect the area. I didn’t know that this place had gained another Fighter… and that the Fighter was the daughter of the Kims.”

“Wait, my parents?!” I say confusedly. “Hate to break it to you, but they weren’t exactly prestigious. They worked a 9 to 5 job downtown in some office complex. Well, I don't know if they still do that now because they abandoned me and-,”

“That’s because they’re dead." 

There is absolute silence.

I blankly stare up at the dog.

“How… how do you know that?” I demand. “I don’t even know who you are! I can’t trust you!”

“Oh, believe me, sweetheart.” The monster smirks. “As for who killed them… well, I don’t think you want to know.”

“What are you talking about?!” I screech, clenching my fists. This stupid dog monster- what does he even know? My anger is steadily rising. I channel chi into my lower body and spring up into the air, getting on-level with the dog. Pivoting on my right foot I kick out my left leg. The monster merely floats a few inches to the left, easily dodging my kick.

“I have to go back and report my findings now,” the monster gleams. “This has been the most interesting thing that's happened since... forever. I think we'll all get a kick out of this one.”

And he dissipates until there are absolutely no traces left of him. I feel the chi in my knees and legs weaken and I plummet to the ground. Kris catches me just in time.

“WHERE DID HE GO?!” I holler. “He just disappeared-,

“He probably went back to the Underworld,” Kris says in a robotic voice. The look on his face shows me that he is absolutely shaken as well. “There are 3 Worlds that we know of in this Universe: Earth and other planets, the Underworld, and another World which we know almost nothing about- only that is contains an immense amount of power. The Underworld is the territory of the Kado.

I would question Kris futher about the Worlds or whatever, but the expression on his face is a little disconcerting.

How did that monster know so much about us?

How did he know more about us than we know about ourselves? 

How come Kris hates his father so much?

Was the monster lying about my parents? Or were they actually killed? 

And most of all...

What is the secret that the dog found so much pleasure in knowing?

 


A/N: Mysterious mysterious~ What do you think the secret is?