Chapter 16 - Day 14

Tied Together

 

       Kwangyeon had stumbled into his room and just stood there. He fell to the floor and began sobbing loudly. The bassist was heartbroken and confused. But in his heart, he felt only pain. He felt as if a hand reached into his chest and was squeezing his heart. He felt constricted, as if he couldn't breathe. Kwangyeon clutched his chest and curled up into a ball on the floor. He was sobbing uncontrollably, and he felt as if no one would care. He screamed and yelled, but the sound came out strangled and pained. Kwangyeon stood slowly and stumbled out of his room like a drunkard. He was pulled back, and he looked down and saw the cloth. At this point, he didn't care about a punishment. He wanted to get away, and it was the last day anyway. Without a second thought, the bassist ripped the cloth off of his wrist and ran out the dorm.
       Kyumin walked out the bathroom, face void of emotion. He heard the front door close, and he looked to see that the other end of the cloth was empty. He blankly picked up the opposite end and just stared at it. Hyoseok entered the dorm as he had just returned from his schedule. The said boy stopped in his tracks when he noticed Kyumin. The boy's face was tear-stained, and he looked like an empty shell. He was holding the other end of the cloth in a loose grip and looked like a doll, lifeless. He looked utterly heartbroken.
       "Kyumin? Are you okay? Where's Kwang-" Hyoseok was cut short.
       "DON'T SAY HIS NAME!" The drummer watched as his bandmate fell to his knees and began crying. He walked closer and placed a hand on the rapper's shoulder.
       "Kyumin, what happened?"
       "H-he...he h-hates me! He d-didn't say anything! He didn't f-fight for m-me! H-he j-just walked a-away..." 효석 thought he understood the situation.
       "Did K-...did he break up with you?" All the members of ledapple knew of the pair's relationship due to Kwangyeon squealing in his room about it when everyone else was in the living room.
       "N-no! I b-broke up w-with h-him."
       "Why did you do that?" Hyoseok only received a strangled sob as an answer. The drummer slowly wrapped his arms around his friend and let him cry as much as he needed to. Half an hour later, Kyumin's sobs were reduced to occasional sniffles. "Kyumin, can you tell me why you broke up with him, now?" The said boy took a shaky breath before speaking.
       "You know how today is the last day of us being tied together, right?" Hyoseok nodded. "Well, our manager came today, and he started saying how we could be free of each other and that we can finally live separate lives again. I got upset because I thought that Kwangyeon wouldn't want to be with me anymore. I thought that he'd be so glad about today being our last day, that he'd go back to hating me. I...I guess I wanted to see if he really cared about me... It's stupid. I'm stupid. After all this time, after everything he's told me, I still feel insecure about if he really loves me or not. Even after he confessed and spilled his feelings out to me, I can't help but think that he may not really love me. I told him...I told him that I hated him and that we were over. I thought that if he really loved me, he'd do something to keep me. I thought that he might yell, refuse, or even break down the door and hug me and tell me that he'd never let me go. Instead, I received silence as an answer. He didn't say anything. He just left."
       "Kyumin...do you...do you want to know a secret?" Kyumin hesitantly nodded. "I...ImayormaynothaveseenhimrunningawayfromthedormcryingwhenIwaswalkingherefrommyschedule." Kyumin blinked as he tried processing what he had just heard. When it finally clicked in his mind, he screamed.
       "HYOSEOK YOU DUMB-! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME EARLIER OR STOP HIM!? YOU ARE SO STUPID! HE COULD BE ANYWHERE BY NOW! HE LEFT LIKE HALF AN HOUR AGO! OH MY GOD HYOSEOK I AM SO PISSED AT YOU! DUMB-!" The drummer flinched and looked down guiltily. Kyumin noticed the action and sighed. He hugged Hyoseok tightly. "Thank you though. Thank you for comforting and listening to me. Thank you for holding me when I cried. Thank you for telling me, even if I did get mad. I'm sorry for yelling, I just...you really should have told me earlier... Thank you for being a great friend, Hyoseok hyung." The said boy just smiled slightly and gently pushed the rapper away.
       "What are you doing, Kyumin? Don't you have someone you should be looking for?" The youngest member widened his eyes and dashed out of the dorm. The drummer just looked toward the door and laughed when it shut. "He's adorable when he's in love."
       Kyumin stopped in his tracks when he realized that he didn't know where his boy- where his ex-boyfriend was. He thought hard until he remembered something. "Everyone thinks that there's a swamp here, so they don't usually enter this part of the park. I only found out that it wasn't a swamp because I came here wanting to see a swamp. I was disappointed, but I like coming here to think." The rapper smiled at the memory and that he found out the most likely place for Kwangyeon to be. He took off toward the park with only one goal. He was going to tell Kwangyeon he loves him. He wasn't going to hesitate. He was going to explain everything, apologize, and tell him he loves him. He wasn't going to let his fears and doubts in the way. He was going to tell Kwangyeon that he loves him, no matter what.
      Kyumin ran to the park, never even stopping to catch his breath. When he arrived to the secluded area, his knees crumpled beneath him. The rapper scanned his surroundings and couldn't see the bassist anywhere. Hearing a sniffle, he looked around more carefully. Still not catching sight of Kwangyeon, he paused and listened. Another sniffle came. It sounded as if it came from above him. He looked up into the tree and saw a leg dangling from a branch. up his fear, he silently climbed the tree. When Kyumin reached the branch, his heart shattered at the sight of Kwangyeon. The latter's face was red and marked with dried tears. His hair was mussed, and his hand was clutching at his chest. Kwangyeon was still letting out some dry sobs and hiccuping every few seconds. Kyumin reached out hesitantly and stopped his hand from inching forward when it was about a centimeter from the bassist's shuddering back.
       "...K-Kwangyeon...?" He spoke hesitantly. The bassist visibly stiffened at the sound of the younger's voice. The former slowly turned his head and widened his eyes at the sight of the latter.
       "Y-you...are you okay? You look...have you been crying a lot?" Kyumin had the urge to slap the older then and there at the stupid question.
       "You look a lot worse than I do."
       "I've been crying for a little over an hour and a half without stopping." The younger's heart, which was piecing itself back together, shattered again.
       "Was it...was it because of me?" He received a nod as an answer. "I'm sorry...I just...I..." He sighed when he failed to string the words together.
       "Why did you break up with me so suddenly?" Kyumin's breath caught in his throat and he wanted to bury himself in a ditch. Kwangyeon had asked the one question he had wanted to avoid. "Do you really hate me? Even after everything we've said to each other, you hate me? You said before that you wanted to hate me, so I won't have trouble believing that you actually do hate me. It's understandable. If you hate m-"
       "I love you." Kyumin finally managed to get the words out of his throat. Kwangyeon's eyes widened at the words that cut him off.
       "Y-you...l-love me?" Kwangyeon was confused and glad, but he was still heartbroken. "Then why did you break up with me? Why did you tell me that you hate me?"
       "I was still so insecure about whether or not you actually loved me. You didn't seem bothered by today being the last day of being tied together, so I thought you were glad that you were going to be separated from me. I thought you would go back to hating me. I...I was testing the waters. It was stupid, but I was testing your love for me. I thought that...I thought that maybe if I dumped you, you'd fight for me. That you'd reject the idea completely and tell me that you'll never leave me. You...you didn't do anything. You just...left..."
       "I was heartbroken! You sprung a breakup on me after only two days of dating! That made me think that you never actually liked me, that all of your confessions were fake. I felt pained. My heart hurt, and I couldn't take it. Once the words left your mouth, tears poured out of me like water that broke free from a dam. I couldn't take it. It hurt, Kyumin. It hurt so, so much."
       "I'm really sorry. What I did...it hurt the both of us. I'll never do something like that again. I swear. I just...I hope that you're willing to take me back."
       "No." Kyumin's heart didn't shatter this time. This time, it felt like his heart was ripped from his chest, squeezed, thrown on the ground, stepped on, picked up, chewed, spit out, stepped on, picked up, and shoved back into his chest. "I won't take you back because you never really left. Even if you dumped me, you never left your place in my heart. We're still together, and we always will be, whether you like it or not." Kyumin's heart was repaired as if a kindhearted wizard stumbled upon it and worked his magic onto his heart to heal it. The rapper threw himself into the bassist arms and began giggling.
       "That's the answer I wanted to hear." Kwangyeon smiled at his boyfriend's adorableness.
       "I love you, Kyumin."
       "I love you too, Kwangyeon."
       Kyumin looked up at Kwangyeon and smiled. The latter copied the action and cupped the former's face in his hand. The other was on Kyumin's waist. The said boy's arms were wrapped around the bassist's neck. Kyumin nuzzled his face into the crook of Kwangyeon's neck. He raised his head again and stared lovingly into his boyfriend's eyes. Kwangyeon slowly pulled Kyumin's face closer to his own and connected their lips in a sweet, loving kiss. It was a short kiss, but it conveyed all of their feelings for each other. They pulled apart and rested their forehead on the other's. They smiled at each other and held each other as if they were never going to let go.