Tutor

Just Can't Say 'No'

 

                Ella twirled the digits of her locker combo and pulled opened the metal door. A smile grew wide as she grabbed her Calc 1 textbook.

                “Yay~~~! Math first block today!” she hugged the book to her check and giggled.

                “I…I don’t get you sometimes. The happy part, I get, but the whole ‘I love Math’ part just…My brain cannot comprehend,” Sandeul pulled on his hair and shook his head. He watched her happily skip ahead, spinning in circles holding her book at arm’s length. Students pointed and laughed at the happy-go-lucky girl. They mocked her love of Math. Nobody in Tae Mun High liked school and studying, let alone Math. Except for the nerds. But, we won’t categorize her with them, she’s cooler than that.

                “What’s there not to love about Math?” she looked at him incredulously. Sandeul couldn’t help but shake his head.

                “You’re the only person who likes it, Ella.”

                “Really? BLASPHEMY! The kids who sit at the front of my class like it!” she pouted. He grabbed her shoulders.

                “Don’t make friends with them. It’ll make your life worse, got it?” he warned her. She tilted her head, confused, but nodded her head nonetheless. He let go of her and they walked side by side to her class. “If you don’t mind me asking, why do you like Math so much?” he asked.

                “Besides the fact that it’s my strongest subject, I like it because it’s universal.”

                “Universal?”

                “Yeah, universal. It’s the same everywhere in the world. It fascinates me knowing that I can live in another country and not know one word of their language, but still be able to solve Math problems,” she shrugged like it was nothing. Sandeul stopped and gazed at her. She took a couple more steps before she noticed he wasn’t beside her. “Why’d you stop?”

                “Oh, sorry. I was just…admiring,” he sped ahead.

                “Admiring?”

                “Yeah. I never thought about Math that way before. You never cease to amaze me,” he chuckled. The two reached the Math class. “I’ll pick you up after class. Bye!”

                “See you later, Oppa!” Ella waved and skipped to her seat. Little did she know, her good day was going to take a turn for the worst.

//

[MC Tales: Turn for the worst, huh? How come I have a feeling Jin Young’s got something to do with it? Aish, let’s see what happens…]

//

                “Mr. Jung. Can you please stay behind. There’s something I need to discuss with you. It’s very important.” Jin Young let out an annoyed breath and sat back down. He rolled his eyes at the joyous students scrambling out to lunch. ‘This better be good. I’m missing lunch,’ he grimaced at the teacher. She came over and sat down in the seat in front of him.

                “What’s up, Teach?” he twirled his pencil through his fingers, obviously not interested.

                “Jin Young-ah. The other teachers and I are worried about you. You’re doing poorly in all of your classes and you barely show up. And if you do attend, you’re plugged in,” she sighed and pulled out his earphones. He leered at her and grabbed the pencil. She grabbed the pencil from him and gave him a stern look. For a piece of wood, it sure was a distraction. He rolled his eyes and sat back in his seat.

                “I don’t see what you’re all so worried about. Besides, I’ll be gone after graduation---,” the teacher cut him off.

                “That’s the thing. You’re failing my class. At this rate, you won’t be graduating.” Reality struck him like a brick wall and his mind went blank. In his years of education, he had never failed a class. His parents threatened to skin him alive if he ever did. What would they do if he didn’t graduate? ‘They’d probably boil then bury me. A slow painful death, followed by a quick clean up,’ he shuddered. The thought of that punishment made him sick to his stomach.

                “What can I do to raise my mark? Teacher, I need to graduate,” he sat up straight in his chair. She was surprised by the sincerity in his eyes, something she’d never seen before.

                “Well, I had a talk with my best student this morning and she has agreed to tutor you in Math. She will also help you in other subjects if you want to.” Jin Young sighed in relief.

                “Thank you. I’m going to work hard from now on.”

                “That’s good to know. She says to meet her in the library afterschool today. Ask the librarian when you get there and she’ll help you,” she got up and walked back to her desk. Jin Young sighed in relief and stood up. He bowed 90 degrees and held it.

                “Thank you. I’ll be going now,” he stood up and left the classroom. Just as he reached the door, the teacher called him.

                “I forgot to mention that midterms are coming up. Since you’re a special case, the teachers and I have decided to give you this chance. If you get a higher mark on the exam than your grade in class, we’ll replace it with the higher mark.” He nodded his head and bowed out. ‘I’m going to pass my classes, even if it kills me. I have to graduate.’

//

[MC Tales: PFFFFFFT…Jin Young? Studying? I’ll believe it when I see it.]

//

*Afterschool*

                Jin Young rushed into the library and walked up to the counter. ‘Shoot, I’m half an hour late. Who knew the library was on this side of the school?’

                “Um, excuse me. My Math teacher told me my tutor would meet me here.”

                “Oh, yes. She’s in study room number 7 on the 2nd floor.” He hurried up the stairs and searched for the study rooms. ‘I need to frequent the library more often…’ he grumbled as he walked around. After another 10 minutes, he finally found the study rooms, which were conveniently located to the right of the stairs. How he missed it remains a mystery…

*KNOCK KNOCK*

                “Come in,” a light voice, he knew all too well, called out from inside. A giant smirk tugged at his lips and he entered the room.

--

                Ella tapped her fingers on her textbook and checked the clock hanging on the wall. Her student was now half an hour late. Maybe they forgot and left right after school. ‘Or they could be lost, although it seems highly unlikely since they’re a senior….I’ll wait another 10 minutes and then leave.’ She grabbed the copy of the Math 12 textbook her teacher had lent her and flipped through the pages. After 10 minutes, she closed her book right with there was a light knock on the door. ‘Oh, they’re here.’

                “Come in,” she called out. The door slowly opened and when she saw who it was, her heart sunk.

*Flashback: First block*

                ‘Weeeee~~~ Calc!’ Ella skipped to her seat. She always looked forward Math classes as much as everybody hated them. And that’s saying something. The teacher came in and class started.

                To her dismay, the bell rang and class ended. Ella quickly jumped out of her gloomy mood and hummed a merry tune while she packed her books away.

                “Miss Choi, when you’re done, can you come here please?  There’s an important matter I must discuss with you,” the teacher waved her over. Ella picked up her backpack and shuffled to the front of the room.

                “Hello, Teacher,” she bowed respectively.

                “Ella, I have a student in my Math 12 class who needs help. A lot of help. He won’t be able to graduate if he doesn’t pass my class and at his rate, it seems highly unlikely that he will. I was wondering, could you possibly tutor him, if he agrees to my plan? It could count as extra credit if you like.”

                “But, I’m just a junior. Wouldn’t he feel discouraged?” Ella played with the hem of her skirt. She was more worried for her well being than his ego

                “It’s okay,” the teacher chuckled, “if he gives you a problem, you just come to me.” Ella shuffled her feet indecisively. “I can always ask somebody else if you’re worried. But I have to tell you, you’re the best student for this task.”

                “Actually, I’ll do it,” she stuttered. It’s good experience, right? “And you don’t have to give me extra credit or anything.”

                “Great! When do you want to meet him?”

                “How much help does he need?”

                “Let’s just say, he doesn’t know his times tables,” she sighed. Ella coughed and tried to stifle her laughter. The teacher grinned.

                “I guess we should start right away then.”

                “Okay. I’ll tell him to meet you in the library after school. Oh, and he might ask you questions about other classes as well.”

                “Sounds good. Bye, Teacher!” Ella bowed and skipped outside the class and almost ran into Sandeul.

                “Anything new today?” he grabbed her bag and they headed off to the cafeteria.

                “I have to tutor a senior in Math and other subjects. Do you think people will make fun of me?”

                “Probably. You shouldn’t let them faze you. If you feel like their giving you a hard time, find somebody to talk to, okay?” he wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

                “Aww, thanks, Oppa. I’ll make sure to call my Appa when it happens,” she giggled and ran ahead.

                “YAH! I meant me! Call me! Aish!” he growled and ran after her.

*Present: Study room*

                “Well, aren’t you going to welcome your student? Not even pulling out the chair for me, so disrespectful,” Jin Young sneered at her. She shook off the initial shock and unconsciously listened to him. Questions raced through her head. Why him? Why him? Why? Why? Why?!?!?!

                “*cough* So…” she couldn’t even finish her sentence.

                “Teach me,” he glared at her and slammed his textbook onto the table. She flinched and slid her book closer.

                “Sorry…Okay, the first chapter is derivatives. Do you know what these are?”

                “If I did, I wouldn’t be here,” he snapped. As much as he wanted to raise his mark, having her as his tutor wasn’t part of his idea. Especially since she was his slave. He couldn’t have her bossing him around and taking advantage of these tutor sessions. ‘Next thing you know, she’ll retaliate!’

                “Right, Sorry. The teacher mentioned you didn’t know your multiplication. I think we should come back another time--“ he cut her off again.

               “I didn’t just waste my time finding this place only to leave 10 minutes into the lesson. Teach me.” Ella gaped at him.

                “But, I don’t have anything planned--“

                “TEACH. ME.” He slammed his hands onto the table and loomed over her. “Start with the times tables since that’s what the teacher said.” Ella nodded and took out a piece of paper with shaky hands.

//

[MC Tales: Wow, Jin. I know you want to learn, but could you be a little nicer to the girl? *NOPE* ……well, it was worth the try….]

//

                Only one week into the lessons and Ella felt like jumping off the roof of the school. Their lessons were so unproductive. He was going nowhere in his classes. Most of the time, Ella was trying to keep him focused only to get yelled at for talking back to her ‘Master’. If not for Sandeul, she probably would be in a morgue for a mysterious death-by-Jin Young.

                “Hey, you’re done for today, right?” Sandeul met with Ella outside the library. He handed her a yogurt drink which she gladly took. Sandeul had gotten into the habit of studying after school and waited for her to finish tutoring.

                “Yeah, Oppa. You didn’t have to wait again,” she adjusted her backpack with some difficulty. Sandeul picked up the bag and helped her out. “He he, thanks,” she giggled.

                “No problem. I don’t mind waiting. Plus, I get a lot of work done. Anyway, is he still treating you badly?”

                “I would be surprised if he didn’t,” she sighed. “Why can’t he just drop the contract issue during tutoring lessons? Is his pride and ego that big?”

                “Yes. HUGE in fact,” Sandeul rolled his eyes.

                “Well, he’s learning nothing. His hopes of graduating might as well end here,” she kicked the rocks around.

                “Threaten him next time! Tell him exactly that! He’ll get scared and start listening….I hope.” Ella smiled at Sandeul’s attempt to cheer her up.

                “Thanks, Oppa. I’ll try. Anyway, I’m going to go home now,” she gave him a quick hug and started off.

                “Wait!” he ran after her, “Let’s go get ice cream!”

                “Again? We went for shaved ice yesterday already. Are you trying to make me fat?” she pouted at him. His eyes widened and he flailed his arms around.

                “NO! That’s not my intention at all! I just thought you would need a treat after those torture lessons,” he rubbed the back of his head, furrowing his eyebrows. He tried hard to explain himself. Ella giggled and looped her arm through his.

                “I’m just messing with you, Oppa. Of course I’ll go with you,” she tugged at his arm. He pouted at her and stopped walking.

                “That was really mean, Ella,” he looked away. She laughed and jumped in front of him, trying to get eye contact.

                “I’m sorry~~~ Forgive me? Oppa~~~~~,” she sweetly called him. He melted at her voice and peeked at her. She took this chance to look him right in the eyes. Sandeul got lost in her brown orbs and completely forgot what he was angry about. Ella saw his eyes glaze over and knew she had won. “Let’s go~!” she dragged him to the ice cream parlour.

                The bells chimed and greeted the giggling pair. The employees welcomed them as they scanned the display of ice cream tubs. Ella bit her lip, contemplating over which flavour to get.

                “I know you want two. It’s my treat, so get whatever you want,” Sandeul told her.  She jumped and down and like a kid and pointed to her flavours.

                “Raspberry White Chocolate and Strawberry Cheesecake in a cup, please~!” she chimed. Sandeul told her to find a seat and he’ll bring over the tray. He took the orders and brought them to the table.

                “So, how are the lessons? They can’t possibly be that bad,” he asked. Ella stuck her spoon into the soft dessert and sighed for the umpteenth time.

                “Let’s just say, every time I leave the lessons, I feel like half my life had been out of my. It’s mentally and physically tiring because I’m trying to teach someone who won’t give me the time of day and I’m fulfilling his ridiculous tasks,” she pouted and furrowed her brows. Sandeul could tell that is was taking a toll on her. He reached over and lightly smoothed out her forehead. He then pushed up the corners of her lips.

                “I’m sorry I asked. Let’s not talk about it anymore. It hurts me to see you upset.” She softened at his kind words and felt a warmth envelope her chest. ‘He’s always looking out for me,’ she thought. They silently finished off their ice creams and he offered to walk her home.

--

                Midterms were fast approaching and day by day, Jin Young became more agitated and stressed out. The only way he could effectively release his tension was to take it out on Ella. She felt his anxiety and knew that he was restless because of the midterms, so she took his scolding with tight sealed lips. Her ‘after tutor’ get together with Sandeul was something she looked forward to. He listened to her rants and comforted her when she was upset. Maybe that was why she fell for him. She didn’t know when her feelings developed, but she realized them during one of their regular ‘dates’.

//

[MC Tales: AWWWWWWWW….*happy dance* Don’t mind me.]

//

                They strolled through the park nearby the school. Ella was getting some fresh air after another one of her tutoring lessons. She spotted a bench ahead and skipped towards it. She plopped down and leaned back, staring at the pale blue sky. Hints of pink and orange coloured the horizon as the sun set.

                “So how was it today?” Sandeul asked. He mentally slapped himself for bringing it up.

                “Actually, today wasn’t’ so bad. He stopped yelling, but e sill looses concentration way too easily. It’s a bit tiresome, but bearable to say the least,” she pulled out two lollipops and handed one to him.

                “Thanks.” They sat in a comfortable silence, neither of them dared to break the peace that they both yearned. Ella’s eyes grew heavy and she slowly drifted off to sleep. Gravity played its part and her head landed softly on his shoulder. He flinched in surprise, but quickly shifted closer and placed her head in a more comfortable position. They stayed there for a couple of hours, both succumbed to dreamland.

--

*RING RING*

                “Oh shoot,” Ella fumbled around for her ringing phone. Just as she got it opened, it stopped. “Darn. I’ve got to go home now, Oppa. My parents are looking for me,” she bowed to a tired Sandeul and ran off.

                “Oh, okay,” he rubbed his eyes and waved. He got up and stretched out his cramped limbs. He picked up his bag from the bench and turned to go home, only to walk right into a hug.

                “Thanks again, Oppa. Without you, these past few weeks would’ve made me go mad,” Ella let go of him and went on her tippy toes. She gave him a quick peck on the cheek and ran off. Sandeul watched her running and lightly touched his cheek.

                “Did she just kiss me?” he thought aloud. “She kissed me. SHE KISSED ME!” he smiled wide and ran home, whooping like a madman.

                ‘Maybe one day, I’ll tell you how I feel, Oppa.’

                ‘Maybe one day, I’ll tell you how I feel, Ella.’

--

[MC Tales: ASDL;FKASJD;FLKISJDOFIKASD;FLKAWEMNFOIBHJSL;DFJKAS;DSD;FOLIAWEOP;IBN;SDFKLFJA;………..]


 

I FINALLY UPDATED. OMG. I'M SO SORRY GUYS. I warn you, it's unedited...cause I'm lazy, yo.

*begin excuse* You see, MC Tales went on vacation--*NO I DIDN'T. YOU JUST USING ME AS A SCAPEGOAT WOMAN. Just tell them the truth. And keep me out of it!* Okay, fine. Truth is, I had a MASSIVE writer's block. Like...the biggest one I've had, bar none. No lie, I would sit and stare at my page for hours and end up with nothing. I swear, it was the most torturous thing ever. 

Hopefully none of you were waiting for this >____< If you were, I'M SORRY! If you weren't, well, I'M STILL SORRY. *failure as an author*

COMMENT REPLIES

@ LeePeppers: Yes, you can hit him XD But I take no responsiblities.....LOL 

@ kmn007: .....I took it out before I could corrupt your mind any further LOL I...actually don't know how to void the contract >________< AHAHA FAILED

@ kpop_love_you: ack, that came out wrong. It's not like I won't do double updates, I will, but they won't happen often. Maybe once or twice in this story if my thoughts come out correctly.

So, I hope this was okay! I'll try to update soon. No promises TT____TT

See you in the next Chapter!

-greenninjapanda GNP-

P.S. COMMENTS MAKE ME HAPPY ^^ MORE COMMENTS = MORE UPDATES HAPPY AUTHOR