Survival

Just Can't Say 'No'

 

[MC Tales: It was one of those rare days where Ella didn’t want to go to school. It was one of those extremely rare days where she was not smiling…]

--

                Ella dragged her feet to school, every step felt heavier than the last. It had been a week since she signed the contract and so far, it had been all but fun. However, throughout it all, she tried to keep a smile on. ‘The more I show its effects, the longer I’ll stay in his control,’ she sighed as the school loomed ahead. She entered the gates and students pointed at her, gossiping about how she was following Jin Young around and doing everything he asked. It’s not like she wanted to, she just owed him a favour. ‘Just grin and bear it, Ella. Hwaiting!’ she grasped her shoulder straps and made her way to class. As she took her seat, her phone vibrated with a text message.

                (My locker, lunch -Jin)

                Ella sighed and stuffed her phone into her bag. She saw Sandeul walk in and tried to put a smile on, but was unsuccessful. ‘Why can’t I smile today?’ she frowned. Sandeul sat down next to her with a serious expression. He knew something was up.

                “Speak.”

                “It’s nothing, Oppa,” she attempted to smile again, but failed. Sandeul immediately caught on.

                “You can’t smile?” he looked at her worriedly. Ella nodded. This was something serious. Ella is known for smiling 24/7.

                “I try, but it comes out as a grimace more than anything else,” she sighed.

                “It’s Jin’s fault. I need to have a little talk with him later,” he growled and kicked his desk.

                “No! If you talk with him, it’ll only get worse. I might even get stuck with this contract for the rest of my life.”

                “Then why’d you eve sign it in the first place?!” he snapped. Ella winced. Never had Sandeul raised his voice at her. Seeing her scared expression, he softened and let out a long breath. “I’m sorry, Ella,” he held her shoulder, “I just don’t get why you signed it. It hurts me to see you like this,” he patted her head.

                “Sorry, Oppa, there’s a reason why, but I can’t tell you. Not yet,” she grabbed his hand and gave it a light squeeze. He faintly smiled and nodded. ‘What can’t you tell me?’ he thought, turning to the front of the class.

//

[MC Tales: Girl, you need to get rid of the contract! Can’t you see what he’s doing to you? You can’t even smile for heaven’s sake! *I can’t though…* I know, I know. It’s because of that one time, right? *Let’s not talk about it…*]

//

                “Yah, hold my bag,” Jin Young shoved his books at her and she silently took them. The two entered the cafeteria and joined Sandeul at a table. “Hey, how’s class?” he asked, oblivious of Sandeul’s glare.

                “It’s good. How about you? Feeling the stress of senior classes yet?” Sandeul asked.

                 “Nah, it doesn’t matter. We go that record deal under our belts,” he arrogantly shook his bangs out of his eyes.

                “It hasn’t been confirmed just yet. Besides, you can only rely on music for so long. Getting an education is important in the long run,” Sandeul peeked over at Ella who was reading through her notes and eating her lunch.

                “Hey, can you get my lunch? I’m starving,” Jin Young tossed a bill at her. She picked it up and left for the lunch line. Anger flashed through Sandeul as he watched her walk away. “Ah, this is the life. I don’t have to do anything with her around,” Jin Young evilly laughed. Sandeul’s hands balled up into fists under the table. It took him a lot of will power not to knock his friend out.

                “Why do you even bully her?” he curiously asked.

                “She ruined my shoes.”

                “That’s it? Why write the contract then? Why not ask her to buy you another pair?”

                “I can buy another pair. The contract makes things more interesting, I guess,” Jin Young shrugged. Sandeul tilted his head in confusion ‘Makes things more interesting?’ he thought.

                “How so?” he pressed on, trying to make sense of the situation.

                “Think about it, even without the contract, she would do any favour. Now with it, she only listens to me. And she does anything I ask. I want to see how far she’ll get before she cracks,” he snickered. Sandeul’s jaw dropped. Was he kidding? How far she’ll get? Is he trying to make her insane? “Besides, there’s only one way this contract can be voided and it’s nearly impossible for it to happen,” he smirked. Before Sandeul could ask what it was in hopes of helping her out, Ella came back with a tray of food. She picked up the chopsticks and spoon and started feeding him.

                “You’ve got to be kidding me…” Sandeul looked at his friend in disgust before leaving the cafeteria.

//

[MC Tales: Jin irks me. Why I oughtta strangle him…]

//

                Lunch ended and it was time for P.E. Ella and Sandeul made their way to the gym. It just so happened that today was a joint senior/junior class and to her luck, Jin Young and Tae Mun’s princess was joining them.

                In the girl’s dressing room, Ella quietly changed in the corner when a shadow casted over her.

                “Yah, what did I tell you last time? Did you already forget? Are you asking for another beating? Let me make this as clear as I possibly can. Stay. Away. From. Jin Young. He’s mine,” Haneul hissed at her. Ella obediently nodded her head and avoided making eye contact with Haneul and her minions. She still had bruises on her arms from the last beating. “Good. Let’s go, ladies,” Haneul huffed and bumped Ella’s shoulder as she walked off.

--

                Jin Young pulled on his sweats and checked his reflection. ‘Perfect,’ he smirked. Sandeul tied his laces and jumped up.

                “Let’s go,” they exited the change rooms out to the gym. Ella jogged over and handed Jin Young a water bottle.

                “Thanks,” he took the bottle while checking out the girls. Haneul stood with her friends, fuming. ‘I JUST warned her and she completely ignored it. Now I gotta teach her a lesson,’ Haneul glared lasers at Ella.

                “Okay class, today we’re playing dodge ball. Seniors versus Juniors; Juniors on the left, seniors on the right,” he blew his whistle and lined up the balls. Everybody huddled against the walls discussing strategy. Ella stood off to the side. She hated dodge ball. It was the one sport she at. The teacher blew the whistle once more and the game began.

                Balls flew everywhere and one by one, people slowly got eliminated. A junior boy was hit, leaving four players left on the floor. It was a showdown between Jin Young with Haneul against Sandeul and Ella. ‘What are the odds....’ Ella sighed and dodged a rogue ball. Sandeul threw a ball over, but missed. Ella kept dodging attacks.

                “Throw something! We’re almost done,” Sandeul smiled and passed a ball to her. She caught it and nodded. ‘I have to help him. But, I can’t…’ she stared at the two targets. It’s not like she didn’t want to get them out, it was more like she couldn’t get them out. One would skin her alive and the other would make her life even worse.

                Jin Young saw her stall and smirked. He made eye contact with her and mouthed one word.

                “Pass.”

*tweeeeeeeeeeet*

                “Sandeul, out,” the teacher pointed him off to the benches. He looked at Ella in disbelief. ‘Stupid Jin…abusing his contract…’ he sulked towards the rest of the Junior class. Now, it was up to Ella to get the two out.

                “Let me handle this, Jinnie Oppa,” Haneul seductively flicked her hair and strut forward.

                “You’re call,” he dropped the ball and backed away. Ella trembled in fear. Although her step sister was girly, she was a force to be reckoned with in sports. Especially dodge ball. Haneul advanced on her, her face darkening with each step. ‘Get ready, Ella. Because you’re about to meet you’re maker.’

                “You ready?” she asked. And before Ella could reply, a ball was flying at her. She dodged left and ducked right. Haneul mercilessly threw one ball after the other, releasing her pent up frustrations. ‘This is for being my step sister. This is for being Miss. Goody-Two-Shoes. This is for acting all innocent. This is for hogging all the attention. And this, THIS is for taking away MY Jinnie!’ she launched the last ball over. Miraculously, Ella survived the shower of flying rubber and was on her hands and knees, gasping for air.

                “Get up!”

                “You still have a chance!”

                “What are you doing?!”

                The junior class was on their feet encouraging her to get up. Ella pushed herself off the ground and picked up a ball. ‘I can’t throw this at them. But victory would be so sweet. They’ll kill me. You’ll get respect from your peers. But I’ll be ruined. Just do it! I CAN’T!’ Ella argued with herself and looked from her step sister to her bully. Both were ready and capable of dodging any of her attacks.  

                “Might as well give up, Ella. You know you can’t beat us,” Haneul sneered.

                “Yeah. So why don’t you pass a ball over and we can get this over with,” Jin Young taunted her, holding out his hand for the ball.

//

[MC Tales: DON’T DO IT. DON’T GIVE THEM THE BALL!]

//

                Mustering up all her courage, Ella raised the ball and threw it. Time seemed to move in slow motion the second it left her hand. She watched the ball soar through the air, heading straight towards Haneul.

*tweeeeeeeeeeet*

                Roars of victory erupted from the seniors on the benches. Sandeul rushed over to an Ella, yelping at the sight of her blood.

                “Are you okay!? Why am I asking? You’re bleeding!” he picked her up and rushed off to the infirmary. Jin young and Haneul were surrounded by their classmates, cheering for their victory. He caught a glimpse of Sandeul running out of the gym and smirked. Haneul boasted to her friends about her win.

//

[MC Tales: Blood? What happened? REWIND!]

//

*Moments ago*

                The ball flew towards Haneul. She quickly snatched the ball from mid air and pitched it back at Ella.

*SMACK*

                Ella’s head whipped back and she fell limp to the floor. The ball hit her square in the face. Her mind was blank as she fought to stay awake. She faintly heard a voice talking to her before she was lifted up. Darkness took over and she fainted.

*In the infirmary*

                The nurse felt her nose and checked if anything was out of place. “Thank goodness, nothing’s broken. However, she’s got a really bad bruise,” she sighed in relief. “I would’ve thought Haneul broke it with that shot. This lady here is lucky, she’s the first person I’ve seen to come in with just a bruise.” Sandeul’s eyes widened, but he let out a breath of relief nonetheless.

                “Thank you, Nurse Lee. Do you know when she’ll wake up?”

                “Not any time soon. She was pretty shocked from the hit. Anyway, I’ll be leaving now. You should get to class before the bell,” Nurse Lee bowed out.

--

                “And did you see her fall? HA! Priceless,” Haneul cackled with glee. She had never felt so accomplished. ‘I beat you. For once, you lost to me,’ she chortled, high fiving her friends. “Ah! Jinnie Oppa! Wait for me!” she jumped up from the bench and ran after him. He rolled his eyes and turned around, pasting a smile on his face.

                “Hey, Haneul-sshi.”

                “Hey. We kicked today, huh?” she latched onto his arm and dragged him out of the school.

                “Yea, we did,” he tugged on his arm, but her grip was too tight.

                “You know, our teamwork was really good,” she leaned closer to him. “Maybe we should, you know, get together and be a couple. Think about it, the Kingka and the Queenka, the couple to beat. We’ll run Tae Mun,” she turned to face him. Jin Young blinked at her straightforwardness. There’s one thing for certain, he didn’t like her. Not in THAT way; not in ANY way.

                “Uhh…” he stumbled. What was the best way to reject her? Haneul’s face darkened.

                “You hesitated,” she stepped forward. He staggered back and searched his surroundings for an escape. Ella and Sandeul just so happened to walk by.

                “I’m sorry, Haneul-sshi, but I like someone else. I’ll see you tomorrow,” he waved and ran off. Haneul watched him run away and noticed who he was running to. ‘Ella again?!’ she stomped her foot in frustration.

--

                “Ella! You’re up!” Sandeul closed the door and dropped her bag on the couch. “School just ended. You’ve been out since P.E.,” he chuckled and helped her sit up. He gave her a cup of water which she gratefully took.

                “What happened? And why does my nose feel like it was knocked with a sledgehammer?” she winced, touching her sensitive nose.

                “Might as well have been one. Haneul threw a dodge ball at your face,” Sandeul reached out and her cheek. “I’m sorry I couldn’t stop her in time. Now you’ve got a bruise.”

                “It’s okay, Oppa! Anyway, can we go?” Ella got up. Sandeul hovered close by  in case she fell. “I’m fine. Let’s go!” she skipped out of the room.

                “Hey! Wait for me,” he ran after her, grabbing her bag from the couch. “Your bag. I wrote down the homework in your agenda,” he held out the straps for her. Giggling, Ella slipped into the loops and turned back around.

                “Thank you~!” she hopped ahead, completely unfazed by her bruised nose.

                “It’s hard to believe you were out cold just ten minutes ago…did the hit affect you? YAH! COME BACK HERE!” he laughed and ran after her. Just as they reached the front gates, Jin Young grabbed her arm and dragged her off. “Hey! What are you doing?!” Sandeul chased after them.

                “Borrowing her! See you tomorrow!” he sped ahead, dangerously pulling Ella along.

                “Be care with her! She’s delicate!” he yelled after them.

--

                “YOU WHAT?!” Ella jumped up from her seat. Jin Young lazily some ice cream off his spoon. “Do you know what you’ve done? I’m dead meat….” She silently whined and covered her face.

                “I didn’t say your name, so what are you blathering about?”

                “You didn’t say my name, but you ran away and dragged ME off right after you rejected her. Knowing Haneul, she’ll assume it was me who you were talking about,” she pulled on her hair.

                “Knowing her? You talk like you’re close,” he eyed her.

                “It’s complicated. Anyway, what are you going to do about this?” she grabbed a spoonful of ice cream.

                “Nothing.” Ella dropped her spoon, along with her jaw.

                “Nothing? You have to fix this! Clear up any rumours that are probably spreading this second.” Jin Young abruptly stood up, surprising Ella.

                “Let them think whatever they want to,” he scoffed, “I gotta run. Mind paying for me?” he asked with pleading eyes. Ella sighed and gave him an okay sign. “Thank you! I’ll see you tomorrow.”

                “Yeah, yeah, see you tomorrow,” she bitterly ate her ice cream. ‘Let’s just hope I survive tonight.’

--

[MC Tales: Jin Young, you’re a BIG BULLY! *Am not* YES YOU ARE. Even after you sent her to the infirmary, you still make her pay the bill…..*Whatever* UGH, let’s hope Ella’s life gets better soon…]

 


 

Sooo...this chapter is a little longer than usual (good or bad? I honestly don't know...) Usually I would type the first draft, second draft, edit, and re-edit right into word, but last week I had to cover my co-worker's shifts at work, so I wrote up the first draft by hand on the bus. I learnt two things...1) I still get carsick >_> and 2) I write more than I type ^^ 

Anywho, this chapter was a bit all over the place with no structure...SORRY >____< TBH, I think it's a filler LOL

COMMENT REPLIES

@ kmn007: AHAHAHAHA, I actually used that word again...but then I saw your comment and IMMEDIATELY changed it LOL....*doesnotwanttoinstigateedthoughtsindirectly* XD

@ kpop_love_you: ahhh, as much as I would LOVE to update often..it's near impossible >__< I'm quite OCD with my writing, so the process of producing a chapter is rather...long @_@ 

@ LeePeppers: hahaha, I think I'm willing to share him XD JUST for my readers~~~

@ ShyMin: lol I'm glad you find this cute ^^ I suffer from indifference and can't write fluff/cute scenes well T^T

@ hai_young: he's an abuser of contracts XD hopefully he doesn't actually make her carry him up the stairs >_<

I'll try to get the next chapter up soon |>___<"| no promises though...

See you in the next Chapter!

-greenninjapanda GNP-