Free

Just Can't Say 'No'

 

 

                "Umma, I'm going out for a bit! I'll be home for dinner~"

                "Jin Young called earlier. He said he'll bring you back at exactly 6 pm. He seems nice. You should invite him to dinner tonight."

                "And let Appa interrogate him?" Ella frowned at her father who was "reading" the morning newspaper.

                "Well, he has been dating my daughter, but I haven't met him yet." Her father in, folding the paper he was reading so intently before.

                "Didn't you guys meet at the hospital?"

                "Only briefly, honey. And you guys weren't dating at that time. Although we have to admit, we thought you two were, since he came every day." Her mother looked at her, a mischievous sparkle in her eye.

                "We want to meet him. For all we know, he could be our future son-in-law," her dad smirked. 

                Ella pouted at her parents. They both had that look in their eyes, the teasing glint of mockery mixed with an austere, stone cold glare, emphasizing the severity of their suggestion. There was no way she could weasel her way out of this now, especially when Jin Young had talked on the phone with them already. Her shoulders slumped in defeat. There was really no way out.

                "I'll...see what I can do. See you later..." She left the house in a sour mood. Why were they so persistent on meeting him? It wasn’t like he was asking for her hand in marriage or something. Her cheeks reddened at the thought.

                Still, Ella didn’t want her parents to meet him yet. They were still in the early stages of their relationship and she didn’t think it was a good idea to bring him in, not yet at least, not until she got to know more about him. Not the bully who turned boyfriend. The real Jin Young, the one whom she had heard of from Sandeul, but never really had the chance to meet yet.

                So lost in thought, she hadn’t paid attention to her surroundings and within the blink of an eye, she was on the ground.

                'What the...' 

                "Now, how many times have I told you to watch where you're walking?" a familiar voice asked her. His tone was teasing, yet he still made her heart race. Looking up, she innocently smiled at him.

                "I was looking, Oppa!"

                "You wouldn't be on the floor if you were. Here, let’s get you up." He gently pulled her up and dusted off her skirt. Getting dangerously close to the back of her skirt, Ella grabbed his hands.

                "I'll take care of the rest, Oppa." She blush a crimson red. That was too close.

                "Aww, but I was just getting to the good part..." He sighed, but gave her his signature smirk.

                Her jaw dropped. 

                "What?! Get back here you !" She chased him down the block, closely following him on the wild goose chase he was leading her on. They twisted and turned, winding through parks and alleys, racing past startled pedestrians, neither wanting to give up in the chase. 

                With one last surge of energy, Ella lunged forward and grabbed him by the shirt. She pulled hard, yanking him off balance. They went tumbling down onto the soft, green lawn, rolling a couple of feet from their momentum. 

                They slowed down to a stop, both laying flat on their backs, staring up into the blue sky. Wispy clouds floated by, casting whimsical images on the vast, blue canvas. Bunnies wearing tutus while poking a sea horse riding a balloon had Ella giggling in her own little world.

                Jin Young reached over to find her hand, clasping it tightly as if she was going to float off like the clouds above. They pointed out peculiarly shapes and forms, laughing once in a while at their ridiculous findings. 

                "Let's go inside. I need a drink," he said, pulling her up off the grass. He dusted off her clothes and was stopped, yet again. 

                "Hands to yourself, mister," she warned with a disciplinary smack on the arm. She brushed off the grass and he led her inside. 

                “So close, yet so far,” he sighed dramatically. She punched his arm lightly and followed him inside.

                'Wait, inside? Where are we?' she thought, taking a confused look around. Somehow, he had managed to take her all the way around the neighbourhood and lead her to his house. How the heck?

--

                “Hey, I have a proposition for you,” Jin Young spoke from across the table. They were eating the sandwiches he had prepared. Ella glanced up from her sandwich inspection in confusion.

                “Proposition? Shoot.” She took one last sniff before taking a bite.

                “If I successfully fix your problem, then you have to treat me to a full, three course meal at the pasta house in Apgujeong.”

                “Problem? Apgujeong? What nonsense are you spouting?” She was clearly confused. What was he going off on? What problem did she have? And why would she ask him for help, or need it for that matter? Had she mentioned something to him before about a predicament she was in? There wasn’t anything going on recently, so she didn’t see what his point was.

                “Let me reword that. If I can help you say “No”, you treat me to dinner.”

                She nearly spit out her drink in surprise. So it was that. The lifelong problem she always had. The problem that plagued her throughout her childhood and teens, making her an easy target of ridicule and abuse. The problem that she wanted to fix, but was too afraid to try. Whenever she thought about it, about trying to say that word, her heart would race in anxiety, the ‘What-ifs’ and ‘What-abouts’ drowned the miniscule positive outlook she had tried to muster in the situation.

                “Oppa, it’s not something we can fix over night,” she whispered, ducking her head somberly. He reached over and lifted her head up.

                “I know, but it’s worth a try, right? And besides, we have the rest of our lives to work on it.”

                Her heart swelled with the warmth of his sweet words. Tears threatened to spill from her glistening eyes. Never in her life had she felt this much support from another person, other than from her parents. Whenever she was in a predicament, no one was willing to listen to her. She was always alone. But now, Jin Young was here, taking care of her when she was hurt and staying faithfully by her side.

                “Hey, let’s put those away now, shall we? I hate seeing you cry,” he said, causing the tears to overflow. He walked over to her side and cupped her face, wiping her wet cheeks.

                “Thanks for being here, Oppa,” she croaked, tears still streaming.

                “You can count on me. Now, let’s see what we can do about this problem of yours.”

--

                “It’s simple. Just say no. If I ask for anything or ask you to do something, tell me you can’t do it,” he held her shoulders, looking into her wary eyes. She didn’t like the sound of it already, but they had to start somewhere. He led her into the kitchen, bringing the empty plates with him. “Hey, Ella, can you help me wash these dishes?”

                She nodded her head and made her way over to the sink when he held out an arm with an eyebrow raised.

                “Come again?” he asked. She remembered his instructions he had just told her and silently gasped.

                ‘I failed already? Aish, this is going to be a hard day....’

                “I mean, uh, I-I-I c-can...t help you, Oppa. Wash them on your own,” she managed to stutter.

                “That’s my girl.”

                Dejectedly, she walked back into the living room. This was going to be harder than she had expected. Having said yes to everything her whole entire life, saying no was like telling her to stop breathing. It was second nature to her, a habit she couldn’t break. While other children had to deal with nose picking and nail biting, she had to endure years of mental battles with her own conscience.

She knew the errands she ran weren’t morally right, since she was being used, but she did them anyway in fear of losing someone or causing a death. It was a fight she couldn’t win. However, now, she found some light to guide her out of those dark times. Maybe, just maybe, she had a chance...

--

                “Ella, can you get me a cup of water?”

                “Sure!”

                “Ella....”

                “Ah, I mean....N-n-n-no. Get it yourself...?”

                “That’s it! Good job!” Jin Young ruffled her hair, giving her an encouraged smile. She looked at him, unconvinced. “I’m alive, aren’t I?” he asked.

She paused, reaching out for his hand. He was still there. He didn’t disappear. Although uncertain, she nodded her head slightly.

--

                “Ella, can you run to the store and get some milk? We’re out.”

                “Oka—wait. Wait, I can do this. I’m sorry, but, n-no. Go by yourself, Oppa.”

                “That’s what I wanted to hear! You’re getting better at this, Ella.” She smiled at him, feeling accomplished. Who would’ve thought she would be praised for saying no? But, she still grabbed his hand, double checking if he was still there.

--

                “Ella, can you buy this for me?” Jin Young held up a box of ramen packets.

                “The entire box?” She looked at him in shock, glancing at her wallet. “I gue—”

                “Ugh, you were doing so well earlier!” he wailed, dropping the box in frustration. She stepped back in surprise. What was he getting so angry about?

                ‘Oh, right...’ she finally remembered. Tapping her head lightly, she looked up at him and cleared .

                “Um, I-I mean, no...No, Oppa. We can’t buy those,” she stuttered, trying to steady her wavering voice. He broke out into a grin.

                “That’s more like it. Oh, and I’m getting these anyway because I can,” he smirked. Ella couldn’t help but roll her eyes at him. Why even bother asking her in the first place?

                ‘To help me, that’s why.’

--

                The pair were walking from the market to Ella’s house, bringing bags of groceries for dinner, taking their sweet time for they had an hour until 6. Swinging their hands lightly, they walked in silence, happily enjoying each others’ company. Creating a relaxing mood, the sun set early, casting a pink glow along the horizon, contrasting against the blue tinted clouds. Ella sighed in content. Today was a good day. She got to hang out with her boyfriend, discovering his quirks and charms, observing his movements and learning how the wheels in his erted, diabolical mind turned. Also, she had managed to deny some of his requests; though, she had succumbed to most of them anyway, outweighing her success slightly. But, it was a feat to be proud of.

                ‘One step closer to an ordinary life. One step at a time with him.’

--

                “So, you’re Jin Young.”

                “Yes, Sir. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” Jin Young bowed respectively. He brought the groceries into the kitchen where Ella’s mother was busy cooking. “We bought some things over for you, m’am.”

                “Oh, such a nice boy, you are. Thank you! I needed some more of these things anyway. Saves me a trip to the market,” she gushed. Ella blushed in embarrassment. Her mother was getting carried away, chatting at a hundred kilometers an hour, not giving Jin Young a chance to process her words. Saving him from a massive headache, Ella pulled him away from the kitchen and into the living room. He bowed awkwardly before letting her lead him away.

                “So, what do you do for a living, son?”

                Caught off guard, he stuttered, “I-I-I’m a s-student, Sir. I graduated this year and will be pursuing a post secondary career in Audio and Visual Arts.”

                “You want to become a music producer?”

                “Yes, Sir. It is my dream that my friends and I have had for years. We’ve auditioned for entertainment companies and have been contacted by a few recently.” Ella peered at him in astonishment. They’ve been approached by companies before? How come he never told her?

                “Wow, impressive. So, if you were to marry my daughter, would this gig hold up? Would you be able to support her and your family?”

                “APPA!” Ella hid her face in her hands. Could he be more embarrassing?

                Jin Young chuckled and took one of her hands, looking into her eyes sincerely.

                “I would do whatever it takes to make her life stress free. If producing music won’t be enough, I’ll go searching for another job so that she wouldn’t have to worry about lifting a finger.” She melted at his words, yet again. He never failed to make her feel special.

                Mr. Choi looked at them, nodding his head in approval. If a man were to tell him they would do anything they could for his daughter and even suggest working several odd jobs to make her life easier than it was now, he couldn’t deny him. He watched the two interact, and noticed how Jin Young looked at Ella.

                ‘It was exactly like how I had looked at her mother,’ he thought, reminiscing the memories of his young love. It was a love that had blossomed into a beautiful family. It was a love he never regretted and had a special place in his heart. Despite remarrying, he will never forget his wife, Ella’s mother, his love.

                “Dinner’s ready!” Ella’s step mother called from the kitchen, breaking the three out of their daydreams.

                “Let’s go, son. We have to get some meat on you if you want to support my daughter.”

                “Are you implying that I’m fat, Appa?”

                “What?! No, never. You’re my beautiful daughter. I love you.” He scurried into the kitchen, avoiding his daughter’s icy glare.

                “I’ll love you, no matter what,” Jin Young whispered into her ear. She immediately warmed up and shoved him away.

                “Whatever,” she muttered, but a slight smile adorned her lips.

--

                “You should come by more often, son-in-law!”
                “Umma!”

                “Hahaha, will do, Mrs. Choi. Thank you for the wonderful dinner.”

                “I’m going to walk him to the sidewalk. Go!” Ella shoved him out the door before they could embarrass her further. That didn’t stop her father though.

                “Eat more, okay? I want a strong son-in-law for my daughter. Don’t expect me to approve of your marriage if you come to me like that, scrawny boy!”

                “APPA!” Ella slammed the door shut and pulled him away from the house. “Ignore what he said. Getting ahead of himself,” Ella growled under her breath. She huffed in frustration. They were making it so awkward for her, think about how awkward it was for Jin Young? “I’m sorry,” she mumbled.

                “Don’t worry about it. I planned on putting on a couple pounds before I proposed anyway.”

                “Not you, too!” she groaned. He laughed aloud and pulled her into a hug.

                “I’m just kidding, Ella. It’s too early for that. We still have to get through university and other things in life.”

                “Hahaha, I guess.”

                “Unless you want to get married now?” He wiggled his eyebrow seductively.

                “No.”

                Both Jin Young and Ella froze. There was no hesitation, no contemplation. It was solid. Loud and clear. She had said it without a breath of uncertainty. Jin Young panicked. What if she had rejected him just as easily as she had now when the real time had come? Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea now.

                “Oppa, don’t take me the wrong way, but you know what I mean. Ask me now, and I’ll give you that answer, which was surprisingly easy to say. But, if you ask me in the future...who knows?” she smiled at him. His heart loosened out of its own strangling hold and he was able to breathe a little.

                “Well, seems like your problem is settled. How about a kiss for reward?”

                “No.”

                “I’m not joking, Ella. Please?”

                “No.”

                “This isn’t funny. I’m not trying to help you anymore. Now give me a kiss.”

                “No.” Ella giggled as he stomped his feet.

                “Well, why not?!”

                “Because I don’t want to.” She laughed heartily and skipped off down the road. A loud thud had her turning around and gasping in horror. She raced over to his lifeless body and sat him up. “Oppa! What happened?”

                He stirred a bit and mumbled something softly. She couldn’t hear him and leaned in closer.

                “My heart hurt, that’s all,” he whispered before stealing a kiss on her cheek. She dropped him mercilessly and stood up, walking as far away as she could from him. He ran after her with a smile and hugged her from behind. “Don’t be mad. I didn’t mean it.”

                She held back her tears and stayed in his embrace.

                “Just...don’t do that again.”

                “I’m sorry. You must’ve been scared.”

                “You think?”

                “I won’t do it again.”

                “You better not. Or else I won’t be able to say no again, and all your hard work would be put to waste.”

                “If you relapse, I’ll still be here by your side.”

                “Thanks.”

                “Now, can I get a kiss?”

                “No.”

 


 

AND IT'S DONE~~~~~ WEEEEEE. Thanks for reading this story. It was fun to write and a hoot to post XD Thanks to all you regular commenters and silent readers. It was nice to see that people subscribed and stayed, even though I updated so infrequently. Let's hope I do better with my updates in Epicenter.

COMMENT REPLIES

@ kmn007: So, I can't believe you couldn't figure it out....sigh...hahaha but glad you enjoyed the fic~ and thanks for commenting....a lot... LOL
@ hai_young: hahaha I at writing dramatic stuff...and fluff....thanks for reading and commenting~~~
@ LeePeppers: Yeah! Infinite fic! They're too awesome \>O thanks for reading~

Anyway, hope this was a fun read~

See you in the next Story~

-greenninjapanda GNP-